23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve stopped wearing wrist guards, this way the slamming of the bell into my wrists makes it obvious when I should shut it down.  

That's.. not a bad idea at all! 

Glad you're fine after doing a dive over your handle bars. :D nice red scrapes, clean. 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Sloth Boy running up and down the beach looking for the owner of the glassed made me smile! Such a good kind move. I wonder who taught him that!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

On 7/16/2021 at 7:25 PM, Elastigirl said:

What a sweet thing to do!

Yeah, he’s a pretty nice kid.  

On 7/17/2021 at 2:11 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like that apple didn't fall far from the tree :) 

Hah. Thanks.  

On 7/17/2021 at 5:08 PM, KB Girl said:

That's.. not a bad idea at all! 

Glad you're fine after doing a dive over your handle bars. :D nice red scrapes, clean. 

I thought you would think it was stupid.   I had five scrapes about the size of a Euro coin and four are healing cleanly and one is a bit infected.  

13 hours ago, cn3wton said:

Sloth Boy running up and down the beach looking for the owner of the glassed made me smile! Such a good kind move. I wonder who taught him that!

😇 Thanks. I think all kids start out good like that and are taught not to be.  

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

The last two or three days have been hard breathing days so I haven’t done a whole lot. I’m not sure why, there don’t seem to be any triggers unless 90% humidity is one.  

I had a snatch day- 8X7/7 at 12 kg.  It felt good.  

We went to a real museum and the Museum of the Bizarre.  The bizarre museum was a small warehouse-sized room crammed full of weird stuff, like “alien” skulls and the Fiji mermaid and movie props.  It was well worth the $3 admission.  

Here’s a pic of Slothboy and me with a giant sloth skeleton. 

05B1A0E5-AE42-4D86-95AD-4F92C1AE1E17.jpeg

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

On 7/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

While we were at it we went to the historic district and walked about.  It occurred to me that Shello did more here in a day or two than we did in a week.  In the evening we walked to the boardwalk to eat pizza and listen to a cover band.  They were decent.  

Perhaps, but we always come home from vacation exhausted.   Did you get pizza at the Mellow Mushroom?   I recommend it.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

I love nature museums!  I've never seen a giant sloth skeleton; that's pretty awesome.

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We went to a real museum and the Museum of the Bizarre.  The bizarre museum was a small warehouse-sized room crammed full of weird stuff, like “alien” skulls and the Fiji mermaid and movie props.  It was well worth the $3 admission.  

That sounds awesome and like it would be a ton of fun! The big skeleton is cool. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Found you!

I forgot about battle logs. I haven't figured out the notification system on the new NF platform, so I have to remember to check if people have posted.

Your vacation sounds great, aside from a few bumps here and there. Your bike distances are already getting longer - way to go!

Dumbledore has started biking again and I got my bike fixed. We are planning on going biking in Duluth next week.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

On 7/20/2021 at 6:07 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I thought you would think it was stupid.   I had five scrapes about the size of a Euro coin and four are healing cleanly and one is a bit infected.  

Of course not. I've done my fair share of bike accidents, I've done a dive over the handle bars at least once. Oh twice, when I was a kid I did this dive over my handle bars straight onto a parked car :) When you use 'em everyday it's inevitable. Also I like to ride my bike without using hands. 

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Geez, it’s been a while again. I’m still on vacation.  Doing a lot of nothing.  The humid air feels depleted of oxygen so that helps the doing nothing.  

I’ve thrown the KB around three times since I last reported and gone on a couple of 14 mile rides, but my gps quit working so I don’t have a record of them.  

ETA: I looked up an anti-inflammation diet.  NO fried foods, NO sugar, NO simple carbs, limited red meat, limited processed food.  I guess starving is anti-inflammatory.  

Peace out nerd friends.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA: I looked up an anti-inflammation diet.  NO fried foods, NO sugar, NO simple carbs, limited red meat, limited processed food.  I guess starving is anti-inflammatory.  

Sounds miserable :( 

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This does leave a lot of room for chicken and seafood, but if you don't like those, that would be a problem. Does pork count as red meat?

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'd call it paleo to make myself feel better, but paleo allows for red meat. Maybe if you cut out the other stuff, your body could handle the red meat. I'm not convinced it's as inflammatory as the other stuff, but I'm not a meatologist.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

My sister in law was struggling with Covid long haul symptoms. She started following Dr Terry Wahl's protocol (lots of veggies, limited sugar) and it helped.  All the no's in the starving diet would be hard, maybe just limiting the inflammatory stuff? 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd call it paleo to make myself feel better, but paleo allows for red meat. Maybe if you cut out the other stuff, your body could handle the red meat. I'm not convinced it's as inflammatory as the other stuff, but I'm not a meatologist.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

My sister in law was struggling with Covid long haul symptoms. She started following Dr Terry Wahl's protocol (lots of veggies, limited sugar) and it helped.  All the no's in the starving diet would be hard, maybe just limiting the inflammatory stuff? 

I believe I have eaten enough meat to be an amateur meatologist, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say odds are good high-veggie paleo would be a damned good approximation, if not better. A lot of bodies like red meat a ton.  The "carnivore for health reasons" guys eat a ton of beef because they find it's the least reactive meat and the body responds best to it. (I'm betting that study has a hidden co-factor on the red meat that wasn't accounted for.) And if you fry it yourself in a pan, preferably in a good quality oil like butter, olive, coconut, etc., I'd say go nuts. Just avoid the battered, soybean-oil fried things.

And paleo's pretty delicious. I do love me some paleo.

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

42 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I believe I have eaten enough meat to be an amateur meatologist, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say odds are good high-veggie paleo would be a damned good approximation, if not better. A lot of bodies like red meat a ton.  The "carnivore for health reasons" guys eat a ton of beef because they find it's the least reactive meat and the body responds best to it. (I'm betting that study has a hidden co-factor on the red meat that wasn't accounted for.) And if you fry it yourself in a pan, preferably in a good quality oil like butter, olive, coconut, etc., I'd say go nuts. Just avoid the battered, soybean-oil fried things.

And paleo's pretty delicious. I do love me some paleo.

I really wonder how much the anti-red-meat bias is based on Sugar Growers' Fat-is-Bad propaganda.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I really wonder how much the anti-red-meat bias is based on Sugar Growers' Fat-is-Bad propaganda.

Red meat gets it from the Ansel Keys fake science fat-is-bad side, sugar and grain lobbies, and from the magical thinking veganism-is-spiritually-pure-and-cures-everything side. (Ansel Keys in particular has a lot to answer for, when it comes to the science of meat and fat.) But it's one of the few foods that a large number of human populations in different parts of the world have used almost exclusively as a staple food for some parts of their history. And there ain't nothing unhealthy about the Masaai, the pre-clearance highlanders, or the pre-Western Inuit, to name three different ethnic groups on different continents who all thrived on red meat. Herding and hunting cultures are infamously healthy, far healthier than agricultural cultures.

Anyway, here's a little pro-red-meat science for today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Red meat gets it from the Ansel Keys fake science fat-is-bad side, sugar and grain lobbies, and from the magical thinking veganism-is-spiritually-pure-and-cures-everything side. (Ansel Keys in particular has a lot to answer for, when it comes to the science of meat and fat.) But it's one of the few foods that a large number of human populations in different parts of the world have used almost exclusively as a staple food for some parts of their history. And there ain't nothing unhealthy about the Masaai, the pre-clearance highlanders, or the pre-Western Inuit, to name three different ethnic groups on different continents who all thrived on red meat. Herding and hunting cultures are infamously healthy, far healthier than agricultural cultures.

Anyway, here's a little pro-red-meat science for today.

The abstract validates my love of venison.

Current Challenge

It's also because all red meat gets lobbed together in observational studies. Someone who eats out a lot, burgers, pasta, the works and someone who eats paleo would get lobbed together as red meat eaters in comparing health outcomes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It's also because all red meat gets lobbed together in observational studies. Someone who eats out a lot, burgers, pasta, the works and someone who eats paleo would get lobbed together as red meat eaters in comparing health outcomes.

Yeah, that's what I mean by confounding co-factors. Someone who's eating a lot of McDonalds is eating a lot of red meat and fried foods and tons of soybean oil and probably high fructose corn syrup, and no doubt showing inflammation. And if they overwhelm the people going home and eating a steak and a salad they made themselves and basically none of the other risk factors, red meat's not going to be well controlled for as a separate variable. I'd bet a lot of the red meat in the country gets eaten as fast food burgers and tacos. Ideally, even an observational study should be able to control for factors like "are there several inflammatory factors going on here at once, and how can I separate them out individually", and in the case of fast food, there clearly are multiple factors, but I doubt the number of homemade beef stews and steaks is enough to make it easy to get past the amount of fast food or eating out in general.

After Ansel Keys, it's hard not to talk about the fact that sometimes studies don't want to control for that stuff, because they think they know the answer. And it's also sort of a chicken and egg problem; with the Keys-trained nutritionists telling people red meat is bad for decades, most health-conscious people are eating a lot less of it than they used to, and are leaning towards chicken and fish. So the people eating the most red meat these days are the people with the most other problems in their diet and the least exercise in their life and so on. That makes it look like red meat is part of the problem, because the healthiest people eat the least red meat, but it doesn't tell you that they're healthy because they eat less red meat. It could just as easily be a bad reputation causing a selection bias. I guarantee you that the healthiest people also own the most spandex, but spandex doesn't make you healthy. Fat people drink the most diet soda, but diet soda doesn't make you fat. That's just selection bias, too.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

So the people eating the most red meat these days are the people with the most other problems in their diet and the least exercise in their life and so on. That makes it look like red meat is part of the problem, because the healthiest people eat the least red meat, but it doesn't tell you that they're healthy because they eat less red meat. It could just as easily be a bad reputation causing a selection bias.

Correlation ≠ Causation - Album on Imgur

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 1:52 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

starving

You can still eat dry chicken breast and steamed broccoli.  Every meal.  Forever.

• Sad 2
  • Angry on your Behalf 1

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill