On 10/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, Shello said:

Worse than last year?  Yeah, every last bit of jealousy has dissipated.  

I didn't say I was opposed to it... especially since the alternative is being thrown off a wall.  

When I said worse, I thought you’d say, “that makes it even more awesome! I can’t wait for the spring race!”  They said it’d be the same course next time. Which means there’ll be plenty of opportunities for ass grabbing, I mean assisting each other. 

23 hours ago, Xena said:

"yoga"??

Verbing (denominalizing) Yoga is legitimate. 

3 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I'm bummed that I missed the atlas stone carry. One more thing I can school most folks on. The spring race is mine!

That stone wouldn’t even have phased you. It was only 14”. You would have been the odds-on favorite if you had shown up. 

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

10/18/18 Thursday

I played around with different body weight circuits today. I’m trying to figure out my winter plan. If I were being honest with myself I’d say I was procrastinating the real work.

Tentative plan is to do a leg-centric Bodyweight circuit followed by a shovelglove finisher. I’m not entirely sold on it though. 

Today was teacher convention. I caught up on some work and went shopping to refurb some of my science kits. 

We were going to go camping (very near @EricMN‘s house), but it was booked up, as were the other campgrounds close enough for us to drive back in for dance & circus classes. Last year we were just about the only people camping. 

Instead we are staycationing. Today we spent a big chunk of time at a playground, went to the library for a couple dozen books (I picked up the Reifkind KB book), and cooked over the fire.  It’s only 8:30, but as soon as I finish my cider I’m going to bed. 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

That rip row reminds me of a vasa trainer (from my swimmer days)

I googled it to see if such a thing still exists. It does exist and it is WAY more complicated than it used to be

https://vasatrainer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6suI47GS3gIVXLnACh2_pwwXEAAYASAAEgIKWfD_BwE

Now it's a full on swim erg. It used to be you could just pull yourself up and down in a plane. Now it has a whole swimming arm motion.

Wow, the exercise gadget people have been busy.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

The rip row looks like it belongs next to the thigh master. I seriously doubt you need that thing to train yourself to go around corners. If you didn't have that figured out by now you'd be wiping out every other ride. As for the other stuff, I don't see how it's any better than shoveglove. If you want to throw money away, use it on another frame or some bike parts.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

12 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

When I said worse, I thought you’d say, “that makes it even more awesome! I can’t wait for the spring race!”  They said it’d be the same course next time. Which means there’ll be plenty of opportunities for ass grabbing, I mean assisting each other. 

Yeah, no.  The terrain killed me last time.  Perhaps I'll be more excited for it when I am fitter.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

If I had better photoshop/video editing skills, I would totally wreak havoc on the rip row video, mwuahaha.    I agree with Tank ™ on you not needing one of those thingies.    Plenty of regular old exercises will probably offer the same muscle training help.   Dig deep into the internet.  (Just don't go too deep.  That's dangerous.)

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Whether the rip row is a good piece of exercise equipment remains to be seen but it does look like a socially acceptable way to play on one of these as a grown ass adult and I can definitely get behind that because these things are fun. 

Image result for playground rocker ride

• Like 2

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

So I finally got around to watching the Rip Row machine video. Two things stood out for me. One, is there a need for the seat on that thing? I suppose you could sit on it but then it just becomes a big toy that rocks from side to side. Which leads to the second thing, he calls it an unstable platform but it can only rock from side to side and it seems not very far at that. You would do better getting a bosu ball and doing deadlifts on that (or yoga hint hint). It really just looks like an unstable clothes hanger in the making.

I was kind of surprised when you said that drone footage of the Hammer Race was of the “elite” athletes because by the first hundred yards the field really spread out and the back of the pack seemed to hardly be going faster than a brisk walk. Of course knowing nothing of these events maybe they were pacing themselves.

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

15 hours ago, Bearlee said:

This randomly came up as a suggested video in YouTube and was wondering how accurate it was. It’s different and if you don’t have time to watch it, whatever.

Pretty sure Sloth himself has posted this video at some point. I love that I've picked up a whole new language just by reading NF threads. Very efficient use of time when you think of it that way :-)

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

On 10/19/2018 at 6:23 AM, Xena said:

That rip row reminds me of a vasa trainer (from my swimmer days)

I googled it to see if such a thing still exists. It does exist and it is WAY more complicated than it used to be

https://vasatrainer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6suI47GS3gIVXLnACh2_pwwXEAAYASAAEgIKWfD_BwE

Now it's a full on swim erg. It used to be you could just pull yourself up and down in a plane. Now it has a whole swimming arm motion.

Wow, the exercise gadget people have been busy.

I was like, “That thing is lame.”  Then I saw the kayaking attachment and I was all, “Whoa. Take my money.”

On 10/19/2018 at 8:11 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The rip row looks like it belongs next to the thigh master. I seriously doubt you need that thing to train yourself to go around corners. If you didn't have that figured out by now you'd be wiping out every other ride. As for the other stuff, I don't see how it's any better than shoveglove. If you want to throw money away, use it on another frame or some bike parts.

I wish I had a thigh master. Those are the muscles that get used up and cramp during a long ride in rugged terrain. 

My cornering is terribad. I’ve been working on it for a couple years and I still suck. I’m intrigued by the muscle patterning for going up and down drops. 

But you’re right. I’m probably better off being consistent with KBs. *sigh*

On 10/19/2018 at 8:17 AM, Shello said:

Yeah, no.  The terrain killed me last time.  Perhaps I'll be more excited for it when I am fitter.  

So after a winter up and down death hill you’ll be excited for it. 

On 10/19/2018 at 9:22 AM, Starpuck said:

If I had better photoshop/video editing skills, I would totally wreak havoc on the rip row video, mwuahaha.    I agree with Tank ™ on you not needing one of those thingies.    Plenty of regular old exercises will probably offer the same muscle training help.   Dig deep into the internet.  (Just don't go too deep.  That's dangerous.)

*sigh*. But I wanna buy the useless gadget. 

On 10/19/2018 at 9:27 AM, deftona said:

Whether the rip row is a good piece of exercise equipment remains to be seen but it does look like a socially acceptable way to play on one of these as a grown ass adult and I can definitely get behind that because these things are fun. 

Image result for playground rocker ride

Those are fun. I ride them when I take the kids to the park. 

19 hours ago, Bearlee said:

So I finally got around to watching the Rip Row machine video. Two things stood out for me. One, is there a need for the seat on that thing? I suppose you could sit on it but then it just becomes a big toy that rocks from side to side. Which leads to the second thing, he calls it an unstable platform but it can only rock from side to side and it seems not very far at that. You would do better getting a bosu ball and doing deadlifts on that (or yoga hint hint). It really just looks like an unstable clothes hanger in the making.

I was kind of surprised when you said that drone footage of the Hammer Race was of the “elite” athletes because by the first hundred yards the field really spread out and the back of the pack seemed to hardly be going faster than a brisk walk. Of course knowing nothing of these events maybe they were pacing themselves.

The seat eat is not needed. 

Maybe it wasn’t. I didn’t see the footage, I was assuming. But there was a small elite wave, a team wave, one full wave of regular folks, and a tiny last wave. 

Our wave took off at a reasonable pace, what I would call my all-day jog pace. 

16 hours ago, Bearlee said:

Ha ha ha. This randomly came up as a suggested video in YouTube and was wondering how accurate it was. It’s different and if you don’t have time to watch it, whatever.

This might require a long answer. 

That came out in the mid-80’s on the local public TV channel. As an aside, they played it every pledge week from then until I stopped having a TV. You’d be excited for Dr. Who and it would come on.  Every time. Followed by the Woodstock movie. Fucking Baby Boomers. Move on already. 

Anyways.  Even then it was becoming an anachronism, but it was still common enough that it was funny. Today Minnesota dialect  is all but extinct. Although if you went up on the range and saw a guy in a MAGA hat, he’d probably be speaking Minnesotan.

the Minnesotan whatever (resignation) died when the American whatever (derision) took over. You don’t hear it all anymore.

the negative for a positive (not too bad, etc.) is used by folks 50 and over, but not by younger folks. This is why you can’t get @EricMN to take a compliment on his badassery. 

There is still a lot of Hotdish. Asking three times is a thing. This is a second-hand story. A guy was in Greg Lemond’s garage with his clapped out bike. Greg had a bunch of new bike samples. Greg asked him if he wanted a new bike and the guy said, “No, I get by fine on this.”  And Greg dropped it, not being a native. 

When I was a kid I would have been shocked to see people hugging in public. Now, not so much. 

The Minnesota goodbye is horrible. I have literally said goodbye, laid down and taken a nap waiting for my wife to finish saying goodbye, woken up, and still had to wait for the goodbye to finish. 

When I was a teacher’s aid I worked in a suburb that was a small town that was engulfed in sprawl. Most of the teachers grew up there and about 95% of the kids were blond. The teachers all spoke Minnesotan and they didn’t take to me until I started playing up my accent. I even started using “Uffda”. It’s another inner-ring suburb these days. 

I still say things like, “I wouldn’t say no to that.” When I mean yes. 

To finally answer your question, not so much anymore.  

47 minutes ago, Xena said:

Pretty sure Sloth himself has posted this video at some point. I love that I've picked up a whole new language just by reading NF threads. Very efficient use of time when you think of it that way :-)

I’ve for sure posted the power of the negative segment. Being able to converse with you freely isn’t the worse thing that could happen. 

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This might require a long answer. 

That came out in the mid-80’s on the local public TV channel. As an aside, they played it every pledge week from then until I stopped having a TV. You’d be excited for Dr. Who and it would come on.  Every time. Followed by the Woodstock movie. Fucking Baby Boomers. Move on already. 

Anyways.  Even then it was becoming an anachronism, but it was still common enough that it was funny. Today Minnesota dialect  is all but extinct. Although if you went up on the range and saw a guy in a MAGA hat, he’d probably be speaking Minnesotan.

the Minnesotan whatever (resignation) died when the American whatever (derision) took over. You don’t hear it all anymore.

the negative for a positive (not too bad, etc.) is used by folks 50 and over, but not by younger folks. This is why you can’t get @EricMN to take a compliment on his badassery. 

There is still a lot of Hotdish. Asking three times is a thing. This is a second-hand story. A guy was in Greg Lemond’s garage with his clapped out bike. Greg had a bunch of new bike samples. Greg asked him if he wanted a new bike and the guy said, “No, I get by fine on this.”  And Greg dropped it, not being a native. 

When I was a kid I would have been shocked to see people hugging in public. Now, not so much. 

The Minnesota goodbye is horrible. I have literally said goodbye, laid down and taken a nap waiting for my wife to finish saying goodbye, woken up, and still had to wait for the goodbye to finish. 

When I was a teacher’s aid I worked in a suburb that was a small town that was engulfed in sprawl. Most of the teachers grew up there and about 95% of the kids were blond. The teachers all spoke Minnesotan and they didn’t take to me until I started playing up my accent. I even started using “Uffda”. It’s another inner-ring suburb these days. 

I still say things like, “I wouldn’t say no to that.” When I mean yes. 

To finally answer your question, not so much anymore.  

Huh, you did it. You magnificent bastard, you have made this clear for those who are not from around here. Well done

• Haha 1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I never realized Uffda was a Minnesotan thing.  Me and my sister in law say that one pretty often!

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

Most of what I know about Minnesota I learned either from Sloth or Garrison Keilor. 

And that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where the women are strong, the men are good looking and the children are above average.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Here’s my afternoon/evening. 

Today’s the day I skip out of school before anyone notices and get the kids for circus class. 

I get to the kid’s school and Slothboy is at parent pick up, but Slothgirl isn’t. Okay, she must have gotten on the bus by mistake. 

I drive to the bus stop. Slothgirl doesn’t get off the bus. I call the school, she isn’t there. The teacher swears she sent her to pick up and  she didn’t get on the bus. This makes me a bit nervous. Slothgirl is growing up in the city but has no street smarts. 

After some calling around and 20 minutes transportation found that she was still on her bus. The driver will drop her off after her run is done.

We’re waiting at the stop for a half hour or so. Just before the bus gets here Slothboy says he has to go to the bathroom really badly. If I knew how close the bus was I’d have made him wait. 

Instead I let him in my school (bus stop is across the street). Slothgirl gets off the bus crying. She didn’t know what to do once she realized her mistake so she didn’t do anything. Including not getting off the bus. She knows the emergency plan but didn’t know to implement it. 

We we go in the school to get Slothboy. It’s a big confusing school. He isn’t back. I figure he’s lost. I walk the entire school. No one has seen a strange or lost kid. I make an announcement from the office. Nothing. It’s been about a half hour. 

The school is locked down, someone has to let you in and out. I decide to see if he walked home somehow and there he is. Sitting in the car reading. He got lost and a teacher let him out a different door and he walked home. 

It was a bit stressful. Now I’m a couple beers into the evening and we didn’t get to circus and I didn’t get my workout in. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Jittersthe.Clown said:

Huh, you did it. You magnificent bastard, you have made this clear for those who are not from around here. Well done

Hah. I probably could have been more concise. 

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I never realized Uffda was a Minnesotan thing.  Me and my sister in law say that one pretty often!

Well, you’d fit in just fine around here. I thought Uffda was strictly Minnesotan. Like Duck, Duck, Grey Duck. Goose is Gris Duck in Swedish. 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Most of what I know about Minnesota I learned either from Sloth or Garrison Keilor. 

And that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where the women are strong, the men are good looking and the children are above average.

Garrison Keiler grew up one town over from me. His son went to school with a bunch of my friends. One of whom is dating him now. By all accounts he’s not the nicest fellow you’ll meet. 

Lake Wobegon seems like it’s a pretty accurate depiction of Minnesota in the 60’s. 

• Like 1

I’m going to steal @Xena ‘s structure until I get back in the zone. 

W: Take measurements to set a current baseline. 

DDP Yoga and my mashup workout. 

Sort out savings account. 

Get prizes for school. 

Th: DDP Yoga and tire pulling when I walk the dog. 

Grade notebooks. 

Order tix for Mrs. Sloth. 

Fr: DDP Yoga and mashup workout. 

Plan for next week. 

Sa: go for a ride weather permitting. 

Get nice bottle of something for bike shop and order stuff if possible.

Family fun. 

Su: go for a ride weather permitting. 

Family fun. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Here’s my afternoon/evening. 

Today’s the day I skip out of school before anyone notices and get the kids for circus class. 

I get to the kid’s school and Slothboy is at parent pick up, but Slothgirl isn’t. Okay, she must have gotten on the bus by mistake. 

I drive to the bus stop. Slothgirl doesn’t get off the bus. I call the school, she isn’t there. The teacher swears she sent her to pick up and  she didn’t get on the bus. This makes me a bit nervous. Slothgirl is growing up in the city but has no street smarts. 

After some calling around and 20 minutes transportation found that she was still on her bus. The driver will drop her off after her run is done.

We’re waiting at the stop for a half hour or so. Just before the bus gets here Slothboy says he has to go to the bathroom really badly. If I knew how close the bus was I’d have made him wait. 

Instead I let him in my school (bus stop is across the street). Slothgirl gets off the bus crying. She didn’t know what to do once she realized her mistake so she didn’t do anything. Including not getting off the bus. She knows the emergency plan but didn’t know to implement it. 

We we go in the school to get Slothboy. It’s a big confusing school. He isn’t back. I figure he’s lost. I walk the entire school. No one has seen a strange or lost kid. I make an announcement from the office. Nothing. It’s been about a half hour. 

The school is locked down, someone has to let you in and out. I decide to see if he walked home somehow and there he is. Sitting in the car reading. He got lost and a teacher let him out a different door and he walked home. 

It was a bit stressful. Now I’m a couple beers into the evening and we didn’t get to circus and I didn’t get my workout in. 

That would have had me chewing nails.  Glad everyone found their way to right place eventually

On 10/23/2018 at 9:40 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I even started using “Uffda”.

I have never heard of this and can't, for the life of me, guess what it could mean

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 10/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Being able to converse with you freely isn’t the worse thing that could happen. 

not so terrible ;-)

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don’t have that second box of Nutty Buddies to tempt me any more. 

Whatever you had to do to get rid of those was clearly a brilliant move.

Geez, that school pick-up situation sounded terrible.

Happy to see tire pulling back on the list.

Oct/Nov 2016

God, the sinking feeling when you're looking for your kid(s) and they're gone... face-screaming-in-fear_1f631.png

Glad to see it all turned out alright. Man, the stress that must've caused... :o

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Your school pick up story gave me anxiety just reading it!    Props for surviving that Sloth!!

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler