• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hammlin

Ranger Wrap Up Thread- Challenge Ends Dec 21!

Rangers! This is the end of challenge thread where you post your results. Let us know how you did on your goals and copypaste the summary in here with a link to your thread. If we can keep this thread mostly to wrap-ups and keep the discussion in the chatter thread that would be awesome. It seems like most of us had a hard time this challenge, but we all pulled through!

Helpful Links!!!
Here is the reporting thread from the previous challenge if you would like to see examples.

Grading Yourself and Awarding Attribute Points

At the end of the challenge, give yourself a grade on how you did achieving your goals. Then, based on how you did, award points. Partial points are allowed.

A - 100% B - 75% C - 50% D - 25% F - 0%

Here is a link for a chart to help with the math.

Remember to talk about your successes!!! This is how we grow, learn, and have the power to move forward!

1. Holistic/Mindfulness - this one got rocky for a few weeks before and during finals, but I think I did a better job then previous semesters, and I feel pretty good now. So....win.  (2/3)

2. Nutrition-  I'm still struggling with water intake; my protein did go up and my lifts got much better but I'm still struggling with eating sweets.  I recently figured out that I was taking in somewhere between 400-800 calories a day on sweets alone.  If I could cut that out alone, I would loose a pound and a half a week.  I'm going to have to do some reflection on this one.  (1/3)

3. Exercise- My November was awesome. I didn't hit three times a week every week, but I definitely built strength. I didn't make it to 100lbs for overhead press, I stalled out at 70 lbs. However I PRed at 100 lbs for bench press and squat, and hit 150 PR for RDLs.  I didn't run stairs particularly often, but did get back up to my old average by the end of the semester. The December bodyweight is going pretty well, I meant to workout every day, but am averaging three times a week, with stuff that basically wipes me out after.  It wasn't all perfect, but I'm very pleased with my progress and results so far, so full points.  (4/4)

I say B+

Here the link to my challenge wrap up.

SUMMARY

If I had to sum up this challenge, I would class it as "Could do better". I didn't do terribly, but there were times when my laziness won out over my motivation. At no point during this challenge did I feel like quitting, which is how I normally feel when I start to slide on goals so that's growth I suppose!

Link to my challenge in Sig.

Strength Workouts 13/15 completed and joined a new Crossfit Gym ; also revamped my Sig to track PR's of various exercises.

Aerobic Workouts 7/10 completed; Ran my fastest 5k, ran my farthest (5.6 miles) and getting ready for my first 10k by the end of the year (Woot) [C]

Kept track of my finances and am staying mindful of what I am spending money on [A]

Cleaned a majority of the house, but still not completely there

Overall I would say this past 6 weeks went pretty well at a B level.  I had my best friend/former college roommate get married [serving as his Best Man]; restarted [really just started as I never really recorded] my PR log; PR'ed my 5k time, and PR'ed my overall distance run.

I am feeling like I have moved right back into my groove again; I haven't changed my diet [paleo-ish but I indulge myself from time to time], I have started working out at the gym, and my body is looking more athletic.  I find myself in front of my mirror after I shower and I love what I see and where I am going.  This level has been great and I am hungry again to reach for the next level!

Full wrap-up here.

In some ways this challenge was a little boring, but I think it served its purpose. I got a little rest from running and have been slowly building back into it. The last 3 weeks, I’ve been really happy with my long-ish runs, so I think it has worked.

Highlights: I did a great session with a personal trainer and learned some new skills. My friends on the forum provided lots of encouragement - not sure if I would have gotten around to the training session otherwise. I tried something new, venturing out with a social ski club. I think I’ve maintained fitness while dialing down the running. I’ve pretty substantially improved my diet. Overall 4 A’s and B.

Full Wrap Up

Summary: I didn't quite accomplish the goal that I'd set out for, but I did accomplish quite a few things that I'd been struggling with as well. I learned a good deal along the way, so I'm pleased with the progress and other successes that I've achieved during this challenge.

Can't wait for the next one. :)

I feel like I've done pretty well, overall! Here's a summary of the recap on my challenge thread:

Get flexible: Yoga 5x/wk. I made 22 of the 25 yoga sessions I should have and saw a huge improvement in my flexibility. (+2 DEX, +2WIS of the 5 pts possible)

Get moving: Run >5mi/wk. I made a couple of weeks actually running, but the last few involved treadmills and ellipticals. I did move, but not exactly in the way I'd hoped, so I'm knocking a point off for that. (+4 STA of 5 possible)

Be aware: keep a daily record of what I eat on myfitnesspal. Complete success! (+5 CON)

In addition, I hit my bonus goal of lifting 100kg. Woot! And, I got on the scale a few days ago. I'm down 5lbs and approaching my healthy zone. (+1 STR)

I had a great time this challenge, looking forward to the next one!

• Like 1

This challenge was a rough one. I won't be leveling up, not because of overall results, but because I was so inconsistent with the habit building.

That's not a bad thing. I did make progress, just not in all the areas or to the degree I hoped. And it was pretty instructive for my future efforts. I knew going into the challenge that things would be stretched to near the breaking point; the good news is that I managed to --s_t_r_e_t_c_h-- and not break.

Summary

• I did really well on increasing my sleep and am now averaging between 7 - 8 hours per night, with no nights with less than 6:30. That's a win.
  • Still soda free after 36 weeks. Another win.
  • My big stumbles were diet and workouts - about 60% of plans on both of those. Though I did hit a few PRs, my overall effort was very hit or miss. Have about two to three pounds that have returned and will need be taken off again. The realization that I was not going to make my 40 week goals kind of threw me, but I am readjusting my plans and goals accordingly. I may be going slower than I planned, but I am still determined to get there...
  • My forum participation was minimal, as I kind of expected. Just now getting back into second gear there. Hopeful that I will be able to find a happy medium next challenge.
  • Made some major strides on the work front. Have a new desk space at the local business incubator for my tech startup and have adapted to a radically different work schedule and environment. Am consistently moving my programming skills forward. Plus, have a new partner in crime in the music performance biz and we even managed to get a holiday performance together inside of three weeks.

2014's just about a wrap. Even though this challenge was tough, I hung in there and am really proud and happy about how the year as a whole went. I'm looking forward to the next challenge!

To Recap my Mission:

My mission is to be the best Jedi I can be. My main quest is always to enhance my overall health, fitness, and knowledge to be prepared for whatever challenges life could throw at me. As a Jedi, I need to be able to help people, whether that is a life threatening situation or just a charitable one. There is no boss level in Jedi training, there is only tomorrow.

My main quest with attribute points and grades is below:

• FITNESS: Build STA +2 and DEX +2 by Running, Sprinting, Hiking, Biking, Rowing, Rollerblading, or Training (HIIT or Sports) for 20 minutes or more, three times a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday is my new schedule with Wednesday being a light day). A

I didn't make it to the gym at lunch time, but I kept to the schedule and produced a lot of sweaty workout clothes.

• FITNESS: Build STR +2 and DEX +1 by completing 500 minutes of Sports Training* and meeting at least 95 % of my fitness side quest goals. A

Another 100%!

• DIET: Build CON +2 by eating "Healthy Meals"** 30 times or more, eating "Unhealthy Food"*** 22 times or less and count their calories, drinking 250 fl oz of Dr Pepper or less, taking care of my skin and lips by applying moisturizer 80 times or more (twice daily), brushing (twice daily) and flossing (once daily) 120 times or more. A

I discovered that a simple salad with the right ingredients is better than a complicated one to keep me interested, because I lose interest in making the complicated salad. Lettuce, olive oil, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese is all I need.

• LIFE: Build WIS +3 and CHA +3 by completing two Toastmaster Speeches, participating in Table Topics thrice and Meeting Roles four times, and by completing all the lessons for my Acquistion 101 course. A

The first two lessons on my HPL done, finished a CL manual, finished a CC manual. Toastmasters is cruisin'.

Jedi Training will be a big focus next challenge. The courses are composed of one week lessons where I will do 4 lessons in the next challenge to get close to finishing the course.

To improve my project management and proposal skills, which are vital to rising higher in the ranks of my contracting company, I decided to take some online courses. Acquistion 101 is a prereq for just about every course at the University so I started there. The next course is online with a followup classroom course, which isn't offered until the end of April. I can put it on hold until February.

Grading System:

Weight Training-  25 per day. Goal for the week: 100 = A Strength-3

Cardio- 25 per session. Goal for the week: 100 = A Stamina-3

Nutrition- 14.2 per day. Goal for the week: 100 = A Constitution-3

Fat Loss- A  Dexterity-3

Wisdom-2

Charisma-1

For all 6 weeks I got an A in each section. One of my goals was to work on my mental strength. Committing to my goals and getting to the gym no matter what was going on and sticking to my nutrition has really helped. I feel a lot stronger mentally then when I started.

My main quest was fat loss I started 2 weeks before the actual challenge start date but in the last 8 weeks I have lost 21.6 lbs of fat.

Overall I am really happy with everything I achieved and I enjoyed reaping the rewards of my hard work over the holidays. Level 10 proudly achieved! Full round up here

1. WALK!

My goal was 5 x 10-min walks per week. I achieved grade A so full points. I tended to fit my walks in during my workouts rather than separately so my workouts were consequently shorter. Next time I add in walks I will stipulate the need to do them separate to the workouts.

2. LIFT!

My goal was lifting sessions 3 times per week. I achieved 17 lifting sessions, because I missed one due to injury. So that's a grade B, 75% marks for this one.

I'm pretty happy with what I achieved here, going back to the barbell has been fun and I renewed my love of lifting although it's one part of all the things I love to do so I cannot see myself returning to the warriors guild any time soon.

3. DATABASES!

I smashed this one and got the exam in days before I went on leave for Christmas. Really happy with this one! Grade A, full points. Waiting unti mid-January for the exam result...

4. CHRISTMAS!

We went away to Manchester for Christmas. Everything was planned, paid for and extra things done such as sales shopping and city exploring. The OH really loved Manchester (it was his first visit) and is saying he wants to go back so mission accomplished! We even had snow for Christmas but we coped well! Grade A achieved, full marks awarded.