6/28/18 Thursday

No adulting was done this day.  Mrs. Sloth wanted to have a long, leisurely lunch date.  As that’s her favorite thing for us to do I didn’t say no.  We went to a tap room that we’ve enjoyed before, but today the inside smelled like stale beer and the patio smelled like the ashtray in the corner. The food was good though. 

Race Report - it was a heat advisory day and I always do relatively better when it’s hot and humid - I heat acclimate quickly. I did a longer than normal warm up and my knee didn’t bother me.  I was really happy about that. I saw some new faces at the line. When our category was called I pushed my way to the front to get in front of the newbs - I didn’t feel like getting crashed out. 

When the gun went off I went hard and hit the first hill in seventh place.  I held that up to the top of the hill, but I started wheezing like a grampus.  I had to power down by a factor of 10. I lost places steadily for the next half hour when I started being able to breathe again. I ended up with a mid pack finish, which is good enough. 

I think the exercise induced asthma is related to allergies. It was a low pollen day and it was hot and humid, so it shouldn’t have been an issue, but I have a pretty good dander allergy. I guess I’ll try to treat the allergies and see how it goes. 

Slothgirl got got out of her comfort zone and did the kid’s race.  Since she did that I got out of mine and did the adults on kid’s bike race. It was fun, lots of bumping and elbowing. No pictures because Mrs. Sloth made a new friend and was busy chatting. 

• Like 12

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

21 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

Jealous. 

It comes and goes. 10+ hrs a week of riding seems to be the key to feeling like I know what I’m doing. But every time I feel that way the universe slaps me down.  

• Sad 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

She’s learned to open the gate and has been taking herself for walks, so I guess she’s ready. 

:D There you go! She gave you the answer herself.

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As someone with points in small talk I assure you it's overrated. Whenever I have to make a small talk check I also roll for "exit conversation gracefully." 

I need that.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

19 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When the gun went off I went hard and hit the first hill in seventh place.  I held that up to the top of the hill, but I started wheezing like a grampus.  I had to power down by a factor of 10. I lost places steadily for the next half hour when I started being able to breathe again. I ended up with a mid pack finish, which is good enough. 

This sounds brutal. Finishing is its own achievement after a start like that.

I vote for short walks for Dilly. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sharpening a lawn mower isn’t that hard, but how often do you need to do it?  Might as well take it in to an old-fashioned hardware store once a year and give them $10 and save yourself the trouble. 

Never need to do it...live in a condo. Which is why I was kind of laughing that it seemed like a more accessible skill than small talk.

But I suppose there are lots of useful things I really could learn.

Really liked reading your race report and am happy that Slothgirl gave it a try. For me, going out aggresively has resulted in my fastest race times and also a lot of complete disasters. This one sounded like it worked out pretty well for you, even if it was hard.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 6/28/2018 at 10:47 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Sharpening a lawn mower isn’t that hard, but how often do you need to do it?  Might as well take it in to an old-fashioned hardware store once a year and give them $10 and save yourself the trouble. 

I always do it in the spring when I go through my lawnmower maintenance. Change the oil, clean the air filter, sharpen the blade, clean off the gunk on the bottom of the lawnmower. Takes like 30 minutes to do the whole setup and that mower still goes strong year after year. Plus any excuse to get the garage is a good excuse. :)

On 6/28/2018 at 11:07 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Props Sloth! That sounds like you did pretty good job in recovering and maintaining from an aggressive start.

• Like 1
On 6/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, The Most Loathed said:

This sounds brutal. Finishing is its own achievement after a start like that.

I vote for short walks for Dilly. 

Thanks. That’s what I’ve decided on. She seems to be handling it well. 

On 6/29/2018 at 7:10 PM, Xena said:

Never need to do it...live in a condo. Which is why I was kind of laughing that it seemed like a more accessible skill than small talk.

But I suppose there are lots of useful things I really could learn.

Really liked reading your race report and am happy that Slothgirl gave it a try. For me, going out aggresively has resulted in my fastest race times and also a lot of complete disasters. This one sounded like it worked out pretty well for you, even if it was hard.

I guess you could always sharpen things at the old-fashioned hardware stores.  Ten bucks is ten bucks. 

She usd to race when she was younger, but lately she has afraid to.  Slothboy has never been willing to race. 

In short races I should start out harder than I tend to and in long races I should start out a lot easier. 

On 6/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, Rooks said:

I always do it in the spring when I go through my lawnmower maintenance. Change the oil, clean the air filter, sharpen the blade, clean off the gunk on the bottom of the lawnmower. Takes like 30 minutes to do the whole setup and that mower still goes strong year after year. Plus any excuse to get the garage is a good excuse. :)

Props Sloth! That sounds like you did pretty good job in recovering and maintaining from an aggressive start.

Thanks. 

You’re going to make a great old man @Rooks.

• Like 3

It’s been a while since I’ve updated, which usually isn’t a good sign.  A few nights ago I got zero sleep and it has taken me a long time to get over that. I’m not as resilient to sleep deprivation as I used to be.  I have been sleeping terribly in general.  Chronic low level pain from my hips and back has been making me restless all night long. I’ve been a zombie lately. I need to tackle the pain head on I guess. 

Friday - This was a heat advisory day.  We spent the entirety of the day at a big community pool. The kids had a great time. I was going to ride afterwards, but eating garbage made the gut fairies rebel and I stayed home close to the toilet. 

Saturday - Another heat advisory day. I think it was 99F / 37C.  I think Slothboy went to the pool again with friends and Mrs. Sloth and Slothgirl ran errands to be in the air conditioning (we only have window units in the bedrooms).  I could be misremembering though. I had planned on a long ride, but my body rebelled; I did 24 miles at a recovery pace. I probably needed it because of the lack of sleep. 

Sunday - it rained and the temperatures broke. 69F / 21C felt positively chilly and I wore a hoodie. Lots of adulting was done. Mrs. Sloth and I went to a play, Lady Day, about Billie Holiday. It was good.  They had musicians of some local renown as the band and the singer was great. I really enjoyed the music, but it was not an uplifting play by any means. We went to a wurst restaurant afterwards and I had a beer that was pretty similar to pickle juice. I was still feeling beat up so I didn’t ride. 

Monday - I don’t remember what we did this day (zombie effects).  I went to do hillwork, but I had trouble finding a good hill. I hit six decent hills over 27 miles. I couldn’t really power through my left leg though. 

Tuesday - I was in full-on zombie mode today. I took a handful of ibuprofen and ended up taking a long nap in the middle of the day. I did manage to mow the lawn though. No riding because I slept through my opportunity. I’m going to yoga after I walk the dogs. 

• Like 11

Sorry about the pain. Today on the internet (source of all knowledge) I read that pain can be  caused by a Vitamin D deficiency. Sounds like you are getting sun, but if you are having gut issues, that might exacerbate it.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We went to a wurst restaurant afterwards and I had a beer that was pretty similar to pickle juice.

I can't tell if that's good or not. It doesn't sound good, but I think you like pickle juice, so  maybe...

Yeah, pretty clear that you just need some good sleep. Tell the back and the gut fairies to calm the F down, and take a good nap. Seriously, nope you feel better soon. Being a zombie is no fun.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the pain. Today on the internet (source of all knowledge) I read that pain can be  caused by a Vitamin D deficiency. Sounds like you are getting sun, but if you are having gut issues, that might exacerbate it.

Thanks. I’m out in the sun a lot, but I’m dark enough that I don’t absorb it well and the doctor makes me take a supplement  

46 minutes ago, Xena said:

I can't tell if that's good or not. It doesn't sound good, but I think you like pickle juice, so  maybe...

Yeah, pretty clear that you just need some good sleep. Tell the back and the gut fairies to calm the F down, and take a good nap. Seriously, nope you feel better soon. Being a zombie is no fun.

Hah. I do enjoy a sour beer. This was a little beyond what I prefer though. 

TBH the back and gut are my own damn fault. All I need to do is the damn yoga and stop eating like an asshole.

I took a handful of ibuprofen last night and slept better. I’ve had to do this in the past, but I took so much I got an ulcer so it’s not a good long-term solution. 

• Like 8

Sleep debt is REAL.  I never used to have a problem with it until the past few years - if I have an insomnia night where I only get 3-4 hours I'm absolutely screwed for the upcoming week.  It absolutely blows and I sympathize 100%.

(The frickin' heat doesn't help AT ALL)

Have you tried Benadryl to help knock you out a little at night?  It's also marketed by Nyquil as ZZZquil too (fun fact: ZZZquil is just liquid diphenhydramine, which is just the generic name for Benadryl, it's all the same crap save for the Brand Name Markup) and every once in a while it'll do the trick for me.

• Like 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I took a handful of ibuprofen last night and slept better. I’ve had to do this in the past, but I took so much I got an ulcer so it’s not a good long-term solution. 

The gel caps are supposed to be better for your stomach, something about they break down in the intestine, rather than the stomach, so they aren't as irritating. This was told to me first-hand by my primary care physician, FWIW.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 7/4/2018 at 12:03 PM, shaar said:

Sleep debt is REAL.  I never used to have a problem with it until the past few years - if I have an insomnia night where I only get 3-4 hours I'm absolutely screwed for the upcoming week.  It absolutely blows and I sympathize 100%.

(The frickin' heat doesn't help AT ALL)

Have you tried Benadryl to help knock you out a little at night?  It's also marketed by Nyquil as ZZZquil too (fun fact: ZZZquil is just liquid diphenhydramine, which is just the generic name for Benadryl, it's all the same crap save for the Brand Name Markup) and every once in a while it'll do the trick for me.

Over the last decades Ive tried everything. Benadryl works, buts it’s a fitful, restless sleep.  I save it for emergencies when I need to break a bad cycle. Right now GABA, l-Theanine, and ZMA are the supplements I’ve been taking and they do the trick when I’m not too achey. 

On 7/4/2018 at 3:16 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The gel caps are supposed to be better for your stomach, something about they break down in the intestine, rather than the stomach, so they aren't as irritating. This was told to me first-hand by my primary care physician, FWIW.

Thanks. I’m testing that out right now.  So far, so good. 

7 hours ago, Rooks said:

Going to? I'm just a old man masquerading in a youthful body. 

Sorry about the sleep problems and the pain. I offer no solutions, only sympathy.

It’s too bad you live on the other side of the city.  I’d totally hang out in .your garage and have a beer while you sharpen and oil your tools.

dont be sorry about the aches and pains, it’s all my fault for not doing what I need to be doing. 

• Like 2

Welp, @Rooks reminded me that I have a battle log going on.  Let’s see... I don’t think I’ll give you a full update, here’s a synopsis, family stuff has been happening as always.  It has a way of filling up the day no matter how much or how little time there is. Training has been happening, mostly punch the clock bike rides (2 hr. med pace) alternated with 1hr easy recovery rides, but no yoga or strength training.  I’ve been eating like an asshole, weight is at an all-time high since I lost it the first time - 187#.  IIRC I was down to racing weight for a tiny period in 2016, 168#.  

Let’s start fresh...

7/11/18 - Hump Day*

Kids are a circus (day) camp.  Slothgirl is super excited about her acts, which is great because for a 9 year old, she’s been a crabby teenager. 

My brother-in-law just joined Strava, so I made the trek up to Minnesota’s Bible Belt to ride his home trails and see how I compare.  I wore my stars and bars jersey to forestall any potential hassling from the locals. The ride was good.  According to Strava they weren’t my fastest laps, but they were faster than 2017 or 2015.  2016 I was almost in shape and was riding well, but my lap time was close enough for me to feel cautiously optimistic. 

I ran over a snek fren (sorry @shaar) it looked like a stick. I stopped to see if I needed to put it out of its misery, but it scurried off. Hopefully it’s fine. I also almost T-boned Bambi, but I locked up my brakes in time. I saw a guy walking out a broken collar bone at the far end of the trail. I offered to walk out his bike with him, but he said no.  I saw him an hour later and he said no again. He was wearing a nice jersey that the orderly is going to cut off :( . I caught a pedal as I pedaled around an off-camber turn and was launched off, but no harm befell me. 

I’ve started logging food in a pocket notebook. It’s not helping yet, as I tap this out I have a Mr. Misty, a hard cider, and a bucket of extra buttery popcorn to keep me company. 

Have a good day nerd friends. 

*Not a euphemism, I just saw a meme is all. 

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I ran over a snek fren (sorry @shaar) it looked like a stick. I stopped to see if I needed to put it out of its misery, but it scurried off. Hopefully it’s fine. I also almost T-boned Bambi, but I locked up my brakes in time. I saw a guy walking out a broken collar bone at the far end of the trail. I offered to walk out his bike with him, but he said no.  I saw him an hour later and he said no again. He was wearing a nice jersey that the orderly is going to cut off :( . I caught a pedal as I pedaled around an off-camber turn and was launched off, but no harm befell me. 

Next time you go up you may want to get some local religious officials to cleanse that trail first.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

OH NO SNEK.  At least he left, instead of howling in pain and dying a brutal snekdeath or something. (wait, sneks don't howl....)

JEEZ broken collarbone guy.  I'd be sobbing in a pile of my own snot probably.

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 7/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m dark enough that I don’t absorb it well and the doctor makes me take a supplement

Image result for the bronze man doc savage

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I stopped to see if I needed to put it out of its misery, but it scurried off. Hopefully it’s fine.

I heard punching one works well...

Image result for chopping a snake's head off gif

Wolf

• Haha 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Next time you go up you may want to get some local religious officials to cleanse that trail first.

It definitely could use a good smudging. I’m a little afraid that if I went into the nearest church they’d be snake handlers and they’d know what I did.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:01 PM, shaar said:

OH NO SNEK.  At least he left, instead of howling in pain and dying a brutal snekdeath or something. (wait, sneks don't howl....)

JEEZ broken collarbone guy.  I'd be sobbing in a pile of my own snot probably.

I dislocated my shoulder once and I passed out. When I woke up I just laid there for a good long time before I got up and walked off the trail. However when I dislocated a couple of knuckles I cussed and swore and rolled back and forth like a tumbleweed in a twister. 

10 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

I heard punching one works well...

Image result for chopping a snake's head off gif

Wolf

Why would anyone punch a snake? They’re our friends; they eat the varmints and critters so we don’t have to. My step-mother-in-law’s live-in partner (modern families...) just shot a friendly Kingsnake in their suburban backyard and posted it on FB. I had to restrain myself from calling him a mean fucker and getting myself unfriended. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11543217

ETA: I just saw this on FB. It seemed relevant:

• Like 4

I have a garter snake you can borrow if you want a replacement. The HVAC guys didn't want him.

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had to restrain myself from calling him a mean fucker and getting myself unfriended.

That isn't always a bad thing :P 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 7/11/2018 at 11:45 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

That sounds like quite an adventure trail you took part in!

On 7/13/2018 at 4:22 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

just shot a friendly Kingsnake in their suburban backyard

We have so many people here (not to mention traditional superstition from some groups) who kill any snake if it dares to appear! Harmless brown house snakes get their heads chopped off with spades, and they are the guys who keep the mice and geckos in check!

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."