ARRRR.....

So I've been in school for what seems an awfully long time now (and I'm a mommy and wife). I was taking summer classes and rocking my first 6 weeks challenge, then my final semester of nursing kicked me in the teeth. I signed up for both the challenges during the semester, but I didn't finish them. All nighters, 12 hour night shift preceptorship, multiple papers (one being a massive case study on a three system failure patient), and my own anxiety (the most prominent feature in my challenge failure) all played a part. I have done excellent in my nursing classes, though...but at the expense of my health.

Previously, the only thing I seem to be able to stick with on a dietary level has been Paleo. I get hypoglycemic easily, and processed things really seem to bottom me out. I was working out throughout the first challenge more than I have in my entire life, and even continued through the breaks in-between challenges, but stopped when school got crazy.

So, my plan until the next challenge is to work out 3x a week (ANY sort of workout), meditate 3x a week, and start cleaning up my diet (this part is hard due to finances currently, but that should change soon).

I applied for an ICU job, and that may change my workout schedule depending on how my shifts are structured. 2-3 12 hour days in a row on the feet and repositioning patients is a pretty good workout in itself.

I feel so tired everyday now and get worn out so easily. I miss the energy I had over the summer. I want it back!

• Like 1

AlleyKat - Level 2 - Astro Mycologist

STR - 5, DEX - 2, STA - 4, CON - 2, WIS - 5, CHA - 2

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

-Carl Sagan

Is that a halo reference? I love it!!!

One of my good friends is finishing up med school and has dealt with similar situations. For him during those hectic weeks, if he knows that he's going to be missing exercise sessions, he will make sure he locks down his diet. Conversely, if he sees he's going to struggle to keep up with good eating, he will forego that and lock down his exercise sessions.

Basically, the logic is that you should be doing both, but during those stressful times of life, it's less damaging if you keep up the good work on at least one aspect of healthy living.

Good luck!

• Like 1

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler

It's totally a Halo reference, I know they use different beeps for the numbers, but that's what I was thinking of when I put it on there. I loves the Halo. I have a little purple spartan that I've had with me for every exam at school as my good luck charm.

That's a great idea about the diet/exercise prioritization. Usually I do too much all-or-nothing between those.

I was thinking walking, running, or bodyweight exercises. I really like using my kettlebell, too. It is really depends on each week and how quickly I get a job (the job will be a huge calorie burn in and of itself, so scheduling will play a part in workouts). 

I have an interview on Thursday!!! Then I'll know more about when my workout days will be.

I'll take my spartan with me...

• Like 1

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together.

-Carl Sagan

I don't know how the interview went, but everything else this last week was good.

Plan for this week.... 3 body weight workouts, and eggs for breakfast 4 of 7 days.

I never know about interviews. I applied for a whole bunch of other ICU positions just in case. 

-Carl Sagan