11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We actually have a lot of gluten-free noodles and other items in the house because of one of Mrs. sloth's friends who eats over a lot. I've been avoiding them.  This is just until th end of the month and I can go back to a more normal diet. I'm sorry your body rebels at wheat. This has been a hard way to live.

I'm a simple man; I had to look up Bolognese. I'll try the cabbage, but I think I'll have a go at sphagetti squash noodles next. 

The whiney part of me complains about no -wheat. But truth is it's not that hard, the benefits so outweigh the negatives. I'm not constantly sick, I don't have constant joint and back pain, and I hardly ever have stomach problems. I just feel so much better, that most of the time I don't mind.

I like spaghetti squash better than zoodles.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Definitely go do the snowshoe race, that sounds so different!  And a cool new race t-shirt is always good.  My old flatmate & I once picked out an entire race season purely based on which ones were offering the best t-shirts & souvenirs...

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

The whiney part of me complains about no -wheat. But truth is it's not that hard, the benefits so outweigh the negatives. I'm not constantly sick, I don't have constant joint and back pain, and I hardly ever have stomach problems. I just feel so much better, that most of the time I don't mind.

The same with me w.r.t. no wheat. It took hubby a while to adjust to not eating pasta, and he doesn't like the wheat free ones, so I don't buy it. I want to see whether I can get some spaghetti squash seeds from Livingseeds, then I'll try to plant and grow some.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On January 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Marauder said:

I feel your pain.  The Mr. Marauder was watching some crap with freaking disco stage lights last night.  I could see it flashing through my eyelids.  You are much kinder than me, however.  I told him he could go sit in the living room or turn it off.  Possibly not that nicely.

It's not kindness, it's insomnia. Once I'm in the zone of sleepertunity I can't get riled up or I'm awake for hours. 

On January 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM, shaar said:

I fermented my own kombucha at home for about a year.  The money you'll save is seriously amazing.  My biggest costs were whatever fruit I wanted to flavor each batch like.  And starting up costs which are still fairly low; you'll need a starter SCOBY, some sizeable wide-mouth jars for fermenting, bottles for bottling (I actually re-used old Synergy bottles, ha!) sugar, and a basic cheapy black tea.  Easycakes.  It literally will start paying for itself.

I was looking at a continuous flow set-up.  A lot more up front cost, but a lot more ease down the road.  We'll have to see if I keep the habit.  The sour taste has grown on me. 

Kombucha8b.jpg

On January 11, 2017 at 2:17 PM, jstanlick said:

And if you don't like zucchini? :P Seriously though, zucchini doesn't have much flavor and is mostly water. Not high on the satisfying scale IMO.

Alright, now we're talking! Cabbage actually has a flavor to it.

On January 11, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Sylvaa said:

I don't know if we can be friends anymore.... Do you have an issue with cucumber too?

At least we still have cabbage to agree on.

For a long time zucchini was about the only vegetable I ate, fried with garlic, pepper, etc.

On January 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Marauder said:

9592906ebfb0a498b1baa34c1d6309ff.jpg

italian-chef.jpg

On January 11, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Elastigirl said:

Nice improvement. I actually haven't seen any difference going gluten-free yet. Hopefully it's given my gut the opportunity to recolonize itself with good bacteria. 

On January 11, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Big_Show said:

Definitely go do the snowshoe race, that sounds so different!  And a cool new race t-shirt is always good.  My old flatmate & I once picked out an entire race season purely based on which ones were offering the best t-shirts & souvenirs...

Doing the race depends on the weather. If it gets melty and refreezes the race won't be any fun. 

I totally get that. For a while my entire wardrobe was race T shirts. 

On January 12, 2017 at 1:56 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

The same with me w.r.t. no wheat. It took hubby a while to adjust to not eating pasta, and he doesn't like the wheat free ones, so I don't buy it. I want to see whether I can get some spaghetti squash seeds from Livingseeds, then I'll try to plant and grow some.

You our seem to have a green thumb, it should be easy for you. 

On January 12, 2017 at 7:17 AM, The Most Loathed said:

It's probably not the same as real noodles but Laura and I got some frozen chikpean noodles at the grocery store that were really solid. We got them again just because we liked them.

Nice, I'll look for them 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I've lost track of when I posted last. Since then I've had good days, but I've been an insomniac mess.

Training: Yoga, nothing strenuous. 

Eating: still eating on the plan. It's getting easier, but I really want a chocolate chip cookie right now.  That's the insomnia talking. 

7i6sg.jpg

This may be relevant. 

• Like 7

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sorry about the insomnia. If it makes you feel better, (to add some company to your misery, that is), my husband decided to bake chocolate chip cookies last night. Craving is bad enough, but having to smell them too? Urghhhhh...

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

10 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Sorry about the insomnia. If it makes you feel better, (to add some company to your misery, that is), my husband decided to bake chocolate chip cookies last night. Craving is bad enough, but having to smell them too? Urghhhhh...

Yeah, I would have quit the Whole 30 right then if I were you.  You're obviously stronger than me. 

1/14/17 Saturday

It was a good day.  I got some sleep.  Mrs. Sloth made sure the house and dogs were quiet after I went to bed. Bumblebee, the foster dog, was spayed today. Running her back and forth and taking care of her took a good chunk of the day. She perked up really quickly when I went to get her at the vet's; it's funny how quickly dogs accept you as their human. I was gonna say don't these dogs have any loyalty to their former humans, but most of them spent their whole lives stuck in a cage and didn't really have their own human. 

I stopped in at the Lego robotics competition to cheer on my students. They were doing terribly, I believe they were in last place when I got there and one of them was being chastised by a judge for poor sportsmanship.

It's been two weeks since I've had a sweet, a fried thing, or gluten (except the two beers last weekend).  That and all the probiotics and fermented foods Seems to be helping, but not any more than just cutting out sweets and fried foods. I'll be glad when this month is out. 

Training: 37 minutes Yoga and 40 minutes biking on the trainer while watching Mad Max again. 

Eating: Still good.  Although I just ate 3 apples and about a cup of peanut butter while slowly tapping this out. That much peanut butter can't be good for a person. 

1adamlevine.png

Take away the tattoos and artfully disheveled hair and this is me now. 

• Like 13

On 2017/01/13 at 10:39 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

You our seem to have a green thumb, it should be easy for you.

If the dogs don't dig it out.

I was gonna say don't these dogs have any loyalty to their former humans, but most of them spent their whole lives stuck in a cage and didn't really have their own human.

Its sad how much love and companionship some dogs crave and have to give, but all they get are ignorant humans. Sore topic, so I'm going to climb off the wagon. *sigh*

I stopped in at the Lego robotics competition to cheer on my students. They were doing terribly, I believe they were in last place when I got there and one of them was being chastised by a judge for poor sportsmanship.

You can lead the horse to water, you cannot make him drink, or perform, or act with manners even if he/she was taught well. Good sportsmanship is something I struggle with, with Youngest as well.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 1/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, Fonzico said:

I generally just eat a bowl of Bolognese on its own.

I, too, have done this. 

On 1/11/2017 at 10:50 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have been going through the McDonald's drive through on the way home.

I had this problem when I was doing big miles for my Savannah ride last summer. I'd come off the trail ready to eat the car apolster opolster fabric the car chair is made of. Carrying protein shake mix helped, but it's not french fries.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

11 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Some days I feel like my whole role on NF is to scroll through and "like" Tank's posts.

ETA: Scratch that, what I mostly do is scroll through and "like" posts that Tank already "liked".

There is a reason he is the Rebel of the Month. Rightly deserved.

Though you have quite the following also.

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Some days I feel like my whole role on NF is to scroll through and "like" Tank's posts.

ETA: Scratch that, what I mostly do is scroll through and "like" posts that Tank already "liked".

Sometimes you also inspire me to look for new sloth pics :D 

Image result for sloth meme

• Like 8

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1/15/17 Sunday

It was a good day. last year I went to an Arts Sled rally and vowed to return with an X-Wing sled. Yesterday morning I took Slothgirl to an Art Sled workshop and returned with a penguin sled (I was outvoted). The workshop was a guy in a warehouse space with a crap ton of double thick cardboard and some tools. When we got there he pointed out the materials and said, "Have fun". He did check in occasionally with tips and hints. Which is funny because it's often my approach to teaching STEM. We still need to paint our sled.

Slothgirl and I went out afterwards to a late lunch at the Liberal Bubble Cafe where I knew they'd be able to accommodate my special snowflake diet. It was nice.

We spent the afternoon at a backyard skating party. The missus and I were about the only folks there not employed in the local arts scene. It was fun, but I got grumpy because I couldn't eat anything. skating is another of the crucial Minnesota skills I somehow never picked up, but I did enjoy hanging out at the bonfire.

Training: none, busy day.

Eating: on point.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It was a good day. last year I went to an Arts Sled rally and vowed to return with an X-Wing sled. Yesterday morning I took Slothgirl to an Art Sled workshop and returned with a penguin sled (I was outvoted).

You call me wise, who display such great wisdom?

As Faramir once said, the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On January 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM, peelout said:

Thats me to.  I also have 2 arms.

muscular-arms_0.jpg?itok=pANBuG8v

These ones, right?

On January 15, 2017 at 9:35 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

If the dogs don't dig it out.

Its sad how much love and companionship some dogs crave and have to give, but all they get are ignorant humans. Sore topic, so I'm going to climb off the wagon. *sigh*

You can lead the horse to water, you cannot make him drink, or perform, or act with manners even if he/she was taught well. Good sportsmanship is something I struggle with, with Youngest as well.

There are a lot of kids like that too. Mrs. Sloth signed us up for the next dog.  Another one rescued from a southern Puppy mill.  I thought she'd want a break since Bumblebee drove her to distraction with all the counter-jumping butter eating. 

I accidently made the STEM teacher cry today. She feels really badly about their poor performance. 

On January 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I, too, have done this. 

I had this problem when I was doing big miles for my Savannah ride last summer. I'd come off the trail ready to eat the car apolster opolster fabric the car chair is made of. Carrying protein shake mix helped, but it's not french fries.

Car chair :)

My trailheads almost all have a Chipotle or a Subway near them. Those are my post-ride go-tos.  I can't normally tolerate fries right afterwards. Eating big is one of the best things about riding big. 

On January 15, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Bearlee said:

There is a reason he is the Rebel of the Month. Rightly deserved.

Though you have quite the following also.

Following?  They're the only people I tell my stuff to.  Must be friends. 

The amazing thing is how does he get every where first?  It's like he has an NF chip implanted in his head for instant updates. 

brain-implant-hippocampus-usc-640x424.jp

On January 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sometimes you also inspire me to look for new sloth pics :D 

Image result for sloth meme

Always a good use of time.

The funny thing about that is right before I saw it FB reminded me how much I used to enjoy log-rolling and I was trying to see if I could fit a class in (nope).

16 hours ago, Marauder said:

I remember the talk of the X wing sled. Penguins are not the same. You have my sympathy. ;) 

It's all good.  Slothgirl is very convincing sometimes. 

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You call me wise, who display such great wisdom?

As Faramir once said, the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

I'm not sure if it was wise, but Slothgirl enjoyed the Heck out of the process. 

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Now that you mentioned the sleds again I remembered you mentioning that dream of a sled you wanted to make. Penguins are good... Maybe not X-wing, but they know how to handle snow :P

Great going on the eating.

Thanks.  My plan B was a sand crawler.  That would have gotten stuck in the snow for sure. 

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I must know the secret of your Liberal Bubble Cafe? Where is it? Not that I don't already got to every fancy, tree hugging, gluten free, non-GMO, organic place I know of.

I would defer to your knowledge of the tree-hugger restaurants; they tend not to be that kid-friendly so we don't go much. You know the place, I was talking about The Birchwood.  Besides being gluten-friendly, they were close to the sled workshop.

I'm toying with the idea of joining their cycling team. I don't know if I'll do enough sanctioned races to make it worth my while to get to know a new group of people though. Tacocat is starting a team, that seems ideal, but they're going to be a bit elite. 

ctyp_7206db_tacocatbikeride.jpg?w=800

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I would defer to your knowledge of the tree-hugger restaurants; they tend not to be that kid-friendly so we don't go much. You know the place, I was talking about The Birchwood.  Besides being gluten-friendly, they were close to the sled workshop.

I'm toying with the idea of joining their cycling team. I don't know if I'll do enough sanctioned races to make it worth my while to get to know a new group of people though. Tacocat is starting a team, that seems ideal, but they're going to be a bit elite. 

I thought it might be them but wondered if I'd learn a new one. 

I know nothing about cycling teams except that Birchwood seems to have an active one with a variety of skill levels so you joining it makes sense to me. I get the impression that the Taco Cat team are a bunch of hardcore cyclists, so yeah, what you said. I assume Angry Catfish has a team but is probably pretty elite. What about Free Wheel or Eric's ? Do they have teams that are at the right level?

I think you joining Birchwood would be like me on a Lifetime fitness lifting team, I'm not going to be the strongest there but I'll probably be in the top 10%. Versus the Grantie Game lifting team (more taco cat) where I'm just not even living the same life as those folks.

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

1/16/17 Monday - Martin Luther King Day

It was a good day, but I was frustrated that I couldn't make time to train. It was a day off for us. We had a couple of contractor appointments which took longer than expected, a guy and his dad came to check out Bumblebee (they seemed nice), and Slothboy had circus class. Mrs. Sloth had some oral surgery so I took the kids out of the house and later ran a couple of errands for her. I never had a big block of time free. I should have taken one of the smaller chunks of time to do a Yoga workout.

Now that I've done it for a while and it seems like I'll keep doing it, I'll tell you about it. I'm doing DDP Yoga. On the off chance you haven't heard of it, it's a power style made up by a former professional wrestler. There's no woo-woo stuff, he has a gruff style, and there's no soothing holding of long poses. It suits me. The kids call it pirate Yoga. All the participants are regular folks and not attractive, lithe Yoga ladies, which may be a down side to the some of us. As with all Yoga, there's no way to win.

2dd9915bf50cac6ca09b3e10ae46a82a.jpg

• Like 10

I thought it might be them but wondered if I'd learn a new one. 

I know nothing about cycling teams except that Birchwood seems to have an active one with a variety of skill levels so you joining it makes sense to me. I get the impression that the Taco Cat team are a bunch of hardcore cyclists, so yeah, what you said. I assume Angry Catfish has a team but is probably pretty elite. What about Free Wheel or Eric's ? Do they have teams that are at the right level?

I think you joining Birchwood would be like me on a Lifetime fitness lifting team, I'm not going to be the strongest there but I'll probably be in the top 10%. Versus the Grantie Game lifting team (more taco cat) where I'm just not even living the same life as those folks.

Good analysis. I think you're exactly correct. I really just want a Tacocat jersey.

Mpls has a bunch small elite teams like Angry Catfish and while they all tend to be friendly, they wouldn't be a good place for a beginner or a duffer like me to get better. Mpls also has a lot of hardcore riders who are great, but don't race except for the occasional unsanctioned race.

What we don't seem to have and could really use is a team that can take on beginners and grow them in the sport like there were back in my day. Erik's would be the ideal sponsor; I don't know why they don't have a team.

The Birchwood team has a lot of folks that ride a lot and a few that race occasionally. What they have going for them is a set of good, regular group rides. Which is what I need to bring my bike fitness up to the next step. When I moved back into the 612 there were 5 folks that raced for them just on my block.

There's also a team that rides out of the greenway center. I don't know them at all, but they look promising online. With the big exception of not having any women on their team. That's always been a litmus test for me. Women cyclists don't put up with a lot of crap so I don't trust a team that can't hold on to them.

Now that I have a real road bike I'll go to some group rides and see who I gel with. Unless I decide to keep avoiding people.

• Like 4