I gotta say seeing you back here when I checked in has been a huge motivator. Im glad to see you back to somewhat consistent posting!

Think youll ever drag a tire down the sidewalk again?!?!

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

On 1/22/2022 at 9:44 PM, Novaurora said:

I could not agree more.  My favorite infinite loop is forgetting my ADHD meds for a few days because I'm running late in the morning and don't eat, or a dog has peed or puked on the floor and my morning routine is the thrown all off and whatever.  And then remembering to get back on them when you are going down the rabbit hole of being off meds

ADHD meds needing to be taken at a specific time is a cruel joke.  I'm always surprised at the end of the month when Walgreens tells me it's time to renew and I still have a pile of pills left.

On 1/23/2022 at 1:08 PM, DJtrippyT said:

also valid for depression/mood things. I've worked with more than one person with serious issues who took their medication for a few days, felt better, decided they didn't need the medicine, and their stability swan-dived. And they'd repeat this pattern ad infinitum. 

Glad you're on the trainer, Sloth. I have to set mine up. 

Dude, it's like 60 in Atlanta.  Go outside.

Yeah, I've done that with my brain meds.  My doctor finally convinced me to assume I'm taking them forever.

4 hours ago, cn3wton said:

I gotta say seeing you back here when I checked in has been a huge motivator. Im glad to see you back to somewhat consistent posting!

Think youll ever drag a tire down the sidewalk again?!?!

Hey Brother.  Good seeing you.  You always did like the weird workouts.

I actually dusted off the harness the other day.  I thought tire pulling while I walked the dogs would be a good way to get a little extra aerobic fitness in, but I don't think I'm ready for two a days yet.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Sunday 1/23/2022

I found out Saturday and Sunday were bad air days, which might explain the poor workouts (might be accumulated fatigue too).  I guess if I'm going to be asthmatic I should pay attention to these things.  Apparently I was a bit gaspy because Mrs. Sloth threatened to take me to the hospital.  

KB Strength

Warm Up Circuit

Get Ups 2X1/1 at 12kg

The get ups were wobbly so I shut it down.  I like get ups because I hate get ups, but they're nice because they're like a circuit breaker, if I can't do them well I know I'm underrecovered or overtired and shouldn't do a KB workout.  I also move better and feel sturdier if I'm doing them.

I was reading an interview with a Russian kettlebeller and he thought it was ridiculous that we did get ups.  He thought it would be time better spent doing 100 clean and jerks.  I obviously thought of @KB Girl

I had my first bout of insomnia in a long-ass time - a sure sign that I'm healing - and I'm driving Slothboy all over tonight, so I don't think I'll get a workout in except for a little shoveling - probably a little ice scraping at this point.

Found the theme song of my last 18 months.

That's all I got, Peace Out Nerd Friends.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

14 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I found out Saturday and Sunday were bad air days, which might explain the poor workouts (might be accumulated fatigue too).  I guess if I'm going to be asthmatic I should pay attention to these things.  Apparently I was a bit gaspy because Mrs. Sloth threatened to take me to the hospital.  

I use the app AirVisual, since it gets data from more than one sensor per zip code area. And  no, I do not go out if the air quality is bad. At all. And yes, it does make a difference to pay attention and adjust things accordingly... from whether to go outside or not, to how often I use the rescue inhaler. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

20 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Apparently I was a bit gaspy because Mrs. Sloth threatened to take me to the hospital.  

hamster-gasp.gif.2224da29e02714ccb31bacfee3102d24.gif

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

13 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The get ups were wobbly so I shut it down.  I like get ups because I hate get ups, but they're nice because they're like a circuit breaker, if I can't do them well I know I'm underrecovered or overtired and shouldn't do a KB workout.  I also move better and feel sturdier if I'm doing them.

Ok this is the first time I've heard of a good reasonable reason to do get ups. Other than showing off lifting your tiny girl friend. 

I was reading an interview with a Russian kettlebeller and he thought it was ridiculous that we did get ups.  He thought it would be time better spent doing 100 clean and jerks.  I obviously thought of @KB Girl

Dude sounds smart. Who was it? 

I had my first bout of insomnia in a long-ass time - a sure sign that I'm healing

That is the most positive spin on insomnia ever. 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

good reasonable reason to do get ups. Other than showing off lifting your tiny girl friend.

What's wrong with showing off? 

...but seriously - are get ups really THAT bad? What makes them bad? I enjoy doing them, am I a lost cause? 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

10 minutes ago, aramis said:

Nothing, that’s why it’s the other reasonable reason to do them.

10 minutes ago, aramis said:

...but seriously - are get ups really THAT bad? What makes them bad? I enjoy doing them, am I a lost cause? 

Nah, I guess enjoying them would be an actual good reason to do them. They’re not bad. My problem with them is just that they’re more a party trick than helping you get better/stronger/more mobile. They’re very good for displaying your strength and mobility, just not very efficient at helping you get stronger and more mobile. Not that you won’t get stronger or more mobile from doing them, just not very efficiently.

• Thanks 1

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Nah, I guess enjoying them would be an actual good reason to do them. They’re not bad. My problem with them is just that they’re more a party trick than helping you get better/stronger/more mobile. They’re very good for displaying your strength and mobility, just not very efficient at helping you get stronger and more mobile. Not that you won’t get stronger or more mobile from doing them, just not very efficiently.

So, what would be more efficient? I'm not doing them now, but you know I did them for a long time. To me, they felt life changing. Training to  hold a kettlebell for a sustained amount of time  and lift it over my head, gave me  strength  to  lift things over my head. Before them, I was losing the ability to lift even light things over head. I don't think I could have started out with jerks. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

So, what would be more efficient? I'm not doing them now, but you know I did them for a long time. To me, they felt life changing. Training to  hold a kettlebell for a sustained amount of time  and lift it over my head, gave me  strength  to  lift things over my head. Before them, I was losing the ability to lift even light things over head. I don't think I could have started out with jerks. 

Stop, you’ll end up changing my mind. How can I hate get ups when they were life changing for you? I very much like hating get ups. 
I’d never pick them as something to do with a lady who walked into my gym losing the ability to lift overhead (I’d probably start with simple db presses, other types of presses including pushup progressions and I’d hang a lot and do assisted pullups and ring rows) but I appreciate that not everybody walks into my gym, or any gym, and that however much I might think Pavel is silly- he inspired a lot of people to get started doing something. And something is infinitely better than nothing. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I use the app AirVisual, since it gets data from more than one sensor per zip code area. And  no, I do not go out if the air quality is bad. At all. And yes, it does make a difference to pay attention and adjust things accordingly... from whether to go outside or not, to how often I use the rescue inhaler. :) 

Oh thanks.  I like this better than the app I had been ignoring.  Oh crap, I forgot my morning meds.

On 1/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, Emma said:

Love that video. I am about to take my nap. :)

Hah.  That's exactly what I did after I read your comment.

On 1/25/2022 at 3:56 AM, KB Girl said:

Ok this is the first time I've heard of a good reasonable reason to do get ups. Other than showing off lifting your tiny girl friend. 

Dude sounds smart. Who was it? 

That is the most positive spin on insomnia ever. 

Oooh, I am totally doing that if I ever get a tiny girlfriend.

I don't know, what ever Russian is dominating the American Long Cycle competition.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:47 AM, aramis said:

:) 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:02 AM, KB Girl said:

I've tried a bunch of other more efficient ways of getting more mobile and I just won't do them for long.  So because I'll actually do them, get ups and the other weird KB things are infinitely more efficient for me.  Plus, now I want to lift a tiny girlfriend.

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

:)   My broken down shoulder had to start with a two-hand shoulder to shoulder press with a tiny (10#) sandbag.  

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Stop, you’ll end up changing my mind. How can I hate get ups when they were life changing for you? I very much like hating get ups. 
I’d never pick them as something to do with a lady who walked into my gym losing the ability to lift overhead (I’d probably start with simple db presses, other types of presses including pushup progressions and I’d hang a lot and do assisted pullups and ring rows) but I appreciate that not everybody walks into my gym, or any gym, and that however much I might think Pavel is silly- he inspired a lot of people to get started doing something. And something is infinitely better than nothing. 

"Comrade, eat more steak and get a beast-sized kettlebell and soon you too will impress the weaklings when you lift your tiny girlfriend."  I'm not sure how you can call Pavel silly.

ETA:  "I might think Pavel is silly- he inspired a lot of people to get started doing something. And something is infinitely better than nothing."  This is key, I'm not knowledgable enough to know how effective Pavel's/ RKC/ StrongFirst's methodology is compared to other systems, but I figure if I follow it reasonably well I'm going to end up doing a lot better than if I program hopped or tried to come up with my own programming and I enjoy it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

"Comrade, eat more steak and get a beast-sized kettlebell and soon you too will impress the weaklings when you lift your tiny girlfriend."  I'm not sure how you can call Pavel silly.

This literally made me laugh out loud. 

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Tuesday Januweary 25, 2022

Not much going on.  It's cold enough that your hair freezes solid on the walk to work.

Strength Day - take 2

Warm up circuit 3 X 5 at 12kg

Get ups 3 X 1/1 at 12kg

Trap Bar Deadlift 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 175#

KB Clean & Press 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 16 kg

Slothgirl's ride home bailed on them so I had limited time so I cut off a rung of the ladder (meant to do 4 X 1, 2, 3) and skipped the hanging from the bar and knee ups.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

So because I'll actually do them, get ups and the other weird KB things are infinitely more efficient for me. 

Michael Conor Mic Drop GIF by In Real Life

Just for the records, this doesn't in any way mean that I'm going to start doing TGUs any time soon.  Because gross.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

20 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Tuesday Januweary 25, 2022

Not much going on.  It's cold enough that your hair freezes solid on the walk to work.

Strength Day - take 2

Warm up circuit 3 X 5 at 12kg

Get ups 3 X 1/1 at 12kg

Trap Bar Deadlift 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 175#

KB Clean & Press 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 16 kg

Slothgirl's ride home bailed on them so I had limited time so I cut off a rung of the ladder (meant to do 4 X 1, 2, 3) and skipped the hanging from the bar and knee ups.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

Doing great, especially with everything else that's going on. Keep it up mon ami.

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If it wasn’t for get ups I wouldn’t have anything to do on Friday nights. 

god damn, how do I get her arms?

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

36 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

how do I get her arms

Kettlebells? ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

2 hours ago, Shello said:

This literally made me laugh out loud. 

I really hope you read it in a bad Russian accent.

This mobility discussion reminded me of our Yoga PVP.  Which one of us lost it worse.  That was bad.

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Just for the records, this doesn't in any way mean that I'm going to start doing TGUs any time soon.  Because gross.

I totally get that. I'm not a big fan myself, but I find them useful.

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

Doing great, especially with everything else that's going on. Keep it up mon ami.

Thanks, I'm actually a bit proud of the last several weeks of consistency myself, but  life is about to get a lot busier and I'm worried I won't be able to keep everything up.

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

god damn, how do I get her arms?

@aramis stole my answer, but I'll add, it might have something to do with her being so good at get ups.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I really hope you read it in a bad Russian accent.

I most certainly did!

3 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

This mobility discussion reminded me of our Yoga PVP.  Which one of us lost it worse.  That was bad.

That was bad.  Oh how I hated yoga.  I have come around and grown to like it.  I have yoga planned for today, 'yoga' too if I'm lucky.  

• Haha 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

So because I'll actually do them, get ups and the other weird KB things are infinitely more efficient for me.  Plus, now I want to lift a tiny girlfriend.

Yes! And I approve. 

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA:  "I might think Pavel is silly- he inspired a lot of people to get started doing something. And something is infinitely better than nothing."  This is key, I'm not knowledgable enough to know how effective Pavel's/ RKC/ StrongFirst's methodology is compared to other systems, but I figure if I follow it reasonably well I'm going to end up doing a lot better than if I program hopped or tried to come up with my own programming and I enjoy it.

Absolutely. 
but I reserve the right to blah on get ups because because because. :) It wouldn’t do not to fulfill my role. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Shello said:

I most certainly did!

That was bad.  Oh how I hated yoga.  I have come around and grown to like it.  I have yoga planned for today, 'yoga' too if I'm lucky.  

If you're enjoying yoga and 'yoga' you're the winner.

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yes! And I approve. 

Absolutely. 
but I reserve the right to blah on get ups because because because. :) It wouldn’t do not to fulfill my role. 

I would be really disappointed if you stopped harshing on get ups.  Almost as disappointed as when I discovered (just now) that our titles disappeared.

Wednesday 1/26/2022

Nothing new of note so I'll tell you something old.  About three weeks ago I broke my phone.  When I got a new (used) one I went into the cloud to set it up and I saw the backups from all my old phones.  Not liking digital clutter I deleted them, but I'm not very smart and I deleted the back up for my broken phone.  I had to set up the new phone fresh.  I couldn't remember any of my social media passwords.  I've since figured out a couple of them, but I'm still off social media.  It's really nice, except for not knowing what to do when I wait for the kid's classes to finish*.  I do want to keep up with news from my tribe and a few friends, so I might get back on FB, but if I do I'm muting like 90% of the people on there.

*Maybe I'll buy a book or download a game.

ETA: deleted my crabbiness.

Aerobic Capacity Day

1:17 riding the trainer.  I drifted out of zone 2 into zone 3 without noticing and had to watch to make sure I wasn't going too hard.  If I didn't know better I might think I was starting to gain a little fitness.

ETA: I was going to joke about how I gasp for air at the top of the stairs, but I didn't do that today.  I think the correlation is good air days.

I watched the latest Boba Fett episode.  It was really good.  Maybe the best episode of any Star Wars show,  I followed it up with more Captain Marvel.  If you recall I thought it was a great trainer movie, but I down graded it.   I started back where I left off and there was an endless blah, blah, blah to advance the plot.  Come on people keep it moving.  After a whole bunch of fast forwarding it got back to more explosions and stuff I can track while riding a trainer.

Peace Out Nerd Friends.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Nothing new of note so I'll tell you something old.  About three weeks ago I broke my phone.  When I got a new (used) one I went into the cloud to set it up and I saw the backups from all my old phones.  Not liking digital clutter I deleted them, but I'm not very smart and I deleted the back up for my broken phone.  I had to set up the new phone fresh.  I couldn't remember any of my social media passwords.  I've since figured out a couple of them, but I'm still off social media.  It's really nice, except for not knowing what to do when I wait for the kid's classes to finish*.  I do want to keep up with news from my tribe and a few friends, so I might get back on FB, but if I do I'm muting like 90% of the people on there.

Ah I've done the same recently, though a tad more intentionally ;) it's very good for the headspace, but as you say, I do miss some of it. Not FB, but I might get back on insta and just unfollow a whole bunch. Let me know how that goes for you? 

If you can read on your phone it's quite nice to have a good book on there too, for those moments. 

• Like 2