Scouts Tavern: General Chat and Questions

18ck

Quiet because we are working those challenges.  LOL   ha ha ha

Starting to sweat the bigger rides the next couple weekends due to other things going on.  Diet has been a bit of a struggle but overall I am pretty happy.  Lost 2.2lbs this week too which is an unexpected win.

• Like 3

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Couple of days of quiet here in the tavern ... how are the challenges going?

I'm hoping to make my 20 miles this week without having to break 6 miles Saturday but it isn't looking good there.

After an injury, I did a power walk today. Still really tender but I'm getting back at it! Hoping to go back to running next week. Logging some miles, even if they're very slow miles :)

• Like 2

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Time to start working on your hill sprints!

Red Bull 400m!

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39
Current Challenge #40 Strickland5 themes on

I'd do it. That sound insane.

• Like 2

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

Time to start working on your hill sprints!

Red Bull 400m!

I have to admit that I would love to try it.  I may end up sliding down but I would love to try it.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Hey scouts how was the weekend? Saw quite a few races on the calender so hope those were all PR/PB races for those who were running.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39
Current Challenge #40 Strickland5 themes on

Time to get to know our scout of the week a little better, AgentSpidermonkey:

What type of scout are you?

I am a runner. I bike and swim for fun, and also lift weights, but mostly I'm all about pounding the pavement. One foot in front of the other! =) 

Do you prefer speed or endurance?

I am VERY slow, so I sort of favor endurance because, well, it's all I've got! I have never been very athletic; my only claim to athletic fame is 4 years in the color guard in high school marching band. I quit every other sport I tried. I even tried running in grade school but quit after I got lost in the woods during our first race. It's taken a lot of time for me to build a base of physical fitness - I started running about two years ago and I'm just to the point now where I can run a whole 5K without stopping. I'm hoping that if I just keep working hard, the speed will come.

How did you get into "scouting"?

In July 2013, my friend Tina participated in a sprint triathlon. She invited some friends to come watch and cheer her on, and we spent the whole day watching everyone swim, bike, and run. We stood on the sidelines cheering for everyone as they passed. At the finish line, we clapped and yelled to everyone that they were almost there, just a little more, keep going! So many people said thank you or thanked us for cheering. It was such a happy, energetic, fun event, and it was nice to feel like I was part of it. I walked away that day with a little voice in my head that I'd never heard before ... "I bet I could do that." I bought some gear and started running on my lunch breaks. I've been "scouting" ever since! 

What was your favorite "scouting" moment?

I love running 5Ks; my epic goal is to run a marathon. I ran my first 5K with my friend Lauren. I ran my second 5K with my co-worker, John. Since then, I've run with friends and family - my husband, Gary, my sister, Wendi, my mom, my aunt Kara (we've run two together), my aunt Margaret, my cousin Adam, friends Kim, Carrie, and even Tina, who I'd watched run the triathlon. This is my favorite part of scouting - we're totally a family, and everyone is incredibly supportive. I might not look very athletic, but in this community, that's not important- to be a runner, all you have to do is run. I started a Wordpress blog, The Awesome Runner's Awesome Running Blog, and I found a great community of people who are all runners, regardless of our fitness level. During my second 5K, I was taking a walk break - it was HOT that day and I was within a half mile of the finish line. I was walking past a line of cars that were stuck in traffic because of our race, and as soon as I picked up the pace, I heard people cheering for me from their car - these complete strangers, who were stuck in their car because of the race I was part of, were cheering for me. It just fills you with such a sense of pride and camaraderie. 

What is the best advice you can give other scouts?

The best advice I have to give is to be your awesome self and have a good time with it. When I started running, I'm sure a lot of people were confused - here's this girl, over two hundred pounds, and she thinks she's a runner? YES. Be authentically you, and don't worry that other people might have a different opinion - your opinion is the only one that matters. Don't be afraid to try new things. You have to start somewhere! Embrace your awesomeness. 

Anything else you want to mention?

Anything else I want to mention? Thank you, Nerd Fitness community: you are a bunch of amazing, supportive people - I don't know where I'd be without you.

• Like 4

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Week 2's PvP Winner in the Mini Challenge

with a

302% increase in exercises

is...

AgentSpiderMonkey

Congratulations!!

