Adding veggies to breakfast

felixtkatt

I'm trying to add more vegetables to my breakfasts, but I can't find a whole lot of recipes.

With enough time in the morning, it's not too difficult to add some veggies in with the regular menu. Saute' spinach, peppers, onions, and/or 'shrooms then add some beaten eggs. Booya. Or, roasted up some roots the night before? Then just plop an egg on top of those bad boys and you're golden.

But if you don't have enough time then a frozen, homemade breakfast burrito might work (if it has the correct filling). That takes forethought though, and let's be honest -- if you don't have time in the morning, it's usually not from an over-abundance of forethought.

So, what else is there? One of my other go-to breakfasts is smoked salmon with cream cheese, capers, tomato, and red onion on a whole wheat bagel. Fairly healthy, sure, but not exactly veggie laden.

Can you guys help me out with some more breakfast foods that contain a full serving of veggies? No V8, please. 1) don't drink your calories, and 2) V8s are for muscle cars and Bloody Mary's.

Postscript: I should clarify that I'm defining veggies as "the roots, stems, stalks, and/or leaves of a plant". For the sake of breadth, I'll also include legumes and non-sugary fruits like peppers, cucumbers, etc. Oh, and  white potatoes are out because they're the Devil. Fluffy, golden, starchy, crispy, Devils.

Felix T. Katt -- Level 0 Half-Orc Lookout

[[ STR : 0 | DEX : 0 | STA : 0 | CON : 0 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0 ]]

Current Quest: Rise From Your Grave!

I sometimes make a batch of sweet potato hash browns  and keep them in the freezer. On rushed mornings I stick em in the toaster oven for 15 mins and I have a crunchy potato-y  slow release carb to pair with my omelette cups (make a giant batch of omelettes essentially). I mix 12 egg whites with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, peppers, onions, avocado or whatever other veggie I have on hand, stick them in some muffin tins, bake them for about 15 mins and tada- I have a dozen 'cups' I can freeze or refrigerate that I can microwave and pair with my sweet potato hash browns. 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

How do you prep your s.pot.s for the hash? ( Shred | Cube | Slice | Mash | Other )  Do you make these like a sweet potato latke?  (Mental note: look that up as a recipe ... )

Those omelet cups are going to happen tonight. They will be mine. Oh, yes -- they will be mine.  Do the solids sink to the bottom of the cup? Or do you have so much in there that the egg only fills the gaps?

• Like 1

It depends on what I put in there- I noticed that most of my meats usually go to the bottom, but the rest of the veggies are usually more distributed throughout. And for the sweet potatoes I shred for the most part. Though sometimes I slice them for fries instead as those are easier to eat on the go for me!

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

I've done the mini-omelette muffins before, and while delicious, I highly recommend getting the muffin papers for them.  I ruined my muffin tin when I couldn't get all the egg out of the bottoms.

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I like to make what I call "Scrambled eggs with stuff in them"

Where stuff can include veggies (e.g. spinach, onions, peppers), meat, cheese, etc. Cook the veggies and meat if needed, add in some whisked egg, add any meat (that doesn't need cooking) & cheese, and cook as you would scrambled eggs. Doesn't take a lot of time, but I'll confess I usually do that on weekends.

What I regularly do on weekday mornings is a green smoothie. You can add quite a bit of spinach to a smoothie without it affecting the taste (though it does affect the color!)

You could add spinach to your smoked salmon and cream cheese, though that's likely to be more of a half serving of veggies.

• Like 2

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

what's wrong with adding breakfast to your veggies? just do a big salad for breakfast. Lettuce, fresh sliced mushrooms, avocado, hard boiled eggs, maybe some fruit, like diced apple, jicama, lime and salt. As long as you prep and clean in advance, building the actual salad is super fast… if not, well washing and tearing some lettuce, throwing some cherry tomatos, chopped hard boiled egg, bacon and making some quick vinagrette is not really that time consuming.

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Nothing fancy (but then, that's what you're after, isn't it?) but I will often just eat raw veggies with homemade mayo. (I've done Greek yogurt dip in a pinch, if you do dairy, but homemade mayo is surprisingly easy, totally delicious and nothing like the goop you buy at the store). It's quick enough that I can typically chop something and throw it in a container before I rush out the door, and I'll eat it at work. Yesterday was cauliflower, today was bell pepper...

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

This Spinach & Egg Frittata is my go-to breakfast on days I stumble out of bed and am in a hurry. 

I also like to make vegetable cream soups for dinner then pair the leftovers with eggs or turkey sausage for a delish and easy breakfast. My absolute favorite for this job is this Creamy Mushroom and Zucchini Soup

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

I've done the mini-omelette muffins before, and while delicious, I highly recommend getting the muffin papers for them.  I ruined my muffin tin when I couldn't get all the egg out of the bottoms.

A little off-topic, but my wife and I often clean the sticky bits off pans by heating them up with water inside.  It doesn't even need to boil and you can usually pretty easily scrape away quite a bit of the stuff that is burned on, even stuff that has been burned on for a while will sometimes come off.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

OP here to update:

I decided to make the mini-omelets since they sounded like a brilliant way to add vegetation to my mornings. So, I got my muffin pan and some cooking spray, then proceeded to lube that sucker up like, uh ... like ... a thing. Like a thing that's lubed up, and, um, slippery and ... uh ... *blows out breath* ... yeah. OK. Then I turned on the oven to get things hot.  O_O   

MOVING ON!!

*ahem*

I diced up about half of a sweet yellow onion and a whole green bell pepper and set them to the side. Then I whipped up a full dozen eggs with a dribble of half-n-half to make them fluffy. I went a little off the reservation and added in Adobo seasoning to the eggs. I think it worked well to add some extra flavor, but YMMV. I also added a couple big pinches of salt and some ground white pepper. When the eggs were completely scrambled, I added the diced veggies to the eggs and stirred to combine.

Next, I ladled the egg mixture into the muffin tray, trying to distribute everything as evenly as possible. Carefully, I put everything in the oven and baked at 350 degrees F for just shy of 30 min.

It was fun to watch these cook. The looked like egg pop-overs -- big cylinders rising up out of the tray. Unfortunately when they came out of the oven they deflated back down into egg biscuits. Oh well -- they still taste mah-va-lous.

The original suggestion was to freeze these and nuke them on a morning when I needed a quick bite.  I actually ended up splitting my batch, half in the freezer and half in the fridge. The next day, I reheated a couple from the fridge and they were delicious. No degradation to the quality at all, but I did add some hot sauce for a little extra "oomph". (Note: cheese and salsa would have been really good too.) This morning (few days later), I grabbed a couple more from the freezer and brought them to work. They didn't nuke so well. The middle remained icy unless I cooked them for longer on about half power. The veggies got a little mushy, which isn't surprising considering that any intracellular fluid they retained turned into microscopic little ice crystals and went all Norman Bates on the cell walls. Regardless, the seasoning and texture were still fine, so I'd call it a success.

The next time I make these, I think I'll add feta, sliced Greek olives, and substitute Greek seasoning for the adobo seasoning. A little oregano probably wouldn't hurt either.

As a question for others that have made these: adding bacon.  Cook the bacon first and crumble it in or dice up and cook inside similar to the vegetables?

NEXT TIME:  Making Sweet Potato Latkes as hashbrowns

• Like 1

my vote goes to cook first. remember that egg proteins do not take well high heat, unless you love that rubbery texture from overcooked eggs :D

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

I've been putting a half or full dozen eggs in the blender with either half or a whole tub of spinach and blitzing until smooth. Makes for green scrambled eggs, that basically still mostly just taste like eggs. I store the mix in a mason jar, and cook through them in a few days. Easy extra helping of green veggies. I've added whole spinach to my eggs and never cared for the consistency, this solves that issue. I may use this as a base for omelets and really up the veggie count with peppers etc.

• Like 1

Guacamole! Wait, avocados are technically fruits. *sigh* Sometimes I cook bacon using the oven method and use it as a chip substitute/guacamole vehicle. I've added broccoli to my guacamole before (broccamole!) and it was pretty good. Lots of veg there. 

I've made breakfast meatballs before using a mix of pork sausage and ground turkey, added some shredded carrots and frozen spinach to the party. Wasn't too bad and they were nice to have on hand. They froze well too.

Leftover grilled asparagus is marvelous when wrapped in thin sliced ham. It's a nice snack or breakfast-y sort of thing, imo. 

I confess that I usually eat leftovers for breakfast. I don't have a problem eating a salad or cauliflower or what have you in the morning. Heck, I eat spicy hot stir fry for breakfast. :)

"Being split in two halves is no theory with me, Doctor. I have a human half, you see, as well as an alien half, submerged, constantly at war with each other. Personal experience, Doctor. I survive it because my intelligence wins out over both, makes them live together." -- S'chn T'gai Spock 

I've found that adding some fresh spinach and diced garlic perks up an omlet considerably.

<p>Level 3 Troll AssassinSTR: 5.5 DEX: 2 STA: 6.75 CON: 3 WIS: 12.75 CHA: 5.75My Battle LogThe First Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  The SECOND Official Challenge of MOBIUS!!  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/69290-the-return-of-mobius/  Weight Loss Goal (106 lbs of 150lbs)

70.6%
70.6%
"Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon."

I just had one of my favorite breakfasts this morning: Ezekial toast, 2 fried eggs, tomato slices and avocado with a pinch of salt 

I also make KILLER "pancakes" just by mixing together 2 scrambled eggs with 1/2 a roasted sweet potato (no skin)  Mix them up, cook in the pan as you would regular pancakes!  Yum Yum!

For egg muffins (and similar things like egg casseroles, meatloaves or mini meatloaves, spicy tuna cakes) I've found certain frozen veggies to be my go-to. I buy big bags of frozen broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, carrots, peas. They can stay in the freezer for when you need them, they microwave quickly and reduce chopping, and they're often cheaper. 

Cut up your vegetables and then brown-paper-bag them in omelette portions. I like sundried tomato, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot and spring onions. Then i'll basically do:

1. Dump vegetable bag into pay on high heat with spoonful of butter.

2. Cook for thirty seconds moving around the pan quickly.

3. Put cooked veggies in a bowl.

4. Whisk 3-4 eggs together

5. Throw eggs in pan.

6. Wait a minute and then throw veggies on one half of the pan.

7. Sprinkle veggies with grated mozzarella cheese

8. Fold omelette in half over veggies.

9. Flip and salt.

10. Eat and enjoy cheesy, egg, vegetabley goodness.

"No-one tells a T-Rex when to go to sleep".

- Jim Wendler