That's awesome Dom. It reminds you how wonderful life truly is :D

• Like 1

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Ok so it's wrap up time and then the next one comes on too. So here we go:

Month 1 wrap up

Slow down at dinner time:  put my fork down after every second bite, count to 5 once I'm done chewing and then pick it up again

I did pretty good with this goal, but I think I'm going to keep it up for another month, because it hasn't become quite automatic and I still have a tendency to want to shovel food into my mouth as quickly as possible.  I'm not even sure where I learnt this bad habit (possibly when the only meal I was getting was in the middle of my waitressing shift and I needed to get it in as quickly as possible).  We are also buying a dining room set (something we've been wanting to do for ages, but haven't been able to because of space constraints in our apartment - we sold our huge living room set, replacing it with a smaller one, so now there's space) so we will actually have proper meal times at home again.  I think this will help tremendously.

So: 25 vs 31 (B)

(S)low the carbs: Get down to 135gr carbs - keep cycling down

Well I didn't quite get down to 135gr but I'm at 140gr so that's not too bad.  I have had a bad week in terms of food consumption this past week otherwise I would've been at 135gr.  I'm not particularly upset with myself, because i'm thinking about how many carbs certain things are costing me and I make ways around it if i really want something bad (like a slice of cake at tea time costs me a cup of pasta at dinner time or something along those lines). We aren't totally out of the pasta/rice/potatoes clearing just yet (but getting there - bread is almost entirely abolished because i just don't eat it anymore).

So: 140gr vs 135gr (B+)

Slow the exercise: Rebuild a workout schedule by doing at least 5min activity every day. This includes cycling, intended walking, gym, free weights, body weight and/or yoga/stretching.

Yeah this one totally sucked!!  I have figured out why though and I am taking steps over the next month to work on it.  I changed it up quite a bit during the month and it just wasn't working.  So it's a goal again next month.

So: 4 workouts vs 31 workouts (Fail)

Slow the thoughts: Journal every evening before bed (even a gratitude for the day if nothing else comes to mind)

This one was also a bit of a fail (although not as bad as the exercise one).  I don't know what i was thinking when I made this goal.  I really am not the kind of person who likes to journal.  I have never been able to keep a journal (ever!!).  I would like to have things written down so that my kids or grandkids can look back on my life and maybe see patterns and see that if they go through the same thing they can come out ok at the end, but alas I might need to just one day write a book about my life for them - that one day won't be very soon though.

So: 15 days vs 31 days ©

Slow the routine: Brush my teeth before bed every night (not something I do all that regularly - although I apparently have great teeth).

Yikes, this one didn't workout too well either.  I have realised I actually need a trigger for this.  So for the month of Feb, teeth brushing happens straight after dinner. Dinner will be my trigger.  I really don't need to add another teeth brushing to my day, because my dentist and my oral hygienist have said that my teeth are fantastic and i've literally only been brushing my teeth once a day since i was a kid.  I want to do this to make it a part of a routine that happens at night.  If i'm at the basin brushing my teeth, I will remember to take off my makeup and to moisturise etc. Just triggers.

So: 13 vs 31 evening teeth brushings

Other things that have happened this month:

• We returned home from our holiday (which was lovely and i even managed to lose weight on holiday, woot)
  • We realised that some of our family tax too many of our emotional reserves, time and money.  That needs to stop!! We've taken steps (I've stopped giving my 25 yo sister pocket money - hopefully forcing her to find a job eventually).
  • I had my annual gynae check up and everything is 100%.  As a matter of fact the doctor told me I was a poster child for the perfect reproductive system (again more surprises for the medical fraternity because of my weight).  He only had one "concern" - which isn't really a medical concern.  Both my ovaries produce at least one egg every cycle!  I'm awesome, and I guess there could be twins (or triplets even) in my future. He also asked me if I would consider being an egg donor - something I might consider one day when I've got everything else under control (health wise).
  • Had my annual preventative screening and all is totally normal there too (much to the doctor's amazement, again).  I think everyone expects me to have major health issues because of my weight.  Guess I don't, but I will keep working on my weight.
  • Work continues to bother me, but there isn't much I can do in the way of that.  I just try and keep my nose clean and my head down.  Everything also goes everywhere in writing so that no one can point fingers at me when things go south and I'm the one cleaning up their messes (as is always the case).

Not a bad month, I'd say.

• Like 1

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

Blaidd's Cycle v2015.2: The Month of Love

1. Wake up 1 min earlier every work day i.e. if day 1 is 6.30am, then day 2 is 6.29am etc
  2. Do a quick workout in that additional minute until you've reached a steady 10 - 15min routine
  3. Count to 5 between bites at both lunch and dinner
  4. Have cycled down to 120gr of carb average
  5. Brush teeth after dinner every night

I think those are all pretty doable.

EiuSHrU.gif?1

• Like 2

My challenge

Great news on the health checkup, always a relief to know where you stand, especially if there's no issues.

• We realised that some of our family tax too many of our emotional reserves, time and money.  That needs to stop!! We've taken steps (I've stopped giving my 25 yo sister pocket money - hopefully forcing her to find a job eventually)

This is big. These kind of realizations can be life changing in very positive ways for everyone involved :positive: even if they don't think so at the time.

I like your new goals for Feb, they look S.M.A.R.T :encouragement:

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Great news on the health checkup, always a relief to know where you stand, especially if there's no issues.

This is big. These kind of realizations can be life changing in very positive ways for everyone involved :positive: even if they don't think so at the time.

I like your new goals for Feb, they look S.M.A.R.T :encouragement:

Yeah she needs to severely grow up.  She decided on a whim (as in they were in Town saw the bus station and just got on a bus with no clothes etc) to go to Durban for a week's holiday.  She also has an ex-boyfriend who was a Nigerian drug dealer and she opened a bank account for him into which he deposit something like R120k and then decided to change all the details on it so he can't get the money.  And now he has started calling my brother.  She also has a girlfriend now (don't care about that, but I actually think she doesn't know because of how she talks about the young lady - she's very naive) and she's shaved off half her hair (only half of it, the rest is still mid way down her back).  It's a little late in life to be rebelling like this, but anyway. I'm no longer enabling her.

thanks.  I'm still struggling to keep to some of the goals.  but only 1 week in, so will keep pushing.

My challenge

Hey Blaidd,

your goals for the next month look super SMART, and very do-able. And congratulations on the health check, it's always nice to have things 'confirmed' as a-ok. And twin baby Blaidds? AWESOME! Definitely something to look forward to one day :)

As for your sister - wow. I thought my bro (also 25) was a bit... not quite an adult yet, but your sis sounds like she could have her own reality TV show. It is so hard when it comes time to say 'no' to family requests, but you're right. When they start to really negatively affect your life and the other people you love, it's time to do something about it. I'm sorry you have to go through that, and I hope she can rise out of her stuff gracefully.

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

I love it when the doc is all prepared to fuss about your health but all your numbers are good. As for your sis, I had a lot of trouble growing up too. The best thing anyone ever did for me was when my Mom told me that she wasn't giving me any more money. She said, "Your father and I have worked too hard to make a living to let you drain us dry since you won't even try to be an adult." Hard words. Broke my heart. I think it broke her's too when she said it. But it helped me pull my head out of my ass and start trying to be an adult. I have told her thank you for that many times. 

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Yeah she needs to severely grow up.  She decided on a whim (as in they were in Town saw the bus station and just got on a bus with no clothes etc) to go to Durban for a week's holiday.  She also has an ex-boyfriend who was a Nigerian drug dealer and she opened a bank account for him into which he deposit something like R120k and then decided to change all the details on it so he can't get the money.  And now he has started calling my brother.  She also has a girlfriend now (don't care about that, but I actually think she doesn't know because of how she talks about the young lady - she's very naive) and she's shaved off half her hair (only half of it, the rest is still mid way down her back).  It's a little late in life to be rebelling like this, but anyway. I'm no longer enabling her

You couldn't make it up! I don't think there's ever a good time be involved with a Nigerian drug dealer!!!

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Cycle v2015.2 Summary:

I've been very bad at coming in and updating this month.  Sorry folks.  I didn't do to badly on some things and better on others.  Of course there are things that I just plain failed at.  So here's the summary.

Wake up 1 min earlier every work day i.e. if day 1 is 6.30am, then day 2 is 6.29am etc

Ai, this is madness.  I can only imagine how i am going to struggle when winter comes along if I can't even get this right in summer. I failed miserably, but I am also going to write it off to not feeling happy about work and just not wanting to get out of bed, because of it.  It's a symptom of slight depression and when I think about work I feel depressed - no two ways about it.

So, 5 days vs 20 days

Do a quick workout in that additional minute until you've reached a steady 10 - 15min routine

Yeah this one sucked even worse.  I actually completely forgot most days.  I seriously wonder how i expect myself to remember this when I'm on autopilot until I'm virtually out of the door in the mornings.  I have to figure this one out.  I am thinking of sticking a post-it or something on my ipad.  I also barely made it to gym this month too.  I was sick the whole of the last week of Feb, but it actually started the week before when I started suffering sore and weak muscles particularly in my back and legs. I HAVE to do better in March.

So 1 out of 20 workouts

Count to 5 between bites at both lunch and dinner

Success!!  I didn't do too badly in this during January but I wanted to keep it in because I thought an extra few weeks would cement the progress and it certainly has.  I find that I am eating less at dinner times and it's taken longer.  There are moments when I still shovel food into my mouth, but that is all my fault for not eating adequately before that meal time and I'm often very hungry. So this one is a success and a great habit to have on my side now.

So 46 out of 56 meal times.

Have cycled down to 120gr of carb average

Ok this one didn't get down as far as I wanted but I am aiming for 75gr overall so any downward movement is a good thing for me.  I am now officially down to 130gr of carbs average daily.  The last week saw me craving carrot cake, so I indulged - why not? I haven't had cake in so long I am not even remotely guilty about this one.  I don't partake in a lot of "bad" things these days because I really don't want to waste my carbs on stupid crap especially if I know there's rice or pasta on the menu for dinner (these two things appear maybe 3 times a week in total together so need to leave those days particularly open).

So 130gr instead of 120gr

Brush teeth after dinner every night

I think I have a mental block against this particular part of my beauty routine.  I don't even know why.  It's not like it's painful or time consuming or even remotely inconvenient.  But for some reason I just can't get myself to do it!!  I wonder whether I should just write this off and try something else?  Going to give it one more month and see how it turns out.

So 3 times vs 28 times.

Things that happened this month:

• We have a dining table and this has gone a VERY long way to helping with my eating habits.  We always eat at the table - even if it's a sandwich - and we always eat together (hell if one of us isn't hungry but the other is eating, we still sit together at the table).  This has also helped our relationship (which was already great, now just better).
  • I've had to rethink my business strategy.  There's a lot of that happening at the moment, but the biggest decision that was made is that I might put off going full time until the end of 2016.  The reason behind this is that Jax wants to do his MBA next year, full time, and that means we are going to need a stable income.  I am not going to give up on my dream, of course, but instead of just having enough clients to cover my current salary before I quit I have to have reached 75% of our combined income to do that now.  Jax owns his practice though so it's not like we won't have at least a small income from the business, just not as big as we would have had if he had been working full time.
  • My sister decided to blow all the money she has now officially stolen from the drug dealer.  I've written her off because of this.  She is telling all of FB that it's cos she's bi-sexual, but it's not like she's going to tell anyone the truth about the money.  I'm just so tired of her shenanigans and i can do without them.  She's 25 in March.  It's time to grow up!  I will be there for her when she's decided to do right with the world and stop being selfish.

My challenge

Blaidd's Cycle v2015.3: It's Autumn or not

It's supposed to turning into Autumn here, but for some reason we are currently experiencing the two hottest days of our year so far (this whole summer actually), so I am not entirely sure that Autumn is close at all. Also I am not sure if this is in the news overseas, but our mountain is on fire - it's a huge stretch of mountain that seems to be ablaze and they've evacuated something like 50 homes already (that's quite a few homes considering that there aren't many on that side of the mountain to start with).  We're on the other side of the mountain so I'm ok.

My goals this month are:

1. Eat Dinner by 8pm every night (weekends are allowed to be exceptions)
  2. Carbs down to 115gr
  3. Wake up 1 min earlier on each work day
  4. Do some kind of exercise week day
  5. Brush teeth every evening after dinner (before the dishes are done).

Some challenges are carried over from the previous month, but i did suck at them, so repeat repeat.

My challenge

It's supposed to turning into Autumn here, but for some reason we are currently experiencing the two hottest days of our year so far (this whole summer actually), so I am not entirely sure that Autumn is close at all. Also I am not sure if this is in the news overseas, but our mountain is on fire - it's a huge stretch of mountain that seems to be ablaze and they've evacuated something like 50 homes already (that's quite a few homes considering that there aren't many on that side of the mountain to start with).  We're on the other side of the mountain so I'm ok.

So glad to hear you are ok, I was worried about you. I have a friend from school that lives there too, he almost lost his house but the wind changed, I've seen his updates and photos on FB but weirdly there's been hardly anything in the news, mind you I don't watch/read the news much. He said there's been reports of looting of homes that people are evacuating from, sounds like a dreadful situation. Anyway I'm glad you are ok, stay safe.

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

So glad to hear you are ok, I was worried about you. I have a friend from school that lives there too, he almost lost his house but the wind changed, I've seen his updates and photos on FB but weirdly there's been hardly anything in the news, mind you I don't watch/read the news much. He said there's been reports of looting of homes that people are evacuating from, sounds like a dreadful situation. Anyway I'm glad you are ok, stay safe.

yeah i heard today it's something like 5000 hectares and every single firefighter in our city (of over 5mil people) are all tending to those fires.  As a matter of fact firefighters from surrounding cities (as far away as 1000km) are coming in to help as well.  It's crazy.  I haven't heard anything about looting, well not of those homes.  We've had stories of looting in other parts of the city and country but they're not affected.  Also they've shortened the cycle race I was hoping to do by more than half, because of the blaze happening right across a majority of the original route.

Glad to hear you are ok. I don't watch much news either. American news is pretty dreadful about reporting anything outside the US and frequently not very good at reporting IN the US so I just gave up on it. I would gladly send some of my snow to quench that fire. 

thanks.  there was some rain yesterday and they managed to get a few of the fires under control, but today saw ridiculously strong winds again, so things have picked up again (although not as bad). 

What warms my heart though is how the whole city, regardless of whether they're directly affected or not, have come together.  In one day two local radio stations jointly managed to gather in over R3mil to help with equipment needs; On Monday evening, there was a call for food and drinks' donations for firefighters and those who had been evacuated and by Tuesday morning they'd sent out a press release asking people to please stop bringing goodies because they had enough - people were bringing clothes, food, animal food, soda, water, mattresses, pillows etc. Restaurants were donating full meals (with their waiters manning stations to help serve everyone), department stores were donating food and blankets and clothes and every person put a little bit of money they had for these people.  I am so incredibly proud of the people of my city coming together to help complete strangers.

• Like 1

My challenge

V2015.3 Summary

It's been a weird month. But here's the round up.

Eat Dinner by 8pm every night (weekends are allowed to be exceptions)

I didn't do too badly on this one. dropping my dinner times took a little convincing when it came to Jax, cos he has to watch his game time so that he could eat with me.  He got used to it and it's suiting both of us better.

So 25 /31 - good effort

Carbs down to 115gr

I did it.  I thought it was going to be difficult, but I managed to get it done. The next few down cycles are going to be darn hard though, so I'm giving myself a little lee way.

Currently on 115gr

Wake up 1 min earlier on each work day

So i totally am sucking at this goal.  I really am not exactly sure how to change this, but i'm going to keep working on it.

Fail: 1/31 successes

Do some kind of exercise week day

Honestly this is total suckage!  I've managed to do better than last month, but still have to get better.  I miss working out, but I am really struggling to find my motivation to do it.  Loving it and getting into it seem to be two things that aren't working together.  My love for cycling is not motivation enough and it seems that i have a mental block so i need to work on that. Or laziness wins over love.

So 7/31

Brush teeth every evening after dinner (before the dishes are done).

I suck at this too, but i think it has more to do with the fact that i don't actually feel the need because i have "great" teeth. So yeah gotta drop this, i'm not getting anywhere.

So 0/31

Things that happened this month:

• We have a new couch and we're loving chilling out with each other on the couch - not that i get to hang there often (cos Jax hogs the tv to game on).
  • We did a road trip for a friend's wedding and it was great fun
  • I've decided that having a better waistline is only half the battle.  I want to be able to walk into a potential client's office and look super professional. So there's alot of primping that is going to happen.  I have started learning to do my hair better and new make up styles.  Wish me luck
  • Like 1

My challenge

Blaidd's Cycle v2015.4: All these Long Weekends?

This month we only have one 2 day weekend - every other weekend is at least 3 days long. So loads of relaxing - or at least i can hope that.

1. decreasing portions by 25%
  2. Keep cycling carbs down to 105gr
  3. Exercise daily
  4. Get up by 7am
  5. Learn Eye Makeup techniques

And that's that.  Still hoping to drop some weight and to keep making things better.

• Like 1

My challenge

Blaidd's Cycle v2015.4: All these Long Weekends?

This month we only have one 2 day weekend - every other weekend is at least 3 days long. So loads of relaxing - or at least i can hope that.

1. decreasing portions by 25%
  2. Keep cycling carbs down to 105gr
  3. Exercise daily
  4. Get up by 7am
  5. Learn Eye Makeup techniques

And that's that.  Still hoping to drop some weight and to keep making things better.

How's the monthly update going AB? Are you getting enough accountability?

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

How's the monthly update going AB? Are you getting enough accountability?

It's not too bad (Jax is keeping me accountable on certain things), but I'm finding that if I don't feel like it's important I don't put as much effort in.

I have to unlock at work before 7. You have no idea how jealous I am.

I wish I could just get up earlier.  I need to do things in the morning (and preferably be at work by the time that my staff start).

My challenge

i haven't really been on NF the past few weeks, I haven't updated my challenges and I haven't really been in the best of health.  I haven't abandoned my quests though, I just haven't posted them. I've kinda been working on journaling and working on smaller daily goals for now, but I am actually coming back for a 6WC from the next one on and looking forward to that. I just need to plan it.  

Also made a HUGE decision!!  I'm going back to school.  When I "graduated" in 2003, I didn't do a post grad or honours. So when i decided that i'd like to do my honours, I contacted the university and they said that because I waited so long (and the curriculum has changed twice since then), I would need to complete a degree (which I can either get a full credit for or be credited for at least 50% of the degree and complete the balance).  So studying for my honours will take 2 - 4 years instead of the 1 year and i'm ok with that.  I'll be studying part time and if/when we move overseas I'd be able to continue via correspondence as they've got offices in something like 50+ countries worldwide (and the degree is internationally recognised).  So I don't have to change universities and can complete my honours.  I'm excited and scared all at the same time.  It's going to be a lot of hard work leading up to the start of next year, but I'm putting the time in and I'm going to credit as much as i can before i register in Jan 2016. AND then a lot of hard work studying!  I think I'm ready!!

Also i mentioned moving overseas in the last paragraph.  That's also another development that's happened.  We're considering taking some time to live and work overseas.  I love my country and I definitely live in the best city in the country, but it's starting to look like Zimbabwe did in the 80's.  Too much money grabbing by people in power (way too much corruption), also we're getting downgraded on a regular basis, foreign investment is going backwards (as in companies are slowly starting to pull out of South Africa), removing citizenship from (white) people who haven't lived in the country for more than 10 years etc - it's just not a pleasant place to live in anymore. It's sad to see my beautiful country suffer like this.  We have spoken about working overseas for a few years as something we'd like to do in the past, but it's only really been just talk.  It's becoming more real though. We've made a decision that as soon as Jax is done with his MBA next year we will begin research into looking for work internationally.  Currently Holland and Canada are at the top of the list, but all countries are open.  It's next year's problem though. 

Anyway so that's what's happening in my life at the moment.  I have already started thinking about quests for the next 6WC and i'll try pop in again with another update before then. 

My challenge

What i read was blah blah is it Oz? is it Oz? is it Oz? Oh boo it's not Oz! That's super exciting! I also like Canada. More exciting though is that you're back for a 6WC, w00t! I missed you!

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

What i read was blah blah is it Oz? is it Oz? is it Oz? Oh boo it's not Oz! That's super exciting! I also like Canada. More exciting though is that you're back for a 6WC, w00t! I missed you!

You never know. We were chatting to a friend yesterday who completed his MBA a few years back and he mentioned an exchange program that is offered the semester after you've completed your program and Jax and I thought that we could do that - so who knows where we land up. 

My challenge

i have to make a confession, i'm not following a specific diet!  I've stopped paleo and now i'm pretty much eating whatever as long as it's good, healthy, and within my carb range.  I do have 3 rules I always apply though:

1. Carbs need to under 105gr (or whatever i've cycled down to - 5gr every successful week until i reach 75gr).  I balance my meals this way i.e. if I know I'm making something a little carb heavy for dinner then lunch has to be carb light e.g salad/veggies for lunch if it's pasta for dinner.

2. Add salad to every meal (except breakfast) so the actual other food i eat is way less.  I'm eating about 50 - 75% less of the not so great stuff (like lasagne or homemade chicken pie or curry or whatever) because i eat with my eyes first.  It's something I have always done.  So if my plate looks full i've managed to trick myself into feeling full at the end of a meal even though the majority of my food is salad.

3. Protein with every meal. I literally do this every meal now, whether it's meat protein or veggie protein, there's protein at every meal.  My favourite breakfasts these days are boiled egg on rye toast (with paprika sprinkled over the top) with a cup of herb tea or joghurt with raw mixed nuts and roasted sunflower seeds (i'm not a big cereal fan, have never been). But ultimately my favourite protein is fish (tuna, salmon, yellow tail, you name it).  We live in a coastal town and we can get fresh fish whenever (I have a fishery a block down from us and they get fresh caught fish daily). When I don't have lunch at work i pop down to them for a seared tuna/smoked salmon salad and even pick up fish for dinner that evening or the next.

Funny thing is that I'm not into candy and chocolate (this is something i've never been incredibly fond of) and cakes anymore.  I'd rather nibble on some cheese or home roasted nuts (if i want something salty) or unsalted/unbuttered popcorn or boiled eggs.  I still eat when I'm emotional but I can't remember when last I binge ate anything (not even salad). My boyfriend still makes sure there's 80 - 90% dark chocolate around for that time of month (it seems to be the only time i want chocolate anyway). I also hardly drink juice or alcohol anymore these days - everything tastes either too sweet or too bitter.

Anyway just wanted to share with you because I was asked today how i'm managing to lose weight (cos apparently I look like I've lost a good amount) and still eat pasta for lunch - they hadn't seen me put away the salad before that, haha. And realised that I'm not doing anything too special.  Now someone please tell the scale it's time to catch up with the tape measure :P

My challenge

my decision is now - do i want to do a 6 week challenge yet or not? I need to think about this. 

My challenge

my decision is now - do i want to do a 6 week challenge yet or not? I need to think about this. 

What's holding you back?

How is your cycling going? You haven't mentioned it for a while...

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Also, I promised to make a cake (or biscuits or something) to take round to my neighbors place before they move away. Knowing your baking powers are strong, got any recommendations for something nommy? I'm probably medium kitchen competency these days :)

Feb-March 2022 Challenge