You have earned

an important and confident advance in the direction of your dreams!

Thoreau would be pleased and

we are definitely proud of you!!

• Like 4

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I've been away for aaaaaages. Did I miss anything?

hey Trolleybags!

Welcome back!! We're scooting right along.

We have some new leadership now: awesomesue (aka suelk) and Hansjay are our Ambassadors and bgvanbur and Strickland5 and myself are our Guild Leaders.

We have some new Scouts which is always great and some folks that have been away for awhile have returned as well as you. It must be Scout Homecoming Week!!

Glad you're back - You wanna set up a half a challenge, please do. No worries either way of course, you're always welcome to hang with us no matter what!

Cheers

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Man, I'm such a dink, I didn't even know we did a scout of the week feature. Very cool. Now I need to go check out the other stuff I've been missing out on...

Thanks for the recognition! Ran almost a mile and a half barefoot today, and it felt great!

• Like 2

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Pavowski was a great sport and thoroughly answered the scout of the week interview!

What type of scout are you?

I am strictly a runner. Not to take anything away from bikers or swimmers (I've never tried either really), but I have tasted my forbidden fruit and I am happy here in the loneliness of the long distance runner. In the last year or so, since I've joined NF, I've taken to peppering in a lot of body weight cross training as well. I think this sort-of assassin-ish training supplements the running well, and a strong runner is a happy runner.

Do you prefer speed or endurance?

A few years ago, I would have told you, without a doubt, speed. In my first year of running, I grew by leaps and bounds, getting faster with every race I attempted. The crown jewels in my diadem were a 1:42:38 half marathon and a 21:53 5k. Not breaking any records or anything, but not bad for a guy my age either, especially one who's been overweight since high school. But I think I soared a little too high, too fast, and I ended up seriously injuring both my feet, one after the other. Over the last year and a half, I've had to scale way back on my distances and speeds to even make running possible. I'm gaining my strength back, but it's slow going, so if you asked me today, I would definitely say I prefer endurance. The journey is the thing, and I want to be running strong, safe, and without injury for a long time.

How did you get into scouting?

Man. I really got into scouting 3 times in my life.

Time number the first, I was twenty-something, and frustrated at the 20-some pounds I'd put on since high school. I took up running as the cardio component of a pretty severe diet and exercise plan. I lost fifteen pounds, got up to running almost three miles, then one morning I didn't lace up and I didn't lace up for another year.

Time number the second, much like the first I was almost thirty, and frustrated that I was pushing 200 pounds. I was living at home, my life was in the dumps, and I took up running to get in shape: better shape = better life, right? Well, it wasn't that simple, and I crashed and burned faster than the first time.

Time number the third, I was in my early thirties and my wife was pregnant with my son. (Does this sound familiar?) I looked at my dad, who has been extremely overweight for my whole life, and I realized, I don't want that for my son. I want to be a dad that can chase the kids around the yard and give him a run for his money when he starts playing sports. (The kid will play sports, right?) About the same time, my sister (who had just run her 3rd marathon) invited me to do a 5k with her and her husband. I think in the business, they call that a perfect storm. I signed up, trained, and ran the race 3 months later. Seeing the birth of my son, and seeing the fact that people of all shapes and sizes could love running and turn out for a race flipped the switch in me: I've been running ever since (4 years strong now!)

What was your favorite scouting moment?

If we're talking about momentous occasions, it would have to be my first (and fastest) half marathon. It took me through the streets of downtown Atlanta in the wee, brisk hours of an early March morning (that would be the Publix Marathon and Half-Marathon, for anybody in the area). It was surreal to see the thousands of people taking over the streets... that would be thousands of participants and probably as many again in volunteers and roadside cheerers. The route took us through Centennial Park, Inman Park, near the zoo, through Georgia State's downtown campus, and through the Georgia Tech campus. Now, I'm a University of Georgia alum myself, but coming down that hill into the heart of Tech, with the band playing a thumping march that you could feel in your bones and the students up slinging hot chocolate and jellybeans for the exhausted runners at mile 11... that was flat-out awesome.

As for non-momentous occasions, I could easily cite any of the numerous sunrises I've witnessed thanks to my running (I usually run at about 5 in the morning during the school year -- oh yeah, I'm a teacher in real life). In particular, there's this one undeveloped street just a couple miles from my house with a deep grassy valley just over to the side that fills with mist on many a morning, and one could feel almost spiritual despite being a two-minute drive from the Wal-Mart.

Or -- OR! -- the moment when my son (now three years old) asked if he could hop out of his stroller while we were out for a run. (During the summer months, if I want to run, I have to take the sprouts with me, since my wife works.) Man, the heartfeels. He managed about a tenth of a mile before he got winded, but he looked so happy.

What is the best advice you can give other scouts?

If you're just starting out: slow down.

I'm 90% sure that going out too fast is why I burned out in my first two tries at running. We get this impression that if you're going to run at all, you have to go as fast as you can, and that's just not true -- in fact, it's unsustainable, and it makes you feel like a run-over burrito besides. Working on speed is great, but for most runs you should go at an easy pace, one at which you aren't struggling for breath (the rule of thumb I always hear is, you should be able to hold a conversation). Slow and steady wins the race isn't just metaphorical advice from a turtle. The only race you're really running is a race against yourself. Don't worry about Meb Keflegiwhatever or Kara Goucher or whoever else is running the miles and the paces you wish you could run, and making it look effortless as anything to add insult to injury. You're not going to catch them, and you'll burn out trying. If you can run faster or farther today than you did yesterday, you're winning.

If you're getting the hang of this running thing: listen to your body.

The temptation to do more miles, more speed, more runs in the week is there, as alluring as a sweaty glass of ice-cold lemonade on a 95 degree Atlanta afternoon. And it's easy to think, I can push through the pain, I can get one more mile, I can sprint for twenty more seconds. And you probably can. But pain is there to tell us we're doing something wrong, and it's a lesson I learned the hard way. (I've been making the payments on my failure to listen to my body for the past year and a half.) Listen to the aches and pains, and don't be afraid to back off your training regime, or even take a few days (or even a week, if the situation calls for it) off.

Anything else you want to mention?

I think I've gone on long enough, haven't I?

Well, maybe a couple things.

1. Try running barefoot. This is a big component of my current challenge, and I'm up to doing almost a mile and a half at a stretch without my shoes during my regular runs, two or three times a week. Now, I've been working up to that over the past several months, so don't get crazy; for a first jaunt I'd limit myself to a tenth of a mile or so, certainly no more than a quarter. Running without shoes will teach you a lot about the way your body moves to naturally absorb shock and deal with the (extreme) forces of running. For more information, check out the Natural Running Center. Lots of videos and articles with tons of information about fixing the way we run.

2. Find a group. Running is so often a solo activity, it can be nice to fly with some like-minded crazies from time to time. Running with other people is a great way to work on pace, learn new routes and places to run, or just relax a little during your favorite cardio activity.

3. Sign up for a race. I'd especially recommend this to beginners, because there is nothing that will hold your feet to the fire and force you out of bed than the reminder that you've spent money to run a race in six weeks. Signing up for a race keeps you honest in your training, gives you a tangible goal to work towards, and is a great way to meet runners in your area. Also, they give you shirts. You will need so many running shirts.

4. Have something else to do. Inevitably, one day, you'll wake up and you literally won't be able to run. Whether it's a thundering hailstorm, it's 100 degrees in the shade, or your feet feel like Thor's been pounding on them with his big stonking hammer, the day will come when you just can't make yourself do it. Have an alternative. Pick a body weight routine that you can do with no equipment. If you're a member of a gym, try an elliptical or a rowing machine. But have something on standby so that your training doesn't have to fall apart if your running does. They say you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, and this plays to that. 

5. Relax and enjoy it. It may be an inevitable truth of running that it sucks in the beginning. Forcing the body to move when it's used to sitting on the couch and watching reruns of Law and Order all day long involves some pain and resistance. But once you push through that, once your body begins to adapt and enjoy the sensation of moving through space, of feeling the wind in your hair (or in my case, over your shaven dome), of the well-documented mental benefits of running, it can be one of the most enjoyable activities a human can partake of. But only if you let it be. You have to relax, let go of expectations and insecurities, stop worrying about making the pace for that next mile, stop stressing about not running far enough or often enough, and just enjoy the run. If you can do that, running will become less about exercising and more about making your life better. Even awesome.

• Like 3

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot