When the TARDIS comes, I want to be ready.

Just about to get started.  38 years old, female, 5'5", and in the 175-180 range, generally speaking.  Pretty much all blubber.

I've just gotten back on Weight Watchers, which in the past I have found easy and effective for weight loss, but not necessarily for getting healthier.  For now I'll stay on it, as points are an easy short-hand for calories, fat, fiber, etc.  I'm already gluten free, but going paleo might be a challenge with my carb-loving spouse.

I have some background with weight lifting when I was a teenager, which I enjoyed.  I have no issue with the idea of bulking up a bit.  Muscles are sexy!  I have some home gear - I enjoy the weight machine and loathe the elliptical. 

I'd like to get the hang of the basic bodyweight routine before the next challenge starts.  I reviewed the video today and will start tomorrow.  I'm positive there will be loud bitching and moaning.

Goals?  Everyone says setting goals is important.  Meh.  Nothing specific or spectacular.  I love to travel and that's hard when you get winded easily.  I want to reduce my risk of disease and injury.  Just general things.

What's working against me?  Same as anyone else.  Sweet tooth, no grasp on portion sizes, and lazy as the day is long.  Nothing special!  

Need to get ready, never know when the Doctor will show up.  Ready, set, go!  

• Like 2

Battle Log    Challenges:  1, 2

weight loss collage Day One

Here we go...

15 min walk - rearranged my dining room table so I can do it in my kitchen/dining room. About 35 steps around!
20 squats - oh, god, my knees and shoulders!
10 pushups - on a table edge
20 lunges
10 DB row - using a power drill since it is shaped right for a hand. I'm sure it only weighs a couple of pounds.
15 sec plank - harder than I thought!
30 jumping jacks - out of breath fast

Okay, so now I make distinctions. I have bad shoulders and weak knees. I think the difference is important, though I'm sure both can be improved through careful exercise. Basically I have no other issues except being a pile of blubber.

It's really embarrassing how hard this was for me. And the fact that I only did one set. But maybe I'll do another set later today, or try two tomorrow. Easing into it.

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Edited to add, I ate 32 points today.

It is ridiculous that after one circuit, modified for pansies, that my ass is this sore. On the upside, this means that when I get the hang of it, my ass should look fantastic.

I was thinking that I would like to alternate bodyweight workout days with yoga or stretching days. Range of motion and flexibility are definitely issues that I need to work on. So today I will look for something of a yoga variety. I believe there should be something available on a smart TV app.

30 minute yoga routine from a SmarTV app. Poses were illustrated not demonstrated, which made it harder to grasp. Next time I will do a video based routine.

I did the yoga routine with an emphasis on the stretching, not as a workout.

Thanks Seven! Gotta start somewhere.

15 minute indoor walk. And an added plus, it's a little chilly in here so if I just take a walk every time I get cold I will get a lot of exercise in. Now I'm nice and warm.

Baking cupcake size frittata for on the go snackage. I'm pretty good about packing my lunches and usually eat oatmeal for breakfast.

I looked at the website for the yoga studio that is closest to my house. They have a special deal where you can take as many classes as you want for 2 weeks for only $20. If I do this starting next week that would work out, because I work at the school system and have two weeks off for the holiday break. I think this might be a good investment, small as it is. Moreso an investment of time than money.

No way to delete posts, eh? Was trying to condense to one per day. Noted.

Thinking about my character, per today's email. I can't really choose a class. I guess adventurer is the default. I find myself looking at druids not because I am drawn to their focus, but because their disciplines sound less intimidating. I'm sure they're not actually easier, just talking knee jerk reaction.

I want to be strong, agile, take gymnastics and judo, and be sexy!! Generally when playing games I choose a thief as my character.

Thoughts?

I did some research and chose to join the assassins. I like their approach as far as non traditional modes of exercise. I do get bored easily, so this is planning around that known trait.

Along that line I have been thinking about what is available in my area. The only circus arts group is at a local private college, so I doubt that I would be able to benefit from that. There is a gymnastics gym downtown, but I am quite positive I am NOT ready for that yet. The ones closer to my house do not accept adults as far as I can tell from their website. There are a couple of dance studios who accept adults. My ceilings are too low to jump rope indoors. there is a judo studio just a couple miles from my house, that I plan on attending once I am stronger. (Obviously, different activities have different costs associated with them and I do need to be reasonable both in terms of time and money commitments.)

Which leads me to another question. How do you know that you have become strong enough to do a targeted activity?

Today did Sit and Be Fit on TV, one BBWW circuit (doubled the rows, but cut pushups in half due to left pectoral pain), and overall about 45 min walking (two sessions). Hubby did the BBWW with me! He's competitive... Planked for over a minute to my 20 seconds.

I have a question, why wait until you think you are stronger? If you really, really want to do gymnastics, dance, judo, feel the fear and jump right in. A lot of people here do multiple disciplines at the same time. Try them out, make them your way to get stronger.

My own experience is that if I put something off because of x,y,z then I would never do anything. :)

Although like most things money is an issue with some activities, but that may be an opening to go down to the Judo, dance studio, walk in the door and start enquiries. Talk to the people.

I wish I had such great choices around here. Tiny towns are limited in what is offered.

Good Luck Companion!

Wait! What............?

Ooh, good question. Stream of conscious warning!

I guess I think that if I'm really weak, that I will have a higher injury risk or that I will lose time (money) waiting to become strong rather than learning skills.

I kind of feel like if everyone showed up on day one they would be at square one and I'd be at square minus three. I feel so far below average.

So, I guess it is mostly fear of finding out for sure what a weakling I truly am.

When I say it like that it sounds dumb. Lol!

Okay, I'm going to do the yoga thing over holiday break. In January we are going on a cruise so I will sign up for either gymnastics or judo when we get back. :)

Thanks for challenging that thought process!!!

• Like 1

Follow through:

Left a voicemail for gymnastics info. Website has no info on adult except for open gym, which is $10 per session. That seems like it would add up really fast. I would also need to purchase whenever people wear for those kinds of things. Unless it is just shorts and a t-shirt?

Judo website says $50 to start and $35/mo. When you pay for one discipline, you are allowed to attend the other classes that they teach like karate or aikido at no extra charge. The judo course meets Tuesdays and Thursdays. I already have a gi. Obviously, there are fees for competitions and promotions.

Er mah gerd!!! The dojo has, every other sunday, historical European martial arts. Nerdville!! :) Sold!!

• Like 2

the gymnastics gym left me a message this morning. They say that only Friday night drop in gym is available. $20 for the first time in, ten dollars for every time after that. An instructor teaches you how to work one piece of equipment per week, and then you basically are on your own.

today is my rest day so I am only going to do a few 15 minute walks, and I'm also doing bathroom pushups. It's just 10 incline push ups off of the bathroom counter every time I use the facilities. I've done this before and they tend to have pretty quick toning results for my flabby arms.

soreness wise I think that I did pretty good because I can feel it in my legs, rear end, a little bit in my arms, my back, & a tiny bit in my abs. Based on that, I need to increase my plank time to work my abs harder, and focus on engaging my core consistently. The bathroom pushups should take care of increasing the strain on my arm muscles.

today is my weigh in day at Weight Watchers and my home scale says 174 this morning. my starting weight when I came back to Weight Watchers a few weeks ago it was 183.

also happening today is a diagnostic mammogram. This has been both a stressor and a motivator for getting myself into better health in general. My doctor found some lumps around Halloween, and now we are about to find out what they are in the next few weeks. Odds are it is probably nothing, but it is still on my radar.

I remembered that they just built a Planet Fitness here, so I was thinking about touring it this weekend. However, I watched some videos about Planet Fitness on youtube, and it looks like they are completely machine-based isolation exercises. That is not what I am after. I want to do exercises that engage as much of my body as possible at once. Work smart, not hard. Or even better, work smart AND hard.

• Like 1

I'm already gluten free, but going paleo might be a challenge with my carb-loving spouse.

I do about 80% paleo right now, and my fiance is a carb lover, the best tip I can give you is salads... everything goes on a salad. She'll make some taco meat, I throw it in a bowl with the veggies, she makes chicken quesadillas.... I have a chicken salad. Also, burgers become meat cookies, and I just put them on a plate, top with whatever I want, and eat them with a fork or fingers...

I kind of feel like if everyone showed up on day one they would be at square one and I'd be at square minus three. I feel so far below average.

You're looking at this wrong... just showing up puts you ahead of a large chunk of people... so while it may or may not be true that you're at square 1 minus 3.... there are MANY people who aren't even on their way to square 1, much less anywhere close to Square 1 minus 3.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

You are right, "average" is planted on the couch watching TV. Let's make a decree: showing up IS square one.

:)

And I just bought a ton of salad stuff so that works out nicely!

yay.jpg

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Good news with the mammogram results.

Hahahaha, Planet Fitness, aren't they the gym that have Pizza days? Kind of defeating the purpose. :)

Google salads too, people seem to get stuck on the whole lettuce/tomato/onion thing. I will say right here that I love salad but try to mix it up with variations and using seasonal veggies and fruit. Sometimes they fail.......apricots sometimes don't go with pickle.......but we have had some great success too, roasted pumpkin salad......OMG soooo good.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28713/pumpkin+rocket+salad

Might have to try these Bathroom push ups.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Good news with the mammogram results.

Hahahaha, Planet Fitness, aren't they the gym that have Pizza days? Kind of defeating the purpose. :)

Google salads too, people seem to get stuck on the whole lettuce/tomato/onion thing. I will say right here that I love salad but try to mix it up with variations and using seasonal veggies and fruit. Sometimes they fail.......apricots sometimes don't go with pickle.......but we have had some great success too, roasted pumpkin salad......OMG soooo good.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28713/pumpkin+rocket+salad

Might have to try these Bathroom push ups.

Planet Fitness, while it's business model isn't something I support, it is pretty genius if you think about it. "Here, we'll give you cheap access to machines that make you feel like you're losing weight, then we'll give you food that puts the weight back on so you end up in an endless cycle of coming to the gym"

Edit: So I saw the link, and that it said pumpkin and rocket.... apparently there's a vegetable called a rocket... who knew *shrugs*

Love the kitty!!

Mammogram and ultrasound show cysts, not cancer, so that's cool.

Toured Planet Fitness on the way home. It was a good giggle. Not the place for me. I WANT TO BE INTIMIDATING!!!!

YAY.... good to hear.

My first challenge

I want to say rockets are dandelion greens?

Nope, arugula.

http://m.wisegeek.com/what-are-rocket-greens.htm

I wonder how many people at work I can freak out...

"What's for lunch"

*Steely eyed grin*

"Rockets...."

• Like 1

My first challenge