A couple of months ago I set a weight goal to get under 170 (I was at 185) and for a little over 6 weeks I did strict Paleo, didn't drink and worked out 5 days a week. I got so excited when I stepped on the scale at 169.8 just before Thanksgiving. Then t-day happened (Thanksgiving is a big one for my family) plus my husband's family came to visit and basically LIQUOR. Lots of it... I'm still working out but healthy eating and not drinking went out the window.

I think the biggest challenge I've been struggling with lately is liquor. Maybe it's my Irish bloodline but I have a REALLY hard time saying no to a drink. Also, as far as my brain is concerned, alcohol comes in two quantities: none or way too much. There's no such thing as one or two drinks. And while I can't say no to liquor I also don't enjoy it anymore. It wrecks my stomach, makes me feel stupid, and enables bad behavior (like eating shitty food).

I'm setting a new weight goal of 165 (I'm back up to 172 right now) and doing the same thing I did before: strict paleo and no drinking. I know I can do it in the short term because I've done it before, however, I'm a little worried about what comes after that.

Any suggestions on sustaining a long-term approach to becoming a non-drinker?

• Like 2

Drinking is my nemesis, too.  It's such a social activity for us that it's hard to be at our favorite hangout (a bottleshop) and -not- drink.. ugh.  My next 6 week challenge is going to focus on slowly but surely cutting back to a certain number of drinks each week.  It's gonna be HARD and I'll need a lot of accountability help, but I think I am reay...!

Good luck, it's a tough road, but you can do it!

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Bahaha, drinkers unite! 

My challenge this go was cutting back on beer. It's rough. I did well the first two weeks but the Thanksgiving....I did come under my allotted 'beer allowance' for the week......but I drank lots of liqour and wine which did no good :( 

It's tough but it can be done, slowly but surely!!!

I don't think I want to completely cut alcohol out of my lifestyle, but I would like to just enjoy a single drink or two when hanging out rather than half a dozen or more. I think it's the same process though, all mental in turning things down! 

• Like 4

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

holidays are tough.  the annual neighborhood party is at our house.  oof.    one trick i read from Brian Wansink (cornell researcher & author of slim by design) is to only keep one beer cold at a time and store the alcohol far away from where you hang out.   works for cutting back on soda too.   so around 5 you put a beer in the fridge.  

• Like 3

holidays are tough.  the annual neighborhood party is at our house.  oof.    one trick i read from Brian Wansink (cornell researcher & author of slim by design) is to only keep one beer cold at a time and store the alcohol far away from where you hang out.   works for cutting back on soda too.   so around 5 you put a beer in the fridge.  

Intersting idea! I'll have to check out Wansink's book. 

• Like 1

giving advice = easy.  taking advice = mmphm.  

Wansink also said when he and his wife have a dinner party sometimes they pour wine in fresh glasses and leave the old on the table, so you have a more in your face tally of the wine you've drunk/served. he says you eat w/ your eyes.

also there is always the money... depending on whether it's PBR or microbrew we're talking about    :) there are several calculators in that vein at this site http://rethinkingdrinking.niaaa.nih.gov/ToolsResources/CalorieCalculator.asp  

My favorite calories come from alcohol.  We all seem to agree this is the opposite of good eating.  I too have that Irish bloodline - drinking is how you socialize.  Well, the best answer I have is to not drink on most days, and aim for more moderation on the days I drink.  Saturday lunch at a local brewery, that day is somewhat obligatory socially, and there will generally be another day or two where I drink something, and the goal is to keep it to that with more moderation when I drink.  I've got a counter covered in alcohol, more or less, and I just ignore it when I'm not drinking.  Wish I had a neat trick or something, but I'm good at ignoring things and not so good at drinking one of something.

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

I didn't drink for over a year between 2013 and 2014. I started just doing it for a month as a dietary restriction. I was saving money and felt great so I set a goal of three months. I hit that and then went to a year. Hitting small goals and expanding from there seemed to help.

A trick for not drinking socially for me was to get something that felt like a drink. I would get soda water with a lime or root beer in a bottle. This made me feel like I was still participating and deterred the nosy "Why are you not drinking?" crowd. Friends eventually figured it out and would just order me soda water without asking, which helped take the decision out of the equation. 

Getting back into drinking, one trick has been to only drink what I really want and not drink something because it is cheap or just there. I'll opt for one glass of really nice scotch instead of several cheap beers, then switch back to soda water the rest of the night. I also have a no shot rule. 

• Like 2

I didn't drink for over a year between 2013 and 2014. I started just doing it for a month as a dietary restriction. I was saving money and felt great so I set a goal of three months. I hit that and then went to a year. Hitting small goals and expanding from there seemed to help.

A trick for not drinking socially for me was to get something that felt like a drink. I would get soda water with a lime or root beer in a bottle. This made me feel like I was still participating and deterred the nosy "Why are you not drinking?" crowd. Friends eventually figured it out and would just order me soda water without asking, which helped take the decision out of the equation. 

Getting back into drinking, one trick has been to only drink what I really want and not drink something because it is cheap or just there. I'll opt for one glass of really nice scotch instead of several cheap beers, then switch back to soda water the rest of the night. I also have a no shot rule. 

Love it! When going out I'll try to keep this in mind, the 5 buck drafts are not worth it, but a nice 9 dollar craft bottle while out would be a nice replacement- and there is no way I could drink the same quantity without crying over my depleted wallet and I'll still enjoy that delicious brew. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both