Strength Squad

SigridEllis

I kicked the ass of my pullup goal, and am contemplating seeing whether I can bang out my BW squat goal if I only go just past parallel instead of ass-to-grass. It won't be as satisfying as when I can do BW squats ass-to-grass, but it would still be pretty satisfying.

I have more time this Saturday than I thought I did (was mixing it up with next Saturday) so I'll probably do the 50/50 challenge then, and test out 1RM on Monday.

Do it to it, Quark! You are a braver soul than I going A2G on all your squats. I drop below parallel then get the hell out of dodge.

Rocked the DL challenge. I had a bit of a crowd at one point, the regulars seem to feed off of each other's big lifts. And that, is awesome.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

50/50 challenge done! 50 reps at 65#. I think I had a few more reps in me before hitting failure, but there was sweat dripping in my eyes and I had gone to failure in the 5x5 (sad) so I called it a day.

Do it to it, Quark! You are a braver soul than I going A2G on all your squats. I drop below parallel then get the hell out of dodge.

Heh. I keep reading that you should go as low as you can on squats, and since I can go all the way down, I do.

Rocked the DL challenge. I had a bit of a crowd at one point, the regulars seem to feed off of each other's big lifts. And that, is awesome.

Yeah, that is awesome. And go you!

Today was my last workout of this challenge and I official met my squat challenge! Three sets of five at 200lbs! That's Rick, squatting Rick holding a 5 lb pimp chalice!

I got in the number of chinups I wanted to do, I wasn't able to do them in sets of 5. My other fitness goal was 2 miles of continuous running, which I did last week. I'm calling that 2.5/3 goals achieved.

damn guys! this weekend was full of #winning (apologies, can't help myself). you all rock.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Failed again on 5x5 squats at 90#, but totally pushed through on 5x5 overhead press at 55# this time and got a new press PR testing my 1RM.

So strength goals for the week: got the 5 pullups, probably failed at the BW squat -- I didn't actually test it, but if I'm not able to do more than 5 reps at 90, my 1RM may have improved from 100 to 105, but it seems wildly unlikely that I could do more than that.

Happy about the press improvement though.

Failed again on 5x5 squats at 90#, but totally pushed through on 5x5 overhead press at 55# this time and got a new press PR testing my 1RM.

So strength goals for the week: got the 5 pullups, probably failed at the BW squat -- I didn't actually test it, but if I'm not able to do more than 5 reps at 90, my 1RM may have improved from 100 to 105, but it seems wildly unlikely that I could do more than that.

Happy about the press improvement though.

Hooray! The 55lb press was my goat, too. And awesome on the 5 pullups!

Strength Wrap-up

SL 5x5 Here are my maxes for the last 6 weeks:

130lb squat (started at 120x5 max)

FINALLY broke through 55lb on the overhead press, after two freaking cutbacks. Can't wait to tackle 60lbs on Friday

140lb deadlift - the big plates, yay!

75lb Bench press (started at 50x5 max)

80lb Row

Assistance work:

50lbx8 on the 1-Arm DB row (started at 30lbs)

135lb leg extension

5x1 negative pullups

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines