Lift, Lose, Love

Hello!  Welcome to my Lift, Lose, Love Log. Yes, I’m a fan of alliteration and allusion.  I’m starting this log because I want to lose the 30 lbs. I’ve put on in the past year or so.

I’ve always been fairly active and enjoyed going to the gym. I've even been in great shape a few times. About two years ago, I went through a severe depression. It was truly one of the worst times of my life. Finally, after trying several things that didn’t work, my doctor prescribed me Lexapro, an anti-depressant. I take a very mild dose (5 mg) but it is enough to level me out and prevent me from slipping back into depression.

I’m not blaming the meds for the weight gain, at least not entirely. I think part of the weight gain was the result of the meds actually working. The meds took all the worry away and suddenly I felt free from anxiety, free from worry, and free to eat whatever I wanted without really caring! I stopped working out and craved sweets all the time. I’ve read this can be a side effect of SSRI’s. However, I know I can lose this weight with some dedication and discipline. 

So, my plan is 3-fold: Lift, Lose, and Love.

Lift

I’m going to be following the SL 5x5 program. The lifts I will be using are Squats, Bench Press, BO Row, Overhead Press, and Deadlifts.

My 5x5 days will be M/ W/ F with two alternating routines:

R1: Squat, Bench, Row

R2: Squat, OHP, DL

My Schedule:

Mon: 5x5

Tue: 30 min walk

Wed: 5x5

Thur: 30 min walk

Fri: 5x5

Sat: work or walk 30

Sun: Riding lessons

Lose

I’ve been reading the “Serotonin Power Diet†and I’ll be following it loosely. This is a good book if you’re an emotional eater or if you’re on SSRI’s. However, there’s not a lot of protein in this diet and I’d like to gain some muscle, so I’ll be making adjustments. The main goal with my diet is to stay within the calorie limit. I’ll be tracking with MyPlate.

1500 calories Sunday-Friday

2200 calories Saturday

Weigh-ins will happen every Saturday. Measurements taken every other Saturday.

Love

I think it is especially true for women that we overeat as a way to sooth ourselves emotionally. That is why love is part of my plan. Not only love in the romantic sense, but also following my passions. I’m married, but my spouse works a lot and our love life has been pretty boring for the past few years. It’s just something that happens when two people have been together for a long time. The flame isn’t as hot or as strong. But I believe part of losing this weight and keeping it off is to rekindle the flames of passion with my husband.

My line of work also deals with love. I’m a wedding photographer. I usually have shoots on Saturdays, but the wedding season has died down and now it’s time for me to explore some personal projects. I can get so caught up in making clients happy that I forget what I love, the art of creating images. 

Love also includes trying new things. So, I’m going to take horseback riding lessons. The lessons will be on Sunday. I’ll also be taking a few college classes. I’ve been taking college classes on and off for 20 years, no joke. I love to learn.

Some of my nerdy obsessions: Tudor History, poetry, Jane Austen, Walking Dead, and Face-Off. I’m an Apple nerd: I own an iMac, Macbook Pro, and iPad. My phone, however, is a Samsung Galaxy S5. I really do not care for the iphone. I prefer Android for some odd reason? Anyway, I’m a gadget nerd and a software nerd. I use Photoshop CC, Lightroom, Adobe Indesign, and I’m always testing out new software. I also love tinkering with my website.

Now for the not-so pleasant and nitty-gritty: stats and starting pics.

Height: 5’7â€

Weight: 181.4

Chest: 39â€

Waist: 32â€

Hips: 42â€

Thigh: 25â€

Arm: 13.5â€

0starting-pics_zps300f46ea.jpg

I have my last wedding for 2014 tomorrow. For this reason, I won’t be starting my 5x5 until Monday. I just can’t risk being sore for the wedding. I’m on my feet for 8 hours holding up a 15lb camera. But I will be starting the diet today and I’ll report it later.

Looking forward to making some new friends here, giving and receiving much needed support, and may we all reach our goals for 2015!

Diet Day 1

ScreenShot2014-12-26at54221PM_zps9fe3f07

Not sure why I put "10/26/14." Apparently I don't know what month it is? lol

Happy I stayed within my calorie goal even though there were a few obstacles. The first being that my mom is staying with us, and she made chocolate chip cookies today. My mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies in North America. But I just told myself they were not an option, and I had a few fat free fig newtons instead. The second hurdle was going out for dinner with the parents. They are all eating sandwiches and chips and hot wings, but I ordered salad, which was actually really good--grilled chicken, cucumbers, and tomatoes with feta cheese and light italian. 

Tomorrow I work all day, so the diet should be pretty easy. I usually don't have time to eat when I work. 

Oh cool. Sounds like some good plans, especially doing personal projects for your photography.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Diet 12/27/14

ScreenShot2014-12-27at101211PM_zps6fe6e3

Wasn't too hard staying within my calorie goal today because I had to photograph a wedding. The wedding went really well. Super nice couple and fun wedding party. The bride was gorgeous. My husband left town for a business trip and my parents leave tomorrow. So, I'll have the next few days to go through all the wedding photos and edit them. I don't have another wedding booked until April, although someone emailed me today who has one in February. But I'm happy to have a little time off to do some personal photography and focus on the gym.

Diet 12/28/14

ScreenShot2014-12-28at72459PM_zpsf34c25e

I was so hungry for the first half of the day. Then I had dinner (chicken breast, plain potato, green beans and 3 fat free fig newtons) and I fell asleep. 

Tomorrow, I start the workouts. Today I wasn't exactly idle. I painted half of the living room. Maybe that's why I was so hungry. More likely it's because I'm PMSing. I get crazy hungry the week before. It's like I can't get full no matter what. I sure picked a great time in my cycle to start a diet, but if I get through this, I can get through the rest of the month. I've heard the first 10 lbs is easiest to lose, but not for me. That first 10 is definitely the hardest because it means I have to stay on the diet long enough for it to happen. But after the first 10, it does get easier as I have some momentum from the discipline and I'm inspired by the results. So, I'm just gonna keep it going and push through the first 10. 

Macros look good, overall. Is part of the diet based around deloading sodium? I notice it's over 3k, then 2k, then barely over 1k.

On the love life front, I think everyone, at least most people in ltr's, know where you're coming from. One small thing that I like to do is write little love notes or even letters now and again. It's something that he or you can reread and it helps keep a small flame from going out.  My gf wrote me a letter when we first got  together, eight years ago and I still have it in my wallet. I pull it out from time to time and it helps me a lot. The issue might be getting him to partake in it. I don't know how n touch he is with his emotional side.

• Like 1

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

I like the idea of writing letters. Not many people now a days don't even do that anymore. Sad because it's a dying art.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I notice the first few pounds are hardest too. Might be just getting into the groove.

Yes, I think you are right! It gets so much easier for me after the first 3 weeks or so. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Macros look good, overall. Is part of the diet based around deloading sodium? I notice it's over 3k, then 2k, then barely over 1k.

On the love life front, I think everyone, at least most people in ltr's, know where you're coming from. One small thing that I like to do is write little love notes or even letters now and again. It's something that he or you can reread and it helps keep a small flame from going out.  My gf wrote me a letter when we first got  together, eight years ago and I still have it in my wallet. I pull it out from time to time and it helps me a lot. The issue might be getting him to partake in it. I don't know how n touch he is with his emotional side.

Hey, thanks! The sodium: I noticed the first day it was really high, so I've been trying to keep it a bit lower. I love salty stuff, so as long as I can keep it around 1800, I am happy! 

My husband actually writes poetry. He's a wonderful writer, and sometimes he writes just beautiful poems about our relationship and family. So he would definitely be open to the idea of it. Thanks for the suggestion! I like its simplicity and sincerity. I'll give it a try. :)

I like the idea of writing letters. Not many people now a days don't even do that anymore. Sad because it's a dying art.

Yeah, it seems text has taken over the quaintness of the note. There is a personalness that is so nice about a handwritten note. 

• Like 1

Today I started my workout routine. First, I had to stop and get a few things--sports bras, a new charger for my iPod, and new earphones. Unfortunately, my iPod didn't have time to charge, but I will have tunes by Wed! Took me what seems like forever to find a few good sports bras. Why on earth would you pad a sports bra? Nearly every sports bra was padded. I don't like my sports bras padded. I just need for them to keep the twins stabilized, lol. 

The gym was packed, no surprises there. I'm sure it will be for the next 6 weeks. There is only one squat rack at this gym (rolls eyes) . Luckily, I didn't have to wait for it, but I did have to wait for bench. I'm going to have to play around with times to go to the gym to see when it's the least busy. This morning I went around 10 a.m. 

5 x 5 Workout A

Squat: 5 x 5 x 45

Bench (dumbbells): 5 x 20's

Bench (oly): 4 x 5 x 45

Barbell Row: 5 x 5 x 35

I had to make a few adjustments. All the benches were taken so I did a set of DB (two 20's) until a guy hopped off and I just switched to regular bench. For rows, I used the gym's barbells rather than the olympic bar to start out with. I may as well take advantage of the fact that I have been sitting on my ass for over a year. Any kind of lifting is a shock to my system right now. I've had chronic injuries in the past and I've had to learn the hard way what can happen if I attempt to do too much too soon. I will be increasing the weight once a week instead for every workout. This will allow me to further stretch out the timeframe and give my joints and stabilizers time to adapt for heavier loads-- hopefully preventing re-injury and pain. Slow and steady wins the game. 

For the first few sets of rows I was going too fast, so I slowed down the last three. I have a bad habit of "rushing" my reps, especially for squats and rows. Partly because it's a sort of an embarrassing position ... I'll get over it, though, lol. Rest between sets was 1-2 minutes. 

Got home and made my Post-workout Meal: Chicken Wrap

00DSC_8049_zps64ffba27.jpg

Ingredients:

High Fiber, Low Carb Tortilla Wrap

4 oz chicken breast

1/4 cup mozzarella

tomato

1 tbl taco sauce

Calories: 336

Protein: 36

Carbs: 16

Fat: 11

Holy crap, my legs are sore today! I can barely walk up and down the stairs! I am so glad I waited until after the wedding to start this program because there's no way I would've made it on Saturday in this condition. Chest is a little sore, but nothing compared to my quads which feel as if they are on fire every step I take. Good Lord I'm out of shape. 

I've made a decision to try some physical therapy. My back and neck are acting up a little. I just have to get honest and admit the sad truth: I have chronic pain issues. I hate it. I feel almost embarrassed about it, like it's somehow my fault. I also feel like doctors don't believe me and will think it's all in my head. I have never once asked them for pain medication, and when they have offered it, I've refused because I don't like feeling sluggish and numb. This has been going on for years now and it's a big reason why I stopped working out. It's like I'm afraid to do anything that will cause pain. Most of it is focused in my upper back and neck. I was reading up on it yesterday and found some info on PT for chronic pain. I have not tried that yet but I made an appointment with my general doctor for a referral. She has previously referred me to a rheumatologist because my RA factor was elevated. The rheumatologist said I do not have an autoimmune disease, that my levels are a little high but that could be because RA runs in my family. It doesn't mean I have it or that I'm going to get it. I can't describe how frustrating this has been. 

Anyway, I'm supposed to do my 5x5 today but my neck is killing me so I'm going to wait it out. I'll definitely get in a long walk and stick to my diet, though. 

12/31/14

ScreenShot2014-12-31at70612PM_zps7408b8c

I was craving sweets badly around dinner time. I started my period. Anyway, I ended up eating two bowls of greek yogurt and raspberries and it really hit the spot. My neck is feeling a little better too, but I'm still seeing the doc on Monday to get a referral for PT. Took my dog to Pet Smart this afternoon. She needed some new toys. I ended up spending $65.00! Her toys are expensive because she needs the super tough and durable ones. She rips regular toys to shreds in just minutes. Even the tough toys don't last very long. But what's the point in having a dog if you can't spoil it? 

After Pet Smart, I took her to the park and we walked about 2.5 miles. She slowed me down a little (she likes to stop and sniff everything) but I enjoy walking with her because it makes me forget I am exercising. 

ScreenShot2014-12-31at70634PM_zps92155ff

Staying home with the hubs tonight for a quiet evening. Happy New Year!

Today I took the dog for another walk at the park. Brought my camera this time, so we stopped more often. I felt like I got a better workout bringing the camera along, though. Lots of bw squats, stretching, getting up, etc. 

ScreenShot2015-01-01at51722PM_zpsf11b61d

Here's some of the shots ...

00DSC_0009a_zps90ea5796.jpg

00DSC_0081c_zps0757f021.jpg

00DSC_0070_zpscd3e80c0.jpg

00DSC_0066b_zps7aca8feb.jpg

00DSC_0018d_zps9c2c0bdc.jpg

Everything is feeling back to normal, so the plan tomorrow is to do Workout B on the 5x5. I'll post the diet later ...

Went to the gym this morning and did Workout B from the 5x5

Squats: 5x5x45

OHP: 5x5x35

DL: 1x5x65

I haven't done DL's in years! So, I started really low. Felt like I could've gone heavier on everything, but I need to start slow and amp up slow. 

Came home and started cleaning out my pantry and reorganizing. I bought all new appliances--the stove and fridge were delivered yesterday and the microwave and dishwasher are being delivered today. My old appliances were shot, especially the stove, and I wanted stainless steel this time. I bought the smudge-proof kind because I hated the idea of fingerprints all over my appliances. So far, I love em.

Diet later ...