So I'm Lisa, 23, 5'1" and 190.

Just introducing myself and goals and story.

I want to loose weight of course, but not just for looks. My family's heath history is horrible, and I want to prevent a lot of bad body issues. I like adventure and outdoors and action, even if I don't look it.

I like everyone else have a lot of stress, and stress eat. I'm also part Italian, pAsta is a major food group lol. So I'm working on eating better.

I used to be 215 in January but I was on weight watchers and lost some weight.

I'm back on weight watchers and have a gym membership cause my work pays for it, but I seldom go to the gym because of anxiety.

My short term goals are to be able to jog 15 mins straight ano long term loose 50lbs and run a race.

I found this place and fell in love. I'm excited to meet you guys.

• Like 2

Hi I'm quite new here too. I like the people here (after reading tons of threads here). :)

So far have you jogged? Did you feel pain in your knee? I'm about your height and slightly weigh heavier than you. If i do jog, I feel pain in my knee. So i don't jog for now until I get lower weight so that my weight doesn't put too much stress on my knee.

If you are getting a lot of knee pain (and/or hip and ankle pain) it may be related to form and lower leg (calf,ankle,foot) weakness. Throw in some squatting (go slow and listen to your joints) and lunging variations and calf raises. Note these are all either bodyweight or assisted bodyweight versions. Also do not forget to work the front calf muscle (point toe up and hold, then down). For calf muscles much higher repetitions are usually needed to fatigue the muscle. As in all things, listen to your body but do try and eke out a couple extra reps despite the burn ;).

I am also a big fan of flat shoes for running and a forefoot-first running style - it absorbs some impact via calf and foot movement rather than having the knee and hip take the brunt of the impact from heel-first running. If you look up barefoot running there are a lot of resources. However, it is necessary regardless of which running style you take up to go slow as you accustom your body to new stresses. If you do try barefoot style DO NOT RUN YET. Walk in those shoes every day and focus on walking forefoot first (or mild heel-first) and pushing off with your toes for at least a couple of weeks. Learn to control momentum at lower speeds including stopping and turning.

Add some strength exercises on non-running days to help lose weight via higher calorie requirements.

Hi hi :D The joint pain is normal if it's a new activity you're not used to. I agree with senobdec about incorporating bodyweight exercises to make yourself stronger and work towards your goal, strengthening the muscles around your joints will help make you stronger and reduce the stress and pain on them. 

If you also want to work on cardio without the joint stress on some days see if you can try cycling or find a spin class at your gym. HIIT on the bike does wonders for cardio and keeps the stress off your joints. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both