Martinpanduh's Breakthrough Challenge!

Hey guys! Looking forward to tackling this challenge with you guys! Some basic stats:

I'm 5'10, 220lbs (yes, I weighed myself earlier and I gained 2lbs from last challenge).

Vital measurements remain the same at 41 Chest circumference and 40 Waist circumference.

This 6 week's challenge goals are basically this: not to fall off the horse for the next six weeks. If I run out of time after work to go to the gym, I'll see to it that I make time enough for a simple run outdoors or some indoor mobility exercises. Main goals will be, in order of priority:

1. To maintain a stricter Paleo diet--cutting out the occasional dairy, soda (diet or otherwise), candy, chocolate and other things not necessarily carbs but can pack a lot of calories. In line with this, I'm going to look to lessen my fruit intake to help out with my weight loss goals. And moreover, I plan to strictly implement the food log so I can see where I slip throughout the day. This is going to be my main challenge for the next few weeks and if I make it all the way, I expect huge changes.

2. To increase my lifts--basing it off of last challenge, I met several of my goals on my 6 basic lifts, so this time around I'll set the bar (figuratively and literally) a little higher on each lift.

Currently at 270, goal for Squat is 280lbs + bar.

Currently at 140, goal for Chest Press is 150lbs + bar.

Currently at 275, goal for Deadlift is 285lbs + bar.

Currently at 90, goal for Overhead Press is105lbs + bar.

Currently at 115, goal for Bent Over Row is 130lbs + bar.

Currently at 60, goal for Bicep Curls is 70lbs + bar.

3. Lastly, to increase my cardio capacity. As of last challenge, I was successful in increasing my sprint to 5 minutes at 12kph, from a total of a 25 minute run. This time around, I plan to put in more distance work to supplement my speed.

Basically that's all for now, I'm going to focus on my main challenge of watching my diet so I can definitely see gains that I've been trying to achieve for the past however many challenges already.

At any rate, this was my workout for today, heavy workout:

5x5 270lbs + bar Squat.

5x5 140lbs + bar Chest Press.

1x5 275lbs + bar Deadlift.

I've been pretty out of it for almost two weeks, not counting the one workout I did last week. It was a busy two weeks at work, so I pretty much fell out of the last challenge--no workouts plus I let my diet go to hell. Today, I'm reining everything back to pick up where I left off. And it's a lot of things to pick up.

At any rate, the squat gave me more trouble than I anticipated--but I finished it with okay form but it was definitely harder coming into it with no practice. I could practically say the same about the rest.

Was supposed to put in a 25 minute run with a 5 minute up pace, 10kph and 12kph respectively but I got cramps 5 minutes into the treadmill. Yikes.

So today's food log:

Breakfast 6AM: Two fried eggs, approximately 6 small pieces of vienna sausage.

Mid-morning snack at 11AM: Vegetables (carrots, cabbage and string beans) sauteed in oyster sauce and onions.

Lunch at 1PM: Two pieces fried chicken, vegetables, soup, a little beef, slices of pomelo(!) and a banana.

Mid-afternoon snack at 4PM: 4 pieces of fried banana

Dinner at 9PM: A plate of steamed vegetables with a touch of butter, ground pork, fried bananas and pumpkin soup.

WHOA. That's a doozy of a diet plan, mother effer. It really goes to show how much I screw up throughout the day with just my diet along. It's insane!

Today, I'm giving myself a B for the workout and a D for diet. Terrible stuff. Wish me luck! Tomorrow, light workout and a good run.

I've been pretty out of it for almost two weeks, not counting the one workout I did last week. It was a busy two weeks at work, so I pretty much fell out of the last challenge--no workouts plus I let my diet go to hell. Today, I'm reining everything back to pick up where I left off. And it's a lot of things to pick up.

I'm right there with you. I had a moderate health meltdown right at the end of the last challenge, and bascially switched into survival mode for the last 9-10 days. It's time time get back to the barbell, and put away the Starburst (we usually don't have candy in the house, but with Halloween around the corner, we're pretty well stocked). Let me know how it goes!

hey buddy! good to see you back.

don't get too down on your diet. it actually doesn't look that bad. maybe sub grilled chicken for fried, and a non fried banana for the fried one ;)

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

I'm right there with you. I had a moderate health meltdown right at the end of the last challenge, and bascially switched into survival mode for the last 9-10 days. It's time time get back to the barbell, and put away the Starburst (we usually don't have candy in the house, but with Halloween around the corner, we're pretty well stocked). Let me know how it goes!

It's really challenged to juggle a full day at work, a treacherous commute and an hour and a half gym session at night! That's what bowled me over last challenge, but hopefully this time I'll get a better handle on it. Looking forward to reading along with your progress! Let's see each other through!

hey buddy! good to see you back.

don't get too down on your diet. it actually doesn't look that bad. maybe sub grilled chicken for fried, and a non fried banana for the fried one ;)

Thanks Nightlight! I definitely need to work on this part of my diet, it's the snacking that kills me. Terrible stuff.

At any rate, couldn't get a workout in today--I had some stuff to do for work. Couldn't log in last night but I managed to put in a light workout, skimped on the cardio though over lack of time.

5x5 90lbs + bar Overhead Press. Quite the doozy of a weight, will retain this.

5x5 120lbs + bar Bent Over Row. Will retain.

5x5 60lbs + bar Bicep Curls. Difficult, needs more getting used to.

3x5 Chin ups in between each exercise.

Yesterday, I had my diet all fully mapped out but my gmail kind of ate it. At any rate for consistency, I gave myself a B for a slightly better day.

Today no workout but here's how my diet went. It's been a trend for me recently to split my morning breakfast into two parts, one before going to work (and after an hour and a half travel time and responding to emails, the second half). It's just I noticed that eating a heavy breakfast at 6AM in the morning leaves me hungry at 10AM, so far this has been good strategy.

Breakfast 6AM: One fried egg, a portion of corned beef with onion.

2nd Breakfast 9AM (LOL AM I A HOBBIT?): One fried egg, a portion of corned beef with onion.

Mid-morning snack 11:30 AM: Sauteed vegetables in oyster sauce.

Lunch 1:30 PM: Sauteed chicken, vegetables, sausages.

Mid-afternoon snack 4PM: Three pieces of this Chinese bean pastry (!!!) and some popcorn. YIKES.

Dinner 8PM: Salmon soup, slices of sauteed beef.

Yikes, I had the unfortunate misstep of eating some of the Chinese bean pastry, I don't know the name of it in English but here in the Philippines we call it hopia. It's this sweet bean creation wrapped in some sort of wrap. I know it's definitely 90% unPaleo but I got really hungry at that time. Sigh, the pitfalls of an office. I give myself a D today. Needs a whole lot of improvement.

Won't be able to exercise tomorrow and on Friday, will just do my best to look out for my diet. Cheers!

Yikes, I had the unfortunate misstep of eating some of the Chinese bean pastry, I don't know the name of it in English but here in the Philippines we call it hopia. It's this sweet bean creation wrapped in some sort of wrap. I know it's definitely 90% unPaleo but I got really hungry at that time. Sigh, the pitfalls of an office. I give myself a D today. Needs a whole lot of improvement.

Don't be too hard on yourself. If you're good with the diet 80% of the time, it shouldn't slow you down too much! Also, like the 3x5 chins between each of your other exercises - I'd like to get to this point sometime myself!

agree with scotticus. don't get too hard on yourself. take it one day at a time.

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter

Thanks for the encouragement guys! Again, had an exercise black out the past four days. Work ramped up--well, at work so I couldn't find the time. Anyway picking up where things let off today. It's going to be a holiday the next couple of days here in the Philippines, looking to do my body a (dis)service by keeping up with the workouts and the diets.

Today I ran for 30 minutes, at 10kph with a 12k up pace at the last minute. It was tough, today I just wanted to catch up on my running, a break from my usual 25 minute runs. I was aiming for 40 but really, I was never built for longer runs haha. Clocked in a good 5.2k I think.

After, I did some 5x5 140lbs + bar chin up, and I don't know if I felt extra winded but I stalled on the last two sets. Clocked in at 5/5/5/4/4 for some reason. Curious.

Today my diet's been okay, stayed home all day so away from temptation. Will update tomorrow! See you guys!

Didn't get any time to put in a workout recap yesterday:

5x5 270lbs + bar Squat. Still difficult as ever.

1x5 275lbs + bar Deadlifts. Changed my grips, but managed to complete it.

5x5 90lbs + bar Overhead Press. Substituted for the Chest Press I did prior.

Was going to put in 25 minutes or running, but only managed to put in 15. Felt pretty winded after everything.

Today was a holiday, the gym was closed and enough cemetery duties kept me away from doing anything remotely healthful. Couldn't watch my diet either. At any rate, looking to pick things up again tomorrow!

Cheers!

Didn't get any time to put in a workout recap yesterday:

5x5 270lbs + bar Squat. Still difficult as ever.

1x5 275lbs + bar Deadlifts. Changed my grips, but managed to complete it.

5x5 90lbs + bar Overhead Press. Substituted for the Chest Press I did prior.

Was going to put in 25 minutes or running, but only managed to put in 15. Felt pretty winded after everything.

Today was a holiday, the gym was closed and enough cemetery duties kept me away from doing anything remotely healthful. Couldn't watch my diet either. At any rate, looking to pick things up again tomorrow!

Cheers!

I bet you were winded - you're putting up some serious weight there! Keep up the great work!

cemetery duties?

I needed to transfer some graves, ya dig? HAHAHA kidding.

Todos los muertos--aka All Saints Day! In the Philippines, it's practically expected for people to visit the dead on that specific day. Intense traffic all around, people tend to make a picnic out of it.

Anyway, holy hell I've been out for two weeks. It's insane. I had a massive amount of work the past couple of weeks, the fruit of which you can see on my blog http://somuchtrouble.livejournal.com. But in a nutshell, we shoot our look book collection, finalized the look of the store construction and then launched everything just two days ago! It was epic, I have to say but the late nights at the office took its toll on me.

I have a slight confession: I have this problem of when things go south (in terms of diet, exercise and fitness) I let everything go down hill. Like for instance, if I know I won't be able to exercise in the coming week, I'll be more lenient on my diet. Which well in fact, lenient would be an understatement. In the past couple of weeks, I was put in situations (HAHAHA yeah right) wherein I had to ingest waffles. WAFFLES! Paleo waffles? I didn't think so. I just chalked it up to the fact that since the boat was "sinking", I might as well go down blazing.

Like just today, I had a super good start on my day--nothing bad had entered my mouth yet but I was put in a situation wherein a client gave me creampuffs to try, mothereffing creampuffs. Not wanting to be rude, of course I tried one. That would've been fine in itself but trend with me is, since I already ate a creampuff-why not wash it down with soda? And that's exactly what I did. Incredibly stupid. But I guess it's good that I realize that now, it's really all baby steps. Sorry if I'm not making sense but I'll work doubly hard not to throw away all the progress I make in the gym with poor food choices. Terrible really.

At any rate, got back on the horse today. FINALLY. I tried to ease myself back in by reducing the workload.

5x5 260lbs + bar Squat. Felt heavy but will progress to 265 on Wednesday.

5x5 130lbs + bar Chest Press. Felt heavy.

1x5 260lbs + bar Deadlift. Changed my grips.

As for the run, I was really winded already but got up to do 21 minutes at 10kph, with the final minute at 12kph. It was pretty tiring, and I couldn't fathom how I used to extend the last 5 minutes at 12kph. Oh well, it's stamina lost that I just need to work on.

Feels good to be back at least! Cheers and sorry for disappearing!

Light workout today! My legs are still dying from yesterday but doing my best to push forward.

5x5 80lbs + bar Overhead Press.

5x5 110lbs + bar BentOver Row.

5x5 50lbs + bar Bicep Curl.

23 minute run at 10kph with 3 minutes up pace at 12kph.

Not a bad workout, but scaled it down with each exercise and will slowly build up to my max again. Diet today wasn't bad, just felt like I overate at lunch. Something to remedy!

Cheers!

Couldn't find the time this whole week but today is Sunday, my only rest day!

Snuck in a 30 minute run at 10kph, with an up pace of 12kph for the last 2 minutes. Pretty tiring. Will get back into the thick of things tomorrow, emphasis on thick! Haha I kid. See ya.

Heavy day today! Was actually caught in a time pinch but managed to pull it out just fine.

5x5 260lbs + bar Squat. Pretty okay, will up the weight next session.

5x5 135lbs + bar Chest Press. Will up weight next session.

25 minute run at 10kph, with an up pace of 12kph for the last 5 minutes. Honestly surprised I managed this, just pushed myself mentally minute after minute at the end. Couldn't fit in a deadlift because the gym was about to close, but oh well.

Diet wise, I did pretty badly today--won't bore you guys with the details but yeah, it was my own fault. Big surprise there.

In other news! I'm going to Korea this weekend! Will probably have my diet let go a bit, since I'm not the type to deprive myself of the country's delicacies when I'm already there (read: fried rice in Shanghai, noodles in Vietnam). So will try to plug in as much work this week as I am able to! Thanks and see you!

Thanks Scotticus!

Couldn't log in my workout yesterday, did a "light" workout:

5x5 85lbs + bar Overhead Press. Difficult, will stay another round.

5x5 115lbs + bar BentOver Row. Difficult but can move on to 120.

5x5 55lbs + bar Bicep Curls. Quite easy actually, will move on to 60. But a world of difference can 5lbs make on this exercise.

3x5 Chin Ups in between each set.

Ran for 25 minutes at 10kph, with the last 5 at 12kph. Surprisingly, it got easier after the last two workouts! It wasn't as painful as I anticipated, great news!

Looking to workout later tonight! Cheers guys.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines