1 minute ago, Starpuck said:

Your school pick up story gave me anxiety just reading it!    Props for surviving that Sloth!!

Wait what’d I miss?

[scrolls back]

JEEEEEEEEZZUSSSSS

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

On 10/22/2018 at 8:56 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Today I learned that I can’t be trusted with a box of Nutty Buddys in my desk as emergency food

This sentence speaks to my soul.

• Like 4

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 10/23/2018 at 6:28 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m going to steal @Xena ‘s structure until I get back in the zone. 

W: Take measurements to set a current baseline. 

DDP Yoga and my mashup workout. 

Sort out savings account. 

Get prizes for school. 

Th: DDP Yoga and tire pulling when I walk the dog. 

Grade notebooks. 

Order tix for Mrs. Sloth. 

Fr: DDP Yoga and mashup workout. 

Plan for next week. 

Sa: go for a ride weather permitting. 

Get nice bottle of something for bike shop and order stuff if possible.

Family fun. 

Su: go for a ride weather permitting. 

Family fun. 

Once again I learned that I can’t plan ahead or follow through with anything I say aloud. 

On 10/24/2018 at 12:36 AM, WhiteGhost said:

That would have had me chewing nails.  Glad everyone found their way to right place eventually

I have never heard of this and can't, for the life of me, guess what it could mean

Oy vey is pretty close. 

Chewing nails is* a good way to put it. 

*Why the Hell would autocorrect turn “is” into “Kia”?

On 10/24/2018 at 5:41 AM, Xena said:

not so terrible ;-)

Whatever you had to do to get rid of those was clearly a brilliant move.

Geez, that school pick-up situation sounded terrible.

Happy to see tire pulling back on the list.

:)

tire pulling is great cardio. I haven’t weighted it yet. 

On 10/24/2018 at 7:19 AM, TimovieMan said:

God, the sinking feeling when you're looking for your kid(s) and they're gone... face-screaming-in-fear_1f631.png

Glad to see it all turned out alright. Man, the stress that must've caused... :o

Thanks. 

On 10/24/2018 at 11:20 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

b137c5e489404e905e071b718ae2789e.jpg

Discovering that I can eat ice cream again has not been helpful.

I’m sure my belly is past 38” and weight is above 180. I don’t want to check because that’s where I freak out and start doing drastic things like watching what I eat and exercising. 

On 10/26/2018 at 8:00 PM, Starpuck said:

Your school pick up story gave me anxiety just reading it!    Props for surviving that Sloth!!

Thanks. I had a bit of anxiety too. 

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I am having a devil of a time getting back into the swing of things. Both NF-wise and fitness-wise. 

I can’t think of much to report on. The family’s been sick all week (again). The plague hasn’t touched me (yet). Maybe because I’m keeping myself coated in a slime of hand sanitizer. We have no extra dogs at the moment, which is kind of relaxing, but Slothdog is acting like an anxiety case. 

My class is totally bonkers. But they always are during Halloween week. Which is a bit weird because only about half of them do anything for it. The new math teacher quit, but she found herself a cushy gig at an expensive private school, pretty much the exact opposite end of the spectrum. I’m overdue on lunching & playdough with the pre-K. 

That’s all I got. Good night nerd friends. 

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

*Why the Hell would autocorrect turn “is” into “Kia”?

Because advertisers are WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

On 10/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, DJtrippyT said:

Wait what’d I miss?

[scrolls back]

JEEEEEEEEZZUSSSSS

Hah. That’s how I felt. 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:08 PM, Stribs said:

This sentence speaks to my soul.

Youre my soul sister. 

On 10/30/2018 at 1:37 PM, shaar said:

Because advertisers are WATCHING OUR EVERY MOVE

What really creeps me out is when you’re talking about something and you type like two letters into google and it knows what you want. 

Me: “I”, “N”

Google: “Indian Taco sale this Saturday”

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

11/2/18

Its the end of the first quarter already. Which means it’s been that long since I seriously fitnessed. Today was a no-student paperwork day. I took care of 10 things off of my 31 item to-do list. I’ll have to do a bunch of stuff this weekend still, but grades are in and special ed paperwork is taken care of. 

I binged Dr. Who on my phone while I did all the paperworky stuff. I watched the first six episodes of the ninth (and best) doctor. Perhaps this will be the year I finally force myself to watch the tenth doctor. I’ve never actually seen one of his episodes, but he grates on me. 

6tu8.gif

Yesterday I went to my buddy’s going out of business sale. It was kind of a sad affair. I went in with a shopping list, but  I couldn’t get there until 4:00 and it already looked like locusts went through the place. A couple of guys with big Rubbermaid bins cleared it out as soon as he opened. I got $100 worth of stuff for $30 plus a big box of random used bike parts for the different project bikes I have laying around. 

A guy at work just gave me a mountain bike frame they found in the woods. Some teen probably stripped the parts to upgrade his bike and dumped the rest. It was a nice frame, but not so nice that the owner was a likely member of the city’s cycling scene.  So my attempt to find the owner was fruitless. If I can find a fork that fits I think I have enough parts to build it up and give it away. 

My weight is up to 183.6# and my belly is 37.8”. Sorry everyone in a rational country, my brain is too fuzzy right now to convert for you. 

Fitnessing:

DDPYoga Energy - 23 minute beginner workout. It was hard for me. 

Simple & Sinister: warm up and get ups @ 16 kg, KB swings at 24 kg.  Sorry people who live in a non-rational country, out of fairness I won’t convert these.  Last spring when I left off I was struggling with 12 kg and 20 kg.  Regular mountain biking seems to have been a decent gpp program for kettlebells. 

• Like 8

On 11/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad I'm not the only Eccleston fan out there.

NINE BEST DOCTOR

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

2 hours ago, shaar said:

NINE BEST DOCTOR

giphy.gif

To be fair I think David Tennant is a great doctor as well, there's just something magical about Eccleston.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

27 minutes ago, Xena said:

So if you've never watched, is it reasonable to start there, or should you go back to something more "classic"?

I started at the ninth doctor and was fine, same for Sra. Tanque.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Xena said:

So if you've never watched, is it reasonable to start there, or should you go back to something more "classic"?

Doctor Who! A subject I know well.

The show is fairly easy to pick up. In modern Who, there's more story arc, but it's designed to be pick-uppable at any new Doctor for certain, and basically also any new season.  (I watched seasons 1 & 2, and then skipped to season 5, and it was totally fine. Unlike Sloth, I like Tennant, but the writing grated on me, and I have no plans to rectify that gap.)

Classic Who is even more flexible. Any Doctor is entry point, any season, and by and large any story. It was serialized, not episodic, so a single story might have run for a month on air, but is basically a single movie-length story. With a few exceptions, there aren't really arcs, just the basic connections of a loose chronological order.

I don't know how true it is of modern Who, but classic is well-suited to being experienced as a chronologically jumbled-up experience, for the real thematically meta viewing order. Many people in the pre-streaming era experienced it that way due to what's available when. Once you've got the basic premise of regeneration, you can skip from five to two to seven to three and so on. It might change the throwaway in-jokes you get from an episode, but those in-jokes are just a often allusions to things the character did offscreen as on. It's kind of well designed to be chronologically jumbled, because the characters experience time that way, too, and "you know, I popped into 1859 for a quick weekend getaway and lunch with Charles Dickens once, and ended up fighting these same aliens from the 73rd century; I wonder if they've met me yet... oh, do keep up, Random Person From 1982, it's just basic time travel" is fairly par for the course. Sometimes that episode set in 1859 exists, and sometimes it doesn't. It's designed around the premise that an infinite amount of stuff has happened to this character all out of order, and you just happen to be present for this moment of it. Which works out just fine if you're watching episodes that way, too.

Which is the long way of saying that it's reasonable to start with any modern Doctor and any three random classic points at the same time. ;)

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

7 hours ago, shaar said:

NINE BEST DOCTOR

giphy.gif

I can’t say that you’re wrong. 

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

To be fair I think David Tennant is a great doctor as well, there's just something magical about Eccleston.

David Tennant just seems so frivolous. I’ll give him a shot though. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I’ve watched all of the fourth and fifth doctor that was available here and some of the first through third. I’d say that unless you plan on getting into an internet pissing match and need to establish some nerd cred, you can safely ignore the classic series. 

The ninth doctor is where they reestablished the series for a new audience and it seems like the place to start. Amazon Prime calls it season one anyway. 

If you really get into it I’d find a top ten classic Dr. Who episodes list and watch those to get the flavor of it. 

ETA: What @sarakingdom said. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you really get into it I’d find a top ten classic Dr. Who episodes list and watch those to get the flavor of it.  

Alternate point of view: top ten episode lists are the third rail of Doctor Who, do not touch that question. Particularly with Doctor Who, because it's one show and thirteen shows all at the same time, and it's hard to know which show the person making the list is reacting primarily to, and if you feel the same way as them. (But there are ways to get a sense of representative stories that aren't too embarrassingly badly aged.)

Just make sure that at some point, you watch seasons 25 & 26 of classic Who. That actually is the best Doctor Who ever made. I am, you see, different from other people in that my opinion is objectively correct.

ETA:

tumblr_opwksfOb6m1ssuoa0o6_250.gif

(This basically sums up seasons 25 and 26, both onscreen and in the number of ways they nearly accidentally killed these two in stunts.)

• Like 2

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Just jumping in with my two cents (and more or less agreeing with what's already been said).

The Ninth doctor is a great point to start. They had renewed the series for new audiences, so it feels like a completely "clean" starting point, and it avoids a massive archive backlog of a whole lot of episodes that imo haven't aged all that well.

That said, starting at the Eccleston series already gives you a large archive backlog. :)

Really, you can jump in at almost any point. When I got into Doctor Who, I had a vague idea about what the show was, and I jumped in halfway of a Matt Smith season without any issues. It's pretty newcomer-friendly, I feel.

I'm in the Tennant camp, though. Loved Eccleston (and was thrilled when he was cast because I'd been a fan ever since Shallow Grave), but Tennant gave us (or at least, me) the "definitive" Doctor.

I once read an article where they nicknamed every Doctor "The ... One", and Tennant was dubbed "The Awesome One". I wholeheartedly agreed. :D 

Active challenges: Spring Respawn: Winter Blues to Summer Bod | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

2023-24 threads: Challenge VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII

2018-19 & 2021 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII

Dr Who.    It's been on my list for years... it's established MustHave Nerd Cred.... I need anime to slow down so I can get to other wonderful things.

• Haha 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

One more vote for the ninth doctor! I really liked David Tennant too though. I wasn't a huge fan of Matt Smith, and Capaldi was ok. Are any of you watching the new season??

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

We getting an update anytime soon? The last proper update was ten days ago. And keep going with the DDP Yoga, it gets easier the more you do it. Some dumbass at one time told me “Make it a habit, then worry about progress” which is good words to live by.

And my opinion on the Doctors is that which ever one you watch first is usually your favorite and then from there on it’s the previous Doctor to the one you’re watching because you always compare the new Doctor who is trying to establish himself/herself to the Doctor that is fully fleshed out. So 9 is better than 10, 10 is better than 11 and so on. Or if you watch them out of order 11 is better than 9 (if that is the stretch of series you go to next).

• Like 1

Viking Adventurer

Battle Log: Bearlee is ...

Just jumping in with my two cents (and more or less agreeing with what's already been said).

The Ninth doctor is a great point to start. They had renewed the series for new audiences, so it feels like a completely "clean" starting point, and it avoids a massive archive backlog of a whole lot of episodes that imo haven't aged all that well.

That said, starting at the Eccleston series already gives you a large archive backlog. [emoji4]

Really, you can jump in at almost any point. When I got into Doctor Who, I had a vague idea about what the show was, and I jumped in halfway of a Matt Smith season without any issues. It's pretty newcomer-friendly, I feel.

I'm in the Tennant camp, though. Loved Eccleston (and was thrilled when he was cast because I'd been a fan ever since Shallow Grave), but Tennant gave us (or at least, me) the "definitive" Doctor.

I once read an article where they nicknamed every Doctor "The ... One", and Tennant was dubbed "The Awesome One". I wholeheartedly agreed. [emoji3] 

Sorry the definitive doctor is:

DCT06.jpg

Dr Who.    It's been on my list for years... it's established MustHave Nerd Cred.... I need anime to slow down so I can get to other wonderful things.

That's ok.  I don't watch anime which kills my nerd red.

One more vote for the ninth doctor! I really liked David Tennant too though. I wasn't a huge fan of Matt Smith, and Capaldi was ok. Are any of you watching the new season??

Not yet.  I'll get to it.  

We getting an update anytime soon? The last proper update was ten days ago. And keep going with the DDP Yoga, it gets easier the more you do it. Some dumbass at one time told me “Make it a habit, then worry about progress” which is good words to live by.

And my opinion on the Doctors is that which ever one you watch first is usually your favorite and then from there on it’s the previous Doctor to the one you’re watching because you always compare the new Doctor who is trying to establish himself/herself to the Doctor that is fully fleshed out. So 9 is better than 10, 10 is better than 11 and so on. Or if you watch them out of order 11 is better than 9 (if that is the stretch of series you go to next).

You're probably right, but I don't fit the mold.  The fourth doctor was my first, but during the classic era my favorite was the fifth.  

Has it really been that long?  Then I had three days of DDP Yoga and a week of being sick which triggered really bad insomnia.  I am tired about talking about the plague already so I just stayed away.

Saturday I went to nerd night.  We played the Choose Your Own Adventure game.  If you read those books as kid you'll probably really like it, but I doubt it has much re-playability.

Sunday I did DDP Yoga and went to a school event at the Roller Rink.  There were only about 20 kids there, but it was fun and I got about 90 minutes of skating in and worked up a sweat.

• Like 6

Oooh roller rink!  I think I'd die if I tried that now, but sounds like a good time was had.

And sounds like we have a good arrangement Sloth.  I'll lend you some of my anime cred, and you borrow to me some of your Who cred.

... who cred...

Whocred

Hukrid!  - Neat!  Just came up with a name for a D&D NPC!  Now all I need is a bunch of Dr Who-isms to fill in his personality! :)

• Like 2

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100