Strength Squad

SigridEllis

OMG. This is all Spezzy's fault.

Out in twitterland, where I was whining about a crappy squat session, the Spezzinator suggested I try Death By Squats. "What?" "Bodyweight on the bar, 1 squat in the first minute, 2 in the second, see how far you get."

Posted Image

I made it to 8 minutes, with 100kg on the bar. 9 would have needed a cheering crowd and a sick bucket. That's a finisher which deserves its place in the pantheon of shudder-gasping sweat-slick wrecks of humanity. You Crossfit types are crazy!

I'll get 9 next time. Just you wait and see...

That's awesome.

So what weight do those of us not quite at the level where we can do one rep of BW on the bar pick?

That's 60% of my 1RM, so if you're scaling to match difficulty, that should give you an idea. You can calculate your one-rep max here.

Though: Spezzy does it with over bodyweight 'cos she's badass. And if I was being technical I'd want to apply the Wilks Formula so us heavy boys had less to do (but that's close to complaining about having long levers or bad genetics, so nah ;) ). Wilks is a way of calculating relative strength, which doesn't scale directly with bodyweight.

That's 60% of my 1RM, so if you're scaling to match difficulty, that should give you an idea. You can calculate your one-rep max here.

Though: Spezzy does it with over bodyweight 'cos she's badass. And if I was being technical I'd want to apply the Wilks Formula so us heavy boys had less to do (but that's close to complaining about having long levers or bad genetics, so nah ;) ). Wilks is a way of calculating relative strength, which doesn't scale directly with bodyweight.

Death by Squats at 60% 1RM seems pretty reasonable. The calculator seems to think that my 1RM is still under the what I'd have if I added the smallest amount of weight possible to what I lifted the last I tested it, alas. Need to do more work!

Today I completed two of my goals!

60-second unassisted plank -- COMPLETED

165-pound deadlift -- COMPLETED

WOOHOO!

So is this week's challenge death by squats? Tuesday I should be lifting 185 (I actually tried it today, but failed... lesson: Don't be a moron, Rick), and BW is ~195. Usually I do 3x5, so upping my reps should put me at 15 in 5 minutes, but cutting out some of the rest I would normally do. I'm going to call finishing minute 6 a success.

WOOHOO!

So is this week's challenge death by squats? Tuesday I should be lifting 185 (I actually tried it today, but failed... lesson: Don't be a moron, Rick), and BW is ~195. Usually I do 3x5, so upping my reps should put me at 15 in 5 minutes, but cutting out some of the rest I would normally do. I'm going to call finishing minute 6 a success.

I'd be good with that. By "this week" do you mean the challenge week ending tomorrow, or is this for the coming challenge week, giving us a week to gear up for our demise?

I think I mean the week that ends tomorrow. So I'll be late on this one too. Let's start figuring out next week's challenge then.

Huh. Well, we can officially have it be next week's challenge instead. Though if people do want to do it for this week (aka tonight or tomorrow) I may try to do it as a finisher after my planned workout tomorrow.

Hey, I can be an overachiever! I have protein shakes and frozen bananas! I also made a chocolate/berry cream pie with dark chocolate and protein powder! Lots of fat and fast carbs there! That'll be an excellent post workout snack after I kill myself testing my 1RM on deadlifts, do lots of reps at low weights for various things and then Death by Squats. I will totally deserve chocolate pie after that.

Um, death by squats- insane! :) Well done, Andy!

WAY TO GO, Beastback!! That's freaking awesome!

So... what's this week's challenge? I'm not going to be able to do death by squats (sad face) for last week (now that last week is over anyway).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I'm totally in for this death by squats madness. It'll be more reps than I normally do in a week but what the hey. 60% 1RM? Oh heart, I hope you don't explode.

/used to doing 1 then resting.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

i really need to step it up with the squad challenges. i'm doing deadlifts after work today - would death by deadlifts count? ;)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Um, death by squats- insane! :) Well done, Andy!

WAY TO GO, Beastback!! That's freaking awesome!

So... what's this week's challenge? I'm not going to be able to do death by squats (sad face) for last week (now that last week is over anyway).

Huh. I've been counting Mondays as the last day of the week since the six weeks ends on Monday the 5th. Not that it matters too much.

I did do Death by Squats today at 57% of my last calculated 1RM (adding the smallest amount of weight would be 60% of my 1RM if my 1RM has also increased by the smallest amount of weight I can add, which maybe it has? I haven't tested it since last week.) and made it to minute 10. Contemplated continuing because I didn't feel dead yet, but I had five seconds left in my 10th minute and thought that it was unlikely that I could crank out another 11 on that little rest and didn't really feel like going to failure. But if we officially do Death by Squats for the week 4 challenge, I may try upping the weight and going to failure, because, hey, can it really be death by squats if you don't die a little?

I did go to failure testing my 1RM on deadlifts earlier in my workout, and it has gone up! And increasing at least one of my 1RM lifts was a personal challenge I set for myself for the week -- does this count as a 'pass' in the weekly challenge, or do I just get to give myself extra credit elsewhere?

weird. I updated here on Friday, and looked at my post, but it's gone now. Oh well. AAAAAnyway.

On the weekend I was travelling so I did the card game as a workout.

Spades = pushups

Clubs = squats

Hearts = jumping jacks

Diamonds = double unders

Jack = 11

Queen = 12

King = 13

Ace = 15

Joker = 30 mountain climbers

I forget the exact time now, but it was around the 32 minute mark to get through the entire deck.

It ended up being more tough than I expected. You know it's kicking your ass when you hope for jumping jacks because they're the easiest. I think I'm not used to just jumping in from one exercise to the next with little to no breaks like that, so it was a good ass kicker to my lungs anyway. All in all, I liked it. I think with a bit of tweaking it would make for a pretty solid workout routine on the whole.

Totally skipped the playing card challenge, but did death by squats today aaaaaaand, here's how it went

Jump rope and foam rolling to warm up.

Squats 5x5 @ 100lbs

Overhead Press 5/5/5/5/4 @ 55 lbs (Agh, can't believe I failed on the last rep!)

Deadlift 5x2 @ 110lbs

DEATH BY SQUATS @ 60% 1RM, or 65lbs: 11 rounds. I nearly met Mr Pukey. I'm sure this is a little light for a 60%1RM, but given that I was already doing squats today I didn't want to push it. I'm sure I'll be spending more time with the foam rolling after work when my quads decide to rebel.

One-Arm DB Row 3x8 @ 45lbs

Totally skipped the playing card challenge, but did death by squats today aaaaaaand, here's how it went

Jump rope and foam rolling to warm up.

Squats 5x5 @ 100lbs

Overhead Press 5/5/5/5/4 @ 55 lbs (Agh, can't believe I failed on the last rep!)

Deadlift 5x2 @ 110lbs

DEATH BY SQUATS @ 60% 1RM, or 65lbs: 11 rounds. I nearly met Mr Pukey. I'm sure this is a little light for a 60%1RM, but given that I was already doing squats today I didn't want to push it. I'm sure I'll be spending more time with the foam rolling after work when my quads decide to rebel.

One-Arm DB Row 3x8 @ 45lbs

Oh man that's super awesome. I'm actually quite scared of this so I'm going to do it today. I may be the first person ever to actually die doing a "death by". If I don't post by tomorrow afternoon someone come find me.

Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Ok this was as terrible as I built it up to be in my own head. Whoever's idea this was I'm no longer your friend. I'll forgive you in time but today isn't the day. And probably not tomorrow. The next day isn't looking so hot either.

Did this as a finisher after clean and jerk work and front squatting to max so that's my excuse for not hitting 10 rounds, which I told myself I should. I ended up doing 9 rounds + 3 reps @ 115kg/253lb. I think it was 3 reps. I believe I blacked out and lost a few minutes I'll never get back so who knows. I might have done a few more in "car accident mode" but it's unlikely. My stop watch was in the neighborhood of 20 minutes before I could see enough to think about peeling myself off the ground. My HR was estimated at 180+ at this time and I probably had been laying prone for a solid 9-10 minutes by the time my cognitive faculties could deal with the procedure. It's now hours later and I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall over when I stand up. I'm counting this as my holidays cardio. Bring on the starches!

So, you know, good luck everybody else! Hahahaha.

Hi Strength Squad!

I just wanted to throw up on the boards that I am getting into competitive barbell and I'm super excited! I'll be doing my first lifting meet on Dec. 11 in San Francisco. My trainer has been trying to talk me into competing for a while, so I finally joined the barbell team at the gym and am going for it!

My barbell team live streams our workouts on Wed/Fri from 10am - 12pm (PST). If you would like to check it out, it's at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/midtown-barbell-club.

I forgot my book to write down my workout today, but I'll be leaving it at the gym so I'll have something to post up here later. :)

Ciao.

90+ Masters Weightlifter

Current Lift PRs
Snatch: 93kg/205lb // Clean and Jerk: 113kg/248lb // Back Squat: 170kg/375lb

Spoiler

2016 USAW Senior Nationals - 6th place

2015 USAW American Open - 8th place
2015 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place
2014 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

2013 USAW Senior Nationals - 9th place

Instagram - MyFitnessPal

Ok this was as terrible as I built it up to be in my own head. Whoever's idea this was I'm no longer your friend. I'll forgive you in time but today isn't the day. And probably not tomorrow. The next day isn't looking so hot either.

Did this as a finisher after clean and jerk work and front squatting to max so that's my excuse for not hitting 10 rounds, which I told myself I should. I ended up doing 9 rounds + 3 reps @ 115kg/253lb. I think it was 3 reps. I believe I blacked out and lost a few minutes I'll never get back so who knows. I might have done a few more in "car accident mode" but it's unlikely. My stop watch was in the neighborhood of 20 minutes before I could see enough to think about peeling myself off the ground. My HR was estimated at 180+ at this time and I probably had been laying prone for a solid 9-10 minutes by the time my cognitive faculties could deal with the procedure. It's now hours later and I'm pretty sure I'm going to fall over when I stand up. I'm counting this as my holidays cardio. Bring on the starches!

So, you know, good luck everybody else! Hahahaha.

hahaha awesome. the blacking out reminds me of

. at least you didn't die. (right?)

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Hi Strength Squad!

I just wanted to throw up on the boards that I am getting into competitive barbell and I'm super excited! I'll be doing my first lifting meet on Dec. 11 in San Francisco. My trainer has been trying to talk me into competing for a while, so I finally joined the barbell team at the gym and am going for it!

My barbell team live streams our workouts on Wed/Fri from 10am - 12pm (PST). If you would like to check it out, it's at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/midtown-barbell-club.

I forgot my book to write down my workout today, but I'll be leaving it at the gym so I'll have something to post up here later. :)

Ciao.

Welcome! This is awesome! Powerlifting or Olympic? Good luck! Definitely let us know how it goes!

Strangely enough, I am more pumped for this now after reading your results. Bring it.

Get after it dude!

hahaha awesome. the blacking out reminds me of

. at least you didn't die. (right?)

Hahaha, exactly. That's the way you debate! Love it.

Good lord, Jdanger! I cower in the wake of your awesomeness.

@Angela, Way to go! That's really freaking awesome!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines