Bildungsroman's "Once More, With Feeling" Challenge

DIET UPDATE

So this challenge has been the first time I haven't made specific diet goals, but rather overall fitness goals that require sticking to a decent paleo-ish diet to be met. That said, I think I'm failing a bit in this regard (though I haven't taken the measurements to back that up yet, it's just a general observation), as I've definitely had more non-paleo "cheats" than during the past few challenges when I specifically said I would eat 70 or 80% paleo. I've also stopped counting carbs and calories, which may be part of it, because I thought I had a decent grasp on what was in what I was eating, but all too often I find myself still hungry even after a big meal. Worst of all, before going mostly paleo, I never had a sweet tooth - I always preferred salty snacks and I pretty much hate chocolate. Now that those things are off limits, I find myself having the odd craving for something sweet that I never had before. Weird, huh? It must be a mental thing.

I've also started incorporating a few non-paleo staples such as white rice and the occasional sandwich back into my diet, because honestly I can't see any difference when I eat them vs when I eat 100% paleo. Maybe it's just my strong stomach or the lack of any allergies and a strong tolerance for lactose (cheese is my friend), but my body has always tolerated even "bad" foods quite well. That doesn't mean I'll go back to eating anything processed, but I think in general I'm adopting a personal diet philosophy more along the lines of eating fresh things whenever possible, but also eating non-paleo foods of good quality, even if they include wheat, and just avoiding all processed foods rather than adopting a blanket "gluten = bad" approach.

That said, I'm going to focus more on eliminating as much pure sugar from my diet as possible, which means getting used to a less sweet morning coffee and absolutely no sugary drinks when out on the weekend, and hope that along with regular workouts will get me closer to my body fat % goal.

BILDUNGSROMAN:ROGUE MONK LVL 4

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

Halfway through! This week involved a week of eating well, doing both RSG workouts and two days of kung fu, and then a weekend of travel, a concert and a lazy, lazy Sunday completely off the paleo wagon - but I don't feel bad about it at all, it was well-deserved after a stressful week and I had tons of fun with great company. This week: kicking ass for four days, then jetting off to Barcelona for a few days, then jetting off to Morocco for a few days after that =)

FITNESS

1. Still on 100 push-ups, still not up to 60 (or the PvP challenge yet). I think I might have to do even more push-ups than just the 100 push-up program if I want to beat Spauracchio (or just not fail)

2. Again, awesome week (except for indulging in popcorn during a friend's movie night, my stomach did not like that), less awesome weekend, food-wise anyway. I think I need to eat less in general if I want to see results in three weeks

3. Up to 20 kg for everything! Gonna move up on deadlifts this week

LIFE

1. Didn't have time to work on my websites at all this week =(

2. Finished one of three books, started another!

3. I seem to be on track, though going to Warsaw and spending most of Sunday at brunch definitely cost more than I normally would spend at the weekend

FAIL GOAL

Three down, seven to go...

HABIT

Yup

WEEK 3 GOALS

Finish all of my current work before going to Barcelona, go to kung fu twice, do both weekly workouts before leaving for Barcelona

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 8 | CON: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 3Current Challenge | Bildungsroman's Epic Life | Fitocracy | My blog

Ugh, it's exactly 0° outside (32°F). I really wanted to go for a run, but I'm not a fan of pneumonia. Besides being freezing-ass cold, it's also grey and generally miserable, which is hardly motivating me to do my RSG workout this morning. I think I feel the S.A.D. setting in... =( I just have to keep telling myself, "only two days until sunny Barcelona"... and then I remember just how much I need to get done in those two days...

Alright, is there any indoor activity I could substitute a run with (keeping in mind my tiny apartment)?

RSG DD Day 1/2

I have to admit, it was really, really hard to get motivated to work out today. I procrastinated for a good two hours, and I didn't end up running like I wanted to (way too cold), but I did finally get through it, and I did move up to 22.5kg on most workouts.

