On April 7, 2017 at 10:34 PM, EricMN said:

Get after it tomorrow, my friend. I'm annoyed I won't be there. There's going to be a good dozen of my people in green, I expect to see you in some if the pictures...

We're putting a NF team together in the fall.  We need you as captain and trainer. 

On April 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM, Big_Show said:

Good luck for the race!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate. 

On April 8, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You got this Sloth, Hammer Away!

Thanks Brother. 

On April 8, 2017 at 9:02 AM, shaar said:

Your spring break sounds just like what the doctor ordered!  

IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!!!!!!  Patiently awaiting race anecdotes of greatness!!!

1d3e517c4c2d35a44fa967f5c0267097.jpg

On April 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM, elizevdmerwe said:

All the best for the race!

Sounds like you had a great time during the holidays. I'm  glad for you.

Thanks.  It's was restful. 

On April 8, 2017 at 0:01 PM, Elastigirl said:

Have a great day today! Your weeks sounds very relaxing and wonderful.

Thanks.  It was good. 

46 minutes ago, maegs said:

Damn, I missed all the heroics!  how did the Hammer Race go? 

It was a sufferfest. 

8 minutes ago, Xena said:

Hope it was awesome. Can't wait to hear about it!

Thanks.  I'm just about to post about it.

• Like 4

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

All Hail @The Most Loathed! Nerd Fitness Hammer Race Champion!!!

The race was good, it was fun, but I suffered*.  I started the race over confident about my base strength, fitness, and abilities because I did so well in the fall.  However after a winter of inconsistent Yoga and trainer riding I wasn't in hammering shape. 

I woke up in trouble with my belly.  Best I can figure is that a burrito I had the day before secretly had dairy in it.  TML and I carpooled; it was good, he's easy to talk to.  But I couldn't get him to take any of last year's energy gels or sports beans off my hands.  The weather was a bit cool, but perfect once we started running.

We got a start up front and stayed near the leaders.  The first obstacle was a trio of wall climbs.  I was slow because weak.  By the time I got over TML and a bunch of other people were up the road.  After that I slowed down to a slow jog and made sure to walk as I came up to obstacles to keep from going anaerobic.

I saw TML again at the tire drag, he was finishing as I was starting, he still looked fresh. I was dying. At the two mile water station I had a bottle.  That was a mistake.  My belly revolted and I had to spend some time in a port-a-potty. I hiked or walked the next two miles. At the next water station everything felt settled and I felt rested so I started jogging again.  I settled in with another old guy and his wife and we cruised together until the end. 

I felt like I did terribly, but the results (which I can't find again) didn't look too badly.  I finished in the last half, but near the middle. 

When I got home I saw that the family was out.  I thought I'd go on a little bike ride, but when I tried to get out of the car I was painfully twisted up like Gollum. Instead I took a long, hot shower and laid down.  

It was Nerd Night.  We played D&D and finally got a dungeon crawl instead of role playing and plot exposition.  But I fell asleep on the couch and missed all the dice rolling. 

*I don't consider suffering in a race to be a bad thing.  It's what I go for, but I wish it was because the course was brutal or because I pushed myself to the edge, not because I was undertrained. 

Training: Hammer Race

Eating: on point, even at Nerd Night. 

Spending: petty cash for parking, accts not balanced.

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2ce2c9ce7d9669aa4820a81296bc2cde.jpg

4/9/17 Sunday

Lazy day. I was going to get up early and go to my favorite over-priced coffee/ bike shop and watch The Paris -Roubaix bike race. I look forward to this all year, but I slept through it. I ran some errands, but otherwise just chilled. When I finally got up there were two new dogs in the house.

We're fostering an older pair of bonded dogs. They must have been kenneled together wherever they came from; one of them can't tolerate being away from the other and they lay together pressed into hidden corners. The little one is so happy to trot around the yard it almost brings a tear to my eye.

44d7e3295e77062baf81774aa48ce6c0.jpg

Training: no, rest day. I probably should have Yogaed.

Eating: on point.

Spending:. I bought groceries, giant bag of dog food, seeds for the garden, mouse poison, a ream of paper for Slothgirl's art, and a Star Wars Lego kit for the birthday present shelf because they were on sale. Accts balanced again; despite going out to eat so much I survived Spring Break reasonably well.

• Like 10

You still look happy in the photo though!

• Like 2

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

4 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Just what I was thinking. You finished, and are still alive :P that's great.

Ah sweet doggies. I had a maltese poodle when I left home. She was the sweetest dog ever. Glad the little one is enjoying the garden.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Great hammer race pic!   You look pretty much alive. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

The thought of belly issues happening out in the wild always sends a fresh terror down my spine.  YOU HAVE OVERCOME, SHINY AND CHROME

• Like 4

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On April 9, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For being "undertrained" you still finished near the middle of the pack. Not too bad.

38 of 65 IIRC.  I can't complain about that. 

On April 9, 2017 at 9:13 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about the belly during the race. Good job powering through and finishing.

Stupid belly.  I should have known better than to go out to eat the day before a race.  It's not the first time this has happened. 

Thanks. 

22 hours ago, EricMN said:

For someone who didn't train, you had a solid finish. Good on you, brother.

They're killing me with dates. Let me look into it.

Thanks. 

18 hours ago, Big_Show said:

I love brutal races. 

14 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Just what I was thinking. You finished, and are still alive :P that's great.

Ah sweet doggies. I had a maltese poodle when I left home. She was the sweetest dog ever. Glad the little one is enjoying the garden.

I think she's a Maltese Shih Tzu mix.  Nice dog, but timid and old. I'd look into getting one if we were in the market for another dog. The people who adopted Carol (our last terrier) want to return her.  They weren't prepared for the issues a rescue dog might have.  She's good with the family but terrified of strangers and barks relentlessly at visitors. *sigh*. We told them...

11 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Great hammer race pic!   You look pretty much alive. 

Thanks.  Are you planning on the fall race? It'd be awesome if we had more Rangers there. 

10 hours ago, shaar said:

The thought of belly issues happening out in the wild always sends a fresh terror down my spine.  YOU HAVE OVERCOME, SHINY AND CHROME

I am am awaited in the halls of Valhalla!!!  

Speaking of which, I assume y'all have seen the Thor Ragnarok trailer? I haven't seen any of the Avenger's movies, but this looks awesome. 

6 hours ago, Rooks said:

Man. I slack off in NF checking for a week or so, and Sloth goes and legitimately becomes a super hero. Right on man. And props on the Hammer Race. I'm feeling like I need to sign up for Fall. Give me something to strive for. Going to make a decision by this Saturday. 

6 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it. do it.

^^^This.  All this. ^^^. If we don't get the team together TML is going to make me run shirtless with the elites and no one wants to see that. 

• Like 7

4/10/17 Monday

Back to work. It wasn't a bad day. We started life science which always goes better than physical science. The students have a bit more background knowledge and there is little math to trip them up.

The STEM teacher crushed her ankle at a trampoline park and is getting it surgically put back together. (Be careful @Big Show.) I agreed to take over her after-school class. It'll be a lot of scrambling on the home front, but it's just three more weeks until the competition. They're making CO2 powered pinewood derby-type cars. It's pretty cool.

These last two days I've felt like I was run over by a Buick. I actually have been run over by a Buick and can tell you with certainty that I feel that beat up. Less bruising though.

Training: light Yoga to loosen up.

Eating: mostly good, I had a bag of M&Ms to temper the effects of taking meds on an empty stomach. I heated up my lunch and my teammate made a face and said, "ugh fish." I batch cooked salmon. She'll be real happy by Friday.

Spending: Rogue One DVD (actually bought yesterday, but I forgot). Accts balanced.

• Like 10

The STEM teacher crushed her ankle at a trampoline park and is getting it surgically put back together. (Be careful @Big Show.)

Yowzer!

Tbh though I was more expecting to faceplant on the steps after losing control and leavig the trampolines entirely...

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

They weren't prepared for the issues a rescue dog might have.  She's good with the family but terrified of strangers and barks relentlessly at visitors. *sigh*. We told them...

A friend has a doggie like that. He absolutely hates me (and all other strangers), but he protects them like gold, so *shrugs*. When you take in any kind of "hand-me-down"/rescue pet you have to face the fact that there will be some issues. As Brandt said once, years ago when we got the Jack Russell and realised ISSUES: We've adopted her, she is now part of the family. We'll work this out. If you adopt a child, you don't give the child back to welfare, you work through the issues. Same goes for animals you adopt.

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

We started life science which always goes better than physical science.

We are still on light, but will finish the last experiment this week. Then we start on water (2nd day of creation experiments). Still a long way off from animals and plants which the boys are looking forward to, but the experiments keep their attention. This morning we learned about light transmission and more on reflection: a glass bowl filled with water and a spoon on the bottom. Put this on the edge of a counter and look at the bowl where your eye level is below the counter level. It looks as if the spoon is actually at the top of the glass bowl. The boys found it fascinating! And then of course if you put your fingers into the water, there is a space between what you see to be the top of the water level and where your fingers "start" when looking from the bottom. Rocco's reaction: "Cool! A different dimension or portal!" I left it there :D

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

11 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Thanks.  Are you planning on the fall race? It'd be awesome if we had more Rangers there. 

Yes!  I am still planning on it.  No backing out like last year.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

19 hours ago, Rooks said:

So if I register, I assume we are signing up individual? I see they have 3 individual waves (outside the people going for the title).

If? What do you mean if?

They haven't had waves before. I'm going to register this weekend before the price goes up - it's too expensive as it is. I'll register for the first wave.  If we get a team together, or if TML decides we can hang with the elites, I'll email a request to change registration. 

14 hours ago, Big_Show said:

Yowzer!

Tbh though I was more expecting to faceplant on the steps after losing control and leavig the trampolines entirely...

I've done a trampoline park once.  It was a lot of fun, but I had no control and randomly bounced around the room. I can see where you'd think you'd face plant. I guess the STEM teacher bounced for a whole 30 seconds before she crushed her ankle. 

11 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

A friend has a doggie like that. He absolutely hates me (and all other strangers), but he protects them like gold, so *shrugs*. When you take in any kind of "hand-me-down"/rescue pet you have to face the fact that there will be some issues. As Brandt said once, years ago when we got the Jack Russell and realised ISSUES: We've adopted her, she is now part of the family. We'll work this out. If you adopt a child, you don't give the child back to welfare, you work through the issues. Same goes for animals you adopt.

We are still on light, but will finish the last experiment this week. Then we start on water (2nd day of creation experiments). Still a long way off from animals and plants which the boys are looking forward to, but the experiments keep their attention. This morning we learned about light transmission and more on reflection: a glass bowl filled with water and a spoon on the bottom. Put this on the edge of a counter and look at the bowl where your eye level is below the counter level. It looks as if the spoon is actually at the top of the glass bowl. The boys found it fascinating! And then of course if you put your fingers into the water, there is a space between what you see to be the top of the water level and where your fingers "start" when looking from the bottom. Rocco's reaction: "Cool! A different dimension or portal!" I left it there

I agree with you on the doggos. Carol was the twelfth dog we fostered and the first that people weren't happy with.  That's a pretty decent run. 

f4644700d7f3433b853526434ff97b4ecd5640c9

7 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Yes!  I am still planning on it.  No backing out like last year.  

Sweet!  We're gonna have a nerd fest. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If? What do you mean if?

They haven't had waves before. I'm going to register this weekend before the price goes up - it's too expensive as it is. I'll register for the first wave.  If we get a team together, or if TML decides we can hang with the elites, I'll email a request to change registration. 

I burn too easy to run with my shirt off. I'm in for the the casuals, like we did this time. As far as I can tell there's no advantage to running with the meatheads. Although if we get five I'm down for being a team. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If? What do you mean if?

Still waffling a bit. I'm going for a run today and if something catastrophic happens like I blow out my knee, I'll pass, but I'm probably in.

On 4/10/2017 at 10:38 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

These last two days I've felt like I was run over by a Buick. I actually have been run over by a Buick and can tell you with certainty that I feel that beat up. Less bruising though.

I really, really hope there's a good story behind this........

We got the Rogue One steelbook last week!!  Amazingly I hadn't seen the movie yet either, it was REALLY GREAT!!  Donnie Yen's character was my favorite.  I'm glad the directors didn't pull any punches with the movie's conclusion, for lack of spoiler talk.

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

22 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I burn too easy to run with my shirt off. I'm in for the the casuals, like we did this time. As far as I can tell there's no advantage to running with the meatheads. Although if we get five I'm down for being a team. 

Sounds like a plan. 

9 hours ago, Rooks said:

Still waffling a bit. I'm going for a run today and if something catastrophic happens like I blow out my knee, I'll pass, but I'm probably in.

I hope the knee holds up. 

8 hours ago, shaar said:

I really, really hope there's a good story behind this........

We got the Rogue One steelbook last week!!  Amazingly I hadn't seen the movie yet either, it was REALLY GREAT!!  Donnie Yen's character was my favorite.  I'm glad the directors didn't pull any punches with the movie's conclusion, for lack of spoiler talk.

No, not really. I was just biking along and a Buick that wasn't paying attention ran a light and T-boned me. This was a while ago before cell phones even.  The way Mpls police handles hit and runs is they send a letter to the perpetrator and asks if they were involved, the perp says nope, wasn't me and the police throw up their hands and say, "Nothing we can do."  This ended my bike racing for a long while. I couldn't afford a new bike, but I was burnt out anyway.

He was my favorite too.  I hope he is in a prequel to the prequel. I heard they filmed a happier ending too in case Disney didn't like it. 

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

hey-boo-just-an-obrien-fan.gif?w=500&h=2

It's nice to see you around. I was worried. 

• Like 1