Liser's Battle Log

I have decide to set up a battle log to fill in the gaps when I am not doing a formal or 6 week challenge. 

My overall quest - to become stronger and faster so I am able to do the two fitness challenges I have lined up for the upcoming year (Climb Mt. Katahdin and do the Tough Mountain Challenge - a 5K muddy obstacle course). 

Goals for Dec. 14, 2014 - Jan 1 2015

my quests

quest 1 - 15 minutes of movement every day

quest 2 - one balanced plate meal a day - I have been eating lots of processed foods and carbs lately with a wee bit of protein and fats.  My "plate" has been missing fruits and veggies

quest 3  - report back here or in my journal daily 

side quest -  report back even on bad days and work at stopping the downward spiral that I get into when I don't have a "perfect" day.  This might be as simple as reporting back on the positive things I am accomplishing; concentrating on the good things I am doing and learning but not beating myself up over the unhealthy things. 

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

today's update - 12/14/2014

quest 1 - I did 18 min. of yoga and 24 incline push-ups/lunges/dumbbell rows

quest 2 - lunch was my balanced plate w/ eggs w/ turkey and cheese, corn, caesar salad, milk and 2 clementines.   (Okay, I'll admit, it was kind of a weird lunch, but I was trying to hit the major food groups while cleaning out my fridge). Stayed below my cal. limits on MFP.

quest 3 - yep, reporting here and tracking on MFP

today's accomplishment -  I came back and 'respawned' and made a couple of new friends too.  Really happy about that.  I was in such a bad place, it feels good to be doing healthy things and reconnecting on here again. 

tomorrow's potential problems -  its a workday,  meal planning for breakfast and lunch are really important.  If I don't plan, I end up leaving the house empty handed and end up eating out of drive-thrus and vending machines.  Preparing breakfast and lunch tonight. 

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

12/15/14-update

Q1- movement - yes, did 15 min of yoga and went for a 15 min walk at lunch.  

Q2 - balance plate - yes, I am still cleaning out the fridge;  for lunch I had chicken, potatoes, stuffing, carrots, yogurt and 2 clementines.  I found that having all the food at once was too much so I ended up eating the yogurt and clementines for snacks. 

Q3-yep, reporting back here an on MFP

today's accomplishments - did all my daily quests, yippeeee!!!  made some new friends here (you guys rock!!!),  I feel better, my scale is showing a lower number, got some xmas shopping done (i am the queen of procrastination - yes I am just starting - Bah Humbug!)

stumbling blocks -  I was really resistant to make lunch and breakfast the night before (yesterday night's experiment)...I don't know why.  I had to force myself to do it.  Really weird.  It worked out well in the morning though, grabbing stuff right out of the fridge is sweet though.  So that experiment was a success.  I forgot to do my PLP's, it is still not a habit. :(  Finally I was planning to do a cardio session last night and ended up watching TV instead.  I may have to go to the gym right after work instead of hitting the treadmill at home because as soon as I get home I either make dinner or zone out in front of the TV.

plan for tomorrow - strength session in the AM, dentist appt in the AM

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

12/16/14 (Tuesday) - update

Q1-  Yes, did my PLP's (day 25) and a strength session (20 min)

Q2- yes, I had ham, sweet potato and veggies for lunch. 

Q3-yep, still reporting back

accomplishments -

I had a good day, did my exercises, ate a balanced meal and checked in.  Also went to the dentist, ugh.  I don't floss enough. Work is crazy busy as well. 

stumbling blocks - I went over my calorie limit for the day.  I made baked ziti for supper and didn't really plan it out so I could stay under my calorie limit.  Bringing my gym bag with me on Wednesday AM and planning to go to the gym. Let's see if I can get back into doing higher intensity cardio on at least 2-3 times per week.  

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

It's great that you've started a Battle Log where you can take notes and reflect. Remember that small changes lead to big results in the long run. Don't compare yourself to others; instead, focus on self improvement. I support your journey! Keep up the good work =) 

• Like 2

"Don't trade what you want most of all for what you want in the moment." 

