I hate my job. Well, not really the job itself. I seem to attract all the wrong kinds of attention and none of the good kinds. I've long looked at the situation objectively, and I've only been able to make a single theory explaining it. Some pecked at me and others followed, now I find myself at the bottom of the social pecking order. I am the company scapegoat and beatdog. The accompanying isolation keeps me from changing it around, no matter what I do. I used to go to work with the intent of making the company more successful. Now I find it more advantageous to keep my head low for the 8 hours between my clock in and clock out. I wish I wasn't such a stubborn coward. I need to find another job. Lots of people think I would be a good cop. If only they knew what my anthem movie is, and what silliness goes on in my head.

Remind me what you do again? Corporate strucutre can be sucky sometimes.

I ordered some isomalto-oligosaccharide syrup from Amazon. I'm going to make my own QuestBars. The foundation of the bar is basically this sweet fiber syrup, protein powder, and almond meal/butter. I figure I can experiment with baking techniques and additional ingredients like egg whites, stevia, gelatin, cacao, flax seed, and coconut flour. Low carb, high protein and fiber, sweet and crunchy or chewy. I'm getting excited already.

Quest bars are disgusting to me, they taste like over sweet tree bark. However homemade versions may make them palatable.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Remind me what you do again? Corporate strucutre can be sucky sometimes.

Quest bars are disgusting to me, they taste like over sweet tree bark. However homemade versions may make them palatable.

Yea a reminder of what you do would be helpful.

And I had my first one on Friday, when I hit that squat PR. Cookies n Cream.  It wasn't awful, but now I'm gonna eat that and Blue Cherry Gatorade for every PR attempt. Superstitious much? 

And I had my first one on Friday, when I hit that squat PR. Cookies n Cream.  It wasn't awful, but now I'm gonna eat that and Blue Cherry Gatorade for every PR attempt. Superstitious much? 

Be careful. Those QuestBars have a ton of dry fiber. Recent events have shown that you do not have my level of expertise in the area of pooping.

Be careful. Those QuestBars have a ton of dry fiber. Recent events have shown that you do not have my level of expertise in the area of pooping.

Hey hey, my pooping prowess is back on point. I proudly poop 3 times before 9am. 

7/8 Wednesday

DL and PullUps. Programmed DL for new 9/7/5 reps. Dropped StiffLegDL to preserve hams for squats tomorrow. Dropped Chins because forearms near elbow are trashed post DL.

FitNotes Workout - Wednesday 8th July 2015** Deadlift **- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps- 225.0 lbs x 10 reps- 295.0 lbs x 8 reps [Alt grip]- 335.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR] [Alt grip]- 355.0 lbs x 8 reps [PR] [Alt grip]- 375.0 lbs x 6 reps [PR] [Alt grip. Belt]** Pull Up **- 10 reps [Using my rope grips for finger and forearm health]- 10 reps- 10 reps- 10 reps- 10 reps** Shovel Deadlift **- 90.0 lbs x 12 reps [Bar +45  +0 per side]- 90.0 lbs x 14 reps [PR]- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR] [Bar +55 +0 per side]

I'm on a DL PR roll here. New calculated 1rm: 355x8 = 440x1. I'm liking this overload pattern I stumbled upon. Not only is it apparently effective, the workout is not intimidating at all.

Grip muscles near elbow feel terrible. I think I'm going to pair OHP with DL and move my PullUps to Squat day.

ShovelDL is progressing now. A simple 10lb plate difference is enough to make it retarded difficult again.

Pretty sure I've asked before, but we both know I'm far too lazy to actually look thru your log for the answer...

Are you running an actual program right now?

Pretty sure I've asked before, but we both know I'm far too lazy to actually look thru your log for the answer...

Are you running an actual program right now?

I'm doing my own thing, always have.

Right now, I rotate 3 days. DL+lats, Squats+OHP, and Bench+Scapula. On Saturday, I do a fasted 8rep+ full body thing before carb refeed. On Friday, I always rest (to play online games with friends). If I test 1rm, it's on Thursday after resting Wednesday.

It's pretty loose for self-regulation. For the main lifts, I usually set weights to match calculated rep max, so as I get extra reps, the weight goes up next time. I also like to hit many points along a rep range rather than pounding out a particular rep across multiple sets. This allows for many degrees of progression rates depending on my condition.

For example with my DL; I currently program 3 working sets of 9/7/5 reps at very small PR weights.

If I only get 8/6/4 reps, no biggie, I lifted with near maximal effort.

