Respawn - Slay the Sugar Dragon

dragon3.jpg

Hello, my name is Annyshay and I am a sugar addict.

Holidays are the worst time of the year for my sugar dragon.  The sugar dragon uses my joy around baking and sharing with friends as an excuse to expose me to my biggest weakness.  Then comes binges.  Then comes guilt.  Then comes more sugar.  *insert spiral of doom*

I am getting better at being aware of when I enter the spiral.  I have attempted multiple ways of extricating myself in the past, usually with strict rules and short-term challenges (most recently, the whole30).  This works while I'm "on plan", but doesn't establish new habits for the future.  I want to find a new balanced way to slay the sugar dragon.  I will not go on a strict plan to control my weight or cravings.  I can comply with these... until I don't, but they do not change my long-term behavior.  My tools will be mindful eating and saying no to friends who offer me sugar.

This is my current boss fight, and I will keep respawning until I slay the sugar dragon. 

slay-all-the-dragons.jpg

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Awww, the sugar dragon is adorable.

The thing with sugar, is that you'll never avoid it completely without going insane, and it's just a carb. OK, it's a really processed carb with no nutritional benefit except pure energy, but it's not going to actually kill you. I only say this because sometimes having the mindset of guilt or fear around food can make people crave it more. If you accept that sugar happens sometimes, but most of the time you are going to eat other things, you might feel more relaxed when a sugar situation arises.

I quite like the idea of just turning down sugar offered to you, as that's a specific measurable goal and might even train your friends to stop offering you it for good!

Mindful eating is a bit more vague - what do you mean by it? Are there any specific things you could try and make into habits - like only eating at a table, and not doing anything else while eating, that kind of thing?

Best of luck.

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!

I'll join your Boss battle, sugar is my nemesis too. After Thanksgiving I started down that dark path. In my tool bag I have, refusal to buy the sugary things, and I'll replicate your "say no to friends who offer me sugar"Let's do this!

Yay, I have also been using not buying sugar to my advantage. Cheers!

Awww, the sugar dragon is adorable.

The thing with sugar, is that you'll never avoid it completely without going insane, and it's just a carb. OK, it's a really processed carb with no nutritional benefit except pure energy, but it's not going to actually kill you. I only say this because sometimes having the mindset of guilt or fear around food can make people crave it more. If you accept that sugar happens sometimes, but most of the time you are going to eat other things, you might feel more relaxed when a sugar situation arises.

I quite like the idea of just turning down sugar offered to you, as that's a specific measurable goal and might even train your friends to stop offering you it for good!

Mindful eating is a bit more vague - what do you mean by it? Are there any specific things you could try and make into habits - like only eating at a table, and not doing anything else while eating, that kind of thing?

Best of luck.

Sorry, mindful eating for me is eating with a focus on the food. No screens, no work, no distractions other than music and/or conversation. It's the goal, but a hard one for me to attain, yet! Totally agree with your other points, thanks for the reminder.

Love as thou wilt.

I can totally relate to what you're saying. I get sugar cravings, especially for chocolate, and with the holiday season it's a struggle. In fact, I just "fell off the wagon" and overate a lot of dessert. But, we can and will change. Never two in a row! If you make a mistake, keep respawning until healthy eating becomes a habit. Best of luck!

"Don't trade what you want most of all for what you want in the moment." 

I can totally relate to what you're saying. I get sugar cravings, especially for chocolate, and with the holiday season it's a struggle. In fact, I just "fell off the wagon" and overate a lot of dessert. But, we can and will change. Never two in a row! If you make a mistake, keep respawning until healthy eating becomes a habit. Best of luck!

Thanks Aegle, that's the idea!

Love as thou wilt.

Good luck, Annyshay! The sugar dragon (mine's an actual demon at times) is a worthy foe - especially at this time of year. I think your idea of turning down sugar offered to you is a good one. That way, the choices you make, you can be sure they are not made to make other people happy. We're all here to help you in battle! Awesome respawn!

• Like 1

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I was talking about "respawning" with Lightning.  I really think it's a mental battle for me right now.

niobe%2Bquote.png

I’ve been on nerd fitness for a while now.  I never remember when my nerdiversary is because joining this community was a process for me instead of one decision (like most of my life).  It is great to look back, especially when I feel like I need to “respawnâ€.  Each new “low point†is a victory compared to my previous habits.  Progress isn’t linear for me… but it’s hard to deny the progress is there!

This was my challenge (with the druids) a year ago: Annyshay Enjoys The Harvest The total challenge went by in 49 posts (?!?!).  For reference we were on #49 a total of 17 posts before the challenge even started.  I think this is the biggest difference in where I am compared to a year ago.  I have a horde of Gryffindarlings and rebels sharing their strength and gifs with me.  Instead of jumping around from guild to guild looking for a home, I’ve found the compatriots that will follow and support me (and vice versa) no matter what we get up to.

The post from exactly one year ago, I was struggling with my sweet tooth.  My introspection is directly applicable to my current struggles.  I was also dealing with the fact that my knee was still angry from our epic hike of the Presidential Traverse. No injuries to rehab currently, just more strength to seize!

tumblr_n2l8r07EgL1tt7sslo1_500.jpg

Love as thou wilt.