On July 17, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

7/17/17 Anyone else notice that the dates this week work forward and backward.  The numerologists must be going nuts. 

A chill day.  The slothlings went to day camp.  I sat around and read.  I was tender to the touch.  I took a ten mile ride at an easy pace to loosen up.  I got a massage that was really good. I'm about to grab a tub cider and take an Epsom salts bath. 

In two weeks I have the Wausua race. That's just enough time to finish my recovery week and start a taper week. ;) Honestly I can't fathom how @EricMN , @Charlie_Quinn! or @Xenarace and train so much with so little recovery. I'd be broken down and dead if I followed their schedule.

Hey Sloth, on your Epsom salt bath, how much of the salts do you use.....pound wise?  And have you ever heard/read about putting hydrogen peroxide in the bath with Epsom salt?

I read somewhere that in the float tanks some guys put upwards of 1,000 pounds of the magnesium sulfate in a tub. That is a lot of the salts!

On July 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

I looked at the picture and thought you'd' smashed your face on the road. Glad it was glitter. :lol:

Thanks for not wanting me smashed. 

On July 18, 2017 at 3:26 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

It does catch up with me. After a race I usually sleep for the rest of the day and sometimes most of the following day (I hate it when races are on a Sunday!). What you are doing is sensible, I'm sure I'd perform a lot better if I did proper taper and recovery weeks.

Its hard to,do all the things. I'd perform better if I slept more and ate right. 

On July 18, 2017 at 6:57 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I'm surprised that no one has been talking about this I recall on 12/13/14 people couldn't stop talking about how "this will never happen again in our lifetimes"

Oh, yeah, I remember that. Or Pi day 2015 at 9:26.

On July 18, 2017 at 8:27 AM, DJtrippyT said:

large.They-Live.jpg.4d863f16ddfcd8cda03280394e8c8483.jpg

:)

On July 18, 2017 at 8:39 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I remember back in high school it seemed like everyone was going on about how just after noon on July 8, 1990 the time would be 12:34:56 7/8/90

It's a good thing we didn't have the internet back then or that would have broken it...

I can not get my students interested in quirky dates. Not even Star Wars day. 

On July 18, 2017 at 10:39 AM, EricMN said:

Brother, you follow me, I can't always keep up with my schedule, either.

Yeah, but you do most of it and it's a killer schedule.

On July 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Terra said:

I came across this today and thought you needed it...

f6ab75c57bfbea9dbc3378a45f11ce6e.jpg

Hah.  I love it. Thanks. 

On July 18, 2017 at 10:02 PM, JonnyGunns said:

Hey Sloth, on your Epsom salt bath, how much of the salts do you use.....pound wise?  And have you ever heard/read about putting hydrogen peroxide in the bath with Epsom salt?

I read somewhere that in the float tanks some guys put upwards of 1,000 pounds of the magnesium sulfate in a tub. That is a lot of the salts!

I put in about 2 cups, I'd guess about 1 pound. I haven't heard of that.  Have you heard of using ginger?  It's supposed to decrease inflammation even more. I haven't tried it, it seems too much like soup.  Salt baths are all bro science, but they seem to work for me. The keys is some mellow tunes and a bath beer. 

The float tank I saw was massive and they put 800# in.  I can visualize that much salt because I buy a 25# bag every winter for the sidewalk, but I can not fathom how they get it all to dissolve. I'd really love to try it, but before I spend the money I want someone I trust to do it and tell me how worthwhile it was. 

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Not much to report for this week.  It's been rainy and the mountain bike trails are closed. I've gone out and done an hour easy ride on the roads each day to keep my legs loose.  I haven't done anything else. My PVP troops are going to be few. Oh, I did start doing ten push ups a day for Elastigirl. 

Slothgirl has decided to be a cowgirl and doesn't want to wear anything besides cowboy boots. When I was in second grade I actually did only wear cowboy boots for an entire year, but I was the weird kid. My mom wouldn't buy me boots when I grew out of them and I had to wear keds in third grade. 

Twyla, our foster dog, has found a forever home. A retired guy from the north woods lost an old shih tzu, so he wants another old one to keep his other dog company. He fell in love with her immediately. I finally noticed that she only has half a tongue. I thought it was hanging out of her mouth funny because of her jaw, but most of the right half is gone. It made me mad at breeders all over again. She'll be with us another week or so while the paperwork gets sorted out. She's very aloof toward people, but I'm going to miss her. 

I gave some un-needed bike parts away today. The lady baked me cookies. There may or may not be any left. 

Today we went to a hole-in-the-wall Korean place.  Tofu House.  I recommend it for the local nerds. It was good, but the menu had no descriptors so I'm not sure what I ate.

Tonight I did a training race.  Second time this year I've been on a mountain bike. They sent us straight up the ski hill at the start.  They ran the course backwards from the normal route. There were steep climbs and fast twisty single track,descents. 

My body isn't used to going fast. A half mile in I started getting tunnel,vision and threw up.  I backed it off.  Same thing happened after 5 miles so I backed it off some more. I was pure suffering out there. I somehow didn't come in last place. Mrs. Sloth estimated around the middle of the pack. I didn't check results because I didn't want to be disappointed. So I'm going with middle of the pack. 

For or not having anything to say I wrote a lot.  Good night Nerd friends. 

• Like 16

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Hey Sloth if you get tired of teaching I might have found a new job for you.

https://compostpedallers.com/

A company that peddles around and collects kitchen and yard waste so that it can be composted. Only problem is that it's in Austin Texas but perhaps you could supplement your summer income by going there plus you could hang with Spezzy. Don't know if it would do anything for speed training but your endurance would have to go through the roof lugging around 400 lbs of compost everyday. If nothing else check out their bikes, might be a trend you could bring to Minneapolis.

I've also been checking out How the Race was Won and find it interesting. However the only team I know is Team Sky and that is only because of the recent performance during the Tour de France. Any other top teams I should investigate?

• Like 2

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

7 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Hey Sloth if you get tired of teaching I might have found a new job for you.

https://compostpedallers.com/

A company that peddles around and collects kitchen and yard waste so that it can be composted. Only problem is that it's in Austin Texas but perhaps you could supplement your summer income by going there plus you could hang with Spezzy. Don't know if it would do anything for speed training but your endurance would have to go through the roof lugging around 400 lbs of compost everyday. If nothing else check out their bikes, might be a trend you could bring to Minneapolis.

I've also been checking out How the Race was Won and find it interesting. However the only team I know is Team Sky and that is only because of the recent performance during the Tour de France. Any other top teams I should investigate?

Their head peddler hasn't used soap for years - ick. Minneapolis is all over this trend. Peace Coffee delivers beans to shops by bike. I have that planned as my semi-retirement gig. Austin might be better in the winter though.

Sky is a good team to follow, they do media well. I'm not a very good fan, but I follow Cannondale-Drapac a bit, they're the descendants of the American Garmin team, but American racers are few these days.  I like the classics, so in the spring I pay attention to the Belgium teams Lotto and Quickstep. Trek has Cantador so they might be worth following.  Orica-Scott is Australian so they're automatically interesting. I just added Sunweb to my Twitter feed.  I would follow Movistar, but they tweet in Spanish. 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

She did just come to Texas...

We went to Cavenders like you suggested. It big huge and crowded like heck. Slothgirl got a pair of all leather boots with a pink top for cheaper then I was hoping. She's already worn the heck out of them. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We went to Cavenders like you suggested. It big huge and crowded like heck. Slothgirl got a pair of all leather boots with a pink top for cheaper then I was hoping. She's already worn the heck out of them. 

Image result for happy texan gif

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I just wanted to point out that @Sloth the Enduring spent 4 hours helping me move THEN went on a bike ride. Good dude who is fit.

I only rode for 45 minutes or so. Something's wrong with the front end of my mountain bike so I shut it down.

After that I ended up at an Art Car parade and now a concert on the park. And that is today's update.

• Like 6

On 7/22/2017 at 6:20 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I only rode for 45 minutes or so. Something's wrong with the front end of my mountain bike so I shut it down.

After that I ended up at an Art Car parade and now a concert on the park. And that is today's update.

You realize that a lot of people would be totally exhausted after helping someone move? TML is right, you are fit.

• Like 6

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You realize that a lot of people would be totally exhausted after helping someone move? TML is right, you are fit.

Thanks. I'm not saying I'm not. I have a lot of endurance, way more than a normal person would need. I need more strength and flexibility.

• Like 5

7/23/17 Sunday

I fixed my mountain bike this morning. It probably got banged around in the last race or the one before and I didn't notice 'cause I was racing. Both the brake and headset were loose.

After that the family went to the Open Streets Festival - where they shut down a main artery to motorized traffic. It was lots of fun. We biked about ten miles at little kid's speed, saw some friends - we accumulated little girls as we went - played some games, ate some food, and I had a good cider.

I toured a training facility for cyclists. I got on a bike and tested my power. I peaked at 774 watts and could hold 520+ for 30 seconds. About half of what is needed to sprint at a pro level, but not bad for a club racer. I should be going faster than I do. My brain is holding me back I think.

In the evening I went mountain biking. I'm still recovering from last week's long ride and it was late, so my plan was to just go out for 45-60 minutes and practice cornering. Some kid got lost so I did another lap and helped look for him. He wandered out on his own though.

Training: 1:45 mountain biking.

Eating: good

Accts: still not balanced (I hate keeping track of money).

I'm going to go on a longish, harder ride tomorrow and ease off for the rest of the week and focus on skills. I'll also be eating super-clean this week. I don't want another repeat of last year's slothbelly fiasco in the middle of the race.

I don't expect to do well at next week's race, but I don't want to do poorly for a stupid reason either.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thanks. I'm not saying I'm not. I have a lot of endurance, way more than a normal person would need. I need more strength and flexibility.

I got an email from DDP himself (yeah right) giving a code to return to DDPYoga app. You may want to try it out to see if it works for you, first month $1 and every month after that $7 (down from $30 a month). The code is DDPYNOW (after you download the DDPYoga Now app). It says limited time offer so don't know how long it's good for, but I only got it on Friday.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

8 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

So much bike riding!

Hope you gave all those children you acquired back...

It's all I really like to do. 

By by the end of the route we were down to our's plus one extra. She came home with us, but was gone by the time I got back from biking.  I assume she made it home alright. 

5 hours ago, Bearlee said:

I got an email from DDP himself (yeah right) giving a code to return to DDPYoga app. You may want to try it out to see if it works for you, first month $1 and every month after that $7 (down from $30 a month). The code is DDPYNOW (after you download the DDPYoga Now app). It says limited time offer so don't know how long it's good for, but I only got it on Friday.

DDP will be at your home soon, you'd better give him his money. I hate the subscription model; I'd rather pay more up front and be done with it. I have the actual DVDs, so I'm good. Thanks though. 

This is what happens when you drop DDPYoga. 

giphy.gif

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Speaking if strength, how is the push up challenge going?:)

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Emotional and physical endurance, you have. Catching up on all the news, but it seems you are Sloth The Hero To the Rescue as always. :loyal: Carry on...

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Speaking of strength, how are the 10 push ups a day going?

• Like 1

I wasn't going to update tonight, but since @Elastigirl is nagging me...

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Speaking if strength, how is the push up challenge going?

Not too bad. I'm better at doing them than posting about them. 

10 hours ago, Raxie said:

I've never heard of DDPY before and I am both flabbergasted and incredibly intrigued.

DDPYoga is good if you don't like Yoga, but need it to be able to move. There are a lot of strength moves mixed in and they transition between poses pretty quickly. I also like getting barked at by a pirate better than being soothed by a nymph. If you've done yoga before you may be irritated by the names he gives the poses. 

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Emotional and physical endurance, you have. Catching up on all the news, but it seems you are Sloth The Hero To the Rescue as always. :loyal: Carry on...

This is normally where I say anyone would have done it, but I won't, 'cause they didn't. The other old guy mountain bikers just shrugged and said no when asked if they'd seen the kid.  I was appalled at the lack of concern.  It was almost sundown, the kid had to be frantic. Anyway I really didn't do anything but ride around on the trails some more, I think the biggest benefit was that the family knew someone else was concerned and trying to do something.

52 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Speaking of strength, how are the 10 push ups a day going?

I've tied them to taking a shower, so they're getting done most days. I didn't do them on the day I helped TML move though. 

I'll post better my dear. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I wasn't going to update tonight, but since @Elastigirl is nagging me...

Not too bad. I'm better at doing them than posting about them. 

DDPYoga is good if you don't like Yoga, but need it to be able to move. There are a lot of strength moves mixed in and they transition between poses pretty quickly. I also like getting barked at by a pirate better than being soothed by a nymph. If you've done yoga before you may be irritated by the names he gives the poses. 

This is normally where I say anyone would have done it, but I won't, 'cause they didn't. The other old guy mountain bikers just shrugged and said no when asked if they'd seen the kid.  I was appalled at the lack of concern.  It was almost sundown, the kid had to be frantic. Anyway I really didn't do anything but ride around on the trails some more, I think the biggest benefit was that the family knew someone else was concerned and trying to do something.

I've tied them to taking a shower, so they're getting done most days. I didn't do them on the day I helped TML move though. 

I'll post better my dear. 

:) Sorry about the nagging. I thought I posted about the push ups, and then when I came back to the computer it looked like I hadn't, so I posted it again. I'm blaming the fact that I'm on the desktop computer instead of my laptop:lol: (which is being repaired due to my dropping it)  Good for you for doing the push ups, that's more important than posting about it. And skipping them after helping TML move is a legit excuse.

• Like 7

7/24/17 Monday

Chill day, not much to mention. 

Mobility: none - I really need to get back on the Yoga train.

Strength: 10 push-ups.  My kettlebells have cobwebs on them. 

Endurance: 15 miles off-road in ~1:45.  My plan was to do 3 or 4 laps and really tire out my legs and taper off for 4 days, but my legs were tired when I started, so I only did 2 laps. I decided to err on the side of being too rested. 

Eating: I grabbed a smashburger on the way to the trail. It had goat cheese on it, which I washed down with a Coke. I guess eating super clean starts tomorrow. 

Accts: not balanced. It's like I'm not even trying to be an adult. 

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Accts: not balanced. It's like I'm not even trying to be an adult. 

I just demanded to go out for pizza as I'd had to stay home all day waiting for a delivery and had cabin fever.  Not much adult there either ;-)

(The pizza was amazing though - prosciutto and sun dried tomatoes and pineapple and mozzarella, and I only had half and got salad on the other half, so probably makes me half adult.  Aka child...)

• Like 2