On 2/5/2017 at 5:36 AM, turboseize said:

...explanation of fructose intolerance...

...explanation of gluten intolerance...

I somehow missed this in my first read through and only noticed when I read sloth's reply but well said

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That actually made me LOL. BTW you're always welcome back. 

None of us had played the game before. We followed our usual routine for a new game. We set it up according to the rules and started arguing about how to follow the rules, complained about the "if this then that" rules, until someone shouted, "what would Wil Wheaton do?!?"  This sent us all to our phones to check if Tabletop played the game (invariably no), eventually someone found a suitable YouTube tutorial.  We all poured a new drink and retired to the living room to watch. This allowed us to muddle through the first few rounds until we finally felt comfortable playing. 

Seriously, that's our game night every single time someone brings a new game. 

I always want to plan on it but when I get to the night I just find that I'm more down for spending the time with Laura or working out. That seems to be what happens when my subconscious and my conscious mind disagree. The inevitable outcome is that I drag my feet and wheedle and whine an make everyone miserable. So I haven't come back to avoid doing that to people. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

20 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

0292f90aee34197894f66dab0795e3c2d57caeef

It is all good regardless. I just like knowing the truth if I'm wrong. What I've learned is that Europeans are just a bunch of mutants. 

English is the worst.  I never realized how bad it was until I tried to help my first grader with her reading.  Not a single "rule" is true more than half the time. 

My mother was friends with some of the folks who were instrumental in the American Indian Movement and one them was always going off on how white folks were mutants. He'd cite studies and everything. 

20 hours ago, deftona said:

Maybe, but we're sexy too so who cares.

Eurovision+2014+poland_89b8be_5134961.gi

20 hours ago, turboseize said:

I don't usually watch ESC, but somehow I still can remember the polish milkmaid!
(Slavic women are hot.)

19 hours ago, deftona said:

I bloody love it, I watch it every year!

Ironically, of course.

I am still cool. Don't hate me. 

I have no idea what ESC is, but I would watch the heck out of it and not even ironically. 

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

2/5/17 Sunday

It was a day. I was tired and grumpy. Not much got done. 

Training: nope. 

Eating: mostly on point.  I went to the boy scouts' pancake breakfast. I was worried I wasn't handling the gluten until I googled the ingredients and found out they're full of milk. I should have known that. 

Sad fact  of life :99.55% of baked goods contain milk:angry:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2/6/17 Monday

It was a good day.  Not much to report.  At circus class one the groups was doing this thing on the Cyr wheel that was like a coin spinning down and I kept freaking out 'cause I thought they were about to crash on their face and then they'd pop back up.  It was really cool. 

Training: DDP Yoga + 6X5 inverted rows

Eating: on point

zn9yay.gif

Apparently it's called the perpetual spin. 

• Like 7

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I somehow missed this in my first read through and only noticed when I read sloth's reply but well said

I always want to plan on it but when I get to the night I just find that I'm more down for spending the time with Laura or working out. That seems to be what happens when my subconscious and my conscious mind disagree. The inevitable outcome is that I drag my feet and wheedle and whine an make everyone miserable. So I haven't come back to avoid doing that to people. 

I missed this because it was on the next page (and Def distracted me).  Wheedling and whining totally fits in with our game play. Throw in some making fun of people and drinking a bit too much and you're a perfect fit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have no idea what ESC is, but I would watch the heck out of it and not even ironically. 

It's the Eurovision Song Contest, where all of Europe comes together for one night in May. We put aside our political differences and sing terrible pop songs, then bloc vote for our neighbours, and piss everyone off. It's so camp, it's amazing 

Spoiler

If you can find a stream of it with British commentary it's definitely worth watching. The commentary is by Graham Norton and he's fantastic. Don't tell anyone from the other countries but we just take the piss out of it throughout, it's hilarious.

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Now I have three pages to read on lactose intolerance. I don't know what the problem is with my Youngest, it isn't lactose intolerance according to the Paed. He becomes hyper active if he drinks pasteurised milk. If he drinks, clean, fresh, unpasteurised milk, there is no problem.

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sad fact  of life :99.55% of baked goods contain milk:angry:

No, they don't. A lot of breads (and Brez'n!) do not contain milk, only water. The sweet stuff often has some milk in it, true...

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Why did you just ruin my life?

And even if they did, there is still beer. Which, basically, is liquid bread. "Sechs Bier sind auch eine Mahlzeit" - "six beer are also a meal", as the german saying goes. Also, only 37 beer cover the daily recommended intake of vitamin C! Healthy nutrition can be so easy!
(A bottle of beer usually contains 0.5 liters.)

If @Elastigirl ruined your life, I just fixed it, B)

@sloth, as you are half bavarian, a proper dietary plan for you could look like this: 

breakfast: 3 Weißwurst (pl: Weißwürste), 1 or 2 Butterbrez'n. 0.5L Weißbier.
snack: Leberkässemmel
lunch: Butterbrez'n, Obazda (might be critical regarding lactose), radish. 0.5L Helles
dinner: Hax'n with fried potatoes or potatoe salad and Sauerkraut, beer according to taste (this applies to both type and quantity).

If in doubt, eat and/or drink more!

And here is an instructional video* on proper sports nutrition in a bulking phase by german rapper Kollegah, the patron saint of german gym bros.**

Opening scene:
boy, eating salad: "I've been lifting for five years, and the biceps doesn't grow. What am I doing wrong?
woman in traditional dress: "Heck don't you know that salad let's the biceps shrink?"

Hint: the traditional bavarian diet may be less than ideal for endurance sports like cycling, but is well suited for strength sports such as strongman or even fingerhakeln.

*only accidentally published on april fool's day.
** text reads: "Never train legs. Never".

• Like 4

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

I agree about watching Eurovision. It has to be seen to be believed, usually with alcohol involved

• Like 3

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

On February 7, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Elastigirl said:

misery.jpg

Well then you'll be happy to know bread makes my belly grumpy.  Bread made without milk less so than bread with. I think I'll experiment with a non-bread gluten source and see what happens. 

On February 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, deftona said:

It's the Eurovision Song Contest, where all of Europe comes together for one night in May. We put aside our political differences and sing terrible pop songs, then bloc vote for our neighbours, and piss everyone off. It's so camp, it's amazing 

Reveal hidden contents

If you can find a stream of it with British commentary it's definitely worth watching. The commentary is by Graham Norton and he's fantastic. Don't tell anyone from the other countries but we just take the piss out of it throughout, it's hilarious.

That actually sounds kind of cool. I'll totally forget by May, miss it, and regret it. 

On February 7, 2017 at 0:41 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

Now I have three pages to read on lactose intolerance. I don't know what the problem is with my Youngest, it isn't lactose intolerance according to the Paed. He becomes hyper active if he drinks pasteurised milk. If he drinks, clean, fresh, unpasteurised milk, there is no problem.

Is your milk homogenized?  Is the raw milk organic, but the pasteurized isn't?  That seems weird, but step-sloth's ADHD was set off by certain foods so I believe it. 

On February 7, 2017 at 6:00 PM, turboseize said:

No, they don't. A lot of breads (and Brez'n!) do not contain milk, only water. The sweet stuff often has some milk in it, true...

And even if they did, there is still beer. Which, basically, is liquid bread. "Sechs Bier sind auch eine Mahlzeit" - "six beer are also a meal", as the german saying goes. Also, only 37 beer cover the daily recommended intake of vitamin C! Healthy nutrition can be so easy!
(A bottle of beer usually contains 0.5 liters.)

If @Elastigirl ruined your life, I just fixed it, B)

@sloth, as you are half bavarian, a proper dietary plan for you could look like this: 

breakfast: 3 Weißwurst (pl: Weißwürste), 1 or 2 Butterbrez'n. 0.5L Weißbier.
snack: Leberkässemmel
lunch: Butterbrez'n, Obazda (might be critical regarding lactose), radish. 0.5L Helles
dinner: Hax'n with fried potatoes or potatoe salad and Sauerkraut, beer according to taste (this applies to both type and quantity).

If in doubt, eat and/or drink more!

And here is an instructional video* on proper sports nutrition in a bulking phase by german rapper Kollegah, the patron saint of german gym bros.**

Opening scene:
boy, eating salad: "I've been lifting for five years, and the biceps doesn't grow. What am I doing wrong?
woman in traditional dress: "Heck don't you know that salad let's the biceps shrink?"

Hint: the traditional bavarian diet may be less than ideal for endurance sports like cycling, but is well suited for strength sports such as strongman or even fingerhakeln.

*only accidentally published on april fool's day.
** text reads: "Never train legs. Never".

That menu was beautiful; I had to wipe a tear from my eye. Weissbier is my favorite, but I usually get a Belgium version. 

22 hours ago, Xena said:

So, Sloth, I have some good news for you. Apparently aged cheeses, like cheddars have greatly reduced lactose. Seems like a reasonable experiment to try sometimes.

https://www.cabotcheese.coop/lactose-free-cheese

:) I've read that.  I've tried it, but there's always been too many extraneous variables to tell if I can handle it. I'll experiment again after I know what's going on with bread. 

20 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I agree about watching Eurovision. It has to be seen to be believed, usually with alcohol involved

:)

12 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I love how random your thread gets sometimes and how at times it seems to take on a life of it's own. But what I'm curious about is if any more yoga-ing has been happening at school. Or any kind of exercise for that matter.

Random?!?  My work life has been inundated with meetings and dealing with behavior issues. I haven't done any more Yoga at school, but the strap rows are happening regularly.  Usually just 2 of the 3 scheduled times because of meetings.  The curl bar is anchoring a pulley demonstration.  I should have that free in another week or two. 

• Like 2

2/7/17 Tuesday

It was a good day. There is a substitute teacher in both math and history, so I'm putting in a lot of time and energy into my unofficial behavior dean role. 

Training: DDP Red Hot Core, 4X6 strap rows, 45 minutes on the trainer. 

Eating: on point. Weight seems to have settled at 171. 

2/8/17 Wednesday

It's a good day. The math and history teachers are still out. Another busy day for me.

Mrs. Sloth sent me a Groupon offer for Monster Truck tickets at 60% off, so Slothboy and I are going again this weekend - The one we just went to was the tail end of the 2016 season and this is the front end of the 2017 season, I suspect they'll only come once a winter after this.

Mrs. Sloth said that since we're spending so much money lately (contractor and paying off one of Step-Sloth's student loans) that she'd feel bad if I got her a present :) I ordered a small present anyway, a scarf-type thing made by Afghani refugees that helps fund a girl's school in Afghanistan. That ought to warm her bleeding heart. Although the cynic in me expects that the lion's share of the proceeds goes to the importers. 

I think the contractor is playing a tape of hammering and sawing and taking a nap all day because there is no obvious progress. We don't have a guest room so I've been sleeping on Slothboy's floor. My back likes it, but I really wouldn't mind getting back in my bed. 

Training: DDP Fat Burner, no rows because many meetings. 

Eating: on point so far, I don't expect to fail at dinner. 

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Well then you'll be happy to know bread makes my belly grumpy.  Bread made without milk less so than bread with. I think I'll experiment with a non-bread gluten source and see what happens. 

:lol:Not really, I  don't like my friends to be unhappy. Sad about the bread causing slothbelly. Good side is now you know it does, so you can find substitutes ( should I comment on the fact that gluten free bread has a consistency similar to glue or just let you find that out on your own?)

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Random?!?  My work life has been inundated with meetings and dealing with behavior issues. I haven't done any more Yoga at school, but the strap rows are happening regularly.  Usually just 2 of the 3 scheduled times because of meetings.  The curl bar is anchoring a pulley demonstration.  I should have that free in another week or two. 

Love this statement. You are a true NFer, literally combining exercise and science. Now if only there was a pop culture theme to the experiment would that elevate this to epic proportions. And only 2 out of 3? Well it's a lot better than the 0 out of 3 you were doing before. Plus it seems like you got the cogs turning to think about what you can do and where. I remember the time of stretching out on the lawn during circus class (though you probably get frozen in place lately). Well hopefully things will settle down and you'll get your equipment back soon.

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Is your milk homogenized?  Is the raw milk organic, but the pasteurized isn't?  That seems weird, but step-sloth's ADHD was set off by certain foods so I believe it.

Not sure about homogenised, just know all shop bought milk is pasteurised or ultra pasteurised (and then I want to lock him in a room), and the milk I get is organic, fresh, clean and has a thick layer of cream on top. The farmer says it hasn't gone through anything (except the cow).

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

so I'm putting in a lot of time and energy into my unofficial behavior dean role.

Good luck with this. You are making a difference in their lives, even if it doesn't look or feel like that now.

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I ordered a small present anyway,

Good for you. I know I've also said at times that I don't want a gift because of major expenses, etc. but a part of me still hoped for a little surprise, even if it is a chocolate in a paper bag. An Afghan scarf would be special, I'm sure she'll love it.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think the contractor is playing a tape of hammering and sawing and taking a nap all day because there is no obvious progress.

This is brilliant........ *plots how she could integrate this at work*

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

32 minutes ago, shaar said:

I've heard rumors of people building scripts to randomly "cat" files to their terminals in the tech world to make their screens look busier.  For the non-techies, cat just means to read a file and print it to the screen.  But when a manager sees text just flying by, it could definitely look like you were busy.  

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Rooks said:

I've heard rumors of people building scripts to randomly "cat" files to their terminals in the tech world to make their screens look busier.  For the non-techies, cat just means to read a file and print it to the screen.  But when a manager sees text just flying by, it could definitely look like you were busy.  

*has done this*

mostly it looks cool to me to watch but it sucks RAM so if you actually want to do something you pretty much have to stop it.

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

:lol:Not really, I  don't like my friends to be unhappy. Sad about the bread causing slothbelly. Good side is now you know it does, so you can find substitutes ( should I comment on the fact that gluten free bread has a consistency similar to glue or just let you find that out on your own?)

I'm off bread again and my system is back to normal. If I can't eat real bread I'll probably just avoid it altogether. Although I may make exceptions for going out for burgers. The lettuce bun doesn't appeal to me. 

21 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm glad you got her a present. Sounds nice regardless of where the money actually goes.

Thanks. You always got to worry that a statement like that is a trap. 

15 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Love this statement. You are a true NFer, literally combining exercise and science. Now if only there was a pop culture theme to the experiment would that elevate this to epic proportions. And only 2 out of 3? Well it's a lot better than the 0 out of 3 you were doing before. Plus it seems like you got the cogs turning to think about what you can do and where. I remember the time of stretching out on the lawn during circus class (though you probably get frozen in place lately). Well hopefully things will settle down and you'll get your equipment back soon.

It would have to be a pop culture reference from the 90's, that's when I stopped noticing. Circus has been rearranged, I'd have to go outside to do something there. 

11 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Not sure about homogenised, just know all shop bought milk is pasteurised or ultra pasteurised (and then I want to lock him in a room), and the milk I get is organic, fresh, clean and has a thick layer of cream on top. The farmer says it hasn't gone through anything (except the cow).

Good luck with this. You are making a difference in their lives, even if it doesn't look or feel like that now.

Good for you. I know I've also said at times that I don't want a gift because of major expenses, etc. but a part of me still hoped for a little surprise, even if it is a chocolate in a paper bag. An Afghan scarf would be special, I'm sure she'll love it.

Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, shaar said:

2 hours ago, Rooks said:

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

*has done this*

mostly it looks cool to me to watch but it sucks RAM so if you actually want to do something you pretty much have to stop it.

I tried to think of the teacher version of this, maybe crossword puzzles, then I started feeling guilty. Damn morality. 

• Like 3

I've fallen behind (again) but I'm just here to say hi and tell you I've found my second favorite photo of you.

large.IMG_0345.JPG.857fb2a19ef6b1ff45ffe63aa51341dd.JPG

• Like 5

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

2/9/17 Thursday. 

It was a good day. There were still two six grade teachers out and I had another busy day. That has become tiresome. In the evening we went to the talent show at Mrs. Sloth's school. I was impressed, not just at the acts, but at the school's culture. The Somali, black, and white kids all seemed equally popular with each other.  There were a huge number of teachers there and everyone knew, and seemed to like, the custodian. I was impressed; it had a much different feel than my school. I skipped the soul-food dinner and went to Chipotle because of my special-snowflake diet. 

Training: DDP Red Hot Core

Roman Chair back extensions

Played with the KB for an inconsequential amount. 

50 minutes on the trainer while watching Joe Dirt.  I've been ignoring my New Year's resolution and need a refresher. 

Eating: on point. 

2/10/17 Friday

It was not a good day.  I'm not going to go into any sort of details on a public forum where what I say might get misconstrued, but I did something stupid at school by accident. I'll be going through the discipline process. I'll likely end up with a letter in my file. I feel terrible about it all. Anyway I've been moping. On the bright side all of the teachers are back and I didn't have much to do in my unofficial behavior dean role. I appreciated that. I tried to think about what else I could do for a job, but I can't think of anything.  

Mrs. Sloth got me a dry cider that tastes like a sour beer. :)

The new dog seems to have kennel cough.  She's going in tomorrow to get fixed. Slothgirl is mad because it is our regular dog!s birthday and we aren't doing anything to celebrate because it's just a dog. 

Training: none, if I'm awake after I get the kids to bed I'll ride the bike. I give it 50/50.  

Eating: on point.  I'll likely have a cider. I give it 90/10. 

• Like 7