Thanks Aegle - I think the battle log will help a  lot. Most of the time I don't compare myself to others too much.  I have come to grips that I am a slow athelete.  Even when I am fit, I am slow.  its kinda wild when your "running" speed is the the same speed as a power walker.  However, you are right we are all on our own journey. :)

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

12/17/14 (Wednesday) update

Q1- did 13 min of yoga (headstands today - yikes, needless to say, something I have to work on.  I was really happy no one was watching me try to do these. It would have been on youtube listed under "yoga fail"); Did work out #1 of week 1 the couch to 5K.  I did okay - not sore, nothing hurt, I wasn't too winded. I even played on the chin-up machine.  I still want to be able to do a chin-up some day.   Also did my PLP - day 26. 

Q2 - yes breakfast - oatmeal, walnuts, blueberries, yogurt and an egg

Q3 - Yep, still reporting back on mfp and here. Stayed below my cal limit.  My supper choices were poor though.  We left to go xmas shopping as soon as I got home.  Of course, I bought chocolate while we were out.  So for supper I ended up having a little baked ziti and chocolate truffles.  I need to work on having an "emergency meal" stashed away or at least planned out at home and at work for those times when I don't have time to cook anything.

accomplishments - I was psyched to have done my first C25K workout and survived. Overall, yesterday was a good day in regards to exercise and food except for supper. 

stumbling blocks - next two days (thurs and fri) are crazy busy.  I am not sure when i will get my 15 minutes of exercise in today or even when I am going to eat a balanced plate.  We are going out to lunch at a Thai restaurant I have never been to.  I am hoping they have a stirfry of some sort.  If so, I'll have stirfry w/ meat, rice and that will be pretty close to a balanced plate (protien, carb, veggie). 

Friday is our workplace xmas pot luck.  I am at a loss at how to handle this.  :(

I have seen people do two things - one is to call it a "cheat" day and don't even try to track what is eaten - for me might turn into a free for all,  the second is to look at what is out there and try to keep it healthy with one or two special treats or desserts. I'll let you know how that all works out.

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

12/17/14 (Wednesday) update

Q1- did 13 min of yoga (headstands today - yikes, needless to say, something I have to work on.  I was really happy no one was watching me try to do these. It would have been on youtube listed under "yoga fail"); Did work out #1 of week 1 the couch to 5K.  I did okay - not sore, nothing hurt, I wasn't too winded. I even played on the chin-up machine.  I still want to be able to do a chin-up some day.   Also did my PLP - day 26. 

Q2 - yes breakfast - oatmeal, walnuts, blueberries, yogurt and an egg

Q3 - Yep, still reporting back on mfp and here. Stayed below my cal limit.  My supper choices were poor though.  We left to go xmas shopping as soon as I got home.  Of course, I bought chocolate while we were out.  So for supper I ended up having a little baked ziti and chocolate truffles.  I need to work on having an "emergency meal" stashed away or at least planned out at home and at work for those times when I don't have time to cook anything.

accomplishments - I was psyched to have done my first C25K workout and survived. Overall, yesterday was a good day in regards to exercise and food except for supper. 

stumbling blocks - next two days (thurs and fri) are crazy busy.  I am not sure when i will get my 15 minutes of exercise in today or even when I am going to eat a balanced plate.  We are going out to lunch at a Thai restaurant I have never been to.  I am hoping they have a stirfry of some sort.  If so, I'll have stirfry w/ meat, rice and that will be pretty close to a balanced plate (protien, carb, veggie). 

Friday is our workplace xmas pot luck.  I am at a loss at how to handle this.  :(

I have seen people do two things - one is to call it a "cheat" day and don't even try to track what is eaten - for me might turn into a free for all,  the second is to look at what is out there and try to keep it healthy with one or two special treats or desserts. I'll let you know how that all works out.

One strategy I've tried at a work event is to limit myself to one plate. I'll eat whatever I like including things that are 'bad' on that plate, and I'll probably get too many calories, but if I don't go back for seconds, and I don't have a separate plate for dessert there's only so much damage I can do since I have to grab very small portions of all the different foods I want to try to get them all to fit. Then I get right back on the horse for my next meal. (I try to plan for having a salad or other very light dinner on days I know there's going to be a luncheon at work to offset some of the extra cals). YMMV. Great job keeping up with the regular posts and hitting workouts! Even if you go into your xmas as a free for all, it's not the end of the world, you can just forgive yourself for a holiday indulgence and keep working on the meals that follow.

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Those who feel themselves despised do well to look despising. The smile on Bernard Marx's face was contemptuous." 

O wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't.

— William Shakespeare

PDazzle - I think that will work, I want to scope out and pick what I want before I go thru as well.  Both those strategies should help.  Today will be a rough one,  the munchkins someone brought in are already calling me.

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

12/18/14 update (thursday)

Q1- I did not get my 15 minutes of movement in nor did I do my PLP. :(  I felt overwhelmed most of the day;  It was a busy, full day and I am happy it is over.

Q2- yes, lunch thai chicken cashew stir fry, and brown rice

Q3 - Yes still reporting back here and on MFP; I went over my cal amount yesterday. 

accomplishments - I have been doing well avoiding surgary treats.  Yesterday someone had homemade choc chip cookies out...OMG.  I stayed out of them.  I ate out and made good choices. :)

stumbling blocks - I had a slight weight gain at my weigh in Thursday night.  I was bummed.  Not unusual though since I eat out in the afternoon.  Even though I made good choices, I think the food was salty.  Anyway, I looking forward to next week's weigh in,  I am doing the right things it will eventually show up on the scale.  I also went over my cal limit -  I got home really late and ate without looking at how many calories I was eating. 

As I mentioned before, Friday's challenge is the holiday pot luck lunch at work.  Ugh. 

Finally, I am going to start a spreadsheet to track the days I complete my quests - I'll probably set it up for 100 days.  Partly to remind myself how well I am doing even when I have a set back.  In the past, if I am off track one or two days, it will feel like I have been off track for weeks - its like that one negative event clouds over all the positive things I am doing. The only one rule is with this is I can't start over...once I start on the 100 day journey I have to finish it or I will be starting over every time I have a set back.

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

Hello, you haven't been active on NF for a few days and I just want to check in to make sure you're all right. The holidays are an overwhelming and stressful time. I hope you were able to relax and spend time with loved ones. Don't worry too much if your diet and exercise got setback. You can overcome challenges now and get a head start on your New Year's resolutions. 

• Like 1

Thank for checking in Aegle.  The holidays were overwhelming and I did not fare well at least in regards to making healthy choices..  However, i am respawning (yet again)...woot woot!!! 

Here are my quests for the upcoming 6 week challenge.  I'll give them a trial run for the next few days to see if they need to be tweaked.

Q1- 2 couch to 5K work outs per week (step aerobics, hiking, a 60+ walk or any activity that is moderately cardio are "ok" substitutes) and 2 strength work outs per week.  This is in preparation for my Tough Mountain challenge, a 5K obstacle course challenge in July.

Q2 - One balanced plate or paleo meal per day.  I bought Practical Paleo over Christmas and will probably get nom nom Paleo

Q3 - report back here and on MFP daily (or in a journal if my puter is not available).

side quest - declutter - I have seen a few blogs on the web about people that get rid of 10 things a day or 10 things a week.  I have so much stuff that I really want to get rid of that this kind of quest might work for me. The quest, I want to get rid of 10 things a week and by "get rid of", I mean, get it out of the house.  Normal trash does not count, it has to be something that I have been "saving".

life quest - write up my Level 50/Epic list.  I wrote a list of the 12 things I want to accomplish this year, but I still need to write up my list of things I would need to accomplish to level up my life to where I want it to be.

• Like 2

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/1/14 update (thursday)

Q1- yes, I did a strength work out and yoga; Plan to go to the gym to do my cardio workout tomorrow.  

Q2- yes, had a balanced meal - cornflake chicken, sweet potato and string beans and frozen fruit for dessert

Q3 - Yes still reporting back here and on MFP; stayed below my cal limit 

accomplishments - I wrote up my resolutions and things I want to accomplish in the upcoming year. Made a balanced lunch the entire family enjoyed. 

stumbling blocks - I got into the sweets today.  I still have a bunch of sweets my family gave me. Geesh.  I need to either freeze what I want to keep or throw it out.  At present, it is there calling me it every time I am in the kitchen. 

I set it up a spreadsheet to track my quests and PLP(set up as a 100 day challenge).   

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/2/14 update (friday)

Q1- no, no workouts.  =(  No excuses, just didn't do it. I'll have to try to make up the difference this weekend. 

Q2- yes, had a balanced meal - spinach salad w/ chicken, asian dressing, carrots and a yogurt.

Q3 - Yes still reporting back here and on MFP; yes, I ate well during the day but blew when I got home.  I got into the sweets and drank up the remainder of the spumanti I had left over from new year's.  

accomplishments - wrote a list of areas I want to declutter

stumbling blocks - I got into the sweets today again.  Seems to be a recurring theme.  I NEED TO GET THEM OUT OF SIGHT. i spoke to someone recently that mentioned that at their healthiest they were doing cardio almost daily.  I remembered the same thing as well.  It reminded me to really make being fitter a priority.  Why go thru all this hassle (tracking what I eat, exercising, etc) if I am not giving it 100%.  

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/3/14 update (saturday)

Q1- yes, did a walk on the treadmill.  I was planning to do a run/walk, but had a snack before and couldn't get moving.  Settled for a 30 minute walk + a yoga session afterward. 

Q2- yes, had a balanced meal - spinach,onion, cheese omellette, w/ milk and sweet potato fries 

Q3 - Yes still reporting back here and on MFP; yes, I stayed below my cal limit today (unlike yesterday where I totally blew it) and made pretty good choices.  I am still getting in the sweets. 

accomplishments - threw out the sweets we weren't eating, hid the rest.  (Not much left thank goodness),  did household chores. Got a work out in even though I didn't want to.  My body was not cooperating tonight.  

Stumbling blocks tomorrow - weekend has no routine.  Other obstacle - my kitchen isn't really well stocked right now.  Hope to come up with healthy meals tomorrow and not my easy-to-make carb meals (like spaghetti). 

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/4/14 update (Sunday)

Q1- yes, 60 min. shoveling;  

Q2- no

Q3 - Yes still reporting back here and on MFP; I am still having trouble with sweets.  I was avoiding a big project yesterday so procrastinated all day which led to anxiety which led to eating sweets.  ~frown~  

accomplishments - Shoveled the driveway and did lots of laundry

Stumbling blocks  - procrastination (and the guilt and anxiety that comes with it) leads to eating.  This will be an interesting dragon to slay. I ended up putting that project off all day and felt guilty all day. :( I couldn't seem to break out of the funk I was in.

Good news is I got up this morning and started working on it.  Feeling better about it now, but still mad that I kept on putting it off instead of just doing it. 

Stumbling block for this week -- going out to eat today and tomorrow. Keeping my eating in check will be difficult. I'll preplan what I will eat on Monday  to keep it under my cal level. 

Overview Jan 1 - Jan 4rth

Q1 - did 2 cardio and 1 strength, not bad for a partial week. 

Q2 - had a balanced meal or paleo meal 3 out of 4 days.  I'll have to watch for laziness here and stay on top of meal planning

Q3- Yes on reporting back.  At least I am facing up to my mistakes.  Hopefully my ramblings and rants will help.  My sugar "addiction" is making it hard to stay below my cal limits.  ~sigh~  

this week's accomplishments - set up it my quests and took them for a trial run. =) 

Biggest stumbling blocks has been my overeating sweets and how I am reacting when I am in procrastination mode.  Honestly, I just didn't want to work on my day off even though the project I am working on is really important.  Unfortunately the more I put it off the guiltier I felt the more I want to eat to numb that feeling.  I wonder if meditation would have helped. 

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/5/15 Update (Monday)

Q1- I did my strength work out (which includes the BBW) and a yoga session

Q2 - yes - the quesidilla I had for dinner had veggies, chicken and carbs

Q3 - yes - reported back here and on MFP.  Ate out today.  Although my cal totals say I broke even today, I still think I went over my cal. limit.  Eating out is tough

accomplishments - worked on my big project and got my strength session in.

stumbling blocks - can you say "sugar" and eating out.  I did plan ahead and that helped, it would have been a lot worse if I had not exercised today

plan for tomorrow - eating out again tomorrow at a I chinese buffet.  If I have a stir fry with rice I should be okay. the hard part will be staying away from the less healthy stuff and going for seconds.

Also I want to do a cardio session tomorrow.  Maybe if I stop by the gym after work before I come home.  I don't think I will do it if I try to do it at home.  My kids are too distracting and will want dinner.  Telling them I need to get on the treadmill will not go over well.   As far as sugar goes - I really need to say "I don't do sugar" and mean it.  I am getting so frustrated with myself. ~sigh~

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

1/6/2015 (Tuesday)

Q1 - yes, I did W1 WO2 of the C25K plan, shin splints started acting up. These will go away with time.  I went to the gym afterwork. Yuck - hated it, too many people.  Was psyched I did the work out though; I had almost talked myself out of going.

Q2 - yes, breakfast was balanced - oatmeal, walnuts, craisins, milk and an egg

Q3 - Yes reporting back to both MFP and NF

I went to a chinese restaurant with a buffet.  These will be the death of me.  I ate too much though I did try to eat mostly the stir fry and rice and had a fortune cookie.  Skipped supper except for some almonds, frozen fruit and string cheese.  I was still full from lunch

accomplishments - ate a balanced plate for breakfast, did my cardio work out and stayed away from sugar, I had a fortune cookie.

stumbling blocks - no big ones today

plan - strength wo tonight.  Made a chicken recipe from my practical paleo cookbook, trying that out for lunch

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

It's a great feat that you exercised at the gym even though you were close to talking yourself out of it! Don't worry too much about the buffet, at least you ate some veggies and didn't binge on sweets. I hope the Practical Paleo recipe works out well. Also, to save you time when you return home after work, I recommend making meals in a slow cooker if you have one. There are plenty of recipes that you can find online, and then you just throw the ingredients in the pot and presto--a nice meal to share with your family when you come home in the evening :) You got this! 

Update 1/16/2015 (Friday)

Q1-I did not exercise at all yesterday. 

Q2- ugh, did not really do that either

Q3-I reported in mfp and am reporting back here today.

Not an exceptionally good day.  I went over on my calories. :(  Today (Saturday) is all about being kind to myself.  I wallowed in self pity last night using food to help with that.  Part of it had to do with the date I had earlier that night.  I went out of a first date and it was awful.  I could sense as soon as we met that he was not impressed with my size and had passed judgment, not even really trying to get to know me.  Its probably one of the worse dates I have had yet.  I have had dates where we have too little in common or the guy I am with is really shy, but this date was worse than that.  It started off poorly where we had to wait 30 minutes for a table.  I tried to keep the conversation going, but he responded with one sentence answers.  He did ask what I was planning to eat, I told him I didn't know since I had no idea what was on the menu; when I asked him was he was planning to eat he said salad.  It was a dig, kind of mean one too since he ended up eating a burger and fries.  I decided on a French onion soup and water.  I wanted the date to be over.  He finally loosened up a little after two drinks, but even then I was still carrying the conversation.  I babbled on about my kids and asked him a bunch of questions.  I did not share the cool fitness adventures I have planned for this year (he is workouts a lot) because he did not deserve to know. He talked about a hike he wanted to do, and I said I was planning to do that too, and the face he made said he didn't believe me.  He was a twit.  I had already decided to give up dating until I have more time for it and have a strong enough self esteem to deal with bad dates or the emotional roller coaster of dating.  This date definitely drove the point home. So today is about self compassion, getting fired up about myself and not stuffing my face in an attempt to feel better.  (Though chocolate ice cream would be awful good). I still feel like I have been run over by a truck. But I also feel inspired to prove that lunk head wrong.

Friday's accomplishments - went on a date, met someone new, was pretty productive at work.  I set up a meeting with a personal trainer so he can help me set up a training plan for my tough mountain challenge in July and my big hike. I am so psyched.  My tough mountain challenge team is up to 8 people...woot!!!  woot!!  I want go check out a ropes course or a place with a rock climbing wall to help with my upper body strength.

Stumbling blocks - Eat out a lot yesterday and eat and drank in response to being upset.

Plan for Saturday -  I have a quiet day planned.  Planning an upper body strength work out (lower body tomorrow) so I can get my two strength work outs in. I want to do some cardio, but am not sure what yet.  Maybe I'll embarrass my teen by dancing around the house.  ( I love the saying "dance like nobody is watching" )

ttfn

~lisa

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

If you need any recommendations for paleo bloggers, cookbooks, etc. just let me know! 

That would be great Aegle.  Any recommendations would be most welcome.  :)

Liser Frenche

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn