• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KillerGriller

KillerGriller's 7 weeks of BUSY!

Just to recap here are my goals:

Fitness:

1.) Run Training 3-4 times a week; speedwork, recovery, long run (mostly trails)

2.) Strength Training 2-3 times a week; chinups, pullups, pushups, deadlifts, and squats. Lat pulldowns, barbell rows, planks, bench press and overhead press optional.

3.) Hockey once a week, rock climbing & lap swimming when I can

4.) Set goal race schedule for 2012

5.) Pace my neighbour in his first(last?) Half Marathon

Diet Goals:

1.) No more booze at home, and limited booze outside (events, and meals out only). i.e. - stop drinking like a fratboy

2.) Eat an apple a day. My diet is pretty good, but I take one to work everyday and manage to ignore it.

3.) More water!

Life Goals:

1.) Focused guitar playing; writing, practicing specific songs, and playing drills. No more wasted time on aimless noodling!

I started my challenge last Monday, so I'll be posting my first week result in ~2 1/2 minutes.

Posted Image

Thoughts so far:

Fitness:

- 35+km of running this week with a solid speed workout and a 11.6km trail run over the weekend. This is a plus

- It was my hope to get in at least 2 (or 3) days of strength training this week, but that didn't happen. I took Friday as a much needed rest day instead. It's not an excuse, but it was reality.

- I was happy about getting in a solid swimming workout, which I made a brick by sandwiching it with a short run before and after. Wed. are usually my strength night but the timing was right to hit the pool.

Diet:

- Surprisingly, it was the water consumption that was hardest to maintain. I have a feeling it was displaced by coffee consumption due to increased fatigue. Something to keep an eye on.

- Not much fruit on the weekend. Gotta fix that.

Life:

- 1 day of 7...and only 10 minutes at that....bad Griller, BAD!

Edited by KillerGriller

More weight/body-weight work last night. Took it easy due to fatigue (I fell asleep on the floor for a half hour before putting the kidlets to bed), but still made use of my time when I got into it.

3 x 20 Pushups

3 x 10 Decline Pushups (feet up)

1 x 5 chinups

1 x 5 pullups

3 x 15 leg extensions

2 x 10 deadlifts

2 x 10 barbell rows

I usually do 3 sets of both Chinups & Pullups but by the end of the first set I knew there was no fuel in the tank for them. Surprisingly I added the Decline Pushups, and Barbell Rows this week without issue...but for some reason Chin/Pullups just weren't happenin' last night.

I'll be keeping the weight down and reps high for the next two weeks, I am pacing a friend in a Half Marathon at the start of Nov., and I'd hate to bail on my commitment due to soreness/poor performance/injury etc. Once that's complete I'll be adding weight much like the 5x5 Stronglifts program.

To infinity and beyond b!tches!

Edited by KillerGriller

Ran 8.62km last night. My speedwork partner had to bail on me, but I really wasn't looking forward to running 400m repeats so I ran a nice recovery pace instead. Now I'm better set up to hit the strength workouts tonight.

Edited by KillerGriller

I was on daddy-duty last night so my Wednesday night running partner came over to crush some iron.

3 x 20 Pushups

3 x 5 chinups

3 x 5 pullups

3 x 15 crunches

3 x 15 leg extensions

3 x 10 hamstring curls

3 x 15 lat pulldowns

2 x 10 deadlifts

2 x 10 barbell rows

Feelin' good, gonna be sore for the next couple of days.

Edited by KillerGriller

Good and bad weekend. I was able to go rock climbing with my wife on Friday night which was a huge plus, it was my first time leading (lead climbing) in well over a year. Got a speed (running) workout in early Saturday morning, and coached a hockey session right after, but drank & ate too much from Sat. night onwards. Sunday I was so exhausted that I took the only free time I had and passed out for an hour.

Why are my weekends so busy/exhausting? Family Commitments = 2 kids birthday parties, 2 Halloween parties, 2 hockey practices, 1 visit from my folks, 1 visit from an out of town friend, pumpkin carving x 2, meal prep. & clean up, garbage duty, etc. etc....I'm not bragging or complaining, this is just the way things are in my universe right now.

Weekly summary coming up!

Edited by KillerGriller

Weekly Overview

Fitness:

My mileage was down this week, but the workouts were solid. I hit all the areas I wanted to hit; speed, trail, recovery. As for weights things went really well. Two workouts this week with the addition of barbell rows, and decline pushups, both sessions were great. I got out rock climbing instead of swimming this week and it felt great! Hockey was better this week than the past two and for that I’m pretty happy, it was getting really frustrating.

Diet:

Diet was spot on during the week, but as soon as I hit the weekend everything went to hell. Didn’t drink nearly enough water, very little fruit, and I drank WAY too much Sat. night and Sunday. Weekends are my Achilles heel!

Life:

Awesome week for guitar. Most of the sessions haven’t been long, but quality while I’ve been doing it. I think I’ve finalized a song I’ve been writing. I’m ready to record it and send it off to my bass player for his input My next push will be to polish up a specific list of cover tunes so I’ll have something ready when folks want to sit down and jam.

Overall: I hit all my weekly goals for the fitness and life portions, and diet was pretty good, but it felt like I was skidding into the station in a burning heap. I stumbled Sunday and Monday with all the Halloween distractions but it's time to get back on track and rock this challenge!

Edited by KillerGriller

thanks Skirler! Over and above everything in this challenge I'm simply trying to be somewhat active everyday; fitting in what I can, when I can. The biggest help I found was doing simple things first (Pushups & chin/pullups) then ride your momentum. Cheers!

LoLoL ... "simple things" = pushups and pullups. Liar liar pants on fire.

I have to seriously work UP to your simple things. I'll get there though. And you are right - momentum does wonders for feuling the fire.

Edited by Skirler
cuz negative space has meaning

LoLoL ... "simple things" = pushups and pullups. Liar liar pants on fire.

I have to seriously work UP to your simple things. I'll get there though. And you are right - momentum does wonders for feuling the fire.

Heh heh, "Simple things" are exercises that you can do anywhere and don't take any fancy equipment.

Posted Image

Fitness:

After I pulled up my boots last Tuesday, I did alright hitting my fitness goals. I was 1 run short on my tally, however I held off on a Saturday’s run to prepare for Sunday’s half marathon. It was either hit the goal, or prep for the race. Since I had made the commitment way before this challenge came along I don’t feel too bad about my choice. I missed a workout Monday night with Halloween and all, so I was a weight session short this week as well. Another Friday night climbing session with the wife was an awesome addition, but again no swimming this week (another good trade-off).

Diet:

My diet goals were almost non-existent this week. My water consumption was ok, but my alcohol consumption was daily so I’m probably on the down side of things here.

Life:

I don’t think I played my guitar once this week. It seemed like every time I planned to do it, something else came up. Truth be told, I probably didn’t make the effort.

Overall:

As you can tell I’m working my way out of a small hole right now in “7 Week Challenge” land. I was concerned this might happen after having such a good week 2 as I tend to compensate good behaviour with self-destruction on a regular basis.

3 x 20 Pushups

3 x 5 chinups

3 x 5 pullups

3 x 15 crunches

3 x 15 leg extensions

3 x 10 hamstring curls

3 x 15 lat pulldowns

2 x 10 deadlifts

2 x 10 barbell rows

I'm going to try and add weight to the deadlifts/lower the reps, and introduce some easy squats next workout session. I would have done it last night, but my partner wasn't feeling it and I don't want to break him.

Killer, I am liking the weekly chart you got going there. I feel your pain with how you subconsciously reward yourself for the good behavior by lapsing back in the bad behavior. I have little trouble this week with that (smack in the face). Keep up the good work.

Killer, I am liking the weekly chart you got going there. I feel your pain with how you subconsciously reward yourself for the good behavior by lapsing back in the bad behavior. I have little trouble this week with that (smack in the face). Keep up the good work.

thanks dude!

I have to keep reminding myself to take constant little steps when implementing things like this challenge, that way my brain thinks what we're doing is normal instead of compensating for huge changes in our routine. Damn you brain!!

Sign in to follow this