Push-Up:

26 reps (+50 pts)

16 reps (+31 pts)

26 reps (+50 pts)

Push Press:

22.5 kg x 5 reps (+22 pts)

20 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

20 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

20 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

20 kg x 5 reps (+20 pts)

Body Weight Inverted Row:

22 reps (+45 pts)

20 reps (+41 pts)

16 reps (+33 pts)

Side Plank:

31.9 sec (+29 pts)

34.9 sec (+31 pts)

41.5 sec (+37 pts)

42.5 sec (+38 pts)

Dumbbell Squat:

11.3 kg x 5 reps (+22 pts)

Stiff-Legged Dumbbell Deadlift:

11.3 kg x 5 reps (+30 pts)

Plank:

31.1 sec (+14 pts)

27 sec (+12 pts)

22 sec (+10 pts)

Burpee:

10 reps (+29 pts)

I've got a question for you! Your workouts seems quite long - I'm just curious, how much time does it take you to do all that in a day?

About two and a half episodes of The Daily Show/Colbert =)

They're that long because I'm actually combining two days of RSG Dumbbell Division workouts into one, so instead of doing four days per week as suggested (which I know I just couldn't fit logistically), I do two intensive days per week. I'm hoping Steve wouldn't disapprove too much...

I am really feeling you with the demotivation on the whole cold/dark/ winter thing. It's hard to want to change into work out clothes when being in a comfy sweater with a cup of tea seems so much better. But great job on getting your work out in! Keep going!!!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

RSG DD Day 2/2

Ok, this one was a bit of a quickie, because I've got a plane to catch! Thanks for your support, and see you guys in a week!

Body Weight Inverted Row:

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

Push-Up:

31 reps (+60 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

23 reps (+44 pts)

Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row:

11.3 kg x 5 reps (+16 pts)

Side Plank:

40.7 sec (+37 pts)

37.9 sec (+34 pts)

44 sec (+40 pts)

42.2 sec (+38 pts)

Dumbbell Lunges:

11.3 kg x 5 reps (+13 pts)

Plank:

33.6 sec (+15 pts)

37.5 sec (+17 pts)

30.8 sec (+14 pts)

Workout update: On the road edition!

After being in a place where using the Internet meant making the trek a few blocks to the local Internet cafe and paying 5 dirhams (about 60 cents) an hour to use ancient Dells running Vista, you know you're back in civilization when the bus from the airport has wifi. At least, that's how I felt when I landed in Barcelona after what seemed like weeks (really three days) in Fez, Morocco. The overall experience was amazing - I stayed with a Moroccan student and her family, and by family I mean 10 people (mom, aunts, uncle, brother, cousins) living in one apartment, sleeping in the giant family room with couches lining all the walls, eating shawarma just about every day, drinking espresso and avocado shakes (and nothing else really, especially not booze), smoking shisha and learning more about Moroccan culture and people from a few hours of sitting around, playing cards and pool in a shisha bar than I could ever have from any guidebook or tourist expedition. Also, mission: step foot on the African continent before age 30, accomplished!

As far as workouts go, I only managed to follow the 100 push-ups routine every day while in Barcelona, because there literally wasn't enough room to do it in Fez. That said, I also spent one day in Barcelona biking through the Spanish countryside (we probably did about 25-30 km up and down hills):

Posted Image

In Fez, I spent one entire day walking through the Medina (old town), which was a giant maze and I have no idea how far (or where) I walked and was lost pretty much the entire time, but it was pretty damn awesome:

Posted Image

Back in Barcelona, I had one day to do actual sightseeing (the rest of the time I had been hanging out and partying with my friends, but it wasn't my first time there so I didn't feel bad about skipping all the touristy stuff). So I started at the Sagrada Família and walked through basically all of central Barcelona:

Posted Image

I have to say, hanging out on the beach in a t-shirt in late November was quite satisfying, especially since it's a balmy 0 degrees C here in Poland right now.

Posted Image

All in all, the trip, though painful on my wallet (more on that later) and not great on my diet, was a success, and more importantly, I think it will be a blueprint for how I travel from now on: staying with locals and not in hotels/hostels, not trying to see every tourist sight (or none at all in some cases), working and working out while on the road, and in general taking my time and going without a plan or a map and just enjoying the act of being in a new place.

I love traveling and I remember the first time I went to Barcelona I had some mixed feelings, at the beginning I stayed with a local family and they enjoyed going to the beach a lot, I mean, every day. I could understand that, but for me that I live in the caribbean sea (I actually can see it if I stand up and smell it if the day is windy) the beach and the mediterrean sea was nothing enjoyable at all, so I prefered walking around Masnou (the town I was staying) and staying home and read until dinner. Then, after I had a "little talk" with the family I was staying with, I went to Barcelona itself and stayed with a friend and I did some heavy sightseeing and enjoyed a lot my time there, I fell in love with the architecture, specially the Sagrada Familia and the Park Guell. I'm glad you've enjoyed spending time in such a beautiful city, did you pass by the docks? did you love them as I do?

Now, the Qun demands some more pictures... Keep rocking that inspiring life of yours!!

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Post-vacation mega workout:

Push-Up:

13 reps (+25 pts)

13 reps (+25 pts)

15 reps (+29 pts)

15 reps (+29 pts)

12 reps (+23 pts)

12 reps (+23 pts)

10 reps (+19 pts)

30 reps (+58 pts)

24 reps (+46 pts)

20 reps (+39 pts)

16 reps (+31 pts)

25 reps (+48 pts)

Push Press:

Side Plank:

31.1 sec (+28 pts)

33.9 sec (+30 pts)

42 sec (+38 pts)

42 sec (+38 pts)

Dumbbell Squat:

Plank:

33.4 sec (+15 pts)

28.3 sec (+12 pts)

32.8 sec (+14 pts)

Body Weight Inverted Row (Let Me Ups):

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

15 reps (+31 pts)

Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row:

Dumbbell Lunges:

11.3 kg x 8 reps (+14 pts)

Jump Rope:

0:04:00 (+24 pts)

...or, my attempt to make up for a week of no weight training in one day.

Are you alive after this workout? Impressive! Really impressive!

I like the idea about travels - I found that I get too goal oriented (e.g. see all major touristy vacations in the first 8-9 hours at a place, reminds a rats race rather than vacation). And I also notice that if I center my trips around people, and enjoying time with people; well, the vacations overall are more enjoyable. I need to remember when planning my upcoming trip:).

Haha, I was actually catching up on my guilty TV pleasures, Castle and Fringe... shhhhh.... don't tell anyone, they all think I only watch highbrow stuff like Walking Dead =)

It definitely was! And as soon as I get caught up with work I'll finally go through the 500 or photos I took with my good camera and eventually post them.

I like the idea about travels - I found that I get too goal oriented (e.g. see all major touristy vacations in the first 8-9 hours at a place, reminds a rats race rather than vacation). And I also notice that if I center my trips around people, and enjoying time with people; well, the vacations overall are more enjoyable. I need to remember when planning my upcoming trip:).

Definitely! Really the best thing to do is minimal research beforehand (that can only lead to disappointment) and stay with someone local who can really show you what's worth seeing, as well as how they live.

WEEK 4 +5 SUMMARY...OOPS

I just realized that my travels kinda cut the last two weeks in half, and before I knew it we're on the final week and I'm (very) slowly inching towards my goals. Well, some of them, anyway. Time to kick it into super high gear this week!

FITNESS

1. Started week 6 of 100 push-ups, so in theory I should be able to do 100 push-ups by the end of the week, so I don't totally lose to Spauracchio... right? Here's hoping...

2. No idea on the body fat, but visually I seem to be about the same =/

3. Up to 22.5 kg! That means one more step to 25 kg, which I'm going to try on deadlifts during the next workout

LIFE

1. This might become another fail goal =( I haven't had time to touch a single website or do a single javascript tutorial for three weeks

2. Three books read, fourth started!

3. If I didn't count how expensive everything was in Barcelona, I'd be doing great right about now. Unfortunately, the trip totally threw my budget out the window (but it was worth it)

FAIL GOAL

Six down, four to go.

HABIT

I couldn't maintain this on the road for obvious reasons (plus I wasn't working that much), but in general I think this has become a bonafide habit on my normal work days =)

WEEK 6 GOALS

3 days of kung fu (one down), do both days of RSG work-outs, catch up on all of my work and at least start on one of the websites I meant to do this challenge. Oh, and that push-up thing I keep putting off...

Wow! Still really impressive! This challenge kind of flew right by me. I guess I do feel challenged, and I did some new things, but I still have things on my list that I have not touched/did...

Yeah, it seems that from every challenge I learn more about what NOT to do than what to actually do to hit my goals...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines