Thanks for the shoe nerd info. As it happens, hubby and I are hitting the outlet mall tomorrow for shoes. I was thinking about the Minimus, but, hmm, your review gives me pause. I might go for the Nike Free ones again.  Amazon had Merrell Trail shoes in my size , I might go for that too.  My Nike  Free shoes can be a bit slippery too though.

I am glad that your  belly is no longer trying to kill you and your back is feeling much happier

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Oh I missed the last of the race season. While you were away I kept myself entertained with this song and thought about you racing and going the distance.

Glad the glasses are helping with your double vision. Now I know why you were so stressed out at school last year, your 25 students must have looked like 50. That would stress anyone out.

And since your gluten seem to be a popular topic on your thread I thought I would share this with you. It’s an exercise that you can do that helps you learn to engage your glutes so you take pressure off your back. And it’s not yoga, which the instructor in the video says several times, so that should be good for you. And since it only takes minutes a day to do and no special equipment you should be able to do it at school when you have a few minutes down time. There is a total of 4 videos but thought if I post the first one you should be able to find the other three.

Glad to hear your belly is not trying to kill you. Do you think it might have been the stress of last years class instead of certain foods that may have been the issue? And are you still using the inversion table and is that what is helping your back?

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

It's wild how many things stress can quietly affect when we're not even noticing.  So glad you're feeling better!  Except for the ringing; that bothers me too and it messes with my hearing. I've gotten real good at putting together context clues from other people's words when I miss some....

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I have been wearing New Balance Minimus.  I really like the low drop and the sort of moccasin-like ground feel, but they are slippery when wet.  I went to the Merrill Trail Glove.  Which is also low drop (not as low), but it has a more solid bottom almost like a normal running sneaker.

I had 2 pair of Minimuses, Minimusi, Minimum...what is the plural of Minimus? 

Anyway. Loved them for the first 3 months. Then the mesh in the upper started to disintegrate. That's when I got the second pair thinking it was just a bad shoe and I loved how they felt on my feet. 3 months later, same thing. That was a few revisions ago, but I haven't gone back. I've been doing Nike Free's lately instead (I'm on my second pair) which are nearing their end of life in terms of miles. Maybe I'll give the Merrill's a look.

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 9/27/2018 at 4:49 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This makes me so happy for you.

Thanks brother. Being able to eat whatever I want means that I’m eating whatever I want* and my weight has finally stabilized. 

*I should probably eat less dairy.

On 9/27/2018 at 4:58 PM, Starpuck said:

Yes yes!  I was thinking the same thing.   That we met via the Glove!  Hahaha.   And hey, Starbuck is who I modeled my name off of.  My first 4-5 challenges were BSG themed!   And I am wearing Viper pilot digs in my profile pic.   (I really ought to finish watching that series... I left off half way through the final season, sheez!)

Great update!   I agree with Tank on how happy I am for ya that youv'e settled into this place of being. :)     Also I would have NEVER guessed you were anywhere near 50.  Well done sir!  Well done!

Cool. I’ve olny seen the original series which did not age well. 

Thanks. I feel at least as good as I did when I was 40. 

22 hours ago, Xena said:

Only an endurance athlete (or some kind of refugee) would put those two thoughts together.

Enjoy the butterfly dog :-)

image.png.107a653cbdfbd090b6cb9d02ef7c2f6c.png

wow, it really is the same word (why is that?) and they are so cute!! I love the ears!

image.png.9a2d6052412052177001a9622218008a.png

I’d have to guess you’ve eaten a crap ton of terrible food just because it was after a long race. 

I’ll try to get a good picture of her ears. They’re magnificent. I believe it’s named butterfly after the shape of the ears. 

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks for the shoe nerd info. As it happens, hubby and I are hitting the outlet mall tomorrow for shoes. I was thinking about the Minimus, but, hmm, your review gives me pause. I might go for the Nike Free ones again.  Amazon had Merrell Trail shoes in my size , I might go for that too.  My Nike  Free shoes can be a bit slippery too though.

I am glad that your  belly is no longer trying to kill you and your back is feeling much happier

Thanks. 

I really liked Minimus, but it would be a terrible shoe for Seattle. I started with the Nike free and really liked it, but mine got shredded really fast. The Merrill’s have a really wide toe box. I think I’ll get something different next year. 

14 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Oh I missed the last of the race season. While you were away I kept myself entertained with this song and thought about you racing and going the distance.

Glad the glasses are helping with your double vision. Now I know why you were so stressed out at school last year, your 25 students must have looked like 50. That would stress anyone out.

And since your gluten seem to be a popular topic on your thread I thought I would share this with you. It’s an exercise that you can do that helps you learn to engage your glutes so you take pressure off your back. And it’s not yoga, which the instructor in the video says several times, so that should be good for you. And since it only takes minutes a day to do and no special equipment you should be able to do it at school when you have a few minutes down time. There is a total of 4 videos but thought if I post the first one you should be able to find the other three.

Glad to hear your belly is not trying to kill you. Do you think it might have been the stress of last years class instead of certain foods that may have been the issue? And are you still using the inversion table and is that what is helping your back?

Cake me is a great band. That song is one of my go-tos as I get ready for a ride. 

I’ll check out that video series, I’m always interested in waking up my glutes. 

I don’t use it very often anymore, but the inversion table was a lifesaver for my back. 

The combination of trigger foods and stress is a killer. I’ve done a bit of reading and it seems like if you have a susceptible belly you can have one or the other, but not both. 

9 hours ago, shaar said:

It's wild how many things stress can quietly affect when we're not even noticing.  So glad you're feeling better!  Except for the ringing; that bothers me too and it messes with my hearing. I've gotten real good at putting together context clues from other people's words when I miss some....

I should have also mentioned that I also had some mental health issues dealt with. Which is another thing that has a negative cascade effect on your health. 

I’ve had tinnitus since the 80’s when I saw The Cure in the third row behind the amps at a stadium show. It doesn’t really bother me much anymore, but, like you, I have trouble understanding speech. 

5 hours ago, jstanlick said:

I had 2 pair of Minimuses, Minimusi, Minimum...what is the plural of Minimus? 

Anyway. Loved them for the first 3 months. Then the mesh in the upper started to disintegrate. That's when I got the second pair thinking it was just a bad shoe and I loved how they felt on my feet. 3 months later, same thing. That was a few revisions ago, but I haven't gone back. I've been doing Nike Free's lately instead (I'm on my second pair) which are nearing their end of life in terms of miles. Maybe I'll give the Merrill's a look.

If it’s Latin I’d guess Minimi. I got a good year of hard use out of them and then they fell apart fast. I had two pair of frees that I only got 6 months out of. I’m still looking for the perfect trail runner. 

————

I am really enjoying teaching again, but we have a brand new math teacher again and she is drowning. I need to figure out how I can support her. 

I was roped in to mentoring a pre-K student. I found her wandering the school and brought her back. She’s a runner. She decided I was her friend. All I have to do is stop in and have lunch with them occasionally. It’s the best thing I do all day. 

Still no fitnessing. When I got home the giant ear dog came home and wanted to snuggle after her surgery. Instead I lay on the couch with her while playing Civilization and drinking a sour ale. It was a nice afternoon. 

• Like 7

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

4 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I really liked Minimus, but it would be a terrible shoe for Seattle. I started with the Nike free and really liked it, but mine got shredded really fast. The Merrill’s have a really wide toe box. I think I’ll get something different next year. 

I decided to go with the Nike Frees . Mine have held up pretty good, they are a bit slick on the bottom. The New Balance store at the outlet didn't carry Minimus, and the ones at the mall didn't come in Pixie size.:smile-new: I could have ordered it, or bought the Merrell's online, but  since I found some Nike Free shoes that fit , I went with that. 

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I got my first pair of trail running shoes this year.  I got some Altra King-MTs which have a very wide toe box and zero drop and so far I have been very happy with them

AFM1752G_Blue_shoe1.png

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 9/28/2018 at 9:11 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’d have to guess you’ve eaten a crap ton of terrible food just because it was after a long race. 

oh yes! If I have time the day before a marathon, I make sure to buy hostess cupcakes, a bag of potato chips and big bottle of coke. It's a wonderful feeling to hobble back to the hotel, take a shower, get into bed and eat every crumb of that crap while watching Law and Order reruns or some kind of reality TV. I might in fact be doing exactly that on Sunday afternoon :-)

On 9/28/2018 at 9:11 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I am really enjoying teaching again, but we have a brand new math teacher again and she is drowning. I need to figure out how I can support her. 

I was roped in to mentoring a pre-K student. I found her wandering the school and brought her back. She’s a runner. She decided I was her friend. All I have to do is stop in and have lunch with them occasionally. It’s the best thing I do all day. 

Still no fitnessing. When I got home the giant ear dog came home and wanted to snuggle after her surgery. Instead I lay on the couch with her while playing Civilization and drinking a sour ale. It was a nice afternoon. 

Love all three parts of this.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

12 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I got my first pair of trail running shoes this year.  I got some Altra King-MTs which have a very wide toe box and zero drop and so far I have been very happy with them

AFM1752G_Blue_shoe1.png

I've become a big fan of Altra's too. I have the Torin for road running and just got the Lone Peak for trail. The trail shoes are brand new, and I haven't tried them yet.

In case there are any new runners reading this, I feel obligated to make a disclaimer. If you are new to running or haven't run in a zero drop shoe before, transition very gradually. It can take your body a while to adjust and it's easy to get injured (not targeting this at the people who have already been posting, just don't know if others might be reading this and decide to follow suit).

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I shall squee unapologetically.

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

***Alert***

Sloth has resumed DDP Yoga and Shovelglove.

No action is required.

[mass hysteria]

• Like 2

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

***Alert***

No action is required.

I shall not squee, but instead give a mighty pirate YARRR. Pirate Yoga FTW! Glad I could inspire you to return to yoga with my uplifting log posts (maybe).

And shovelgloving just in time for the Hammer Race next weekend. May the two of you become well acquainted by then.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Shovelglove.

I had to look this up. Suddenly the thread title makes added sense... :D

Forgive me, I'm new. :P

• Like 2

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

On 10/4/2018 at 9:02 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
On 10/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

***Alert***

No action is required.

You'll forgive me if I squee a little.

I totally want to get on board this train... damnit.  Need clones to keep up with the wants.

• Like 3

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

I remember when I thought shovelglove was a literal shovel on a glove and you went outside and dug around in the ground with your hands, your SHOVELGLOVES, to dig holes for whatever one would need a lot of holes for.

Ah, memories.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 9/28/2018 at 8:11 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I am really enjoying teaching again

I could have done a full-stop here and it might have been the best thing I read all day.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:11 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

This was a close second.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

***Alert***

No action is required.

Also in the running.

Also: yesterday I bike-chased my friend from starting corral to finish line as he ran his first Twin Cities Marathon. My back is not happy with me today. I have the utmost respect for you.

• Like 2

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

18 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth, “Isn’t the Hammer Race this weekend?  Have you even been running at all?”

Mrs Sloth  is a wise woman:smile-new:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rooks said:

She should have included "@The Most Loathed is going to destroy you at the race."

I really haven't seen enough banter between you two to be satisfied. Get to it.

I decided that this year is a re-building year and I'm sitting the fall out. 

The spring will be mine.

• Like 2

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter