• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, DJtrippyT said:

I have a garter snake you can borrow if you want a replacement. The HVAC guys didn't want him.

I dont think a southern snake would survive Minnesnowta. She’d be all, hey guys where’d all y’all go.  Hey what’s that white shit falling from the sky?

On 7/13/2018 at 1:14 PM, jstanlick said:

That isn't always a bad thing :P 

Hah. Family politics would be a pain. 

12 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

That sounds like quite an adventure trail you took part in!

We have so many people here (not to mention traditional superstition from some groups) who kill any snake if it dares to appear! Harmless brown house snakes get their heads chopped off with spades, and they are the guys who keep the mice and geckos in check!

That trail is actually quite mild.  I think because almost no one was on it the animals came out to feed and bask. 

There are a lot of jerks around here who kill snakes on site or run over turtles for fun. 

11 hours ago, The Most Loathed said:

I need to do this. 

Are you doing weights and estimates or just saying "I drank 1 2 3 beers"?

Lol. This is just to help me think about food instead of mindlessly shoving it down my foodhole. Tracking for calories or macros is too much of a persnickety task for me. 

Today’s example:

Many crepes + raspberry sauce + 1/3 # bacon

mug coffee

meds

big bowl beef fried rice

no cal orange drink

2X propel + core power (it’s like muscle milk but even less lactose gets through the processing)

few handfuls popcorn

1 beer

dinner TBD

• Like 3

7/14/18 Saturday

The last couple of days have been weird time wise. There wasn’t a big block of time for biking.  Which was fine. I’ve been riding enough lately to afford a couple days off. 

Thursday I didn’t do much of note except get caught in a huge rainstorm. Oh, foster dog got spayed. She was in heat so we had to wait a while for this to happen. 

Friday was the kids circus showcase it was pretty good. During the week they rotated through about 8 different acts. In the show Slothboy did vault (run and jump and aerial tricks off a mini-trampoline), Slothgirl did globes (balancing trIckes on a giant sphere), they both did lowcasting (mini flying trapeze). Mrs. Sloth got tired of hearing me belly ache about my back/hips/knees and brought me to the chiropractor. He did some PT stuff and said I had a pinched nerve and my muscles in my left leg weren’t fully firing making that leg weak. Which matches what I’ve noticed on the bike and stairs. 

Saturday

I wallowed around in pain feeling sorry for myself most of the day. Finally I said, “Fuck you, I,m Millway” and got on my bike. It hurt like Hell. I couldn’t stand on the pedals without starting to topple over or push big gears. I managed to get a slow 33 miles in. I made a massage appointment and doctor appointment. 

*Please don’t say you’re sorry for my pain and stuff. It’s not a big deal, it’s just what I’m working through right now. 

Song of the day, @neverthatbored got me thinking about music and I happened upon this one.  I used to love it. 

• Like 6

Awesome about the kids and their circus performances. You said you went to the chiropractor and they seemed to analyze you okay, but did they have a recommendation on how to fix it? And did the dog have it’s leg removed yet? The same day you mentioned the foster dog would have to become a tripod, many days ago, I saw a dog at the apartment complex near my kid’s daycare hopping along on three legs and seeming to be doing fine.

Awesome about the kids and their circus performances. You said you went to the chiropractor and they seemed to analyze you okay, but did they have a recommendation on how to fix it? And did the dog have it’s leg removed yet? The same day you mentioned the foster dog would have to become a tripod, many days ago, I saw a dog at the apartment complex near my kid’s daycare hopping along on three legs and seeming to be doing fine.

No. I don’t think there’s a whole lot you can do for a pinched nerve. Chiropractor, yoga, ibuprofen. The doctor might suggest a stronger pain med or a surgery consult. We’ll see. Mrs. Sloth just ordered me an inversion table, she thinks that’ll help.

I wonder if it got worse because I put all that weight on. Or if it was going from 18000 steps a day to 5000 - walking makes everything better.

Dilly the foster dog is not a tripod yet. There’s lots of times when she only uses three anyway, I think she’ll be fine. That surgery isn’t scheduled until the 13th, she needs to heal from the spaying first.

We don’t usually have dogs this long. She’s becoming part of the family. She doesn’t just sleep on the bed, she is entwined with Slothgirl - she picked her as her person. If she didn’t shed I think Mrs. Sloth would insist on keeping her.
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

wonder if it got worse because I put all that weight on. Or if it was going from 18000 steps a day to 5000 - walking makes everything better.

My husband has a bad knee (surgery in highschool) he can really feel the difference when he gains even a little bit of weight. 

• Like 1

I had a pinched nerve in my neck a couple of years ago and they gave me a couple shots of muscle relaxant, and that solved the issue in about 15 minutes.  They had to use a couple of really long flexible needles that they jabbed into my neck and maneuvered up inside my skull to deliver the meds, but I couldn't argue with the efficacy.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Mrs. Sloth just ordered me an inversion table, she thinks that’ll help.

Im curious to see what you think. As a person who had a ruptured disc, I've considered one of these many times. At least on old lifter I know (older than everyone in this thread) swears by his.

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

She’s becoming part of the family. She doesn’t just sleep on the bed, she is entwined with Slothgirl - she picked her as her person. If she didn’t shed I think Mrs. Sloth would insist on keeping her.

If this works out, I could convince Laura that it's for the best and she'd be happy. Otherwise you can bring sloth girl by to see Dilly anytime. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I mean, you don't expect us to be happy about it or anything, do you?

I think he wants us to tell him to “Man Up”, walk it off, and rub some dirt on it. He’s old school like that I think.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2018 at 5:45 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My brother-in-law just joined Strava, so I made the trek up to Minnesota’s Bible Belt to ride his home trails and see how I compare.  I wore my stars and bars jersey to forestall any potential hassling from the locals. The ride was good.

glad you had a good ride with your BIL. Pisses me off that you had to think about wearing that jersey. There's so much complicated stuff to figure out in the world. Not deliberately acting like an ass is pretty simple.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:22 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It definitely could use a good smudging. I’m a little afraid that if I went into the nearest church they’d be snake handlers and they’d know what I did.

Why would anyone punch a snake? They’re our friends; they eat the varmints and critters so we don’t have to. My step-mother-in-law’s live-in partner (modern families...) just shot a friendly Kingsnake in their suburban backyard and posted it on FB. I had to restrain myself from calling him a mean fucker and getting myself unfriended.

So in case you ever need to ask for help from the local snake handling house of worship, I think we could keep this post as a character reference.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:46 AM, Elastigirl said:

My husband has a bad knee (surgery in highschool) he can really feel the difference when he gains even a little bit of weight. 

Ugh. I’m not even heavy by American standards, but I suspect you’re right. 

On 7/15/2018 at 2:04 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I had a pinched nerve in my neck a couple of years ago and they gave me a couple shots of muscle relaxant, and that solved the issue in about 15 minutes.  They had to use a couple of really long flexible needles that they jabbed into my neck and maneuvered up inside my skull to deliver the meds, but I couldn't argue with the efficacy.

Sounds gruesome, but I’d do it to end this pain. I might get another cortisone shot.  

On 7/15/2018 at 7:30 AM, The Most Loathed said:

Im curious to see what you think. As a person who had a ruptured disc, I've considered one of these many times. At least on old lifter I know (older than everyone in this thread) swears by his.

If this works out, I could convince Laura that it's for the best and she'd be happy. Otherwise you can bring sloth girl by to see Dilly anytime. 

Older than @EricMN? I feel relief when I hook my foot on something and pull, so I’m hopeful. Where would you put it though?  You’ve no basement.  

tenor.gif?itemid=6937735

Don’t get me wrong, she’s a great dog, but I’m allergic. In fact I put my foot down as a hard no when Mrs. Sloth asked about fostering this one. 

When we’ve visited former foster dogs in the past they’ve all been, “Who the fuck are you?”  

On 7/15/2018 at 3:12 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I mean, you don't expect us to be happy about it or anything, do you?

I just don’t like that sort of attention or sympathy in general. It makes me feel useless and and stupid. I’m not that bad off anyway, I’m functional, I just can’t train hard. Or bend over. Or climb stairs. 

On 7/16/2018 at 4:15 AM, Bearlee said:

I think he wants us to tell him to “Man Up”, walk it off, and rub some dirt on it. He’s old school like that I think.

I like that you get me. I would also accept a “harden the fuck up.”

NSFW language

22 hours ago, Xena said:

glad you had a good ride with your BIL. Pisses me off that you had to think about wearing that jersey. There's so much complicated stuff to figure out in the world. Not deliberately acting like an ass is pretty simple.

Even better, I didn’t ride with him, I just compared Strava times. 

I wear the stars & bars jersey whenever I’m in red zones.  It affords me another foot or two of distance when I’m being passed by pickup trucks. However, it doesn’t make a difference in blue zones when I’m passed by a Prius. 

• Like 1

7/15/18 Sunday

This was a terrible back day. Like a bad toothache punctuated by kicks to the crotch for no apparent reason. Being in a bent over bike position is relatively painless, I went on a slow 39 mile ride with a friend. IIRC It took nearly 3 hours. 

7/16/18 Monday

I got a massage. It was terrifically painful. Massage dude said I had some of the tightest glutes he’s ever seen. I was walking better afterwards.  

I implemented the def-con 1 back protocols. 

-walk the dogs 3 times/day. Walking helps most everything. This adds about 4 miles. 

- rumble roll 3times/day. Rolling cures all. 

-15-20 minutes yoga morning and night. This is the maximum my brain can handle.  

-When I’m able I’ll add in shovelglove and ab work. 

7/17/18 Tuesday 

still a bad back day when I woke up, by the afternoon things started to tone down.

My big big race is 10 days. It doesn’t look like I’ll podium this year either. I went to my local trail to see if I could ride. I was able to, but not fast or hard. I could, however, handle small drops and standing on the pedals. It looks like I’ll be able to race. I think I got in 7 miles in 50 minutes. 

Song of of the day since I’m feeling a bit better. 

NSFW B/c theme & bikinis. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

gh. I’m not even heavy by American standards, but I suspect you’re right. 

Neither is my husband. But he is 6'3" so he already carries weight even when he's skinny.

Hope the back feels better soon and you can enjoy the race

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 4:03 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

He did some PT stuff and said I had a pinched nerve and my muscles in my left leg weren’t fully firing making that leg weak. Which matches what I’ve noticed on the bike and stairs.

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I got a massage. It was terrifically painful. Massage dude said I had some of the tightest glutes he’s ever seen. I was walking better afterwards.

Brandt sees the chiro and physio/maseuse (she does both, so I'm not sure just what she does when she sees him) about every two months. Even with him cycling and training regularly he needs this for pinched nerves from sitting, etc. He also swears by walking - how much it has improved his back and aches now that he walks regularly.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Dilly the foster dog is not a tripod yet. There’s lots of times when she only uses three anyway, I think she’ll be fine. That surgery isn’t scheduled until the 13th, she needs to heal from the spaying first.

Was going to ask how she's doing. Thanks for keeping us posted. I thought she might be walking on three legs only, anyway. They are so adaptable, as you also said before.

All the best and "man up!" for crying out loud.

*hugs*