On 8/8/2017 at 10:29 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Can anyone use Tapatalk? It doesn't seem to work for me. 

I have, alas, not used Tapatalk in over a year. I had some random issues with it and gave up. I hope you get it sorted!

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

New challenge. Really though, it's the same old crap repackaged. 

Sloth Gets Regular

Followed, was really hoping there'd be more poop though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

Where did you find a picture oh John Henry and Tour  de France all in one? Feels so incredibly unlikely and yet...

Image result for gif point up

That image is from a graphic novel biography of Eddy Merckx, who is by far the greatest cyclist of all time.  

Cyclists have a reverence for suffering.  They also have a zen approach to fitness; you do what you can, but it comes and goes on it’s own whim. I met the man with the hammer is what you say if you hit the wall or bonked, usually miles from the finish, but still soldiered on and finished the race/ ride. I believe that image is from the first Tour de France that Eddy lost. He was attacking his rival when a fan kidney punched him.  He lost the stage and the lead.  The next day he attacked hard and seemed on track to retake the race, but he cracked hard and lost gobs of time.  

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

6/25/18 Monday

I already talked about this in the last challenge, but we took the foster dog in to vet and found out her leg is going to have to be amputated. That was a bit devastating. Afterwards I finished cleaning up Slothboy’s room from his vomiting last night. As long as I had the upholstery cleaner out I tackled the soft goods in the living room - I’m convinced the Ewok dog was peeing on things out of contempt for us. I also cleared out the vines from the fence and tamed the raspberries enough that they’d quit grabbing people as they walked by. Oh, and I did several loads of laundry. 

I got a 10 mile ride in, just enough to loosen up the legs and to get the new saddle positioned correctly. I also did 20 minute beginner yoga thing.  

Other bits and pieces: I’m not eating enough, although I’m not losing weight. I think I need to be more mindful about recovery, which should include the damn yoga.  I probably also ought to start strength training like I talked about last challenge. 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I already talked about this in the last challenge, but we took the foster dog in to vet and found out her leg is going to have to be amputated. That was a bit devastating. Afterwards I finished cleaning up Slothboy’s room from his vomiting last night. As long as I had the upholstery cleaner out I tackled the soft goods in the living room - I’m convinced the Ewok dog was peeing on things out of contempt for us. I also cleared out the vines from the fence and tamed the raspberries enough that they’d quit grabbing people as they walked by. Oh, and I did several loads of laundry. 

I got a 10 mile ride in, just enough to loosen up the legs and to get the new saddle positioned correctly. I also did 20 minute beginner yoga thing.

Wow! Suddenly I feel lazy and tired compared to what you managed to do. Any raspberries for dessert?

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Merckx-man-with-the-hammer-LR.jpg

Restarting my Battle Log. Updates to follow. 

Clearly I had excellent timing for realizing I don't harass you anywhere but TML's thread.

You'll be followed as poorly as I follow his thread. :P

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

6/26/18 Tuesday

Current Data:

weight: 182.6# / 82.8kg, about 10# /4.5kg more than a year ago.

waist: 37 3/8” / 95cm, about an inch/ 3cm more than a year ago. 

Power Benchmark: 170 Watts (Strava estimate). 

Luckily I found the stash of fat guy shorts I thought I donated last year. 

In unrelated news, I just balanced my checkbook and noticed I spend a lot of money on garbage food and beer. 

• Like 7

When we really cut back on drinking, I was AMAZED at how much money went down the tubes to beer.  Y i k e s.

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 6/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think I need to be more mindful about recovery, which should include the damn yoga.  I probably also ought to start strength training like I talked about last challenge. 

Ah, the yoga. I'm not a fan, but it does seem to work. It has helped out my back and hips the last week or so. It's just so much easier to go for a run, or in your case hop on a bike and I don't know why. You don't even need to leave the house for yoga, yet it seems to require more motivation than other exercising. 

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 6/26/2018 at 6:15 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

Wow! Suddenly I feel lazy and tired compared to what you managed to do. Any raspberries for dessert?

Hah. A rare day. The locusts neighbor kids ate a bunch, but we got a quart. 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:07 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Clearly I had excellent timing for realizing I don't harass you anywhere but TML's thread.

You'll be followed as poorly as I follow his thread. :P

i only radomly check out your thread too.  I usually don’t know what’s going on and sneak out before I’m noticed. 

On 6/26/2018 at 2:42 PM, shaar said:

When we really cut back on drinking, I was AMAZED at how much money went down the tubes to beer.  Y i k e s.

Hah.  I never have more than two, but it adds up when you’re a beer snob. 

9 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Ah, the yoga. I'm not a fan, but it does seem to work. It has helped out my back and hips the last week or so. It's just so much easier to go for a run, or in your case hop on a bike and I don't know why. You don't even need to leave the house for yoga, yet it seems to require more motivation than other exercising. 

Yoga is the worst. I hate it, but it keeps me mobile. 

• Like 3

6/26/18 Tuesday 

Tapatalk isn’t working for me again and the most recent browser version of NF has never worked well for me...

Not a whole lot of adulting was done except balance my books. I dread that task overly much. Otherwise did the typical kid duty stuff. 

I had limited time to ride because of the rain, so I tried to do a hill session. I had some exercise-induced asthma.  I’m not sure what that was about, but I’d guess it’s related to having a dog that sheds (we usually foster non shedders because we’re all allergic). I cut the ride short, 13 miles and 4 hills, and only went at an 80% effort. Strava estimated my power at 266-360 Watts.  Which is better than I’ve shown before. I guess comrade Pavel was right and you produce the most power at an 80% effort. Strava estimates are just a best guess though. 

6/27/18 Wednesday. 

I went mountain biking today.  Today’s woe was that my knee was being an asshole.  I only did one lap of the three planned. If I was smart I’d lay off the bike until I healed up, but how much summer do we get?  Anyway, 9 or 10miles. I felt fast, I was flowing through the trail like I actually knew how to ride and was passing people, feeling pretty good about myself, when a couple of guys who are actually fast went by me like I was standing still.

I’m going to force myself to do yoga before I go to bed.  

Mrs. Sloth bought StepSloth a basic used car today. His clunker finally died and he travels between job sites. She thought I’d be mad that she made the offer, but I think that it is too hard for kids to get started these days and most kids need a helping hand. It’s far more difficult than when us Gen Xers got off the ground.  I’m just glad we’re in a position to help. I really worry about the direction of our country and what it’ll be like when the slothlings leave the nest. 

If he decides to move home to “save money” that’s when I’ll get mad. 

ETA: I’ve been debating with the wife over whether I should walk the foster dog to start strengthening up her leftover leg or not walk her because it’ll hurt.  She romps and runs and it isn’t slowing her down much (she’s on a painkiller now and is very happy). Anyone want to weigh in?

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth bought StepSloth a basic used car today. His clunker finally died and he travels between job sites. She thought I’d be mad that she made the offer, but I think that it is too hard for kids to get started these days and most kids need a helping hand. It’s far more difficult than when us Gen Xers got off the ground.  I’m just glad we’re in a position to help. I really worry about the direction of our country and what it’ll be like when the slothlings leave the nest

Same here on all counts, except Brandt wants them to fix up their own car first, because then they'll appreciate it more (his words was in line with "they'll know how to treat a woman carefully/softly and with respect), but I think the money side (it will be too expensive to fix things if you treat it harshly, so treat it wisely and with respect to cost you less money in the long run) will hit them harder at that age. *shrug* Who knows?

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve been debating with the wife over whether I should walk the foster dog to start strengthening up her leftover leg or not walk her because it’ll hurt.  She romps and runs and it isn’t slowing her down much (she’s on a painkiller now and is very happy). Anyone want to weigh in?

Recuperation is much faster if the injured party is fit and healthy otherwise, but here I'm thinking of Brandt when he had the hip replacement. He kept on cycling and walking before the op even though he was in severe pain, but within two days after the op he was back on his feet and going again (though at a slower pace to recuperate). It's much of a much-ness, isn't it? She is already moving around, playing and jumping, walking would be a much calmer, more controlled activity. Maybe she isn't putting full weight on that leg anyway? If she likes walking on a leash, then maybe yes. If she doesn't, then rather after the op when the pain is less?

Missy recently had cancer lumps removed (cuts on her back near spine and side), not a leg, but she was up and about the very next day because she was fit and healthy, and her recovery was super fast.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA: I’ve been debating with the wife over whether I should walk the foster dog to start strengthening up her leftover leg or not walk her because it’ll hurt.  She romps and runs and it isn’t slowing her down much (she’s on a painkiller now and is very happy). Anyone want to weigh in?

Animals are amazing because they adapt way better than humans do to this kind of shit.  They don't.... worry or whine or set their brains into an anxious spiral like we do.  They just figure out how to keep going and generally do fine.  Most pets also have an amazingly high pain tolerance and often won't show symptoms unless something's really hindering them or giving them a serious problem. 

I worked at a veterinary orthopedic surgeon for many years and I was always amazed when dogs would present with a fractured leg/hip/what have you and generally just be like "hihihihihi :DDDD" like, you know, dogs.  I'd say if she's not exhibiting serious issues or outwardly whining/crying to just be cautious and take it slow.

(thanks for coming to my broken leg animal ted talk)

• Like 7

13 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Kudos on getting out for a bit even with the knee acting up! When I’m not feeling 100% I usually opt for Netflix junk food. Awesome that you pushed through to get some ride time and yoga in!

Thanks. The knee only bothers me on hills, stairs, and turning left so I forget about it until I’m out there. 

8 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Same here on all counts, except Brandt wants them to fix up their own car first, because then they'll appreciate it more (his words was in line with "they'll know how to treat a woman carefully/softly and with respect), but I think the money side (it will be too expensive to fix things if you treat it harshly, so treat it wisely and with respect to cost you less money in the long run) will hit them harder at that age. *shrug* Who knows?

Recuperation is much faster if the injured party is fit and healthy otherwise, but here I'm thinking of Brandt when he had the hip replacement. He kept on cycling and walking before the op even though he was in severe pain, but within two days after the op he was back on his feet and going again (though at a slower pace to recuperate). It's much of a much-ness, isn't it? She is already moving around, playing and jumping, walking would be a much calmer, more controlled activity. Maybe she isn't putting full weight on that leg anyway? If she likes walking on a leash, then maybe yes. If she doesn't, then rather after the op when the pain is less?

Missy recently had cancer lumps removed (cuts on her back near spine and side), not a leg, but she was up and about the very next day because she was fit and healthy, and her recovery was super fast.

I like Brandt's philosophy.  However, Cars are so complicated these days.  It’s not like when I was a kid and you could buy a ‘76 Chevy Nova cheap, see the whole engine and have room to move around under the hood and all you needed was a basic manual and a cheap toolset to fix anything on it. (I’m a car Luddite, I still don’t trust power windows).

She’s learned to open the gate and has been taking herself for walks, so I guess she’s ready. 

57 minutes ago, shaar said:

Animals are amazing because they adapt way better than humans do to this kind of shit.  They don't.... worry or whine or set their brains into an anxious spiral like we do.  They just figure out how to keep going and generally do fine.  Most pets also have an amazingly high pain tolerance and often won't show symptoms unless something's really hindering them or giving them a serious problem. 

I worked at a veterinary orthopedic surgeon for many years and I was always amazed when dogs would present with a fractured leg/hip/what have you and generally just be like "hihihihihi :DDDD" like, you know, dogs.  I'd say if she's not exhibiting serious issues or outwardly whining/crying to just be cautious and take it slow.

(thanks for coming to my broken leg animal ted talk)

There you go, I just gotta tell the wife that Shaar said it was ok. Yeah, I can’t imagine how she’s happy enough to get the zoomies with her leg broken as badly as it is. BTW, spellcheck thinks Shaar should be spelled SHAAR!, it’s like it knows you. 

————-

When I waited for the kids swimming class to start some mom tried to talk to me. After I stammered awkwardly for a bit she gave up and stared at her phone. When I rolled up this character I wish I had put skill points into smalltalk instead of *checks character sheet* sharpens lawn mower. 

Today I’m going to do some adulting, yoga, and the MtB training race. I’m not sure that’s wise, but I’d rather not miss a race.  I’m also going to order some Cannabis Oil (non stoner version) and see if that’s the magic healing elixir people claim it to be. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

BTW, spellcheck thinks Shaar should be spelled SHAAR!, it’s like it knows you. 

IT KNOWS ME

15 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When I rolled up this character I wish I had put skill points into smalltalk instead of *checks character sheet* sharpens lawn mower. 

Why aren't you writing a book??  You should totally write a book.  This is good stuff.

If it makes you feel any better most of my points are in smalltalk but I'm regretfully short in things like Basic Mechanical Repair and Anything Above Very Easy Mathematics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When I waited for the kids swimming class to start some mom tried to talk to me. After I stammered awkwardly for a bit she gave up and stared at her phone. When I rolled up this character I wish I had put skill points into smalltalk instead of *checks character sheet* sharpens lawn mower. 

As someone with points in small talk I assure you it's overrated. Whenever I have to make a small talk check I also roll for "exit conversation gracefully." 

• Like 5

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 6/27/2018 at 8:50 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I felt fast, I was flowing through the trail like I actually knew how to ride and was passing people, feeling pretty good about myself, when a couple of guys who are actually fast went by me like I was standing still.

I usually get a feeling like that right before I trip over something.

Mrs. Sloth bought StepSloth a basic used car today. His clunker finally died and he travels between job sites. She thought I’d be mad that she made the offer, but I think that it is too hard for kids to get started these days and most kids need a helping hand. It’s far more difficult than when us Gen Xers got off the ground.  I’m just glad we’re in a position to help. I really worry about the direction of our country and what it’ll be like when the slothlings leave the nest.

I think you're pretty right about this.

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I seem to have missed out on both of those. I could probably learn to sharpen a lawn mower...

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

9 hours ago, shaar said:

IT KNOWS ME

Why aren't you writing a book??  You should totally write a book.  This is good stuff.

If it makes you feel any better most of my points are in smalltalk but I'm regretfully short in things like Basic Mechanical Repair and Anything Above Very Easy Mathematics.

Words aren't my jam. NF is my only outlet. Although I did have a Woodworking blog a long time ago that had a few followers - I can’t find it now, maybe if I could remember what it was called...

Yeah, but you could easily sweet talk someone into your basic mechanical repair which is even better. I helped a young woman fix her bike this morning and all she had to do was look up all sad and stuff. Also, your phone has a calculator. 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As someone with points in small talk I assure you it's overrated. Whenever I have to make a small talk check I also roll for "exit conversation gracefully." 

I roll for “don’t look like an idiot.”  Unfortunately it has a high DC. 

9 minutes ago, Xena said:

I usually get a feeling like that right before I trip over something.

I think you're pretty right about this.

I seem to have missed out on both of those. I could probably learn to sharpen a lawn mower...

Lol. 

:( 

Sharpening a lawn mower isn’t that hard, but how often do you need to do it?  Might as well take it in to an old-fashioned hardware store once a year and give them $10 and save yourself the trouble. 

• Like 3

I felt fast, I was flowing through the trail like I actually knew how to ride and was passing people, feeling pretty good about myself,

Jealous. 

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)