Bildungsroman's "Once More, With Feeling" Challenge

As you may or may not have read, my last challenge resulted in an EPIC FAIL (ok, maybe not epic, just a fail on the fitness side of things). Nonetheless, it was a learning experience, so I'm going to take all of the things I learned in my failure and use them to craft an achievable challenge I can be proud of this time around.

Things I learned:

- Trying to go from 27% body fat to 20% body fat in 6 weeks is far too ambitious, if it's even doable within a normal healthy lifestyle (ie no unhealthy crash diets). So this time, my goal will be more modest but attainable: 24% body fat.

- My big failure last time was that I let one crazy, hectic festival week at the end of the challenge undo the other 5 weeks. This time I'll also have a crazy week in the middle, because I'll be going to visit a friend in Barcelona (and maybe taking a side trip to Morocco as part of my Epic Quest to visit all the continents before I turn 30), but I can't use that as an excuse to eat poorly, drink myself silly and basically throw all of my hard work out the window. So one part of this challenge will be to learn to continue my fitness and diet routine even while under extraordinary circumstances.

- Just focusing on how much I spend on a bad habit isn't enough to get it under control - I need to tackle spending in general, and find new ways to eat healthy on an extreme budget (and drink A LOT less).

So now, without further ado, I present:

Bildungsroman's "Once More, With Feeling" Challenge

Fitness and Diet:

1. Be able to do 60 push-ups in a row without teh death (currently... f* if I know)

2. Body fat down to 24% (currently 26.14%)

3. Be able to do all of the exercises in the RSG Dumbbell Division with at least 25 kg (currently 20 kg for some, 17.5 kg for others)

Life:

1. Re-do three of my websites, host them on my own server (this involves getting better at Dreamweaver and properly learning JavaScript)

2. Finish both books I'm currently reading (this and this) and start and finish a third.

3. Spend less money per month* on food, alcohol, and general expenses while still eating healthy - that means cheaper food at the grocery store (and paying more attention to sales), going out less and completely avoiding eating out unless absolutely necessary. Since it needs to be measurable: 100 PLN less on groceries, 100 PLN less on alcohol, 500 PLN less overall in my monthly budget.

Fail goal:

1. Pitch 10 article ideas to 10 different publications (this will be easy, us writers are always getting rejected =)

EDIT: I decided to expand this to applying for 10 different freelance jobs in general, as the opportunities out there have been far more varied than just article writing.

Habits:

1. No dinner until all of my work for the day is DONE**

*I've been keeping a pretty meticulous budget since the start of the year, so I will count this as a success as long as the amounts spent in November are less than the amounts spent in October.

**Since I'm a freelancer and work my own hours, in the evenings I tend to come to a stopping point, make dinner, maybe watch something on TV while eating and generally relax, to the point where even if I have work that urgently needs to be finished afterwards, I can't get myself to do it. Solution? No dinner until my work for the day is finished, even if that's 10 pm.

Here we go!

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Good luck! I hope you're happier with the results this time around and that you've learned enough last time to really make it happen. :) No dinner until work is done is a great idea!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well, I'm looking forward to your photos and recipe ideas. I need to try new recipes too, especially if I want to start cooking more with stuff I find on sale and cheaper groceries in general.

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Good luck! I understand the whole festival/event undoing everything effect. The bane of my existence is craft beer and craft beer festivals. Damn you tasty goodness!

Mmmmmmm. Oh man, I'm so glad there are no craft beer festivals here (yet), or I would be so screwed =)

Looks like we're both going to be working on websites throughout the course of the challenge!

Welcome to the squad and the challenge!

Awesome! The biggest challenge for me is that I'm not actually a web designer =) But I am handy with HTML, getting better with CSS and Dreamweaver, and now I'm hell-bent on mastering JavaScript.

First couple of days and here's how I'm doing:

Fitness and Diet:

1. Did 3x20 push-ups Monday and today

2. The diet still needs work, as I wean myself off of bread and pastries again

3. Doing the first RSG workout in two weeks tomorrow morning... yikes

Life:

1. Nope

2. Nope

3. Have only eaten at home so far, though I did have a coffee while out today

Fail goal:

1. I applied for a blogging job and sent a photo of my cat along with the CV. If I don't get hired, that's a nice big fail number one. If I do, that's an epic win for the company's sense of humor.

Habits:

1. Monday - dinner at 11 pm. Tonight it's almost 9 pm and I'm still working (ok, technically procrastinating a bit by updating here), so it looks like more of the same. Yay!

Oh, and I entered the Beach Challenge as well!

good luck! i undid my last challenge too. here's to hoping this one will be even more awesome.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I was checking all my squad mates challenges and I kept thinking "there's someone else's challenge that I'm not following... but whose?" and BAM, I remembered you. Mostly because you're the only person I know that does Wing Tzun too and we follow each other in Fitocracy. I'll be checking your progress. Great Goals! I'm looking forward to see you nail those goals and set the bar higher for the rest of us! Good luck!

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Off to a pretty good start! I love that you sent a photo of your cat. Ha!

I don't know if I could survive putting off dinner until 11pm... are you managing to keep your energy up until your late dinner?

I'm a pretty late riser, so that's not that unusual for me anyway. My schedule is usually something like, get out of bed by noon, either drink a smoothie and work out on workout days or eat a normal breakfast and get some work done first thing if there's anything urgent, then slack throughout the day, then panic and really buckle down and start working around 6 pm =)

I was checking all my squad mates challenges and I kept thinking "there's someone else's challenge that I'm not following... but whose?" and BAM, I remembered you. Mostly because you're the only person I know that does Wing Tzun too and we follow each other in Fitocracy. I'll be checking your progress. Great Goals! I'm looking forward to see you nail those goals and set the bar higher for the rest of us! Good luck!

Thanks, and ditto!

Well, I can't say I've had the *best* start to the challenge ever, considering I put off my first RSG workout in two weeks for two days and have missed kung fu this week due to still recovering from last week's cold/general scheduling conflicts. Nonetheless, I did two full RSG Dumbbell Division workouts today + the finishing move + I went for a 20-minute interval run because it was lovely outside. The good - my body is sore but in a good way (yay working out again). The bad - I had to go back down to 15 kg (had been at 17.5 or 20 kg two weeks ago), but I think in a workout or two I can move back up to at least 17.5.

My stats:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and I thought I'd post my "work corner", i.e. my ghetto-rigged standing desk plus my big white board o' motivation:

Posted Image

Posted Image

hmm. fitocracy looks fun. does it track food too?

also, good job!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

btw, that workout track fills my heart with fear that I have to race against you!

Haha, well, if it's any consolation that's the workout I normally do twice a week, but I haven't done it for the last two weeks until yesterday (and today as day two this week), so I'm definitely a bit rusty.

That's the only thing Fitocracy needs... Tracking food intake =(

Agreed =/ That, and negative points (ie, -50 for having a beer, -100 for skipping a workout day, etc)

It is only in beta though, and they're adding new stuff all the time.

Ok, now I understand why Steve (and everyone else) advises us not to work out two days in a row... ow. Nonetheless, because of my slacking earlier in the week, I knew that if I didn't do the week's second workout today, I wouldn't get it done over the weekend. So, here it is:

Body Weight Inverted Row:

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

Push-Up:

26 reps (+50 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

24 reps (+46 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row:

7.5 kg x 5 reps (+11 pts)

Side Plank:

30.1 sec (+27 pts)

30.6 sec (+27 pts)

32.8 sec (+29 pts)

33.6 sec (+30 pts)

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift:

7.5 kg x 5 reps (+15 pts)

Dumbbell Lunges:

7.5 kg x 5 reps (+9 pts)

7.5 kg x 5 reps (+9 pts)

7.5 kg x 5 reps (+9 pts)

Plank:

35.4 sec (+16 pts)

27.1 sec (+12 pts)

21.1 sec (+9 pts)

Burpee:

10 reps (+19 pts)

I'm going to use the weekend to recover (while limiting my eating out and drinking) so I can resume going to kung fu after a month off on Monday!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines