Wednesday April 6, 2022

Hello Nerd Friends!

Last week we were back at work and it was a killer. Teaching is like acting on stage - you’re not doing anything physical, but it’s exhausting. I also tried to put in my very best teaching to help get them back in a proper groove.  

Friday the building didn’t have enough reserve teachers so I ended up with half a kindergarten class added to mine. It was the best day all year. We made messy art, played a lot of games, and had an extra recess slot. 

I don’t remember if I mentioned this, but I basically stopped working out during the strike and started eating lots of doughnuts.  Over the last 4 weeks or so I put the three inches back on my belly that I had just worked off.  

I did one Trap Bar Deadlift workout, I wasn’t feeling it so I only worked up to 205# / 93kg.  

This week is spring break. We wanted to get away, but not spend too much so we are in Wisconsin in a haunted one-room schoolhouse that has been converted into an Air BnB. There is nothing around for miles, but there must have been a village here once.  It’s really relaxing. 

Yesterday we drove to the nearest city and did an urban hike with my cousin’s family. 

I brought a 16kg kettlebell.  Last night I did snatches (super smooth), cleans (super ugly and bashing my wrists) which I shut down right away, and one-hand swings.  

Peace out.  

• Like 10

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

haunted one-room schoolhouse

+

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It’s really relaxing. 

ghost | GIF | PrimoGIF

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 4/1/2022 at 9:22 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Glad the outcome was adequate.  

🙂 Thanks. 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, Shello said:

That does seem like a bare minimum.  In the school districts here they partner with local healthcare providers who staff a psychologist at about every school.  The one at my daughter's school is there 4 of 5 days.  We get billed by the provider's healthcare system but it is heavily funded by their charitable foundation so it's cheaper than it would be to go directly to a psychologist and has the convenience of being in the school.  And the district isn't paying for it.

This post needs a ‘love’ button. 

8 hours ago, Shello said:

+

ghost | GIF | PrimoGIF

The secret to ghosts is to make friends with them.  

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope the ghosts wandering the halls don't keep you up at night. Enjoy spring break!

I gotta admit, the rattling chains are a bit much.  

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Wednesday April 6, 2022

No fitnessing today. 

Today’s drama was trying to drive into town. The ‘low fuel’ light came on on the way home last night.  This morning going into town we hit an intersection 9 miles from town and the car’s display said 5 miles range.  We diverted to a town that was 7 miles away and hoped for the best.  The last mile wound downhill and we coasted all the way to the gas station.  

This tiny town of less than 900 people in the middle of nowhere had a super high end bike shop.  It had bikes I’ve only seen online.  I bought some mountain bike tires.  I guess I’m mountain biking again after a couple years off.  

Our big ticket event was a cave tour. It was really cool, but it was self-guided and needed more signs so we knew what we were looking at.  

Peace out my friends.  

• Like 8
  • Wow 2

9 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Today’s drama was trying to drive into town. The ‘low fuel’ light came on on the way home last night.  This morning going into town we hit an intersection 9 miles from town and the car’s display said 5 miles range.  We diverted to a town that was 7 miles away and hoped for the best.  The last mile wound downhill and we coasted all the way to the gas station.  

I have had that adventure before too.  Always thrilling.  

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

On 4/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Friday the building didn’t have enough reserve teachers so I ended up with half a kindergarten class added to mine. It was the best day all year. We made messy art, played a lot of games, and had an extra recess slot. 

This sounds fantastic. I can imagine that being a great day after the stress of a week where everyone is getting back into the swing of things after the time off.

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Only had this happen once, but the truck started sputtering going up-hill as we were exiting the freeway. Luckily, we somehow hit 3 consecutive green lights to coast into the nearest gas station. 

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Our big ticket event was a cave tour. It was really cool, but it was self-guided and needed more signs so we knew what we were looking at.  

Crystal Cave?

I swear my husband's old car (Mazda3) ran on hopes and dreams and just leaked gas so you still thought you had to fill it up. He ran that thing on 0 miles remaining constantly. Once we something like 30 miles on 0 miles remaining because we forgot to fill up before heading out to the middle of nowhere. Granted, it was a manual and he'd kill the engine and just coast a lot but still...

27 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m breaking an unintentional 22 hour fast. Those of you who do this on purpose, What the Heck?  WHAT THE HECK! This is awful.  

Um... how did you unintentionally not eat? Hopefully not for horrific reasons.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Why did you accidentally fast 22 hours?

6 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Um... how did you unintentionally not eat?

I guess life got in the Sloth's way. No time to cook, forgot to do groceries, found spoiled milk in the fridge, got so angry he lost all the appetite... There's a plethora of possible reasons. 

And you know what? One day fast from time to time is a good thing (besides caloric deficit) - check autophagy benefits :) 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

On 4/7/2022 at 8:39 AM, Shello said:

I have had that adventure before too.  Always thrilling.  

Thrilling is an interesting word choice for that. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:11 PM, Rooks said:

This sounds fantastic. I can imagine that being a great day after the stress of a week where everyone is getting back into the swing of things after the time off.

Only had this happen once, but the truck started sputtering going up-hill as we were exiting the freeway. Luckily, we somehow hit 3 consecutive green lights to coast into the nearest gas station. 

Crystal Cave?

Hah. The kindergarteners were fantastic.  

Nice. 

Cave of the Mounds by Mt. Horeb. 

On 4/7/2022 at 1:42 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I have coasted into a gas station once. Lost momentum right at the pump.

🙂 With the long distances in Texas, I bet running out of gas is still fairly common. 

On 4/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, Maigs said:

I swear my husband's old car (Mazda3) ran on hopes and dreams and just leaked gas so you still thought you had to fill it up. He ran that thing on 0 miles remaining constantly. Once we something like 30 miles on 0 miles remaining because we forgot to fill up before heading out to the middle of nowhere. Granted, it was a manual and he'd kill the engine and just coast a lot but still...

Wow. 

23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Why did you accidentally fast 22 hours?

23 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Um... how did you unintentionally not eat? Hopefully not for horrific reasons.

15 hours ago, aramis said:

I guess life got in the Sloth's way. No time to cook, forgot to do groceries, found spoiled milk in the fridge, got so angry he lost all the appetite... There's a plethora of possible reasons. 

And you know what? One day fast from time to time is a good thing (besides caloric deficit) - check autophagy benefits :) 

When I was a single man with untreated ADHD I used to forget to eat fairly often and I’d break my fast with a frozen pizza and macaroni and cheese and maybe ice cream too.  

Aramis is on the right track.  It was the day after spring break. So in the morning, when I normally have breakfast, I was running around like a crazy man taking care of the things I ignored before I left, the same at prep, and at lunch I had a meeting I wasn’t expecting, after school there was a crisis on the bus with my new student so I was in the office dealing with that.  I got home and Slothchild and their History Day group was freaking out over computer and other tech issues.  By the time I finally had a moment to sit down and eat my yoghurt and granola it was 6:00.  

Shortly after my late breakfast Mrs. Sloth and I went to dinner to celebrate our 13th Anniversary (21st or 22nd as a couple).  We had Ramen; I could have eaten two.  

Our new school day is 45 minutes longer to make up for lost time due to the strike and I might need a while to adapt to that.  

I can’t think of anything else going on with me. I’m about to work out for the first time in my a week. Wish me luck. 

Peace Out ✌️ 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Our new school day is 45 minutes longer to make up for lost time due to the strike 

Now that is just rude.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

8 hours ago, Scaly Freak said:

Now that is just rude.

Sort of... but think of the children.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

15 hours ago, aramis said:

Sort of... but think of the children.

I was.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:04 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I promise you they aren't happy about it either.

I'm old and grumpy, I was raised in way different times and place, but... school isn't about being happy. At least not in the first place.  It cannot be abusive, but everybody needs to get their priorities straight. 

I want to say catching up with the material IS important now... after all, nobody will give those kids special/preferential treatment because there was strike and they lost some classes.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Waldo said:

There is such a thing?

Remember when the original "Men Only" Thread got too long and broke the internet? Spezzy had to lock it and create a new one.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Fulfilling my promise to help the thread to grow out of control.

• Like 2