If I get the programmed reps on some of the sets like 9/7/4, yay PR, but it probably won't be big enough to move the loads up next workout. But the rep calculation creeps up slightly anyway.

If I add reps on top of one of the 9/7/5 sets, I have the option to up the loads slightly to a new 9/7/5 working weight. This is how I can get tiny increments of progression. I study the rep formula, and maybe the 7rep weight is only 0.25 reps away from bumping up my calculated strength while the 9 and 5 rep weight is over half a rep away. I can focus on hitting that 8th and get some real progression going.

If I rock all the sets and get 10/8/6 like I did twice in a row in less than a week, I assume I'm getting golden gains and I slap on plates to match new calculated rep maxes.

I've been programming squats, bench, and OHP to hit 9/8/7/6/5 rep working sets. Im not convinced that this is all that effective for those lifts. Especially for bench and OHP, the volume is a bit high to benefit from the calculated self-regulation. I've been putting out very poor performances on the later sets.

7/9 Thursday

BW = 206 (definitely not on a cut)

Squats. Cut out OHP and accessories. Rough day at work.

FitNotes Workout - Thursday 9th July 2015** High Bar Squat **- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps- 185.0 lbs x 10 reps- 235.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR]- 240.0 lbs x 9 reps [PR]- 245.0 lbs x 8 reps- 250.0 lbs x 7 reps [PR]- 255.0 lbs x 6 reps- 260.0 lbs x 2 reps [3rd on safeties]
Not much to say about this workout. The squats were all ATG. Not much DL DOMS until the heavier squat sets upset my lower back.

Fuck hurricane season!

The sun set 2.5 hours ago. It's still over 32 degrees Celsius inside the house. For Fahrenheit people, take 32, times by 9, divide by 5, then add 32 and you get 90 degrees F. The F stands for Fucking hot!

And for mainland desert people who think 90 degrees F isn't hot, consider the effects of humidity. It's roughly 100% humidity right now. I don't have a humidity sensor, so how do I know? I can see it in the air. And on the windows. And on the walls.

7/11 Saturday

Full body before carbs. Upped efforts on Sumo and Shovel. Pussed on SplitSquats.

FitNotes Workout - Saturday 11th July 201526hr fast** Sumo Deadlift ** (Superset 1)- 135.0 lbs x 20 reps- 225.0 lbs x 15 reps [PR]- 295.0 lbs x 12 reps [Straps]- 315.0 lbs x 12 reps [PR] [Straps]- 335.0 lbs x 10 reps [PR] [Straps.]** Chin Up ** (Superset 1)- 10 reps- 10 reps- 10 reps- 10 reps- 10 reps** Ring Push Ups ** (Superset 2)- 12 reps- 12 reps- 12 reps- 12 reps** Inverted Row ** (Superset 2)- 12 reps- 12 reps- 12 reps- 12 reps** Low Bar Squat **- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps [Warming up legs again]- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps** Split Squat ** (Superset 3)- 135.0 lbs x 3 reps [Balance not good enough for HighBar]- 160.0 lbs x 6 reps [PR] [Dumbbells 2x80. All sets per side.]- 160.0 lbs x 5 reps** Overhead Press ** (Superset 3)- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps- 135.0 lbs x 10 reps** Upright Row ** (Superset 3)- 135.0 lbs x 12 reps [Sumo grip width]- 135.0 lbs x 12 reps [Press grip width]** Shovel Deadlift **- 90.0 lbs x 14 reps [All sets per side. All plates one side.]- 100.0 lbs x 10 reps- 110.0 lbs x 8 reps [PR]

7/12 Sunday

Spinal Tap Bench, with some upper back.

Cranked the volume up to 11 tons.

FitNotes Workout - Sunday 12th July 2015Bench volume : 23,295 lbs across 135 reps** Bench Press **- 135.0 lbs x 24 reps [PR]- 155.0 lbs x 20 reps- 165.0 lbs x 18 reps- 175.0 lbs x 16 reps- 185.0 lbs x 14 reps- 195.0 lbs x 12 reps [PR] [r12 long grind, couldn't keep tight]- 205.0 lbs x 7 reps [Rolled off #8, losing strength]- 215.0 lbs x 6 reps [Rest-paused. 3, 10 breaths, 2, 10 breaths, 1. Rolled #7. Back spasms]- 225.0 lbs x 5 reps [Rest-paused 10 breath singles. Rolled 6th.]- 185.0 lbs x 5 reps [3+2, rolled 6th]- 185.0 lbs x 8 reps [Long rest. r8 long grind]** Barbell Shrug **- 185.0 lbs x 18 reps- 185.0 lbs x 18 reps- 185.0 lbs x 20 reps [PR]** Chest-Supported Wide-Grip Barbell Row **- 135.0 lbs x 19 reps- 135.0 lbs x 20 reps [PR]- 135.0 lbs x 20 reps** Taking Shirt Off **- 1.0 lbs x 1 rep [PR] [Long grind.]
Oh yeah!

Also experimented with homemade QuestBars.

• Like 1
** Taking Shirt Off ** - 1.0 lbs x 1 rep [PR] [Long grind.]Oh yeah!

Also experimented with homemade QuestBars.

I think this was my fav part....

How did they go?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

When I experiment, I like to keep notes. Here are my notes.

7/12/15

Attempt #1

6 TBSP IMO syrup 90g fiber

3 scoop isopure whey isolate "creamy vanilla" 2g fat 75g protein

2 TBSP (1/8 cup) almond flour 7g fat, 3carb(2fiber, 1sugar), 3g protein

78g protein

9g fat

93g carb (92g fiber, 1sugar)

Whisked whey and flour

Boiled syrup

Combined

Hand pressed crumbs into parchment paper

Kneaded out into loaf pan

Cooled

Results: heavy pressed and kneaded areas were hard like hard caramel brittle, lightly pressed edges were more airy and crumbly, sweet not unlike white chocolate. Lightly packing the crumbs directly into a mold, rather than kneading out, would make a questbar like texture.

Attempt #2

6 TBSP egg whites 10g protein

6 TBSP (3/8 cup) almond flour 21g fat, 9carb(5fiber, 3sugar), 9g protein

Tsp vanilla extract

Sprinkle of salt

23 fat, 94 protein, 99 carb (95 fiber, 3 sugar)

Combine

Pour in parchment paper lined load pan

Bake 200f 1.5hrs

Results: gooey and gelatinous with a top crust. Very similar to a cross between Dulce de Leche and Bibingka. Adding unsweetened shredded coconut to this would be perfect.

I called in sick today and didn't workout, but I did another few experiments with the IMO syrup.

7/13/15

Attempt #3

6 TBSP egg whites 10g protein

3 TBSP (3/16 cup) almond flour 11g fat, 5carb(3fiber, 1sugar), 5g protein

Tsp vanilla extract

Sprinkle of salt

13 fat, 90 protein, 95 carb (90 fiber, 1 sugar)

Mixed egg whites, vanilla, whey, and flour

Boiled syrup

Combined

Continued to stir on low heat while eggs set

Scooped into parchment paper lined loaf pan

Cooled

Results: lumpy, sticky, gooey. Not a good finish. Freezing. Maybe tossing it in almond flour might make it more interesting, and easier to handle.

Attempt #4 (redo of #1)

3 TBSP (3/16 cup) almond flour 11g fat, 5carb(3fiber, 1sugar), 5g protein

Tsp vanilla extract

80g protein

13g fat

95g carb (93g fiber, 1sugar)

Whisked whey and flour

Boiled syrup and vanilla

Combined, stirring and breaking up with a fork

Fork pressed crumbs into parchment paper lined loaf pan

Cooled

Results: rigid bar that looks like a rice crispy marshmallow treat. Very crumbly. Press harder next time. The dried edges (freezer) were crunchy, while the inside was more chewy. It all ends up chewy as its being chewed.

Next: try to high bake this combination of ingredients. See if the airiness can come from the boiling of the water in the syrup instead of being packed in with crumbs.

I think I will do volume squats tomorrow. I'm switching the order so that squats are done before DLs. The DL hammered low back and hams were affecting my squats too much. I'm also switched the partner exercises for those two. DLs were also destroying my grip, making my PullUp performance subpar. PullUps will be on squat days, and OHP will be on DL days.

7/14/15

Attempt #5

2 TBSP (1/8 cup) almond flour 7g fat, 3carb(2fiber, 1sugar), 3g protein

1/4 Tsp baking powder (might be old)

1-2 TBSP water

78g protein

9g fat

93g carb (92g fiber, 1sugar)

Whisked whey, flour, and baking powder

Folded into syrup

Added water until the feta texture watered down to cottage cheese texture

Scooped into parchment paper lined loaf pan

Baked 275 F. 30min

Results: Maybe not baked long enough. Top semi formed a decent crust that would be better with higher heat. Top half of the 'loaf' got bready like super dense pound cake. Bottom half is dense and pastey like store bought packaged Japanese Anko. More moisture needed to be baked out of it. Tastes ok, these ingredients will always taste ok.