• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I enjoy the diet shaming that crazy vegans try to pin on me. It's amusing and makes for awesome stories.

Sounds like a good subject for a book. Yeah, the more I observe how vegans interact with the paleo folk, the more I laugh. Yet another reason I have had to separate myself from them. 

"crazy vegans" sounds like diet shaming itself.

I am not saying vegans are crazy or in the wrong, but I have observed their behaviors and opinions towards those who do not share their same dietary intake. Conversely, there are some paleo eaters who are the same when it comes to veganism. 

Because I do think that for SOME people, veganism can work. Just not for me. And right now I have left the vegan community with a bitter taste in my mouth, no pun intended, of course. 

I have only met a couple of vegans who are respectful of the paleo diet and do not believe in a 'one size fits all' approach to health.

I just can't stand anyone who can tell someone their diet is wrong. Not from a  moral standpoint, we all have those and even from vegan to vegan, they differ. In the eyes of many vegans, I'm morally reprehensible for wearing wool and using goat's milk soap.

The parts I hate are meat eaters who say that people are meant to eat meat and that you can't live without it, and the vegans who tell people that nobody is meant to eat meat, despite the fact that we can easily digest it and have certain teeth made for it. Both sides are debunked, you can live along, healthy life as a vegan and you can do the same as a meat eater.

If diet had one answer, we'd all eat it.

• Like 1

I just can't stand anyone who can tell someone their diet is wrong. Not from a  moral standpoint, we all have those and even from vegan to vegan, they differ. In the eyes of many vegans, I'm morally reprehensible for wearing wool and using goat's milk soap.

The parts I hate are meat eaters who say that people are meant to eat meat and that you can't live without it, and the vegans who tell people that nobody is meant to eat meat, despite the fact that we can easily digest it and have certain teeth made for it. Both sides are debunked, you can live along, healthy life as a vegan and you can do the same as a meat eater.

If diet had one answer, we'd all eat it.

Precisely. I see the benefits of both 'diets', and again believe that at the end of the day, you need to see what works best for you.

If you look down the thread, there's a fellow here who also has read in on the acidity of animal proteins. I've read a few articles on this subject, but instead of naming sources, let's just leave it at the fact that any author choosing to elaborate on it is vegan. Again, I detect personal bias to this, as emotions get in the way of fact. I want to see concrete FACT and DETAILs, real evidence, to support their claims. No forum rhetoric, just straight up facts. 

Is the Warriors Guild the lifting section of the forums? As I am still new, I am trying to navigate my way around here and figure out all of these guilds and such.

Yeah, stick with the peer-reviewed primary literature and reviews if possible. Somebody already mentioned PubMed, and if you're associated with a university (or know someone who is) that's also a good way to get access to journals. Unfortunately, some things are difficult to test in the lab, but at least you'll get "facts" (assuming the study was well designed).

You will find lots of Warriors in the lifting section (along with other members of NF--we don't have a monopoly on the iron!), but you can also stop by our subsection of the challenge forums. The Level 1 Rebels will be the place to start your first challenge, though, and will give you a chance to learn the ropes. You can definitely set a food-oriented challenge goal, by the way (ex: "stop eating XYZ and see how I feel," or "eat x amount of protein/day"), so you could try out some of the ideas you've been discussing here in the context of a challenge.

• Like 1

Yeah, stick with the peer-reviewed primary literature and reviews if possible. Somebody already mentioned PubMed, and if you're associated with a university (or know someone who is) that's also a good way to get access to journals. Unfortunately, some things are difficult to test in the lab, but at least you'll get "facts" (assuming the study was well designed).

You will find lots of Warriors in the lifting section (along with other members of NF--we don't have a monopoly on the iron!), but you can also stop by our subsection of the challenge forums. The Level 1 Rebels will be the place to start your first challenge, though, and will give you a chance to learn the ropes. You can definitely set a food-oriented challenge goal, by the way (ex: "stop eating XYZ and see how I feel," or "eat x amount of protein/day"), so you could try out some of the ideas you've been discussing here in the context of a challenge.

Thank you. 

Again, it is a challenge- listening to your intuition, literally trusting your gut instincts. It's hard. Some days, I truly feel guilt for the consumption of meat, while on others, I crave them because they center me at times- it's a balancing act. There are days I can go all out vegan with no complaints, and others where I feel the need to eat some meat. Maybe that in itself is somehow paleo? I doubt our ancestors had access to animal flesh 24/7, and probably spent some days eating berries and what else they could find before the next hunt.

yup. the important is the macros overtime I think. You are probably right and Grok could not eat meat everyday so he/she went for days without eating protein, just to binge on meat when available.

But our bodies can deal with that. as long as your macros are ok through the week, you should be ok.

yup. the important is the macros overtime I think. You are probably right and Grok could not eat meat everyday so he/she went for days without eating protein, just to binge on meat when available.

But our bodies can deal with that. as long as your macros are ok through the week, you should be ok.

Thanks! It's more so about intuition right now. My only struggle is that like I have said before, there is that 'guilt/guilt shaming' from my vegan days. There are many days when I crave animal protein, and others when I all I want to do is stick to eating plant based. 

But I will say that my body sustains muscle a lot easier on my meat eating days.

Hey there,

I'm a former vegan, not by choice but because of digestion issues, and I think I can offer some help. Have you tried a low FODMAP diet? I first tried it for a week and immediately had positive results. The bloating and pain I'd been living with for years was gone so quickly. Most people can do the FODMAP diet while doing other styles of eating as well (paleo for example), however veganisim is a tough one to make work with it, as a lot of vegan staples are off limits.

Anywho, I recommend looking it up and cutting out all FODMAP foods for at least 4 weeks. These foods can include otherwise healthy foods that contain problematic food sugars and other things that cause problems for people with delicate digestion. Things like apples, cherries, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, wheat, beans, lentils etc. will be cut out. Foods can be reintroduced after a time, so you can see if the bother you personally. The Monash University is a great resource and even has an app that tells you what is and isn't ok to eat.

Anyways, this diet has really improved my health, and I hope it helps you too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey there,

I'm a former vegan, not by choice but because of digestion issues, and I think I can offer some help. Have you tried a low FODMAP diet? I first tried it for a week and immediately had positive results. The bloating and pain I'd been living with for years was gone so quickly. Most people can do the FODMAP diet while doing other styles of eating as well (paleo for example), however veganisim is a tough one to make work with it, as a lot of vegan staples are off limits.

Anywho, I recommend looking it up and cutting out all FODMAP foods for at least 4 weeks. These foods can include otherwise healthy foods that contain problematic food sugars and other things that cause problems for people with delicate digestion. Things like apples, cherries, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, wheat, beans, lentils etc. will be cut out. Foods can be reintroduced after a time, so you can see if the bother you personally. The Monash University is a great resource and even has an app that tells you what is and isn't ok to eat.

Anyways, this diet has really improved my health, and I hope it helps you too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, thanks for your input!

From the extensive research I have (and continue to) found, your digestive system can make or break practically ANY 'diet'. But I think it applies more so to veganism. Plant fiber is actually indigestible; we extract the nutrients, but the bulk, or 'fiber' itself goes through intact, so to speak; unlike animal flesh. We do not have the enzymes like that of a cow or horse to break down every part of a plant. That's not to say plants are bad- there are so many legitimate, researched benefits of fiber. BUT, too much fiber can strain and potentially damage otherwise sensitive or weak digestive tract. For me, I was coming off of years of poor ill, and the transition to veganism with poor digestive fire was overkill to my system. I really do admire those who can stay vegan with perfect health for decades with very little complaint; Mimy Kirk or Kimberly Snyder are examples.

You mentioned FODMAPs, and yes, I have heard of them. One of the dietary protocols I am loosely following is the Body Ecology Diet. Their website did mention FODMAPs, and I have yet to completely transition to it. However, as the Body Ecology website has stated, a FODMAP diet is only a temporary fix. It is difficult to maintain, and eliminates certain foods that are otherwise nutritious in a diet. It is also does not address the issue that something is 'wrong' inside one's system. 

Again, I might embark on a FODMAP protocol. For now, I am slowly healing myself, one month at a time.

I do not consume dairy, gluten, or soy at this time. I pay meticulous attention to what ingredients go in my foods. For instance, I use an organic, sprouted brown rice protein powder that does not include any sweeteners, gums, flavors in its ingredients; just the brown rice. People often complain about grains, and so far, this protein powder does not upset my stomach. However, full servings of actual grains seem to cause a little bit of trouble. 

Either way, I am still exploring different possibilities. I take enzymes/probiotics currently, just to rebuild my system. From what I have heard, it can take up to a year or more to really heal, or at least strengthen an otherwise weak, digestive system.