Korvida's 3rd Challenge Reboot

Korvida

So I have been gone for a while. I no longer had access to the gym I was training in during my last challenge and due to pure life exhaustion I did not bother finding a replacement.  I spent a couple months letting my physical conditioning deteriorate while I recuperated mentally and emotionally, all the while knowing I needed to do something to get back on track.  I still love weight training, and I want to get back into that at some point, but for now the main goal is to be practical and incorporate fitness training into my life in a way that makes sense and is attainable for me. 

Chapter 2: I took a leap and invested in a piece of fitness equipment I felt would be useful to me so that I could meet some goals I've been really wanting to work towards in terms of cardio and endurance training.  The goal here is not necessarily calorie defecits or weight loss (but those would be nice), but instead it is to improve my cardiovascular endurance and my general metabolism.  Although I just  started this thready today, I have been training on my new Assault AirBike (look them up, they're intense) since the start of November, doing almost daily HIIT workouts before I go to work in the morning.  Before I got the bike, I lost 3 lbs of muscle mass, and since I have been training, I've gained one lb back.  I can feel the strength returning in my legs and I am very happy about that.  

I set informal missions for myself over the past month that go something like this

1) HIIT workout on airbike 3-5 times per week (20 minutes/day)
2) Eat clean, wholesome food (follow some basic paleo principals, but I do incorporate quinoa and some other basic ancient graines occassionally)
3) Get adequate sleep every night (no less than 6 hours, ideally 8 hours)

I have also informally set a life quest for myself as I have started knitting again, with the goal of creating small pieces for friends and family during the holiday season.  I have completed 4-5 projects so far and currently have one on the go.  

I have been feeling guilty about slipping away from the NF community so I wanted to put the work I have been doing for the last month into a formal challenge thread to help keep me motivated to continue.  My current HIIT workout regime is adapted from one that I found on a web page called 4 Brutal Fan Bike Workouts where they give a beginner HIIT workout that spans over 6 weeks.  I have decided to convert the 6 weeks into 6 levels since cardio has never been my strong suit and I feel that I need more time to adapt to the difficulty levels before moving on to the next.  This is how my training has progressed:

• Week 1/Level 0.5 - Had to build my way up to being able to sustain maximum output for 10 intervals of 10 seconds each.  I started with 5 high intensity intervals, and used week 1 to build my way up to being able to do the full 10 intervals with 5 minutes warm up and 5 minutes cool down.
  • Week 2/ Level 1 - 3 workouts were performed at level 1 with 10 full intervals of 10 seconds at high intensity, with 5 mins each of warm up and cool down.  2 other workouts were performed that week with less high intensity intervals.
  • Week 3/ Level 2 - performed 5 workouts with 10 x 15 second high intensity intervals.  These were at the maximum of my ability and left me ready to fall off the bike by the time I was done.  I decided to repeat Level 2 into week 4
  • Week 4/ Level 2 - performed 5 workouts with 10 x 15 second high intensity intervals.  

I am now currently on Week 5 of my training and I will be attempting to move up to level 3, where each of the 10 high intensity intervals will last for 20 seconds.  Wish me luck!

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Wowzers good luck! You seem to have a pretty good handle on your workouts, well documented and organized, as well as your sleeping, but what's your food measurable? Also, why are you doing all this? What are your goals? Improvements are always good but setting up an objective or something like a specific race is good to motivate you! Then once you reach the goal you can set another one further away!!

Good luck and keep us updated :) 

Adventurer || Wood Elf

"omg I've got nerditis! Get it off, get it off!! Wait.... I think... I like it, I'll keep it :)"

Challenge: current

Blog about fitness and randomness but mostly food...

Hmm good point about the goals.  I really hate races and I really prefer to do my cardio alone since I'm not comfortable being in a group setting all out of breath and feeling like I'm going to fall down, haha!  I have a very physically demanding job and my desire is to be fit and ready for action when the field season returns in the spring.  However, a specific goal is very good to have.  Perhaps I should try to plan a hiking trip that requires a good level of physical endurance to be able to enjoy.  I also don't want to fall of the hamster wheel in general, since lack of movement and stagnation leads to general feelings of unwellness both mentally and physically.  It's like a constant race against feeling like crap, I'd say!

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I don't really keep track of my food intake these days.  I know I should, and I used to use apps like Livestrong's MyPlate to keep a handle on what I eat.  Since I'm not really super focused on weight loss at the moment, as long as my clothes fit well and my weight isn't rocketing up (nevermind the daily fluctuation) I don't feel the need to control calories and I seem to be doing fine eating in moderation and keeping things healthy.  So at the moment I don't feel the need to go crazy on food tracking, so long as I feel that I'm treating my body well, which I do.  I have been warned that workouts on the air bike can create a ravenous appetite - which I have experienced - so I mainly try to make sure that when I'm feeling very hungry I am putting healthy fuel into my body.  

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Week 5: 4 sessions on the air bike.  Two of them at level 3, two at about level 2.5  

Repeating Level 3 this week.  One workout completed thus far.

Not falling below 6 hours sleep.  Eating is about 80% healthy, though calorie intake likely a bit too high (I love almonds... and chocolate haha)  Weight is stable, clothes fit well.  Knitting lots.  One more project to go before christmas!

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal