• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Marenkix

Anyone practising Krav Maga here?

On 15/11/2017 at 4:22 PM, Kishi said:

The norm is that in Krav, like in all arts, you have lots of schools with lots of ideas about what "Preparedness" is. Some believe in sparring and pressure-testing, and others do not. I personally think that at least some sparring and at least some pressure testing is necessary, and it's good to see that there are Krav schools that feel the same, but it's not a universal thing.

I think the problem is that people tend to learn things like Krav for self defense and when they do so they have this image in their head of practicing specific moves that will get them out of trouble no problem. That's why a lot of casual martial artists don't spar I think, and a lot of those I do spar with absolute minimum contact.

I totally agree with you that sparring is necessary to learning any martial art or combat sport, because it's the only real way of being able to make sure you can do what you need to do against a resisting opponent.  

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 1:45 PM, Nak said:

I think the problem is that people tend to learn things like Krav for self defense and when they do so they have this image in their head of practicing specific moves that will get them out of trouble no problem. That's why a lot of casual martial artists don't spar I think, and a lot of those I do spar with absolute minimum contact.

I totally agree with you that sparring is necessary to learning any martial art or combat sport, because it's the only real way of being able to make sure you can do what you need to do against a resisting opponent.  

TBH I find the hardest thing about sparring is being the attacker! We learn so much about how to stop attacks but not much about starting a fight/how to be the aggressor. I've not been doing it very long so maybe that's something I'll be taught once I'm a bit more skilled - we have learnt some knife attacks so we can help each other practice, but I find it's a really difficult mental shift to be the 'bad guy'. 

This actually came up in a class not long ago & our teacher said that obviously there might be times when you choose to pre-empt a fight if you literally can't get out of it & want to get your hits in first. So far everything we've learned is reactive though.