• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KristiEllKay

Kristi's 6 Week Challenge -- 10/24 to 12/5

My 3 Fitness-related goals for this challenge are:

1) To be able to do 25 pushups. I am currently able to do one. Seriously. One. And it's all wobbly.

2) To be able to do 5 inverted rows. I am currently able to do absolutely none.

3) QUIT. EFFING. SMOKING. My bf keeps trying to quit, but he slides right back because I haven't quit. And when we both try to quit together, we're way too willing to give in to the other one, because it means then we can smoke, too. No more.

Life goal:

1) This sounds dumb, but I'm going to go to class every single time during these 5 weeks. I've been awful about leaving work to go to class, but I really need to stop BSing with my friends and go to class. This is the reason I'm not at A&M anymore, and yet I still do it. But not during these 6 weeks. Class every Tuesday and Thursday. For real.

Good luck everyone!

I look up to you just for putting "quit smoking" as one of your goals. It's one of the things I don't have to courage to get rid of. What's your strategy on this one?

Your attendance goal doesn't sound dumb... In fact, one of mine is very similar, so I understand you.

We're in the same squad, so I'll be checking your progress. I hope you beat this challenge down! Cheers!

My strategy is cutting back until I'm at zero. Still working out the exact logistics, but I do know that I want my Day 1 of absolutely zero cigs to be on a Monday. At work, I can stay busy-busy-busy without going to get a smoke, and by the time I get home, I'm hoping that the momentum will keep me going. And also hoping that I don't kill my bf. I'm fixing to be 25, and realized that before too much longer, I want kids. On top of that, I definitely do NOT want to be going through nicotine-withdrawals while I'm pregnant when I could've knocked it out well before reaching that point. So I guess that's my source of strength, though I know I'll need help getting through it.

I feel like the attendance goal is dumb because it's one of those things where I know I'm definitely smarter than that. Like smoking. So I feel stupid for having to list it as a goal when I should already be doing it, but I figure baby steps.

Thanks! I hope you kick ass, too! =D

I hope you kill it (especially those cigarettes)! Glad to have another newbie in the squad! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. What is your plan for the pushup and inverted row goals?

And that is far from a dumb life goal. It's something you struggle with and I can assure you it's something that most people struggle with.

I have a huge desk at work that isn't about to move or break; that's my spot for inverted rows. Right now, I'm bringing myself up to it and slowing my descent--working the negative aspect of the movement to build up the strength for the positive. As for the pushups, I'm just working on increasing by a single pushup every time I do them. Luckily, I work with a bunch of massage therapists who are nice enough to work on my pecs and traps when they're super sore

Kristi, welcome to the squad! I'm not gonna lie, these goals look HARD. But that's good, because when we see your progress after six weeks, we will all go "holy shit". Your plan sounds solid; I look forward to seeing your "pushups / inverted rows" count go up and your "cigarettes today" count go down. Are you going to post those numbers anywhere so we can cheer you on? :-D

Welcome to THE SQUAD! (yeah, I had to put it in all caps and bold, all dramatic and such). Good job on the goals you have picked. I helped my wife quit smoking when she became pregnant with our first child, if you ever want some input on what we did, let me know. I don't want to just throw stuff out there when it might not be helpful in the first place. Will be watching your progress squad mate, looking forward to seeing you WOOT about nailing those goals!

@Tom: Thanks! I'd greatly appreciate any pointers you have, as long as it isn't "don't smoke--duh" haha.

@darkstar: 'course I'm posting my numbers! I'll be posting them on here; I'll post each day's data on the following day. I'm going to do that so that I don't post "I had x amount of cigs" and then go out late at night and chain smoke 3. That's my worst time for doing stupid stuff like that, so to hold myself fully accountable, I post the following day. =)

Monday, October 24th

Pushups: 1/2/1/5 (The first 3 sets were real pushups with a 30 sec rest in between [the second set was pretty awful--shallow and wobbly, though, so I don't know if it's supposed to count], the rest time between 3rd and 4th set was a minute, and the last set was inclined pushups [not using full body weight], as I couldn't do a single real pushup at that point.)

Inverted Rows: 2/2/2/2 (These were all getting myself in position and then working on lowering my descent, because I cannot yet do an inverted row. A minute's rest in between these sets, and I was barely slowing my descent on the last two sets, but my muscles were definitely straining!)

Cigarettes: 15 (This is a fairly average number per day for me currently. Working on lowering that count, now that I've got the benchmark recorded.)

Thanks for the support, guys!

Edited by KristiEllKay

Outstanding! It sounds like you are really working yourself hard on those pushups and inverted rows. Recommendation: with the pushups be sure, when you can do more without wobbling, to get the form right. It may hinder your progress with respect to raw numbers but you'll feel way more badass when you're cranking out 25 back-straight, eyes-forward pushups. I think back to high school when I could do more than I can now, but then I realize that my form back then was less than desirable. Focusing on proper form really works your core more, as I find myself tightening my abs and focusing more on form as I get fatigued instead of half-assing it.

But first things first, and it sounds like you're going about it the right way. I say don't worry about the wobble for now; as you get stronger you'll conquer that.

Do you have a numbers strategy for getting off the cigarettes, like dropping one in your daily total every other day?

@ livinggroovy Thanks! Yeah, I wanted to record the benchmark, and then have a solid plan by then. Which leads into...

@Tin Man Yeah, my plan is to knock one off the total every day. Because I had 13 yesterday, I'll be having 12 today, and going from there. The way that this should work out is for my first Zero-smokes day to be a monday, which is what I wanted; I can't quit while I'm sitting at home and my bf is hogging the ps3. At work I can stay busy and just ADD my way through it. I've found it's a ton easier to resist when you're not just sitting there thinking angrily about how much you want a cigarette. This should give me a solid month of not smoking by the end of this challenge. Also, thanks for the tips about pushup form. I'd much rather be able to crank out 15 perfect pushups than 25 shoddy pushups, so that's a great plan; I'll be focusing on form as much as I can.

Tuesday, October 25th

Lunges: 5/5/4/4 with a 30 sec rest in between each set. It's depressing to remember being able to crank stuff out so easily and then realize that was almost 10 years ago...

Squats: 5/3/2/4 with 30 sec rest in between each set. I'm a little uncertain about this, though. I'm trying like hell to get the form right, and I don't have a mirror or a workout buddy to watch my form, so I'm trying to do it by feel. I keep finding myself lifting my heels off the ground. Also, everyone says that these work your glutes and hams awesomely, but I only felt in my quads. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, and it worries me, since I'm trying to get the form down, here...*EDIT: 'kay, nevermind about not feeling it in my glutes and hamstrings, cause ow ow ow ow my butt!*

Cigarettes: 13. The plan for today is to smoke 12; will update tomorrow about today's smokes and workout.

*Edit: Forgot to add that I went to both of my classes yesterday, and got a 100 on one test and a 91 on another. Will be doing my homework for both tonight, which I'm lumping into my goal of going to class; it's something else I should do but haven't been. Woot :D *

Edited by KristiEllKay

Kristi, awesome workout today! Are you planning to alternate arms and legs throughout the week?

Nice one on the cigarettes! Just curious: you're taking down your daily cigarette count FAST... what's your plan for keeping it low once it's there?

Nice! Great job Kristi! since you are cutting one down per day, ever thought of just bringing that amount with you so you don't have that extra temptation of just reaching into the pack? Keep it up working on your squats! I don't have a mirror, but what I do have is an old 27" TV in my living room that gives off an very great reflection since I am working out in my living room. thats helped me. Also, steve's article on squats is on that I keep re-reading to refresh my mind on form. keep it up girl!

@darkstar: Yeah, I was planning on alternating Upper and Lower body. I was figuring M/W/F for upper body since I'm at work for all of those days, and I'm relying on a desk I have at work for the inverted rows, and then T/H/Sat for the lower body, because I can do all of that at either work or home. Sundays were going to be a rest day for me. What do you think about it? I really have no idea what I'm doing here...

As for the cigarette count, I really don't know...I didn't have any more of an exact plan than what I'd already listed: minus one per day, until I'm at zero and to just stay super-busy when I'm craving. I have a buttload of homework I can get caught up on, and I actually enjoy doing it and losing myself in it. I'm also knitting a couple of things and we rebought MW2 for the ps3 so I can have a game to play and occupy my mind. Do you have any suggestions?? I'd really appreciate any tips.

@Tom: I love that idea! I'm going to keep this pack and just refill it every morning with the appropriate number of cigarettes first thing. I can leave the other pack at home while I'm not there, and make my bf be in charge of it when I am at home on the weekends, so I can't steal extras out of it. Great idea, thank you!! And last night I was trying to use my shadow lol. It didn't work very well, but I think I'll try it in front of the tv tomorrow night!

I appreciate all the help, guys!

The fitness plan sounds solid!

I don't know anything about quitting smoking so I'll defer to Tom and others. My only idea would be take it slow and make sure that your improvement is steady and sustainable (maybe decrease by 1 cigarette every week instead of every day)? This might also ease your body into it and minimize the impact on other parts of your life. (Does anyone else agree or disagree with this?) But at the end of the day, you obviously know yourself much better than I know you, so you shouldn't just listen to me. If you can cut down to 0 within 2 weeks and keep it at 0 permanently, then I have mad props for you!

1) To be able to do 25 pushups. I am currently able to do one. Seriously. One. And it's all wobbly.

I feel ya... I'm starting out at 2 (second one being questionable), trying to get up to 15. Here's to banishing the push-up monster for good! After that we can start work on kicking pull-up's ass!

My first two sets today, I did 2 Real Pushups each!! This isn't me logging my #s or anything, but I just wanted to woot a teeny little bit. They were perfect, not wobbly or shallow or with my butt way up or anything. I worked on the form and breathing in particular, and I did two perfect pushups. Yay me! :D