If you ever want help starting a small routine I'm willing to throw my knowledge in the hat!  I lift 3 times a week and most of my work is done with 10lb - 20lb stuff, although if all you have is 10 there are certain lifts that will be easier with that weight than others... it might give you a small insight into seeing if you enjoy lifting as something you might want to pursue!

I've got a pair of 10lb dumbbells and have been tossing around the thought of either getting more dumbbells or picking up a kettlebell set (5, 10, 15, 20).  Throw some ideas at me, doll.  I'll try anything.

• Like 1

SW (this time) -- 260 lbs
GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

I've got a pair of 10lb dumbbells and have been tossing around the thought of either getting more dumbbells or picking up a kettlebell set (5, 10, 15, 20).  Throw some ideas at me, doll.  I'll try anything.

I may recommend picking up a set of 5's too... they'll run you about 10 bucks for a pair.  I'll put my thinking brain on tomorrow or Friday and drop you a list of the stuff I started out with!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

I may recommend picking up a set of 5's too... they'll run you about 10 bucks for a pair.  I'll put my thinking brain on tomorrow or Friday and drop you a list of the stuff I started out with!

I do request, if possible, exercises I can watch YouTube or Vimeo of so I can get a good idea of form.

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

I do request, if possible, exercises I can watch YouTube or Vimeo of so I can get a good idea of form.

Absolutely!! I had a really informative website that helped me a ton, it had either videos or gifs showing each motion. I'll definitely dig it up.
  • Like 1

Absolutely!! I had a really informative website that helped me a ton, it had either videos or gifs showing each motion. I'll definitely dig it up.

CONGRAULATIONS!

You have just won knitting!

Handwarmers or legwarmers in your choice of colors.

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

CONGRAULATIONS!

You have just won knitting!

Handwarmers or legwarmers in your choice of colors.

Did you say...... legwarmers?!?!?!?!?!

[emoji54] [emoji295] [emoji259] !!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm almost done with these right now for a commission for my sister.

http://www.purlbee.com/2010/01/30/whits-knits-spiral-rib-leg-warmers/

Holy crap, those are legit fantastic. I would outright pay you for a pair of those. (Or send you some homemade soaps and candles in return?) I need to soul search for a color, though.......
  • Like 1

Holy crap, those are legit fantastic. I would outright pay you for a pair of those. (Or send you some homemade soaps and candles in return?) I need to soul search for a color, though.......

Help me find something I LIKE doing and the first pair's free, babe.  All I'll need are leg measurements and an address PM'ed to me.  I also need to know if you'd prefer wool or alpaca.  (Alpaca is very warm and usually lighter than wool.) 

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Help me find something I LIKE doing and the first pair's free, babe. All I'll need are leg measurements and an address PM'ed to me. I also need to know if you'd prefer wool or alpaca. (Alpaca is very warm and usually lighter than wool.)

Deal. You are officially on my Friday To-do list. We're gonna make this work, trial and error style!! [emoji178]
  • Like 1

Deal. You are officially on my Friday To-do list. We're gonna make this work, trial and error style!! [emoji178]

Here are a couple of pictures of the one I've got done.  Crappy picture, sorry, but hopefully you'll be able to see at least some of the detail.

IMG 0105

IMG 0104

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

So my heart is with the Assassins, and I think it always will be.....

.....but this time around, my Challenge is Warrior style. 

Lifting three times a week with kind of small weights to start with.  Adding in either yoga or bellydancing on my off days.

Yeah, bellydancing.

Shut up. 

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Belly dancing YES!!!! I have always wanted to try that!! Please report back on your findings, even if they are just 'ow'.

• Like 1

Belly dancing YES!!!! I have always wanted to try that!! Please report back on your findings, even if they are just 'ow'.

Well, to become The Baroness, one must be well rounded.

[/bad Eastern European accent]  But of courrse, Darrling.  [/end bad Eastern European accent]

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

FIRST DAY OF THE SIX WEEK CHALLENGE, BIZZATCHES.

Let's rock this.  I will be back in a bit to tell everyone how much my arms feel like pasta.

ETA @ 4:40 AM:

Okay, not pasta yet.   I did however not do the bicep curls with everything else and so I had to do them about five minutes ago, LOL.

Ten minutes walking in place/around the house for a little warmup

3 sets, 8 reps each of routine one  (Thought I'd start small haha) with five lb dumbbells.

A. Palms-In Shoulder Press

B. Lateral Raise

C. Upright Row

D. Bicep Curl

E. Chest Press

Tomorrow, walking in place then bellydance.

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Always wait a day to have your arms feel like pasta.  Tomorrow you may wake up with the wobblearms. I love Day 1 of lifting, I'm like, YEAH THIS IS KIND OF EASY I GOT THIS!!!!... and then the next day I'm like, wait, I have muscles and they have the sore.  Sigh.

Our pilates instructor had the class doing some raises with 5lb dumbbells and I was all, A HA, THIS IS EASY AND I AM GOOD, and then the next day I was like.... why are my back muscles sore, oh yeah.  Derp.

• Like 1

Okay.

Yesterday I tried the belly dancing bit.  Yeah, fail fail fail.  The youtube vid I chose had a lot of explanation of style/history (which is awesome) and was obviously going to go slowly (which was also awesome) but I really got bored about ten minutes in.  Did the shoulder circles, did some arm/hand movements, and there was a lot left.....but between the family needing me to do things and my not getting into the instruction, I only did about ten minutes.  Never even got to the abdomen.

So I'm going to look for a different one.

haven't done my lifting yet because I kept hitting the snooze button, to be honest.  And I ate already.  so I'll lift at lunchtime or something.

The music I missed on Monday completely, it just slipped my mind completely, but yesterday was Sun Ra and Charlie Parker (classic jazz).

ETA @ 7:46 a.m.:

ten minutes walk in place warm up

Routine Two done

A. Wide Row

B. Squat

C. Toe Raise

D. Stiff Legged Deadlift

E.  Dumbbell Side Bend

Three sets, eight reps.

Another interesting thing:  I need to go back and look, but I've stayed in the low 220s, varying between 222 and 225, for I think about a month now.  I'm wondering exactly what the deal is, but at the same time, while this is not the ideal weight for me (HA DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON BMI) it's not the worst I've ever been, either.  I don't want to stay here, that's for sure, but I'm not stressing on it exactly, either.  And while I have been careful on my intake, I have not been uber horribly careful.  I have also not been as active as I could have been.  One set of bodyweight stuff three times a week last challenge wasn't really that heavy an exercise program.  Maybe that's a part of it.

According to MFP and SparkPeople, 20 minutes of belly dancing burns 150 calories.  Adding that to the routine might just be what I need to start dropping a little further on down the line.
The great news, though, is that I bought two new pairs of jeans a couple weeks ago.  While they were still "stretchy" jeans, "plus size" jeans....they were size 16s again.  So nice to see that, y'all, seriously.
  • Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

The great news, though, is that I bought two new pairs of jeans a couple weeks ago.  While they were still "stretchy" jeans, "plus size" jeans....they were size 16s again.  So nice to see that, y'all, seriously.

This is the real victory right here.

I tried some mix of bellydancing/Bollywood stuff once... I have a DVD at home, actually.  Aaaahahahahaha I looked like one of those wacky arm waving inflatable tube men.

japan-wacky.jpg

• Like 1

This is the real victory right here.

I tried some mix of bellydancing/Bollywood stuff once... I have a DVD at home, actually.  Aaaahahahahaha I looked like one of those wacky arm waving inflatable tube men.

japan-wacky.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what I look like too...

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

OMAJEEBUS.

Well, didn't I just fall off the wagon like a log.  And it was okay for about four weeks -- yeah, I fell off the wagon but everything was okay, I was still checking my scale like a madwoman and I was making excuses for myself, you guys. 

"I'm still under 225.  It's fine.

I'm still under 227.  It's fine, I'll work on it next week.

I'm still under 230."

Yeah, I hit 230 Thursday.

LOOK WHERE I AM NOW.

So I'm back on the Chain Gang!

Oooh!  Aaah!  Ooh!  Aah!

Whooooooooa, back on the Chain Gang!

Yeah, you guys are a little young to get that -- here's the

-- Why yes I am old.

Y'all talk at me, let me know you remember me....fuck, would you slow the wagon down, I can't catch up to climb back on....

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

So before I go to bed, I'm going to put my goals for the next few weeks in place here so you guys can help keep me accountable. 

GOALS:

No more than four cups of coffee a day.  (Seriously, that's a goal.)

Water the rest of the day.  (Totally doable.)

Stay within the MFP 1200 calorie a day guideline.

Weights three times a week using Shaar's workout plan.

Walk/cardio of some sort EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  for AT LEAST 30 minutes.

I really don't have a good excuse for NOT doing that.  I live on a relatively quiet street, and my dog needs walked, even if he's unsociable with everyone but the family.

I'm not even going to try doing a challenge for a while, I need to just get back with the program first. 

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

15 minute morning walk with the dog done.

On second cup of coffee.  [i took one sip and then forgot it and it got cold.  Does not count.]

3/4 cup 2% cottage cheese for breakfast

1 cup cottage cheese for lunch

15 cherries

3 chocolate chip cookies -- guys, seriously, I made two batches for the kids yesterday, I can't not every once in a while.  And it's okay, so long as I take another walk and eat a little less dinner.  Tracking on MFP showed 3 medium size CCCs are about 300 calories, and I was way below.  ETA:  Yeah, I ate more cookies.  FAIL.

BUT -- then I went outside and played at playing badminton with my daughter for 30 minutes!  And I took my dog for another walk (much shorter -- I may have to double up his morning walk instead of taking him out in the evenings, there's too many distractions and he gets nutty).

Long story short -- I think I went over my MFP goal, but that's okay, it wouldn't have been by much.  And I did exercise in one way or another for at least an hour today.  So, equals out.

• Like 1

GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs