On 7/13/2017 at 3:07 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Don't know how you guys do cross country drives. I hardly make a 10hr drive to my mil. All the best for the RRR race.

Thanks. The worst part for me is that from coast to coast the whole country is the exact same while you're on the interstate. 

Oops. I deleted your quote @Wild Wolf - next time we meet I'll give you another hug. :) 

On 7/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, Raxie said:

I slept all day Monday after getting back and I flew.... can't imagine how tired you must be! I think a few sleepy recovery type days were definitely needed

You know it's a good vacation when you come back and need a vacation. 

On 7/14/2017 at 6:06 AM, Bearlee said:

Yeah for the Bears. No idea if that is a good time for you or but it's nice you got to complete the stage so better than last race. Are people talking about the Tour de France during the race or are most of the people focusing on their race? I've been watching too many bike videos and actually listening to a Podcast about bike racing which before knowing you I would have never done (except for the aerodynamic video where the guy does a superman to blow past his competitors, that was awesome. I should find that video for you). Good luck with the rest of the race.

Thanks. Im having a great time. People are super friendly. If I didn't keep my introvert shields up I've have a  bunch of new friends. 

No one talks about the tour anymore. Lance ruined it for everyone. 

If your're really curious about racing there's a video series called "How the Race Was Won". You can find it on Vimeo or Cycling Tips these days. The guy goes into tactics and back stories. It helps if you know the big names though. 

I'll try to post a link when I'm at a computer. 

On 7/14/2017 at 8:50 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Woot! Woot! Congrats on completing, and becoming an honourary bear :loyal:

:)

On 7/14/2017 at 1:46 PM, EricMN said:

If you're going to be an honorary Bear, do you need to grow the beard back in?

Not only that, I'm going to have to put on another 30 or 50 pounds.

23 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

large.Screen-shot-2014-01-02-at-10_57.13-PM-1.png.bfee95f09e6eeb2a8483075bd8a9c099.png

Lol. 

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Way to go, sounds like you are doing awesome. That's great that you took the time out to say thanks, I'm sure that meant a lot to people

Hah. I don't know about that. But I've worked enough events that I know people act rude when normally wouldn't because they're stuck in their head. I don't want to be that guy. 

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

When I was stationed in California I would drive back home every long weekend, which was exactly 1,003 miles door to door and it took me about 12-13 hours to drive it. Yes I was speeding and yes I usually got a ticket but it couldn't be helped. I was 20 years old and drove an '84 Trans-Am T-top with a big firebird on the hood. Everyone knows those are incapable of driving slowly

From now on I will picture you asBurt Reynolds in Smoky and the Bandit. 

11 hours ago, deftona said:

Maybe you should rub your butt up a tree for a while to get some callouses back? Soft butts ain't nothing to fuck with. 

I... Ah...  I mean... nope, I can't figure out where to go with this. 

7 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I tried six times to write a post about sending you a booty massage over the interwebs, but there was no way to not have them sound wildly inappropriate so I'll just sympathize from a safe distance.

large.tenor.gif.d7cb644dcc0b7e52beb40bc8c4beab51.gif

Sometimes thats all you can do. I know you know what I'm talking about.  

5 hours ago, deftona said:

nah, I think they were talking about your butt but they got embarrassed when you turned around and they decided to style it out. 

I am 100% confident of this theory. 

I'll keep telling myself that so I don't cry myself to sleep. 

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

If flights here weren't so expensive, I would easily rather fly, but then mil will still need to fetch us at the airport for an hour's drive home, or we need to rent a car... Then I'll rather just drive, save money, enjoy the journey ... Reading how far you guys have to drive, I'm very thankful that South Africa is so small

Oh Sloth, you are awesome! Still the hero who is not just riding for a charity, but also lending a helping hand. :loyal: don't they perhaps have some physios (even ones in training) who could help with the sore muscles at the end of the day?

I so understand this! My foot tends to be a bit heavy on the petrol too. My first car was a Datsun Stanza with a nice 2litre engine. Not souped up or anything, but man it had a nice growl when you put your foot down. When hubby and I were engaged we used to take turns visiting each other over weekends. He was on a plantation 350km away. One weekend while driving up to him, it started raining, and then the wiper motor broke. So at first I pulled over next to the road (not a safe idea and no cellphone or service for that matter), pondering what to do. In the end I decided that if I drove fast enough the windscreen will be clear enough and I would be able to see. So of course I was there in record time, he nearly had a heart attack and gave me this huge, huge speech! I was 21 at the time and my only defense was that he and his mom taught me to drive, so I knew (relatively) what I was doing, or didn't he teach me well enough?

I actually got a massage at lunch from the guy who @The Most Loathed sees. It was amazing. He's been working like a dog from sunup to sundown. I'm in pretty good shape, I don't need to use up more of his time. 

There are also two chiropractors doing body work and some sort of Physio putting KT tape on everyone. 

• Like 6

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

7/15/17 Saturday

It was a good day. 72 miles in 4:35. It was a rolly course across farmland, very windy - almost none of it a tailwind. I tried to push the pace a little. About the first time all year I've moved out of the endurance zone. Not surprisingly, I don't have much power.

Today I was group hopping with folks who were pretty fit. They all had big triceps that stuck out when they pushed on the handlebars. I don't. Not at all.

One of the farmers, whose yard abuts the park where we had a pit stop, set up a petting zoo including miniature horses. :)

I'm really impressed with the folks who aren't riders and are on hybrid bikes. They are really pushing themselves. Some of them are taking close to 12 hours to finish the ride. Even with pitstops, that's an amazingly painful amount of time to sit on bike, even if you're used to riding. And they get up and do it again the next day.

Personally I don't like all the cheering. I just want to do my ride. But every day after I came in and got situated, I sat around, looked at my book, and cheered in the late comers. It gave me something to do.

They had a program after dinner (taco night). They talked about the work the funded groups do, it was actually pretty interesting. They also had a short drag show. It was crazy.

7/16/17 Sunday

Another good day. A short one. 46 miles from the edge of the farms, through the suburbs, to the capital. We rode near my neighborhood (and right by TML's house). I took it slow and easy.

I finally saw a bike accident, but it wasn't one of our riders. A guy was turning left at a light, a car was riding his tail, he got nervous and went down. He was really shook up. I was the only there, so I sat with him, talked, got his bike working, and hailed one of our support vehicles to bandage him up. By then he had calmed down enough to finish his ride.

The finish was pretty dramatic. Lots more cheering. I got lots of hugs from guys I didn't know a few days ago. The Bears said I could join their team next year. Mrs. Sloth tried to convince me to sign up again for next year - there's a steep discount for early registration. I might.

• Like 16

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

39 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The finish was pretty dramatic. Lots more cheering. I got lots of hugs from guys I didn't know a few days ago. The Bears said I could join their team next year. Mrs. Sloth tried to convince me to sign up again for next year - there's a steep discount for early registration. I might.

Dooooo it!

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Way to go on finishing! Seems like somehow you always find some one who you can help too. You should be Sloth the Enduring and encouraging.

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Way to go on finishing! Seems like somehow you always find some one who you can help too. You should be Sloth the Enduring and encouraging.

7 hours ago, deftona said:

Sloth the Ease Your Pain-ing. 

Here's the thing.  I post for accountability. I'm sure you all are helping people all the time and don't even notice it because it's natural for you. But by nature I'm quite the self-centered asshole. Empathy is more intellectual for me than natural. I've been working on it for a long time. It took a big leap forward when I did a few positivity challenges a couple (few?) years back, y'all, especially @Tanktimus the Encourager, were instrumental there.  It took another leap forward when @Jittersthe.Clown did his pay it forward challenges and wrote that there are always people around that you can help if you just look.  So I try to. 

4 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Here is a move you can use for your next race. I love the scooter driver near the end.

That is insane.  I'd crash for sure. 

12 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Dooooo it!

:) I'm still thinking about it. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That is insane.  I'd crash for sure. 

I developed road rash just watching that!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

I think for most people self centered is the default. I know it is with me. I'm trying to be more aware too, but it takes a conscious effort.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Personally I don't like all the cheering. I just want to do my ride. But every day after I came in and got situated, I sat around, looked at my book, and cheered in the late comers. It gave me something to do.

Being cheered for always makes me feel weird but I LOVE cheering for other people.  *shrugs* hahaha

• Like 1
On 2017/07/15 at 10:41 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I actually got a massage at lunch from the guy who @The Most Loathed sees. It was amazing. He's been working like a dog from sunup to sundown. I'm in pretty good shape, I don't need to use up more of his time. 

You deserve some spoiling.

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Do it! I always loved the energy that abound around a race. In the end you become so excited for the riders.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

1 hour ago, Raxie said:
17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Being cheered for always makes me feel weird but I LOVE cheering for other people.  *shrugs* hahaha

I used to be in the same boat, especially in small races where there is nobody but me going by, since I am almost always a back-of-the-pack runner. It felt obligatory at best and ironic at worst. It still feels weird, but I take it with the sincerity that it's given, now, providing I can even hear anything, I tend to block out a lot of stuff when I'm on a course.

• Like 1

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

On 7/14/2017 at 10:40 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It's weird being the only one here who isn't with a group of friends. The Bears will talk to me, but mostly I'm chilling on my own.

Sounds like this all worked out ok, but I know what you mean. I've done a fair bit of solo traveling for races...sometimes I meet people, and sometimes I don't. It's usually still fun, but sometimes it's a little disappointing or awkward.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:02 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

As long as your talking about tushies...

At a pit stop I bent down to stretch my hams. Immediately the two guys behind me said, "Ooh, that is gorgeous." And "Fabulous."

I was crushed when I realized they were talking about the scenery. Which really was gorgeous.

This morning I was running, and I saw a guy in his yard near the road. From a bit of a distance, it looked to me like he was doing some kind of crow pose balanced on some rocks. I was super impressed and almost called out to him, something like "that looks awesome". But then I got closer and was really glad I didn't. He was just bent over doing some yardwork. Yikes! I don't know why in the hell my brain jumped to "that guy must be doing crow pose balanced on rocks" (especially since I've only seen that once before, and it was on YouTube years ago)...weird!

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

9 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

I developed road rash just watching that!

I am too lazy to figure out how to post that picture above in a quote.  But on the ride I put red glitter on during the day when everyone was getting campy.  I didn't look fabulous, I looked like I crashed. A lot of people asked me what happened until it sweated off. I sent the pic to Mrs. Sloth and she totally freaked out. You'd think she'd be used to me crashing by now. 

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I think for most people self centered is the default. I know it is with me. I'm trying to be more aware too, but it takes a conscious effort.

I suppose you're right.  I've always felt like I was/ am trying to figure out how to be a human from an outsider's perspective. Maybe everyone is like that. 

8 hours ago, Raxie said:

Yes.  This is me.

7 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

You deserve some spoiling.

Do it! I always loved the energy that abound around a race. In the end you become so excited for the riders.

I got a massage today, it was amazing. During the ride I didn't want to take a time slot away from someone who really needed it - there were some folks who were really hurting.  Although some folks signed up every single day. 

6 hours ago, EricMN said:

I used to be in the same boat, especially in small races where there is nobody but me going by, since I am almost always a back-of-the-pack runner. It felt obligatory at best and ironic at worst. It still feels weird, but I take it with the sincerity that it's given, now, providing I can even hear anything, I tend to block out a lot of stuff when I'm on a course.

I know we've talked about cheering before and you and I are of a single mind here. 

I was was at a wellness place today and they showed me their float tank.  Basically an isolation tank filled with an epsoms salt bath for recovery.  He also talked about how it calms the monkey brain and allows you better access to the flow state. It sounds like you are able to get in one already, but I'm intrigued. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Sounds like this all worked out ok, but I know what you mean. I've done a fair bit of solo traveling for races...sometimes I meet people, and sometimes I don't. It's usually still fun, but sometimes it's a little disappointing or awkward.

This morning I was running, and I saw a guy in his yard near the road. From a bit of a distance, it looked to me like he was doing some kind of crow pose balanced on some rocks. I was super impressed and almost called out to him, something like "that looks awesome". But then I got closer and was really glad I didn't. He was just bent over doing some yardwork. Yikes! I don't know why in the hell my brain jumped to "that guy must be doing crow pose balanced on rocks" (especially since I've only seen that once before, and it was on YouTube years ago)...weird!

I've done a lot of solo races too.  Usually I'm parking lot camping.  And that's a lot easier because there are other people in the same boat, but I'm totally okay with solitude in a crowd.  It's kind of natural for me. 

You should have yelled out. It would have made his day.  Of course then you'd have some drama with his wife and all of Stars Hollow would be talking about it. 

• Like 7

7/17/17 Anyone else notice that the dates this week work forward and backward.  The numerologists must be going nuts. 

A chill day.  The slothlings went to day camp.  I sat around and read.  I was tender to the touch.  I took a ten mile ride at an easy pace to loosen up.  I got a massage that was really good. I'm about to grab a tub cider and take an Epsom salts bath. 

In two weeks I have the Wausua race. That's just enough time to finish my recovery week and start a taper week. ;) Honestly I can't fathom how @EricMN , @Charlie_Quinn! or @Xenarace and train so much with so little recovery. I'd be broken down and dead if I followed their schedule.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

In two weeks I have the Wausua race. That's just enough time to finish my recovery week and start a taper week. ;) Honestly I can't fathom how @EricMN , @Charlie_Quinn! or @Xenarace and train so much with so little recovery. I'd be broken down and dead if I followed their schedule.

It does catch up with me. After a race I usually sleep for the rest of the day and sometimes most of the following day (I hate it when races are on a Sunday!). What you are doing is sensible, I'm sure I'd perform a lot better if I did proper taper and recovery weeks.

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

7/17/17 Anyone else notice that the dates this week work forward and backward.  The numerologists must be going nuts. 

I'm surprised that no one has been talking about this I recall on 12/13/14 people couldn't stop talking about how "this will never happen again in our lifetimes"

• Like 4

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I've always felt like I was/ am trying to figure out how to be a human from an outsider's perspective. Maybe everyone is like that. 

large.They-Live.jpg.4d863f16ddfcd8cda03280394e8c8483.jpg

• Like 2

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

I'm surprised that no one has been talking about this I recall on 12/13/14 people couldn't stop talking about how "this will never happen again in our lifetimes"

Owner of the gym was babbling about it yesterday! I had no idea what he was talking about til just now.

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

1 hour ago, The Most Loathed said:

I remember back in high school it seemed like everyone was going on about how just after noon on July 8, 1990 the time would be 12:34:56 7/8/90

It's a good thing we didn't have the internet back then or that would have broken it...

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

A chill day.  The slothlings went to day camp.  I sat around and read.  I was tender to the touch.  I took a ten mile ride at an easy pace to loosen up.  I got a massage that was really good. I'm about to grab a tub cider and take an Epsom salts bath. 

In two weeks I have the Wausua race. That's just enough time to finish my recovery week and start a taper week. ;) Honestly I can't fathom how @EricMN, @Charlie_Quinn! or @Xena race and train so much with so little recovery. I'd be broken down and dead if I followed their schedule.

Brother, you follow me, I can't always keep up with my schedule, either.

• Like 2

Rebel Scum Current Challenge