Bildungsroman's "Once More, With Feeling" Challenge

WEEK 1 SUMMARY

In general, this challenge is off to a bit of a slow start, and I can't wait to resume kung fu next week to really kick its ass (it's a national holiday this week so no classes). Mostly I'm excited about the fact that I booked a ticket to Morocco as part of my epic quest to step foot on the African continent this year =)

FITNESS

1. Just to get back in the push-up routine (and to not completely lose to Spauracchio in our PvP push-up challenge), last week I did 3x20 push-ups every day. This week I'm starting the 100 push-ups program with the handy help of an app that will yell at me if I don't do my push-ups =)

2. I haven't been eating as well as I'd like, and a weekend Halloween party definitely put me over my recommended booze allowance for the week (but I did have an awesome costume). This week's goal = spend less, eat better, and drink a lot less

3. Did all four RSG DD workouts, and increased the weights from 15 kg to 17.5 kg for some exercises, yay!

LIFE

1. Nothing yet on this front, though this week I'm starting on website number one

2. Definitely not enough reading, though I did order my third book for the challenge, which is appropriate since I'll be traveling to Fez, Morocco in November =)

3. Doing my October budget today, so I know how much I need to save in November

FAIL GOAL

So far, one job application sent, no response yet. Looks like a fail to me... er, yay?

HABIT

So far so good!

WEEK 2 GOALS

Spend as little money as possible, do as many push-ups as possible, play a kick-ass concert on Thursday (which means I need to practice guitar every day this week), do all the RSG DD workouts, start working on website redesign #1!

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

How did you determine your body fat percentage? I don't have access to a gym right now so I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get this done without a membership.

I use one of these to measure and then this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/metric-body-fat-calculator.php

You don't need a gym! I had been doing bodyweight exercises for the first few months, and then when I had a bit of cash I bought these babies:

Posted Image

I'm hoping eventually I'll need to buy more weights for them, but that's pretty cheap compared to the initial investment, which was equivalent to about two months in a gym =)

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Today was a big day. It's a national holiday (All Saints' Day) and it was absolutely gorgeous out, so I went biking to a nearby national park with a couple of friends. All in all, I did 50 km (about 30 miles) and really enjoyed it, especially considering it's probably the last big ride I'll get to do before it gets too cold to bike. Before that, I managed to squeeze in an RSG dumbbell workout in the morning:

bildungsroman earned 1349 points for:

Cycling:

4:51:34.5 || 50.2 km || 10.3 km/hr (+549 pts)

http://runkeeper.com/user//activity/58320989

Push-Up:

20 reps (+39 pts)

25 reps (+48 pts)

15 reps (+29 pts)

15 reps (+29 pts)

25 reps (+48 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

14 reps (+27 pts)

16 reps (+31 pts)

Push Press:

17.5 kg x 5 reps (+17 pts)

Body Weight Inverted Row:

15 reps (+31 pts)

18 reps (+37 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

Side Plank:

33.3 sec (+30 pts)

35.5 sec (+32 pts)

38.8 sec (+35 pts)

42.3 sec (+38 pts)

Dumbbell Squat:

8.8 kg x 5 reps (+17 pts)

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift:

Plank:

32.6 sec (+14 pts)

25.1 sec (+11 pts)

30.7 sec (+13 pts)

Let it never be said that I let a concert get in the way of a workout =) I just finished my RSG dumbbell workout day 2, though it was a bit rushed considering that now I have an hour left to shower and get myself and some pretty heavy gear to soundcheck. Wish me luck!

Push-Up:

22 reps (+42 pts)

16 reps (+31 pts)

18 reps (+35 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row:

8.8 kg x 5 reps (+13 pts)

Side Plank:

32 sec (+29 pts)

33.8 sec (+30 pts)

27.1 sec (+24 pts)

26.9 sec (+24 pts)

Dumbbell Lunges:

8.8 kg x 5 reps (+10 pts)

Plank:

25 sec (+11 pts)

32.4 sec (+14 pts)

21.7 sec (+9 pts)

Burpee:

15 reps (+29 pts)

Ok, I officially can't tell if my arms are killing me today due to push-ups or this...

Posted Image

The good news is, we rocked. The bad news is, I celebrated with two or three beers too many and definitely three shots too many, or so my hungover head is telling me today. Time to make up for it with some serious kung fu-ing this evening!

I use one of these to measure and then this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/metric-body-fat-calculator.php

You don't need a gym! I had been doing bodyweight exercises for the first few months, and then when I had a bit of cash I bought these babies:

Posted Image

I'm hoping eventually I'll need to buy more weights for them, but that's pretty cheap compared to the initial investment, which was equivalent to about two months in a gym =)

Thanks for the links. They look very helpful.

Seriously -- is there any problem that kung fu CAN'T solve???

I don't think so.

Agreed! I went for the first time in a month tonight and it was awesome. I had a big grin on my face for half the drills because I had missed it so much =)

Kung fu was great, I went to a beginner session first just to get back into it and then did the normal intermediate training right afterwards and I managed to keep up pretty well, so luckily the month off didn't completely ruin my form. Can't wait for next week - punching bags!

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

Last week was a series of highs followed by one really big low. The good: kept up with RSG workouts, went cycling for 50 km, got back into kung fu, played a kick-ass gig on Thursday. The bad: we were supposed to play an out of town gig yesterday, and on the way there, our (borrowed) car broke down =( Since going by car was the only way we could get there (bus or train would have taken too long), and since we had no other car and definitely couldn't afford a rental, we had to cancel the gig and disappoint a lot of people, which tends to make one feel like shit for the rest of the day. Solution? Half a bottle of wine (er, fruity calories, yay?) and a long sleep after not much of it last week.

FITNESS

1. I made my first attempts to beat Spauracchio in our PvP push-up challenge, and let's just say he has nothing to worry about... yet. I am doing the 100 push-up program daily though, so I'll give it another try soon.

2. Ate decently during the week, less so on Saturday at a friend's house party. I did manage to eat paleo (bun-less hot dog and various salads) but as for the drinking, well...

3. Continued on with 17.5 kg weights

LIFE

1. I've started planning the redesign of my portfolio website and found a decent host

2. Yeah, about that...

3. So far, so good compared to how much I had already spent at this time last month (did I mention I'm a meticulous budget-keeper?)

FAIL GOAL

Sent a second pitch, this time actually got a reply of maybe!

HABIT

My meals haven't exactly been regular this week, but if I ate dinner it was generally super early before kung fu (can't kung fu fight on a full stomach) or super late after I was done with work or band practice/gig.

WEEK 3 GOALS

Practice guitar more, actually make it to our gig in Warsaw on Saturday, go to kung fu at least twice this week

Sounds like a solid week! And your disappointment in missing that gig shows how much it means to you... in which case I think you deserved that wine, I just hope you poured a bit on the ground for your homies.

>> Jay

BLOG ~ TWITTER

It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity. -- Rollo May

Sounds like a solid week! And your disappointment in missing that gig shows how much it means to you... in which case I think you deserved that wine, I just hope you poured a bit on the ground for your homies.

As I've always said whenever someone is considering wasting alcohol: just think of the poor sober children in Africa.

RSG workout one of two complete! And I moved back up to 20 kg on deadlifts, yay.

Push-Up:

26 reps (+50 pts)

23 reps (+44 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

Push Press:

21 reps (+43 pts)

16 reps (+33 pts)

17 reps (+35 pts)

Side Plank:

33.8 sec (+30 pts)

44.1 sec (+40 pts)

41.8 sec (+38 pts)

40.2 sec (+36 pts)

Dumbbell Squat:

10 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

10 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

10 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

Plank:

40.2 sec (+18 pts)

28.8 sec (+13 pts)

30.6 sec (+13 pts)

Also, I went to kung fu yesterday, and I'm set to go today, so that's one out of three goals this week. Now to get some guitar practicing in between work and kung fu...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines