3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

As a superhero movie I rate it at whoa-that-was-good

I didn't realize your scale went that high

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Friday February 18, 2022

We rented a chalet for the long weekend with two other families.  Friday was for packing. Mrs. Sloth has Friday off so she did the lion’s share.  I figured I had an hour after work to train before she required my morale support.  It ended up being 28 minutes so I didn’t get much work in. 

2HSwing 10x9 at 24kg

KB Snatch 5x5/5 at 16kg.  

Saturday February 19, 2022

There are six adults and six kids in one big room.  We are quite literally the only people in the entire state park. The Ranger left the key under the mat for us.  For the locals, we’re at Fort Ridgely outside of New Ulm. 

I forget how amazing the stars are when I’ve been in the city too long.  

The plan was a weekend of cross-country skiing and snowshoeing but because it’s the end times there is almost no snow and the rest has crusted into ice pack. Instead we’re hanging out reading, talking, and playing games.  It’s not too bad.  

I needed a break so I took a little hike, 2.2 miles; it was pretty nice.  

Peace out Nerd Friends.  

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 2/18/2022 at 11:58 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Also, my average resting heart rate has dropped below 60 again (58) after all those months at 70+. This pleases me.  

Excellent :)

Sounds like a nice weekend despite the amount of people, hope its refreshing!

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Excellent :)

Sounds like a nice weekend despite the amount of people, hope its refreshing!

Thanks!  It’s really a very nice event.  We’ve all turned off our phones (mostly) and all the kids have all been playing together, doing art together, and cooking together super well.  

Sunday February 20, 2022

As I just said we’re having a nice time. Since I can’t post without a whinge, the smoke from the fireplace and fire pit are impacting my breathing.  

We’re eating much healthier than I’m used to - impossible burger meatballs last night, some sort of flaxseed hot cereal, lentil salad at lunch, I don’t know what’s for dinner, but a bunch of vegetables are getting chopped right now.  I was actually a little worried about the eating and was going to pack along some candy bars, but I haven’t needed them.  

I’ve been meaning to try the new fake meats.  It wasn’t bad.

I went on another walkabout on the hiking trails. Mostly different course, but again 2.25 miles / 3.6 km.  I saw a deer kill and some tracks I didn’t recognize.  The only living creatures I saw was a rabbit and a cross-country skier.  

Peace out Nerd Friends.  

• Like 11

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

46 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’ve been meaning to try the new fake meats.  It wasn’t bad.

I'm enjoying the Beyond Burgers --- so long as they are grilled.  Sauté in a pan doesn't work as well, in my opinion.  What have you tried .... any thing that you like?

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Your weekend with friends at the park sounds lovely. Great that the kids are doing a lot of the cooking, even if they have interesting ideas of meals.

Also great to hear that your exercise plan is showing results.

I hope the school district and your union can come to an agreement. Having a strike vote gives the union a substantial edge. I'm sure the school district does not want to close down again either.

Level 76  Viking paladin

My current challenge  Battle log 

On 2/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

There are six adults and six kids in one big room.  We are quite literally the only people in the entire state park. The Ranger left the key under the mat for us.  For the locals, we’re at Fort Ridgely outside of New Ulm

Had a long emotional response over this, since that was the park/ museum I ended up working the Summer of trying to figure out my life with NF...  One of the main influences for my degree... 

Here cheering  for you ! 

Though was wondering for bad breathing days you would replace with 360 breathing? There's videos about different ways of doing it but mainly a list of breathing exercises. 

Was suggested to me by a mentor that his lungs were hit by Covid also and he had issues of keeping oxygen into the higher 80-90%. One practice he found his oxygen easily hit over 95% for once. 

Of course I can honestly say these videos remind me of meditations or yoga so may not be your cup of tea. 

On 2/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I'm enjoying the Beyond Burgers --- so long as they are grilled.  Sauté in a pan doesn't work as well, in my opinion.  What have you tried .... any thing that you like?

I’ve only tried the impossible burgers this weekend.  I had no reason to dislike it and would eat it again.  They did grill them before putting them in the spaghetti so maybe it’s the same deal.  

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Your weekend with friends at the park sounds lovely. Great that the kids are doing a lot of the cooking, even if they have interesting ideas of meals.

Also great to hear that your exercise plan is showing results.

I hope the school district and your union can come to an agreement. Having a strike vote gives the union a substantial edge. I'm sure the school district does not want to close down again either.

It was a great weekend.  The food was probably pretty normal if you’re used to vegetarian.  

Thanks; me too. I suspect they’re going to make us go out on strike in order to say the teachers made us do it (new contract concessions).

1 hour ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Had a long emotional response over this, since that was the park/ museum I ended up working the Summer of trying to figure out my life with NF...  One of the main influences for my degree... 

Here cheering  for you ! 

Though was wondering for bad breathing days you would replace with 360 breathing? There's videos about different ways of doing it but mainly a list of breathing exercises. 

Was suggested to me by a mentor that his lungs were hit by Covid also and he had issues of keeping oxygen into the higher 80-90%. One practice he found his oxygen easily hit over 95% for once. 

Of course I can honestly say these videos remind me of meditations or yoga so may not be your cup of tea. 

Oh wow. It seems like a nice little park. The museum was closed for the season.  If I can figure out how to send photos here I’ll DM you a pic that cracked us up.  

You’re right, they would be a good idea and you’re right, they’re not my cup of tea and I have a real hard time getting myself to do breathing exercises.  

• Like 1

Monday February 21, 2022 - President’s Day

We packed up and drove back. Once home I took a long nap.  

I probably would have skipped training because my breathing isn’t great, but tomorrow is parent-teacher conferences and I need to get my brain in the right place. I also doubt I’ll have the brain space to train after conferences.  

Strength Day

Working Sets

Double KB Front Squat 3x1, 2, 3 at 16/16kg

I should get another 20kg and bump this up. 
EZ-Bar Row 3x1, 2, 3 at 115#
I thought I should row because it’s a really functional movement for mountain biking.  
Trap Bar Dead Lift 3x1, 2, 3 at 200#
KB Clean & Press 3x2, 3, 4 at 16kg

Granted I needed a longer recovery tonight, but 4 working movements might be too much for me still. 

ETA: I don’t remember who first posted it, but I tried the PAI app out of curiosity.  It is really hard to get the recommended 100 points.  The other day I rode the trainer for an hour at ~125 bpm and that gave me 13 points.  That’s a lot of work and if I did it every day I would only hit 91 points.  I figure that if I’m training consistently I probably hit 100, but if I’m not, I’m no where close.  

Peace Out Nerd Friends.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Oh wow. It seems like a nice little park. The museum was closed for the season.  If I can figure out how to send photos here I’ll DM you a pic that cracked us up.  

Please do, the museum itself is having changes that I haven't kept up with since the county that I worked for ended the partnership. But most likely under the same umbrella of MN's history interpretation changes. 

And yes please do. 

May tomorrow's parent teaching conference be alright with the forecast of snow tomorrow....

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I probably would have skipped training because my breathing isn’t great

Just a little catch up: Last time I saw your challenges you suspected long covid, I think? Is that what it was? Are you recovered now?

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

18 hours ago, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Please do, the museum itself is having changes that I haven't kept up with since the county that I worked for ended the partnership. But most likely under the same umbrella of MN's history interpretation changes. 

And yes please do. 

May tomorrow's parent teaching conference be alright with the forecast of snow tomorrow....

Thanks.  The snow made them declare all conferences virtual.  I'm not getting as many as I would like; I'm going to end up doing a bunch of phone conferences.  But so far they've gone well.

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Just a little catch up: Last time I saw your challenges you suspected long covid, I think? Is that what it was? Are you recovered now?

I'm treating it as such - my current kick is attacking endothelial function through diet and supplements.  The doctors weren't willing to use the term long covid, so I was never diagnosed with anything.  It's been a year, maybe they use that term now. I'd guesstimate it at 80% recovered.  Once I no longer needed to sleep every waking minute I started exercising and that seemed to start a cascade of improvements.  

Tuesday 2/22/22 or 22/2/22 if you prefer.

I really hope it's Taco Tuesday.  

Conference day - kind of quiet.  I've gotten a bit of work done, but I have a hard time concentrating on one thing when I have another thing looming. 

The kids might have started it, but I bet today's movement will be shoveling snow.

My body survived adding barbell rows into the mix.  Although I am very aware of my shoulder blades right now.  I like them a lot better than the ring rows I did a couple of years ago.  I'm still not sure if I'll keep them in for the sake of time - I have about an hour to train before I hit a wall that I shouldn't push through.

The PAI thing, I forgot to factor in the way it accumulates.  So maybe 100 points isn't impossible.

Peace Out Nerd Friends.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I'm treating it as such - my current kick is attacking endothelial function through diet and supplements.  The doctors weren't willing to use the term long covid, so I was never diagnosed with anything.  It's been a year, maybe they use that term now. I'd guesstimate it at 80% recovered.  Once I no longer needed to sleep every waking minute I started exercising and that seemed to start a cascade of improvements.  

Getting a proper diagnosis is difficult. Endothelial function--like, the lining of the arteries? What does that do and how do you improve it? Anyway, I'm glad you've been able to exercise.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

Getting a proper diagnosis is difficult. Endothelial function--like, the lining of the arteries? What does that do and how do you improve it? Anyway, I'm glad you've been able to exercise.

My unproven pet theory is that the arterial endothelial layer is impeding oxygen dispersion somehow. You treat like you would for general chronic inflammation.  

• Like 2

After conferences we went to a Mexican restaurant for taco twos, twos, twos, twos, twos day.  It was the kids first time in a restaurant in almost two years.  We lived it up and got the big stone bowl full of goodness (among other things). 

Wednesday February 23, 2022

The union authorized a strike. It’ll probably start March 7.  The thing is, this strike isn’t about our pay (that’ll be our concession), but to help the support staff settle their contract and get a living wage.  Also, a cap on class size and more support for new teachers of color. 

Training - Strength

Warm up

Get Ups

Barbell Rows

Then half of:

Trap Bar Dead Lift

Double KB Front Squat

Double Kettlebell Clean & Press

- it won’t save a ton of time, but I’m going to drop the barbell rows - what I really need is to recover quicker between sets -

Peace Out Nerd Friends

• Like 9

Glad your family got a chance to enjoy 2/22/22. I  missed the boat on that , and didn't even make Tacos. I didn't think anything of it until in the evening when I was checking Instagram.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 2/21/2022 at 7:53 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

ETA: I don’t remember who first posted it, but I tried the PAI app out of curiosity.  It is really hard to get the recommended 100 points.  The other day I rode the trainer for an hour at ~125 bpm and that gave me 13 points.  That’s a lot of work and if I did it every day I would only hit 91 points.  I figure that if I’m training consistently I probably hit 100, but if I’m not, I’m no where close.  

Peace Out Nerd Friends.  

I've downloaded the app too.  I was pretty discouraged when my usual workouts from my app or my walks around the neighborhood were only giving me 5-8 a day.  My 2.5 mile walk the other day got me 15 and then a higher intensity app workout got my 18 the next day.  I've finally broken a score of 50.   

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wednesday February 23, 2022

The union authorized a strike. It’ll probably start March 7.  The thing is, this strike isn’t about our pay (that’ll be our concession), but to help the support staff settle their contract and get a living wage.  Also, a cap on class size and more support for new teachers of color. 

Any idea how long you expect it to last?

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

3 hours ago, Shello said:

I've downloaded the app too.  I was pretty discouraged when my usual workouts from my app or my walks around the neighborhood were only giving me 5-8 a day.  My 2.5 mile walk the other day got me 15 and then a higher intensity app workout got my 18 the next day.  I've finally broken a score of 50.   

My experience is the opposite. My PAI score is well over 100, and has stayed there for several days. I'm content to give it time to settle into a more stable long-term mode of operations though. Between anxiety spikes and Olympic events I was really invested in, my heart rate has been abnormally high for over a week, which I'm sure has skewed the app's calculations and expectations.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 2/23/2022 at 11:59 PM, Elastigirl said:

Glad your family got a chance to enjoy 2/22/22. I  missed the boat on that , and didn't even make Tacos. I didn't think anything of it until in the evening when I was checking Instagram.

Thanks. I hope you make up for it with tacos this Tuesday.  

On 2/24/2022 at 7:16 AM, Rooks said:

Nothing to add but a Taco gif...

Pop Up Lol GIF by Jonas Mosesson

Or two...

Mexican Food Dance GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Thanks brother.  

On 2/24/2022 at 11:29 AM, Shello said:

Any idea how long you expect it to last?

No idea at all. I sincerely hope it’ll be short (or nonexistent).

Woot!  That’s a big jump.  

On 2/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, Fairly_Bouncer said:

Thought I missed the Taco Tuesday until I realized I made bean "tacos" with some homemade gauc... fajitas yesterday. 

Sorry about the stresses of the strike 

May it hopefully result in good things and that your training and other life stuff that helps with stress. 

On 2/24/2022 at 3:22 PM, Scaly Freak said:

My experience is the opposite. My PAI score is well over 100, and has stayed there for several days. I'm content to give it time to settle into a more stable long-term mode of operations though. Between anxiety spikes and Olympic events I was really invested in, my heart rate has been abnormally high for over a week, which I'm sure has skewed the app's calculations and expectations.

Your app must work differently than mine. Mine only gives me points if I’m officially doing a workout.  I am above 100 now, but I’ve been pretty consistent lately.  

• Like 4