Form check on my dips?

I just started doing dips, it's an absolutely new movement for me. I checked a couple of vids and El Diablo's post on it, but as I got some pain in my right shoulder second-to-last time I did them, I thought I should better ask for help on form.

I'm going for bent knees while I get used to the movement. Pain was sharp, right inside the joint, on the front part of it, right shoulder, while I was doing the exercise and resolved once the exercise was over. Last time I did the exercise, I decided to do isometric holds instead of proper dips to give the shoulder time to recover, that's what the pics are. This is the third time I do this exercise.

tumblr_nha4tyHVcM1s9m2tro2_400.jpg tumblr_nha4tyHVcM1s9m2tro1_400.jpg

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Doing dips from a surface behind you puts your shoulders into a pretty extreme range of motion when resistance(your body) is added.  Maybe try them with 2 objects at your sides like chairs or boxes or whatever so you can move your arms forward a bit. Honestly looking at that sight I would personally jump to #6 on the list and have personally started dips with a bench behind me supporting my legs.

also, take dip progression very slowly, they are a great exercise but very easy to hurt yourself.

• Like 2

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

It just looks so dangerous using regular chairs to do it. Like it coud colapse and hurt me spectacularly.

I don't haven anything around the gym that I could use as parellel bars... There are parallel bars at the beach nearby, but I be so self conscious trying out a new movement in a public space...

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - W. Faulkner

Do you have a 2nd bench you could put beside that one? As it gets easier you could raise the incline and put your hands on the top.

Another option is to peruse craigslist for an old walker, they are usually like 5-20 dollars and perfect for a dip station AND you could practice at home :peaceful:

• Like 1

Hwrdfrnd - Goblin Adventurer

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge