• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hazard

Pushup (AMRAP) Leaderboard

The "rest" position, where you bring your butt up like in a Yoga Downward Dog pose, allows quite a bit more to be performed. On an Army Physical Fitness Test where it is authorized, someone can usually grind out 20-30 more within the 2-minute limit. By allowing a 3-point stance, where one can raise one limb off the ground at a time, I've seen guys stay down for over an hour, completing 500+ repetitions without technically "getting up". (I've also seen a guy execute 80 pull-ups with no kipping by shaking his hands off one at a time

while remaining hanging on the bar.)

Interesting. I'm going to try this. I get frustrated with how low my endurance is. I wonder if this would help build that. 

Fair call on the rules clarification imo, as there are many different form or rule variations to allow you to inflate your push-up numbers. Having said that, I still think Hazard did a remarkably good and precise job of defining things for only 1 attempt.

Speaking for myself, I interpreted the rules as being allowed to stop and catch your breath as long as you maintained the plank position. Here is the relevant line from the original post:

When you can't completely lower and fully push yourself all the way back up while maintaining plank form, the set is over.

I avoided downward dog poses and avoided taking one limb off the ground, as those would break plank. However I definitely did some 'catching my breath' in a plank position to grind out more reps.

For full transparency, for my 2nd attempt I used strategic plank pauses before I was even tired to inflate my numbers. ie: 13 reps, take some deep breaths while planking, 12 reps, deep breaths, 11, 10, 9, 8, -> pyramid to 1.

Anyways - that's my interpretation, I guess we just wait on Hazard to come in with the official ruling :)

• Like 2

female

145 lb / 65.7 kg (+ a belly full of gyros and beer)

ugh I need to retest on a lighter stomach and not bench day but this is the first time it sounded like a good idea. (coincidence? I think not)

Edited by Hazard
added
  • Like 3

Is this the number of unbroken consecutive pushups, or the number before your hands or feet leave the floor?

Speaking for myself, I interpreted the rules as being allowed to stop and catch your breath as long as you maintained the plank position. Here is the relevant line from the original post:

When you can't completely lower and fully push yourself all the way back up while maintaining plank form, the set is over.

I avoided downward dog poses and avoided taking one limb off the ground, as those would break plank. However I definitely did some 'catching my breath' in a plank position to grind out more reps.

For full transparency, for my 2nd attempt I used strategic plank pauses before I was even tired to inflate my numbers. ie: 13 reps, take some deep breaths while planking, 12 reps, deep breaths, 11, 10, 9, 8, -> pyramid to 1.

Anyways - that's my interpretation, I guess we just wait on Hazard to come in with the official ruling :)

Yuen is correct. 

Pausing between reps to catch your breath is fine, as long as you maintain form.

Got it.

Male

137 lbs / 62.2 kg

105 Pushups

Haha, I could tell from your previous posts that you were really determined to post the highest you could possibly manage. Good work! :)

I'll try it with the clarified rules (plank position the whole way) when my DOMS is gone, and hit it hard too. I won't be breaking 100 though, that's pretty certain....

Haha, I could tell from your previous posts that you were really determined to post the highest you could possibly manage. Good work! :)

Thanks. That makes me feel like a douche though. But no, I wasn't trying to game the system to get the best score or anything, I was just trying to get more explanations out there, since there have been discussions about form and other issues with calisthenic challenges.

Been doing pushups for a long time and I just went for it, and I actually felt like I had a few more in the tank but it just hurts to try. (Now I feel like an even bigger douche.) Besides, Flex Luthor hasn't even shown up yet.

Thanks. That makes me feel like a douche though. But no, I wasn't trying to game the system to get the best score or anything, I was just trying to get more explanations out there, since there have been discussions about form and other issues with calisthenic challenges.

Been doing pushups for a long time and I just went for it, and I actually felt like I had a few more in the tank but it just hurts to try. (Now I feel like an even bigger douche.) Besides, Flex Luthor hasn't even shown up yet.

No, being competitive is good (unless you start being anti-supportive of other people) so don't go feeling douchey for taking it seriously :P And the clarifications to the rules were useful for everyone including me - there are more parameters than I thought....

Congrats. How did you get so darn good at pushups? Any tips?

500 a day, 6 days a week, concentrating on increasing the first unbroken set. Stay tight and utilize your stretch reflex. And planks. (I don't do it anymore.)

• Like 1

I can do a 1 set, 5 in a row, but what if during a workout where I have to repeat sets..I can only do 3 at a time? which do I count?

Your max in whatever environment you like - so you can count it as 5 :)

• Like 1

Your max in whatever environment you like - so you can count it as 5 :)

Exactly. Max reps are a differant than sets. I'm on the board for 14, but when I do sets I do between 7-`10

• Like 1

this is great! Not so long ago I wouldn't have had anything to report here at all, now my best today was 12, whoohoo. See, I am at a good point among the females here, yay :)

female

67kg / 147.7 lbs

12 reps

Edited by Hazard
Added
  • Like 2

There's a push-up leader-board!?

LEMME AT IT!

Male - 145lbs (66kg) - 54 reps as of 12/01/15

Good job!

In the future, please post your stats on different lines - as per the format I gave in the rules.  The more uniform the submission formatting is, the quicker & easier it is for me to update the leaderboard.