Introduction time! I'm Matt - mid-thirties white-collar guy out here in the Midwest looking to get in better shape and improve my fitness (in general) and develop more self-confidence and general quality of life (in specific).

Backstory - I grew up as a not-very-athletic kid who nonetheless got quite a bit of outdoor exercise due to living in rural areas, and then went into the Army straight out of high school and found that the more I exercised, the more I started packing on muscle mass. As a result, I don't think I met the Army's height/weight standards at any point after Basic, but I never scored below a 240/300 on a PT test.

Of course, once I got out, I got complacent and let my fitness slide. For various reasons, I didn't make it a priority to maintain that level of fitness, and it came to a head this past January when we did a Wellness Seminar at work and I hit nearly every red flag they had: overweight, waist measurement way too high, HDL too low and LDL too high, body fat percentage roughly equivalent to a Paula Deen dessert - and so I decided to take action about it.

Mind you, I had no idea how to go about it, so I tried a number of seemingly random plans: Atkins (lasted about two weeks), full-on vegan (lasted about 2 days), every time I'd see any kind of backslide, I'd give up hope and relapse to old bad habits.

I found NerdFitness.com through a link from another site, and figured "What the heck, this sounds legit and logical" - especially the emphasis on progress.

My basic goal is to get down to 200 pounds and 17.5% body fat - and from there, start working on getting that latter number down even further. One of the motivational tricks I've been trying is to think of it as preparing for some big quest - fighting the Monster (my own term for the extra body fat I'm carrying around). Today the Monster's at 68.5, once it's down to 35 - then I'm ready to take it on in earnest.

Hopefully this site will help that along. Looking forward to it.