On 1/17/2022 at 8:41 PM, Scaly Freak said:

I didn't like him much at first either, but he grew on me. He has quite a fascinating character arc.

The first movie needed a redemption arc.  In movie time he just switched from bad guy to good guy in the wink of an eye.

22 hours ago, Shello said:

It's been a long couple of years.  This seems like a great idea for a fresh start.  

Yep, thanks.  Seeing you comment on this reminds me to write my favorite workout, that I stole from you, in my new journal.  Beat a  tire with a sledgehammer on one end of the yard, walk to the other end, do KB swings.  Hits the whole body.  I always feel better afterwards.

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It's never a bad time for a fresh start.

Yep.  

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

So great to see you back again!

Thanks, you too.

3 hours ago, Emma said:

This pandemic is changing everyone and everything. We will never be the same.

I hope we end up changing for the better.

48 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Great to have you back!

I hope your new journey is rewarding in a whole different way than the previous ones.

Thanks! I don't really know what my new journey is.  It might look a lot like the old one, but with a different 'here' and 'there'.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Tuesday January 18, 2022

I was sore as heck  from snatching with bad form (My poor old muscles had to work extra hard to stabilize things).  Still am actually.  Especially my upper back.

Zoom School is going fairly well.  My ADHD need a lot of extra movement to sit in front of a computer all day.  I was going to bring a kettlebell and do random movements throughout the day like the old days, but I realized I no longer have enough recovery for that.  Instead I'm just trying to walk about the building when I have time.

Training - Cardio

I rode the trainer for 1:10 at a zone 2.  I cranked the resistance way down and turned the cadence up and it worked really well.  I felt better afterwards than I did before.

My attach-to-your-bike trainer had too much resistance for where I'm at so I bought a LeMond Revmaster Spin Bike.  Old school, non-electronic, just a big flywheel with a leather brake for resistance.  I went with this one because it is able to be set up so it fits more like a real bike than the other options.  Bonus, it has a much smaller footprint than my old trainer.

I watched the first half of Captain Marvel.  I really liked it.  Captain Marvel and Fury are both likeable and they fit well together.  I wasn't paying a ton of attention, but there was enough pointless action and mayhem that it was easy to follow along.  Unless there's a ton of plot and verbal drama in the second half, As a trainer movie I rate this at I've definitely watched worse.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

• Like 8

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I was going to bring a kettlebell and do random movements throughout the day like the old days, but I realized I no longer have enough recovery for that.  Instead I'm just trying to walk about the building when I have time.

One option that works well for me is to do random stretching exercises at my desk throughout the day. Shoulders and neck especially.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

KB Snatch 10 X 4/4 at 16kg

I felt really rough and should have shut it down instead of slogging through the minimum effective dose. 

Yes but also maybe rethink what minimum effective dose is? 

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As a trainer movie I rate this at I've definitely watched worse.

I missed your minnesotanness :D

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Seeing you comment on this reminds me to write my favorite workout, that I stole from you, in my new journal.  Beat a  tire with a sledgehammer on one end of the yard, walk to the other end, do KB swings.  Hits the whole body.  I always feel better afterwards.

Such a great workout!  I still don't have a large tire.  I miss the old days when I had a membership to the fancy gym that had a yard filled with tires I could flip and then beat with a hammer! 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

18 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

One option that works well for me is to do random stretching exercises at my desk throughout the day. Shoulders and neck especially.

That sounds like a goo... wait a minute, you're not trying to trick me into doing chair yoga are you?  Immediately after posting that I ran across a article that said only KB swings throughout the day could fix the ills of sitting all day.  Of course it was on StrongFirst and they think KB Swings are the answer to every question.

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yes but also maybe rethink what minimum effective dose is? 

I missed your minnesotanness :D

Haha.  If I did less I wouldn't feel like I was doing anything.  I think next time I'll either drop it to sets of 3/3 or drop the weight to 12kg.

3 hours ago, Shello said:

Such a great workout!  I still don't have a large tire.  I miss the old days when I had a membership to the fancy gym that had a yard filled with tires I could flip and then beat with a hammer! 

Aren't you in Nebraska?  It seems like a drive along any dirt road would come across a big ol' tire in the ditch  soon enough.

• Like 1

Wednesday Januweary 20, 2022

The thing you don't expect about Zoom school is how cold your classroom is without all those little bodies pumping out heat or how often you go out delivering supplies and books to students.  Today I'm wearing long underwear, a thick sweatshirt, and a wool cap.

KB Strength

I felt healthy and strong yesterday.  The weights felt light so I moved a couple of them up.  I won't be surprised, or disappointed, if I have to move them back down.

Warm-Up Circuit - 3 X 6 at 12kg/ 25#

Get Ups - 3 X 1/1 at 12kg.  A month ago I would have predicted I'd never move past the 8kg.

Trap Bar DL - 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 175#/ 79kg, felt heavy, but went up smooth.

KB Clean & Press - 3 X 1, 2, 3 at 16kg/ 35#.  I started the ladder over since I superset these and it is just easier to track.

Hanging Knee Raise - 9 X 1.

Peace Out Nerd Friends.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The thing you don't expect about Zoom school is how cold your classroom is without all those little bodies pumping out heat or how often you go out delivering supplies and books to students.  Today I'm wearing long underwear, a thick sweatshirt, and a wool cap.

Same thing in the gym, freezing when it’s empty! Can’t they turn up the heat a bit for you though? x)

• Like 1

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

26 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

they think KB Swings are the answer to every question.

Aren't they though?

26 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Aren't you in Nebraska?  It seems like a drive along any dirt road would come across a big ol' tire in the ditch  soon enough.

Lol.  I am but I have never ever come across one.  I did come across a car tired that I did pick up and bring home to use for rucking.  

17 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The thing you don't expect about Zoom school is how cold your classroom is

Since it's Zoom school can't you Zoom from home?

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

56 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That sounds like a goo... wait a minute, you're not trying to trick me into doing chair yoga are you?  Immediately after posting that I ran across a article that said only KB swings throughout the day could fix the ills of sitting all day.  Of course it was on StrongFirst and they think KB Swings are the answer to every question.

This reminds me of back when we thought foam rollers were the answer to every question.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Same thing in the gym, freezing when it’s empty! Can’t they turn up the heat a bit for you though? x)

I don't think they can without authorization from central office.  The other thing is I'm just sitting instead of moving about, so I'm not generating heat either.

1 hour ago, Shello said:

Aren't they though?

Lol.  I am but I have never ever come across one.  I did come across a car tired that I did pick up and bring home to use for rucking.  

Since it's Zoom school can't you Zoom from home?

They don't want us to do that.  Certain members of the public loudly complain that we're sitting on the couch watching TV and eating bon bons at home.  Some of the principals (not mine) are telling their staff they can work from home if they need to.

ETA: The principal just stopped by to tell me I now have the option of teaching from home if I need to. 

34 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This reminds me of back when we thought foam rollers were the answer to every question.

You're thinking of Shovelglove.  And it kind of is.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

They don't want us to do that.  Certain members of the public loudly complain that we're sitting on the couch watching TV and eating bon bons at home.  Some of the principals (not mine) are telling their staff they can work from home if they need to.

ETA: The principal just stopped by to tell me I now have the option of teaching from home if I need to. 

But the kids are just sitting at home on their couches eating bon bons.  It's only fair. 

yay!! Can you teach from your trainer?  That would be awesome multitasking.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That sounds like a goo... wait a minute, you're not trying to trick me into doing chair yoga are you? 

Absolutely not! How dare you.

First, get up and pace, then stretch, away from the desk. Then go back to the desk and work again. Repeat every 60-90 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

There are like 3 teachers in the building today. I could skateboard the halls as my movement break.  

Roller blades or a soccer ball could also work. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shello said:

But the kids are just sitting at home on their couches eating bon bons.  It's only fair. 

yay!! Can you teach from your trainer?  That would be awesome multitasking.  

Based on the kids who turned their cameras on, they're eating hot chips and doughnuts.

AAAAHHHH!!! Misery upon misery.

16 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Absolutely not! How dare you.

First, get up and pace, then stretch, away from the desk. Then go back to the desk and work again. Repeat every 60-90 minutes.

My brain can't last that long, but that's what I'm doing.

1 hour ago, Scaly Freak said:

Roller blades or a soccer ball could also work. 

This would be a fun building to roller skate in, big, long corridors and a bit of a ramp on some of them.

1 hour ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

There has to something fun to find to use that isn't "quite" locked up somewhere.... 

Glad you are doing better! 

Thanks!  It's good to see you again.

• Like 1

Thursday Januweary 20, 2022

Last night Slothboy cooked.  Mrs. Sloth orders Hello Fresh boxes so the kids can learn to cook without all the extra shopping and prep work and it's working out super well.  Besides them learning to cook, they are expanding their palate because they're willing to eat things if they picked them out and cooked them. It's probably expensive, but if I was in charge we'd be eating a lot of fried bologna.

Cardio Day

1:17 riding the trainer at an endurance pace.  At about 1:15 my body said, "No mas," but I forced 2 more minutes out of it so I could have an even 1:10 in Zone 2.

I didn't watch Captain Marvel because I wanted to see the the new Boba Fett episode.  It started a little slow for the trainer, but I liked how they brought it around to showing how we ended up with a kinder, gentler Mandalorian.  I've been iffy on the show because it's so cartoonish (I mean the mods who ride space vespas?), but now that I know the arc I think I'll rewatch it from the beginning before the next episode.

Peace out Nerd Friends.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Last night Slothboy cooked.  Mrs. Sloth orders Hello Fresh boxes so the kids can learn to cook without all the extra shopping and prep work and it's working out super well.  Besides them learning to cook, they are expanding their palate because they're willing to eat things if they picked them out and cooked them. It's probably expensive, but if I was in charge we'd be eating a lot of fried bologna.

I actually have a friend who had brought the boxes to her young adult children to do a similar thing after I told her about my Green Chef experience. 

Found out I CAN cook yummy food with the guide which had me open to cook for myself but yeah the price wasn't worth my current living situation...  I used to bake a lot growing up due to similar ease "instructions and ingredients easy to grab." Might be worth the price also just to get an idea of protein and veggies. 

42 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I didn't watch Captain Marvel because I wanted to see the the new Boba Fett episode.  It started a little slow for the trainer, but I liked how they brought it around to showing how we ended up with a kinder, gentler Mandalorian.  I've been iffy on the show because it's so cartoonish (I mean the mods who ride space vespas?), but now that I know the arc I think I'll rewatch it from the beginning before the next episode.

Ready to nerd out on Captain Marvel because I couldn't get in the movie until a couple weeks ago and damn what a good movie. 

I actually had coworkers that were putting down the storyline that now with your perspective I might actually watch it next to getting a refresher of the whole area of movies. 

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What a great idea :) Does he enjoy it? 

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Teaching your children to cook is not nearly as common as it should be. And what an impressive way to trick them into eating varied food with "weird" vegetables.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:18 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

I actually have a friend who had brought the boxes to her young adult children to do a similar thing after I told her about my Green Chef experience. 

Found out I CAN cook yummy food with the guide which had me open to cook for myself but yeah the price wasn't worth my current living situation...  I used to bake a lot growing up due to similar ease "instructions and ingredients easy to grab." Might be worth the price also just to get an idea of protein and veggies. 

Ready to nerd out on Captain Marvel because I couldn't get in the movie until a couple weeks ago and damn what a good movie. 

I actually had coworkers that were putting down the storyline that now with your perspective I might actually watch it next to getting a refresher of the whole area of movies. 

I think these meal kits could be a good gateway to cooking on your own. You’re learning some skills, seeing how different things fit together, and building confidence.  

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

What a great idea :) Does he enjoy it? 

Yeah, both the slothlings do as long as Slothboy doesn’t have to zest anything. I’m often the assistant and I enjoy it too. 

10 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Teaching your children to cook is not nearly as common as it should be. And what an impressive way to trick them into eating varied food with "weird" vegetables.

Hah. More like trick them into eating vegetables at all (they get that from me).

• Like 3

Friday Januweary 21, 2022

I should keep notes, I forgot what I was going to put down here. 

KB Conditioning

Warm up circuit 3X5 at 12kg/ 25#

2H KB Swings 5X10 at 20kg/ 44# - I think these were the first swings I’ve done in a couple years.  Felt fine, but hit my lower back harder than I remember. 
KB Snatch 10X7/7 at 12kg/ 25#
KB Snatch 8x3/3 at 16kg/ 35# - I shut it down when I started to get sloppy.  Made a few snatch jokes with my text group.  

Saturday Januweary 22, 2022

I woke up stiff and sore. I thought I’d have a rest day, but Mrs. Sloth dragged us all out onto a frozen lake to look at art shanties (artsy ice fishing houses) and a kite festival.  It was super crowded and everyone was wearing a mask so I did too and my glasses were fogged up the whole time and I didn’t see anything.  

Anyway, the walking loosened me up and I felt better so I hit the trainer.  

Recovery Ride - 45 minutes at zone 2. My body said I was ready to be done at 35 minutes, but I put in another 10 to get the maximum points for the work wellness program so my insurance premium won’t go up.  I think universal healthcare would be easier, but what do I know. 

ETA: I think I hit a wall so soon because I forgot to take my morning meds, didn’t put an inhaler in my pocket and had a little asthma thing coming off the ice, and forgot to use the inhaler before I rode. If you have ADHD all meds should be in a patch. 

I rewatched some of Boba Fett and I think they’re using a Greek tragedy structure and following the Hero’s Journey thing with the Sarlacc pit being a stand-in for the journey back from death. I may be overthinking things though.  

Peace out Nerd Friends. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you have ADHD all meds should be in a patch. 

I could not agree more.  My favorite infinite loop is forgetting my ADHD meds for a few days because I'm running late in the morning and don't eat, or a dog has peed or puked on the floor and my morning routine is the thrown all off and whatever.  And then remembering to get back on them when you are going down the rabbit hole of being off meds

• Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

15 hours ago, Novaurora said:

I could not agree more.  My favorite infinite loop is forgetting my ADHD meds for a few days because I'm running late in the morning and don't eat, or a dog has peed or puked on the floor and my morning routine is the thrown all off and whatever.  And then remembering to get back on them when you are going down the rabbit hole of being off meds

also valid for depression/mood things. I've worked with more than one person with serious issues who took their medication for a few days, felt better, decided they didn't need the medicine, and their stability swan-dived. And they'd repeat this pattern ad infinitum. 

Glad you're on the trainer, Sloth. I have to set mine up. 

• Like 3

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)