Scouts Tavern: General Chat and Questions

18ck

I love Scout of the Week.  I really enjoy the little interview.  Just awesome.

Congratulations Qengpubenal!

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Time for her scout of the week interview:

What type of scout are you?

I run...well, run may be a generous term. I kind of jog...let's just say I move in a running motion!

Do you prefer speed or endurance?

I don't really have a preference at the moment. I'm still excited when I can run for ten minutes and breathe at the end!

How did you get into "scouting"?

I'm not sure how I got into scouting. I think something in my childhood nust ahve affected me. I have always equated working out and getting healthy with running. There was never really another option for me. Plus, running is something I don't need a gym membership for! Of course, I'm a huge fan of the Zombies!Run apps, so that kind of feeds my love of scouting!

What was your favorite "scouting" moment?

My first 5K (and so far, my only 5K) was a virtual run. My brother's wife had paid for my youngest daughter and I to enter the Doctor Who Anniversary Virtual 5K. I worked really hard to get to the point where I felt like I could make it the entire distance. My wife was driving with us as our support vehicle and water station.

I remember feeling like I was going to die. It was so hard. And then my daughter (who was 7 at that time) said, "Look Mommy! I don't have to run to keep up with you! I can just walk really fast!" She then spent the rest of the time running ahead and then coming back to run with me some more!

What is the best advice you can give other scouts?

Be consistent. Even if all you do is walk around the block a couple of times because you had a terrible day. Moving in some way every day, even just a little, helps you stay in the mindset of scouting. I find that when I don't do something every day it's much easier for me to let that "day off" stretch into a "week off" or a "month off."

Anything else you want to mention?

I'm a girl! I know that the origianl announcement said 'he' and stuff. It's an honest mistake since I do talk about my wife on here a lot! That's pretty much it! I'm happy to answer any other questions if anyone has some!

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Hello, new here.  awesomesue saw my challenge thread in the Recruit forum and invited me here.  

Glad you stopped by!

Want a dose of amazing?  Check out her challenge.  Killing it so far.

• Like 2

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Welcome, Eowyn14, glad you stopped by to say Hey.

So what things can you tell us about yourself?

Good luck with the rest of the week!

Cheers

Well let's see.  49, F, been running off and on for several years.  More off than on for the past 5 years but finally got back into it and back to a consistent running schedule.  I have a 17 year old son, two cats, and a dog.  I run with my dog a lot - she gets really excited when she sees me putting on my running shoes!  This summer I've ran 2 half maras and an 8 mile trail race.  Other things I like to do include knitting and sewing, and watching soccer and NASCAR.

• Like 3

Level 1, Scout

My Challenge Thread.  I'm Chronologically Blessed!

Anything unattempted remains impossible.

Would folks be willing to pop over to RubyRunner?  They are working C25K and had a question about calves seizing up.  See post #13 please.  Any input would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Week 3 of the mini is up!

Out of curiosity, what kinds of things are you interested in for mini challenges?  We seem to be such a quiet bunch since we are out conquering the world....mmuuuaaahahahahaha!

• Like 1

Interview time with the scout of the week, Syren!

I am a swimming scout, and while swimming could fall anywhere among the classes, I chose to be a Scout because I love distance swimming! I also dabble in a little crosstraining to help go that distance and just be stronger and more bendy in day to day life. I would love to bike and run, for days when I can't get to the pool or just go from place to place around town, but I physically cannot due to a prior injury. 

I have not run any races, and I was never a competitive swimmer, but my workouts are always endurance heavy. I throw speed drills in from time to time to be a well rounded swimmer, but I love distance swims. My US Master's Swimming Coach and I sometimes have a point of contention about this, since she is all about speed and middle distance.

So I... hate to sweat. Always have, but I have lessened my hatred of it since I started using the NerdFitness Boards. However, as a kid, I loved the water. Usually you could not get me out of the water, and if you did I would share the worst angry kid face imaginable to anyone that tried to talk to me, as my relatives love to relate. I did not get to do water sports unless I went to camp, so I was an avid camper as a result.

As I got older, I still loved to be in the water, which is great for a marine biologist, but I didn't know how to swim strokes other than freestyle and backstroke which I needed to be SCUBA certified. Shortly after I was certified I took a class in swimming the competitive strokes -- because I wanted to be a lifeguard -- not to save lives, but to certainly have regular pool access. I was 18 with a class full of 6 year olds, so it was a little embarrassing, but I made it through and had learned the basic moves of the other three strokes -- butterfly, breaststroke, and sidestroke.  Once I had a date set for a lifeguard training class, I started swimming every day, because at that time a 500 yard swim was required to pass the exam (now it is only 300 yards). 

It was great, and I was hooked with the idea to go a little farther every day. Being a lifeguard was very helpful too! Most of the places I have worked wanted us to do inservice training at least twice a week that would include a swimming distance. I would also guard the swim team practices,which would bore all the other lifeguards, but I soaked techniques and criticisms up like a sponge and got a chance to chat briefly with the coaches about some of the more quirky things they did like wearing circulation bands.

I was never a biker or a runner, so I was not sent into an awful spiral after my car wreck. While I could not swim until most of my ligament damage had healed, I would only be out of commission for breaststroke, which has opened me up to a new favorite stroke -- butterfly. I have had to learn to modify my breaststroke kick since I am still a lifeguard, but it gets me to anyone who needs me almost as fast as my flutter kick. 

Now I just swim for fitness and to maintain my lifeguard training in an attempt to get down to a weight that doesn't put too much extra pressure on my ankle.

Ok, I fibbed, I have been in one race -- I swam the 50 meter breaststroke for the Junior Classical League Nationals swimming olympiad. I only managed 4th place, but I was so proud since I had just recently started swimming regularly and had learned breaststroke. It used to be my favorite stroke, and I was not half bad at it.

You really have to love your exercise or your sport to come back to it day after day -- even if it seems like the most boring thing in the world to other people around you  -- definitely be in love with what you do, or it will burn you out quickly and take more will power to make it through.

Thanks for letting me chat about my scouting obsession!

• Like 2

What is happening in ScoutLand?

I'm heading to Chicago this weekend for a short get away with the wife, we're looking forward to running on Lakefront Trail then eating our way through the city :)  

• Like 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 
Current Challenge : # 38 Strickland5 respawns

Time for the interview with the Scout of the Week (thruhikemaine)!

Mostly running, although my favorite way to experience the world is with a backpack filled with everything to carry me for the next set of alloted days.

I think I prefer endurance.  The longest race I have entered is 15.5 miles, but I am hoping to enter longer races in the coming years.  I guess there is some speed involved there though, as i am working towards setting a FKT of the presidential traverse, but even aiming for 4 hours for 19.8 miles, that's not exactly break neck speed.

Well, that's hard to say.  I did do cross country for 1 year in middle school,  but I think it was more during my years wrestling in high school.  You might not expect a wrestling team to instill the idea of running, but we ran ALOT!  We would run 3 miles everyday before practice, and do indian sprints for half an hour (for those unfamiliar, this involved the person in the rear sprinting to the front, and when they make it to the front, the next person starts sprinting) at least a couple days a week.  Running was also a way to lose weight, although rarely did we do that in a healthy way.  I would put a couple layers of winter jackets and snow pants on and than go running for half an hour.

Although it might sound miserable, the competitive nature made it fun.  Last January I was in boston and went for a run, tracking it but turning all voice cues off.  I just went for a jog, and 5.5 miles later I was starving but amazed how far I had gone!

Just last week, I was taking the kids on a run, and a fairly large resident was being very quiet.  He had lost a lot of weight in the 6 months he had been with us, but he has a long ways to go.  After we had finished the first lap of 1.3 miles (only a few weeks before he had completed it for the first time) I gave the option for doing a second lap for anyone of them that wanted to.  He looked at me and said, "I'm going to finish a second lap."  So there we are, doing the second lap, with this normally loud and boisterous kid just trudging along.  We got to the final hill, with all of the gradual downhill of the rest of the lap condensed into one steep climb.  I decided it was time to remind him of some mental training we had done on previous runs.  "Where are you running to?"  Asking him to choose where he's going to stop running, making him commit to a spot.  He committed to running to the top of that hill, and he made it.  Although it's a lap I've done 5 times continuously, that second lap that day was so much more memorable than any other run I've done.

A phrase I teach the kids I work with is "it's a marathon, not a sprint."  A sprint is a top speed dash to the finish, but a marathon is a slower approach, "slow but steady".  You may not be there yet, but that's the point.  The finish line of a marathon, or any race, is worth it because you put so much effort into getting there, not because somebody drew a line on the road and you took a step across it.  There will be setbacks, and that's exciting!  Rise above those setbacks, and you shall remove the power it has over you, turning it into your power.

Enjoy it!  If you can't enjoy it, it's time to change something, be that what your doing, or the way your mind sees it!

• Like 3

Week 5!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Oh and we'll done, Princess 🍍

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.