• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Marenkix

Anyone practising Krav Maga here?

I used to do krav maga but i moved to mma. Nowadays i do defendo which is pretty close to Original maga. Less technigues but same amount of applications. Training is very similar.

• Like 1

My Krav gym made a pretty sweet video demonstrating the entire curriculum so that you can see how the techniques can be used. 

(I'm the biker chick in the black jacket.)

Krav level 2 tests are no joke... I just leveled up on Saturday. It took every ounce of will power not to give up, but was totally worth it. :-) 

@kathrynl, how'd your test go?

• Like 1

My Krav gym made a pretty sweet video demonstrating the entire curriculum so that you can see how the techniques can be used. 

(I'm the biker chick in the black jacket.)

Krav level 2 tests are no joke... I just leveled up on Saturday. It took every ounce of will power not to give up, but was totally worth it. :-) 

@kathrynl, how'd your test go?

Your gym made that video?! It's so cool! I think someone from my gym posted it as well. Where do you train?

I finally made it through the test, but I'm waiting for my score. Waiting is killing me.

• Like 1

Spared with a Krav guy on Friday in my MACP striking class at work. He seemed to be able to mix the best practices from MMA striking and Japanese Jujitsu very well. I'm still recovering. His ground work was weaker than his standup/takedown, but he was comfortable on the ground and made no rookie mistakes.

We had a Krav level 2/Judoka guy show up a while back, he was completely uncomfortable on the ground. Both Judo and Krav should have enough ground work so that your at least comfortable on the ground, but not in his case.

It just goes to show, it's not your art, it's you and your trainers.

I know it's from a while ago but I just watched that lowline Parkour video and had a little freakout, it looks AMAAAZING AND I WANT TO LEARN THAT SOOOOOOO MUCH HOLY SHIIIIIIT!

Yes.  I just watched it myself.  It seems to have all the useful parts of parkour with none of the ridiculous flying fsck-ups.  I don't have the time to get injured, and the lowline parkour seems like a great way to train.

• Like 1

i lift weights(a lot) and train out with different martial artists. i have tried dragging myself to tracks to get aerobic conditioning up. but aerobic conditioning get's you to a fight and anaerobic conditioning get's you through a fight. it would be smart to focus keeping the speed up in weight training so that you don't become sluggish. but it doesn't happen overnight anyway so no stress about it.

by gaining 24 kilograms of muscle mass in three years without doing any cardio, speed training, mobility training or even a single stretch. it makes you slow down a bit. i fol example feel like i'm dragging myself in fudge when sparring. but as i said, it doesn't happen overnight

• Like 1

I believe that whole "muscles slow you down" is predominantly a myth, probably propagated by instructors to keep [impatient] students skill training and to trust the art. (Really no art will be effective if one doesn't trust it.)

Besides, all the added mass doesn't seem to slow Broly down.

7207971.jpg

• Like 2

yeah the muscle doesn't make you slow. but not teaching the new muscle to be fast can make you bit slower. i train with competitive athletes and compared to them i'm slow. but compared to normal person i'm actually faster. and i always compare to the top notch guys. my training program hasn't focused on doing any kind of explosivity training and i haven't done cardio so i'm bit of a slugger but it doesn't mean i'm so slow that i can't cope with it.

• Like 1

I'd say it's the lack of practice that makes one "sluggish". Complex movements such as the ones performed in martial arts are primarily a function of motor control, and I believe it's the time spent not practicing that slows down movement, not the added muscle mass, in the same way that reloading a rifle or speaking a secondary language are slower when one is out of practice.

Like I've said in previous threads, you can lift weights or do cardio or HIIT or plyometrics; whatever. But unless you're Georges St. Pierre, if you want to be the best that you can be at a particular martial art, you should probably spend all that weights/cardio time practicing your martial art instead.

• Like 4

Good Afternoon,

I've been doing martial arts most my life.I've been doing KMG for a little over 2 years now. Currently preparing for my GIC 1. Your fitness program as a fighter has to be as varied as the moves you practice. That means explosive full body exercises and cardio is key. Look at programs like crossfit and those that emphasize using your natural bodyweight. An most of the time you,can find free routines with limited equipment to depend on all over the internet. As a fighter you should be tailoring your fitness regimen to shadow it's real world application, which is survival and defense.

Again I highly recommend cardio mixed with all training routines. If you can't go a 2 minute round on a bag or with a partner, then how can you expect to survive an encounter with multiple attackers in the "real world". Thank you for your time

• Like 1

When going with Krav (as with any martial art)... try some different schools.  Different schools focus on different things.

Some are more fitness based.  Some more "traditional" based.  Some focus more on self-defense.

I've been training for 6 years now... and teaching for 2.   We tend to focus on a cross between "traditional Krav Maga" and self-defense related.    If you live in Maine, look us up (krav maga maine will find us on Google).

I just started taking Krav Maga. I don't know enough about technique yet for an educated opinion, but god damn the energy level is high! The physical exertion really wears me out but mentally I'm more alert, since we do a lot of exercises that involve reacting to others' movements. An interesting experience for sure.

Another Krav Maga newbie here.  I have to commute to the class, but it's worth it.  Attended a few classes now, and one private lesson with the main instructor to make up for missing some class routines for my work shift pattern.

It really is a blast, and I see it becoming a regular part of my active living routines!

Hi guys I'vet been doing krav for about 8 months now I train at least 3 hours a week literally just got home from tonight's session 😆... I definitely agree with trying not just different schools but different instructor's within them too as I have found training also changes from instructor to instructor. My instructor is ex royal marines fitness and combat instructor so the intensity can be unbelievable at times but I have also trained with another instructor withing the same school when I was visiting family over Xmas... I look forward to hearing more about you journey into the world of krav maga ☺

I did Krav Maga for about a year.  I think overall its good.  My only criticism is that it might not be really complete to prepare you for the mental aspects of fighting.  I recognize this can be potentially dependant on the school and teacher too.

I've done all types of martial arts and years of Kickboxing and Grappling.  Where your fighting full contact all the time and learning how to take a hit. Along with dealing the tension, adreline and nerves of fighting in real time.   Plus have been in plenty of unwanted street altercations in my life that have come my way and had no way out but fighting.  So i know being able handle that mental tension is key.

When I did Krav allot of the other people in my class didn't do any other form of martial art where you would spar in real time.  So I felt most of them even if they knew all the techniques in the world, still wouldn't know how to handle the nerves of a real life interaction.  Or just having that true fighting instinct of going in for the kill.  Lot times I would blast a hard kick on the pads and these guys would balk.  Or we would do drills in real time and I wouldn't even break a sweat.  

Other than that the content was good, however seems like some people had a built a false sense of invicibility / security with just doing it alone.  Again, this is most likely very dependant on the school / teacher and audience being catered to.

I just wanted to say, **Bless This Thread**

I signed up for a Knife Defense Seminar for weekend after next, and put my name on the list for "more info" from the place holding the seminar, which led to me last night getting talked into attending a Krav Maga class this Monday to try it out. I've been interested for a while, but thought I had to get to a certain minimum level of fitness before I started, but the instructor was just like "We'll start you from wherever you are at, no matter what your fitness level is."

So I'm a mix of nervous and excited, and came to the forums looking for any words of guidance and, ta-dah! here's this thread!

So thank you everyone who contributed!

On 29/02/2016 at 12:12 AM, ninjaking said:

I did Krav Maga for about a year.  I think overall its good.  My only criticism is that it might not be really complete to prepare you for the mental aspects of fighting.  I recognize this can be potentially dependant on the school and teacher too.

I've done all types of martial arts and years of Kickboxing and Grappling.  Where your fighting full contact all the time and learning how to take a hit. Along with dealing the tension, adreline and nerves of fighting in real time.   Plus have been in plenty of unwanted street altercations in my life that have come my way and had no way out but fighting.  So i know being able handle that mental tension is key.

When I did Krav allot of the other people in my class didn't do any other form of martial art where you would spar in real time.  So I felt most of them even if they knew all the techniques in the world, still wouldn't know how to handle the nerves of a real life interaction.  Or just having that true fighting instinct of going in for the kill.  Lot times I would blast a hard kick on the pads and these guys would balk.  Or we would do drills in real time and I wouldn't even break a sweat.  

In our Krav class we do sparring in the ring for full rounds, not every time but quite often. Is that not the norm? 

We also don't do any levels which makes me sad cause I love the thrill of hitting targets! 

23 hours ago, Plabebob said:

In our Krav class we do sparring in the ring for full rounds, not every time but quite often. Is that not the norm?

The norm is that in Krav, like in all arts, you have lots of schools with lots of ideas about what "Preparedness" is. Some believe in sparring and pressure-testing, and others do not. I personally think that at least some sparring and at least some pressure testing is necessary, and it's good to see that there are Krav schools that feel the same, but it's not a universal thing.