Curvy Girly's challenge

Low carb and vegetarian? I believe it can be done! If I was vegetarian, I'd be eating loads of salad with lots of carrots, peas, peppers and onion. I'd eat squashes and sweet potato (I guess depending on what you like) and keep whatever vegetable protein I like. Beans would be great for protein and carbs. These are all pretty high carb veggies. I'm certain that eating less grains would help you. I don't think cutting them out completely is exactly the way to go, but it's worked for me, and it's continuing to work. If you've ever been on Mark's Daily Apple, he's got a carbohydrate curve that I started getting serious about, and that's when I started losing weight.

Herbal Magic does have shakes, although I don't drink them. I'm not a shake kinda girl. It's mostly going there every day and following the plan.

second the MDA. It wasnt until I read the PRimal Blueprint and cut out the grainy carbs that I started to lose weight (although admittedly I started on a massive exercise plan at the same time, but now I'm barely exercising at all and am still dropping a little)

thanks guys, u are too awesome! I think i'm going to attempt to go primal. I looked at atkins, and the 20grams of carbs daily isn't realistic for me. however I am going to cut out bread, rice, pasta , crackers , and junk .

i am just wondering what kind of ratios you all follow ( in terms of fat, carbs, protein) percentages. I work better with numbers

haven't posted in a while. have some things working on.

anywho.. trying to limit my carbs now , trying to see if that will help.

breakfast: protein shake with 1 tbsp peanut butter, 2 cups water

snack: 1 cup celery, 1 babybel, 2 cups water, 1 pear

lunch: caesar salad, one vegan veg patty, 2 cups water

snack: 2 cups water

dinner: besan poora, 2 cups water

workout: 2 cups water

totals: 12 cups water, 8 veg/fruit servings, 3 protein servings,

workout: i LOVEd my workout today. just loved it. i started very late at 9 pm . that's actually funny bc before a month ago i usually did it that late, but now i try to do it by 8 pm.

so this is how it was

2 minutes jogging

20 bicep curls with 10 lbs weight per arm

2 mins jogging

20 tricep extensions w/ 10 lb weight per arm

2 mins jog

20 knee pushups

2 mins jog

20 ( holding 5 lb dumbbells in each hand raise arms to sid)

2 mins jog

20 (holding 5 lb dumbbells in each hand raise arms forward shoulder length)

repeat circuit 3 times = 30 minutes circuit + 30 minutes jogging

i was drenched in sweat from early on, pushed myself to run 3.5+ jogging a majority of the time.

this whole low carb thing confuses me. i don't know how low is good enough . atkins says 20 carbs for the first induction phase. that is impossible .

the only bold carb i had today was a pear, but i'm still at 81 carbs for the day- YIKES. but it's sitll better than nothing

however, i just find it frustrating to avoid fruits, just when I was starting to like them too.

the other thing is, today my ratio was 30% carbs, 35% protein 35% fat

is this okay for trying low carb? the whole idea of amping up fat , freaks me out.

and also i find it hilarious when people suggest vegetables i can eat on low carbs. I understand i have options. but they aren't very yummy. A vegetarians equivalent to meat is pasta, or a sandwich. NOT veggies. so while you meat eater low carbers can stuff up on your "lean chicken and fish" i get cucumbers, hurray > :( nope.

i am rebelling by eating a veggie patty, which i know has carbs in it, but whatever. I'm not really planning to follow atkins per se, just lower my carbs. but again the whole idea of havin my fat intake go up, worries me.

anyfeed back , is awesome:)

sorry for the long post.

You are definitely motivated to lose weight and be healthier, but I think it's time to assess what exactly you want your goals to be.

Your diet is all over the place. One consistent thing about your challenge logs are days where you indicate you had a "bad food day", eating junk, eating too much, and so on.

Further restricting your diet to no/low carbs is just going to make you miserable. You're already very restrictive with your vegetarian diet, and since you can't change that, you need to rein in all of the bad choices.

Switching to low carb/no carb/atkins helps people lose weight because carbs are very calorie dense. They are a significant source of calories for people, but aren't particularly filling. So someone switching to atkins may increase their protein while cutting out bread, and see a net loss of calories of well over 1000. A few dinner rolls can equal 800 calories, while an 8oz steak may be 500 (obviously not drowning in butter and fat). The rolls won't fill you up, but your body will be satisfied on that much protein for a long time. Over the course of a day, you can easily reach a good-sized calorie deficit. Since you can't get protein easily, this will be even more frustrating for you.

If it is really important to you to lose weight, you have to start setting aside the excuses. Diet is 90% of weight loss - it takes 2 seconds to eat a 200-calorie donut, but 30+ minutes to burn it off...skipping which of those will have the biggest impact on your day? You need to somply make it not an option to undo all of your week's progress by givign in because you're tired or stressed.

You are also still locked into the low-weight, high rep mindset that is wasting your time. Changing your workout will be hard. You will be sore and outside of your comfort zone. But it's worth it, and you will start seeing results.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

You know what, this is totally the kick in the butt i needed. i do make excuses, and i do screw up here and there. and i know we are all human, but i have to be a bit tougher. Usually, i go all or nothing, and that's just within a week. some days i am really good, and some days i mess up bad. i need to be def be more kickass with this.

oh by the way in terms of the low weights, high reps thing... I recently reassessed my weights. and sadly, and pathetically enough, I was not doing the 15 lb bicep curls accurately. I was swinging a tiny bit. I asked a friend who is also a personal trainer, and we realized that 10 lbs is all I can really do for bicep curls at the moment. They challenge me and after my 12th rep, it burns. So they might seem like low weights, but at this point, that's all I can muster .

You are definitely motivated to lose weight and be healthier, but I think it's time to assess what exactly you want your goals to be.

Your diet is all over the place. One consistent thing about your challenge logs are days where you indicate you had a "bad food day", eating junk, eating too much, and so on.

Further restricting your diet to no/low carbs is just going to make you miserable. You're already very restrictive with your vegetarian diet, and since you can't change that, you need to rein in all of the bad choices.

Switching to low carb/no carb/atkins helps people lose weight because carbs are very calorie dense. They are a significant source of calories for people, but aren't particularly filling. So someone switching to atkins may increase their protein while cutting out bread, and see a net loss of calories of well over 1000. A few dinner rolls can equal 800 calories, while an 8oz steak may be 500 (obviously not drowning in butter and fat). The rolls won't fill you up, but your body will be satisfied on that much protein for a long time. Over the course of a day, you can easily reach a good-sized calorie deficit. Since you can't get protein easily, this will be even more frustrating for you.

If it is really important to you to lose weight, you have to start setting aside the excuses. Diet is 90% of weight loss - it takes 2 seconds to eat a 200-calorie donut, but 30+ minutes to burn it off...skipping which of those will have the biggest impact on your day? You need to somply make it not an option to undo all of your week's progress by givign in because you're tired or stressed.

You are also still locked into the low-weight, high rep mindset that is wasting your time. Changing your workout will be hard. You will be sore and outside of your comfort zone. But it's worth it, and you will start seeing results.

i just dont believe you need to go all atkins at all. If you can get a copy of the primal blueprint it is a good easy read. However really all the information is in his blog, read through Primal Blueprint 101 on Marks Daily apple.

If you stick to under 100g of carbs per day, you should lose weight. When you muck things up from what I can see, you do it by eating junk and that junk is usually made up of sugar. If you havent already, watch the movie "Fathead" - that is quite interesting. It's not fat that will make you fat, it really is sugar and excess carbohydrate. The other thing too is your sleeping habits, if you are not sleeping well or getting enough then that could slow down your weight loss. And then add in to the mix stress. Your parents stress you out about not losing weight, well I'm sorry but I say F them, it is your body. Let it happen in time, do you have to drop 20lbs in a month to be a success. No.

The other thing you should keep in mind is that you've been exercising like crazy. You've built muscle as well and I say to that, good on you girl. You're a legend in this department and I wish I had even a quarter of your motivation.

I dont even contemplate ratios or count calories or anything. I just couldnt be bothered. And at first I found the eating fat thing a bit odd because I do have more than I ever used to but I wouldnt say I eat huge amounts of fat. Really I get my fat by using a lot more butter to cook in or using coconut milk/cream in cooking (or even in a protein shake - yum yum yum)

I don't know my ratios either, but every meal I eat includes good protein, lots of veggies, and good fats. I cook everything in olive oil, coconut oil, or butter. I don't have excessive fat intake, but I do use a lot of fat (compared to a conventional wisdom approach). The fat is very filling, and provides the energy you need once you are used to running off fat for fuel, not carbs for fuel. Unfortunately, when you make the transition to lower carb, you probably will feel crappy for a couple of days to a week while your body adjusts. They refer to it as the "low carb flu". Once I got past this, my hunger levels went way down. My portions are way smaller, and I almost never need snacks to get me through the day. I don't know the specifics for being a primal vegetarian, but the people on Mark's Daily Apple forum are really helpful, and would probably be able to steer you in the right direction (although they may recommend that you eat bacon -- there seems to be a bit of an obsession with bacon there). I have been experiencing steady weight loss of a pound or two each week since I went primal, but as they say, your results may vary.

Do check out the Primal Blueprint 101 at: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

There is a crapload of useful information that will help you.

thank u guys!! i'm def checking out marks daily apple as well as going primal. i'm really happy and relieved i don't have to bend to atkins for this. I am just going to cut out unnecessary carbs and go from there. thank u guys for the motivation and concern, u guys are all awesome on this stuff

wooooohooo i have successfully................ decreased my appetite. i'm soo thrilled. i never eat alot at once, however, i do munch throughout the day. this was mainly in an attempt to raise my metab, but i realize i just seem to think...

"hmmm i need to eat in another 2 hours so my metab is up... what do i eat? how many cals is that, let me see if i have enough cals... ?"

so today this is what i ate. and i am full, on my calories, and it was HEALTHY

breakfast: protein shake with 1 tbsp peanut butter <-- I heart this stuff. It is yummy, filling, and i am excited to have this. I don't feel like this is a substitute but something I look forward to. I also am no longer tired in the mornings, and I have more energy after this. after i drink this, i'm not hungry. the old me would have usually nothing, but even recently when I was trying to eat healthier and have oatmeal for breakfast I was still hungry, this fills me up.

snack: half orange, 2 cups water,

lunch: caesar salad, one vegan veggie patty with 2 tsp shredded cheese on top, 3 tsp chick peas on salad, 2 cups crystal light, 2 cups water

snack: half orange,

dinner: besan poora, 2 cups crystal light

it is now 1030 pm. I have about 291 calories left over. i know i shouldn't have any left over. but i'm trying to pay attention to my stomach and eat when needed. i'm not full right now, but not hungry either. if before i sleep i get hungry i will have some fruit or half a protein shake or something.

had 35% fat, 33% protein, 31% carbs. the ratios make me laugh at how close they are . i really didn't even plan this.

today i ate what i wanted and tried to be smart. didn't track til now. Usually I track before the food goes in my mouth.

i didn't work out today, i'm in exam crunch mode, and i think i might cut down on my workouts, maybe limit to 5 a week or something.

thank u again to everyone's help. most appreciated :)

100% agree with Suse and CapN. I also don't use ratios, it's too much math for me. I just count carbs if anything at all.

The 20g carb Atkins thing you're talking about is the induction phase. It's only meant to last for 2 weeks while your body adjusts and to get the carbs out of your system. It's not a permanent thing at all, but I still think it's not necessary. Primal and Paleo (basically the same) are great ways to eat and they WORK! You'll find your carb "sweet spot" will make a big difference and I'll say it again, it's working for me. :D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines