Sir Shaggs: From Sloth to Honey Badger

Why a Honey Badger? 'cause they crazy! NSFW due to strong language

Prelude:

36 years old former United States Marine, husband of 15 years, father for 5 years of 1 child

I've been working behind a desk for 13 years, the last five being on 3rd shift. I can't live like this anymore. I need to do something more I want to go back but time travel is not readily available to the masses. So it starts here, now, my journey from a sloth to honey badger.

My final goal will be landing a job with a police department and finishing police academy, but before I can get there I need to set some short and intermediate goals. The first mile stone will be to complete the chips test in the 50th percentile so that I can stand out from the rest of the applicants and gain a seat in front of the oral board.

To pass the chips test in the 50th percentile I need to:

• Perform 36 situps in under a minute
  • Sit and Reach further than 16.5"
  • Perform 27 pushups in under a minute
  • Run 1½ miles in under 12:24

To complete these tasks I have chosen crossfit as my means.
I will follow a workout regieme as closely as my body will allow me as I am a newbie to crossfit and do not know where I stand in my physical standards, an initial assessment is a must.
I have found a beginners guide here on nerd fitness:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/03/01/a-beginners-guide-to-crossfit/
and will start with Cindy ( she seems like a swell girl) specifically:

AMRAP 20min:

• 3 Pull-ups
  • 6 Push-ups
  • 9 Squats

Time to gather my gear and head off to the gym

• Like 2

Sir Shaggs

Xeph Level  newb aspiring to ranger

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 1

OMGWTFBBQ

so crosfit is serious business...I did NOT make a full 20 minutes.

I started out with a warm up:

• 2-3 minutes of jump rope (who cares if you mess up, push yourself!)
  • 25 jumping jacks (pull your shoulder blades back, extend arms and really focus on the movement)
  • 5 lunges (each leg)
  • 10 hip extensions
  • 5 hip rotations each leg (like you’re stepping over a fence)
  • 10 forward leg swings (each leg)
  • 10 side leg swings (each leg)
  • 10 spiderman steps (each leg)

I hadn't jump rope in over a decade there was one jump available at the YMCA let me just tell you it was fun. I I would jump jump..hit myself in the back of the head..start over...jump jump jump foot catches...jump whack back of head...

grand total 40 junps in 2 mins, best was 5 consecutive jumps in a row whacked myself about 8 times and caught my foot 3. I think I need a longer rope, rest of warm up went fine.

As far as crossfit:

Pull ups were the first to become harder after the 4th or 5th set. I blame the Marine Corps. as I am not able to kip. after awhile I was able to bycycle some of them or moer like flopped as a fish.

push ups became harder and harder by the 5-6 minute marker

squats I could have still managed but by 7 minutes I was basically done and about to throw up.

next time I am out I will start with:

AMRAP 10 min

• 1 Pullup
  • 4 Push-ups
  • 7 Squats

after failing the crossfit I decided to work more on my legs for running as my arms were done from the pull ups and push ups

I did

4 set 10 reps on this one machine for the calve muscle with 35 lbs on it

and

4 set 10 reps of 155 on the leg press

At work I am going to have to research a better way to improve. There was a 30 crossfit book or something I came across will have to look into that more.

I know the senior citizens on the bikes were enjoying the show. Glad no one was watching me utilize the jump rope. now off to ice the back of my head. plastic beaded jump ropes sting

• Like 1

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 2

Thrusday Dec 4, 2014

I couldn't get to sleep right away. Tossed and turned for 4 hours. Overall got 3 hours of sleep.

Didn't drink near enough water that I should have.

morning weight was 162. Glad to see I am mantaining and gaining.

so sore from that training and lack of sleep.

Worked, had plans to get oil change, hair cut, and some air filters for the house but yeah don't really have the energy to even sit. :P

Decided to get the Air filters and some avocado's before heading home from work.

Made appt for oil change on Saturday, and will get a hair cut then as well

Good news I finally received my acceptance letter to the community college so I will head there Friday before workout session to get that squared away. Hopefully I will be able to make it to work out session. If not I will just run up and down my stairs at home many times.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 3

Friday Dec 5, 2014

Got to bed early but ended be woken several times from phone calls. That's the price of working 3rd shift and having to sleep during the day.

Morning weight 162 ish I put the ish part as I was wearing jeans and hadn't used the restroom yet. I try to weigh at the sametime each day using the same factors clothing and bathroom.

still sore around the knee area and in the chest.

ending up going to college to register for some courses. used only the stairs and sprinted them as I didn't see myself making it to the gym, also parked as far from the entrance as possibel. little less sore but I can tell I used some mucles I didn't know I had.

after speaking with a few from here in chat I've decided on a program to follow

Powerlifting 5x5

I will start this on Monday, can't wait.

Not too bummed about missing my workout as I will mostly be chopping wood this weekend by hand if my neighbor gets his chainsaw from his brother. had a tree cut down by a pro and he left me the wood in 3 foot sections. should be fun.

I also stopped by the library on the way home to pick up Star Wars "Heir to the throne"

unfortunately the copy they had was missing so I ended up reserving a copy from another library to be sent over and pick up "The Dark Tower" by Steven King as I recently heard it mentioned in chat.

going to cut up an avocado for my evening snack, wind down before bed, and start this book.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Keep pushing it brother! I don't miss those PT tests at all, but bro you can do better then top 50% keep pushing your limits! Looking forward to your next post.

Thank you for the support!

There are only 2 percentile's to the test...40th and 50th so I am aiming for the higher. Once you reach the numbers they actually stop you except for the run time but even then I guess the card just says you passed either 40th or 50th no actual scores.

My brother has taken this a few months back and currently doing background checks for one department. So with him I get a little insight of the process.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day4/5

Weekend

I failed on drinking water as much as I should...rest days but should really have drank more water

Maintained 164  both days

Day 6 Monday

wieght 164

started the stronglifts 5x5 today

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

warm up

slow with the squats and just the bar slowly adding weight 10 lbs then 20 lbs do 5x1

focusing just on correct form and getting those stabilizer muscles working

with bench warmed up with just the bar adding 10lbs at a time 5x1

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 75lbs

5x5 bench @ 85lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 85lbs

Stretched afterwards

it's a good start We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Caffeine free teas is how I get my water intake up bro. When I have some flavor to my water I tend to drink more. I also drink a big glass of water as soon as I wake up. I don't know if that helps at all, but great job so far brother.

• Like 1

-The Muscle Professor-

OtherWorldIron.com 

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. -Rumi-

Day 7

Tuesday Dec 9, 2014

sleep 6.5 hrs

woke up a little sore...as the day progress so did the soreness.

was going to do cardio but...yeah too sore

Day 8

Wednesday Dec 20, 2014

Weight 163

sleep 7 hrs

Woke up even more sore wasn't sure how I would get through working out. walked around at work and tried to massage the muscles as much as possible

got to gym

walked a quarter mile to get rid of the last of my soreness before workout

warmed up on squats with just the bar I had watched the video for this second part of the workout and must have missed the fact that I wasn't suppose to start off with so much weight so my legs weren't sore ooops

also messed up with the fact I was suppose to do overhead bench press before dead lifts

Main Workout

Squats 5x5 @ 70 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 55 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 70 lbs

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 9

Thursday Dec 11, 2014

not quite as sore as I did on tuesday, feeling good.

got about 7 hours sleep...really need to try and get more.

went and got blood drawn need to do this every couple months to make sure my thyroid is within normal standards (specs) whatever the medical term is. will get the results next Friday. This was the first time it actually hurt to get blood drawn. not sure if it was due to not allowing the alchohol to dry or what. no bruising so blame it on the alchohol not drying.

Day 10

Friday Dec 12, 2014

7.5 hours sleep more than yesterday so that's good

weight 163.5 I feel this is good for now , as long as I don't see weight loss due to hyperthyroid. I have noticed  I've gone back to my normal belt hole WOOT!

started warms ups with squats and just the bar 5x1 slowly adding 5lbs doing an additionl 5reps with each weight added up to 75lbs

went to bench press starting with just the bar 5x1 slowly adding 5lbs doing an additionl 5reps with each weight added up to 90lbs

went to barbell rows with a 25lb weight both sides...felt good finally using the new size. since warmed up by then no need to work up with it.

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 75lbs

5x5 bench @ 90lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 90lbs

Afterwards I did my stretch routine and hit a goal...I touched the mat for the first time in one of the stretches...felt good...I want to exclaim WOOT! but don't think anyone would understand

legs are worked arms and chest worked...I feel like I did something this session.

I feel like drinking.but as I type this I now have a kitty on my lap...I am trapped.

http://www.whompcomic.com/comics/2014-11-03-Just-Sit-Idly-Die.jpg

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Caffeine free teas is how I get my water intake up bro. When I have some flavor to my water I tend to drink more. I also drink a big glass of water as soon as I wake up. I don't know if that helps at all, but great job so far brother.

I remember boot camp they force 2 canteens of water at night and 2 after PT

I just got caught up doing things and plain forgot. I've been normally good for the past 6 weeks now 7 weeks since I started excerising again.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 11/12

Dec 13/14, 2014

WEEKEND!!!

not much to say continued to drink water. My sleep schedule gets messed up due to 3rd shift and family life don't mix well. but that's why I am working on getting a new job

Felt good though no DOMS from workout but appling pressure to some ares of my legs would cause a little pain

Day 13

Monday 15, 2014

wieght 167.4

I ate alot of food before bed. I blame the huge hamburger and fries. hopefullly tuesday I will get a better weight idea

got about 7.5 8ish hours of sleep so that's good. at least I think it was that much.

same warm up routine

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 80 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 60 lb

Deadlifts 2x5 @ 75 lbs (even though I was only suppose to do 1 per the workout program I felt I could get another rep out no problem as the first was too easy. As weight increases I am sure I will only be able to get out the 1)

I also finished the book "The Dark Tower" by Steven King

Picked up "Star Wars Heir to the Empire" By Timothy Zahn

This might be the last book I get to read before school starts and the holiday madness. We'll see how my schedule goes.

Time to drink water and eat an avocado...mmmm

• Like 1

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 14

Tuesday 16, 2014

weight 164.5

sleep 6.5

at some point I really need to start getting 8 hours of sleep. at least I get a 30-60 min nap

water intake is within acceptable standards

even though I've been keeping a log for only 2 weeks here, I have been working out now for nearly 8 weeks feelsgoodman.png

Day 15

Wednesday 17, 2014

weight 165.2

sleep 7

almost got 8 hours but just as I was about to doze off phone call...hate working 3rd shift.

same warm up routine but this time starting with bar and adding 10lbs till I hit workout weight

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 85lbs

5x5 bench @ 90lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 95lbs

I messed up not adding 5lbs on my bench press weight I forgot I was up to 95. I didn't add the extra 5 on the barbell row until after the 2nd set

streched afterwards almost able to get knuckles to mat for full 15 count...almost

I think I am starting to really notice some muscle gain/definition

I dread having to do chores now kinda tired but  "dishes ain't gunna wash demselves"

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Dishes is the toughest part of my workout too! they require such concentration, such focus, so much willpower!

You are doing great, man. keep it up.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Day 16

Thursday Dec 18, 2014

weight 166.2

Sleep 7.5hrs

Nothing new to report business as usual

Day 17

Friday Dec 19, 2014

Weight 165.4

Sleep 8 hrs'ish

same warm up routine but this time starting with bar and adding 10lbs till I hit workout weight for both squats and overhead press

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 90 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 65 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 85 lbs

in set 3 of the last rep of the overhead press I actually failed rep 5 only got it up half-way. I set the bar back down shook arms then picked it up to get that last rep.

feeling good, saw my mother today and she could tell I have been working out. she said I am filling out in the face which is better then the skeleton look I had.

I told her to keep it quite as I don't want my siblings to know of my success yet. I want to get by Christmas without notice so I can get a few more months of working out and get bigger.

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 17/18

Dec 20/21, 2014

another weekend come and gone

weighed in around 167.8ish bothdays

got around 10 hrs sleep on the 20th and 7ish on the 21st

Caught a glimps of myself in the mirror and noticed I might be getting some muscles.....say wut?!??!

Day 19

Monday Dec 22 2014

Sleep 6.5 hrs

weight 169.2

I got a new phone on Sunday and stayed up a little too late trying to get it setup. I can now use some apps that were previously not compatible with my phone

I got the Galaxy Samsumg S5 active cause it has cool features for active stuff.

went to gym started with squats just bar 1x5 then added 10 lbs doing 1 set of 5 reps up to workout weight for warmup

then went to bench press just the bar 1x5 adding 10lbs tdoing 1x5 till workout weight for warmup

then straight to workout weight for the barbell rows

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 95lbs

5x5 bench @ 95lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 100lbs

Feels good throwing 25lb plates on them bars...can't weight for 35lb (lol see what I did thar)

did my after-workout stretch routine. I am still amazed at all the people who just leave with no streching.

feeling good but tired..need sleep. I tihnk that will be a good goal for the next 6 week challenge to get a min of 7 hours sleep a night

time for showers then some more christmas shopping only a few more gifts.

• Like 1

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Long post will be long...been on vacation but that doesn't mean I stopped working out. Got myself a new phone and have been using the stronglifts 5x5 app....it's ACE!

Day 20

Dec 23, 2014

weight 167

REST

Day 21

Dec 24, 2014

weight 168

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 100 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 70 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 100 lbs

Day 22

Dec 25, 2014

weight 168

REST

Day 23

Dec 26, 2014

HUNGOVER fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Day 24/25

Dec 27/28, 2014

weight unknown

Since Hungover on Friday did routine on SAT

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 105 lbs

5x5 bench @ 100 lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 105 lbs

Day 26

Dec 29, 2014

weight 168

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 110 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 75 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 110 lbs

Day 27

Dec 30, 2014

weight 169

REST

Day 28

Dec 31, 2014

weight 171

Main workout

5x5 squat @ 115lbs NEW PLATES!!! 35lb YAY!!

5x5 bench @ 105lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 110lbs

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 29

Jan 1, 2015

weight 171.8

Day 30

Jan 2, 2015 

weight 170.2  

Warm up squats just bar 5 reps added 10 lb 5 reps added another 10 5 reps added 15 lb 5 reps added 15 lbs 5 reps then added workout weight and proceeded 5x5

OH press warm up with bar added 5 reps added 10 lbs 5 reps 10lbs 5 reps 10 lbs 5 reps then added 5 for workout weight and did 5x5

went straight to deadlifts wight as already warmed up

strech routine afterwards

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 120 lbs

Overhead Benchpress 5x5 @ 80 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 120 lbs

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 30 /31

Jan 3/4, 2015

weekend

weight stayed around 170

got more than 8 hours sleep both days

ate and drank water

did chores

Day 32

Jan 5, 2015

weight 171

sleep 8 hours

Warm up squats 5x5 starting with the bar and adding weight per set up to workout weight. As I find myself getting higher into the workout weights I am altering how much weight I put on per set

bar 45 lb + 10 + 10 + 17.5  + 20 to work out weight 125lb

bench was warm up 5x5 starting with bar

45+10+10+12.5+12.5 to 110lb

barbell row went straight to

main workout

5x5 squat @ 125 lbs

5x5 bench @ 110 lbs

5x5  barbell row @ 115 lbs

Also ran .5 miles just to get a little cardio in afterwards even though I was a little tired but felt good.

besides I have a doctor's appt tomorrow so I might not get to the gym.

and as always did my stretch routine

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge

Day 33

Jan 6, 2015

weight 170.9

sleep 8

New Cardio Day!

Hadn't done cardio in a bit so started out with a 1 mile run at 6.6 MPH then walked at a 3.5 MPH pace for half a mile

I need to be at a 8.0 MPH pace for 1.5 miles before March 7th

Day 34

Jan 7, 2015

weight 171.4

Warm up squats 4x5 starting with the bar and adding weight per set up to workout weight.

45 + 20 + 20 + 30

Warm up OH press 4x5 starting with the bar and adding weight per set to workout weight.

45 + 10 + 10 + 10

instead of adding 10lbs from last DL weight I added 15 to make it a nice 135lb DL

main workout

Squats 5x5 @ 130 lbs

Overhead press 5x5 @ 85 lb

Deadlifts 1x5 @ 135 lbs

Sir Shaggs

Battle log

Six week challenge