Scouts Tavern: General Chat and Questions

18ck

Time for the scout of the week interview with Princess Pineapple!

What type of scout are you?
I'm definitely a runner. A newbie, but still a runner. I only started running at the start of June but it's now a part of my life. I do visit the gym and take classes a few times a week but that doesn't come as naturally as running.

Do you prefer speed or endurance?
Neither at the moment! I'm still trying to find what I'm better at but I'm sure it will be distance over speed. I've run 5km a few times now and my next goal is to run it under 30 minutes. I'm mentally planning on progressing to 10km in the first half of 2016 and half marathons in the latter part of 2016 although it depends on how fast I progress.

How did you get into "scouting"?
Having stopped sports when I left school, I did nothing until last year. My husband got a free gym membership so I went along too. I went sporadically but never loved it, then a couple of friends went to new running group which taught couch to 5k in a group. They all ended up completing the course so I thought I'd give it a go, I'd always been in awe of runners. I only intended to do the 10 weeks and then try a new sport but I fell in love and now I'm addicted. I'm twitchy if I don't run every few days.

What was your favorite "scouting" moment?
My first Parkrun a few weeks ago. It was only my second 5km run and I managed to do it in under 35 minutes. My youngest son was waiting at the end to cheer me over the line. It would've been unthinkable 3 months ago. I have no real exciting moments yet.

What is the best advice you can give other scouts?
I'm still an amateur and very inexperienced. My best advice would be to share your advice, wisdom and experiences with us newbs. We appreciate it!

Anything else you want to mention?

Only that NF has been fabulous and especially the scouts. Despite my newbie status, I have been made to feel as welcome and as important as the ultra marathon runners. You are all amazing! Thank you.

• Like 2

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Okay this parkrun thing sounds interesting.  Is this accurate?  http://www.parkrun.us/ In the US myself so I looked to see what they had and it looks like a whopping 4 events.  Cool idea for sure.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

It is week 6!  Don't forget about the Scout's Plumber Toolbox Race!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/68789-scouts-plumber-toolbox-race/#entry1567363

Drats I forgot about this ... hmm ... time to rework my Wednesday/Thursday run

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37
Current Challenge : ----

Thursday will be my epic walk! lol Sorry, Plumber Dude. You can, however, use every bit of help so my wisely-decided walk will do some good, for you and me! So steps?! Here I come!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

q9nFP7V.png

Cogratulations 18ck on a successful taper which led to a successful marathon (see the race report here)! So he earns the scout of the week award.

Thanks. I'm very proud to be picked, although I think you're being a bit generous in your description of...

*Kanye bursts on stage*

"Wait, I like you, 18ck and I'ma let you finish but BeyoncéVanBur ran one of the most badass ultra-marathons of all time!"

11a03001577edd0ccb8bb4f0d5eacaf4.jpg

For once Kanye, I think you might have a point. He deserves some recignition too, doesn't he? I hope he'll at least consider replying to Steve's recent email asking for success stories because I remember his early weight loss efforts when I first started, and now look at him bossing ultra marathons in his vibrams, leaving other contestants passed out in the dust behind him. That's Scout-of-the-last-3-years stuff, that is.

• Like 2

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

18ck's Scout of the Week interview:

I'm mostly a running Scout, because it's the simplest exercise a person can do, needs no special equipment and is good for evading zombies. I also like sculling (rowing with an oar on each hand), which is pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum, equipment-wise, but it's so great to be out on the water alone.

Um... Tricky one. I'm drawn to the idea of endurance and I've done three marathons now, but actually, that's a lot of time-commitment for those of us with kids and jobs, and, actually, I think I'm going to focus more on improving speed over shorter distances at least for now. It would be nice to knock a few minutes off my 5k and 10k times.

My Wife, whose name is Mrs 18ck, started running a few years ago. I was initially skeptical and I'm sorry to say not at all helpful or sympathetic, but over time I started to realize that in spite of all the cycling and walking I do in day to day life, I was starting to get fat and unhealthy so I decided to start running at New Year with no plan, just ran up and down the towpath, a but further every time till I could do 5k and sort of built up from there, found a good Park to run in. Then I started to get interested in rowing because I would see people doing it while I was running past, so I applied to join a club, took lessons and sort of got into that too. It's only £30 a month and they have freeweights and other stuff going on, and it's much more my style than joining a commercial gym chain.

Um... I've had some really good fun races. The best scoutery I've ever done would have to be the Great North Run, when I was at my fittest, fastest ever and did a really strong time, but I think even that would have to take second place to the C25K I did with my daughter earlier in the year, just because it was so much fun running and dancing and chatting in the dark, with our headlamps on.

I feel like a lot of people set out to start running via programmes to get in shape, and it's something they force themselves to do. I feel like maybe I'd advise people to start off finding a way to run that they enjoy, whether that's solo or with others, outdoors or on a treadmill (well, I suppose some people like them...), with music or without, just aim to make it interesting first, and there's more chance that you'll stick with it.

Fwiw, I call myself a free-range runner because I dont own a garmin, camelback or any other fancy schmancy gear, have only the vaguest idea of what my PRs are, don't really do much systematic training, prefer running outdoors and in muddy, leafy conditions. That's the closest I come to the spirit of "Born to Run" - I prefer things to be natural, all about freedom, not about buying stuff and measuring things.

• Like 1

This makes me want to go out and run! 

tumblr_nhdphb5k6z1r8epnko2_400.gif

• Like 2

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22

HELLO shiny new challenges 

I need to come up with something good for level 8

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Hi Everybody!!

Week Zero is on its way! How are we doing as Scouts?

What do you want from your GLs and Ambassadors? Cause we are curious.

We are here for you and if there are questions, ideas, and or concerns, lets hear it.

Now I'm gonna go check on your new, beautiful challenges and make my own!

Cheers!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

aHOYO2z.png

Congratulations go to Strickland5 for stringing together several awesome weeks.  Being a guild leader he would defer possible scout of the week nominations, but eventually with all that success he had to earn the scout of the week badge :)  See his awesomeness over on last challenge's thread.

• Like 4

aHOYO2z.png

Congratulations go to Strickland5 for stringing together several awesome weeks.  Being a guild leader he would defer possible scout of the week nominations, but eventually with all that success he had to earn the scout of the week badge :)  See his awesomeness over on last challenge's thread.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Half-Ork Scout Leader

Hey friends . . . I've been gone for a while, dealing with random personal stuff (injuries took me away from running, dealing with sickly husband, realizing I really do need to stop drinking, etc.). But I'm back, and psyched to start a new Challenge and bask in the awesomeness of Scoutly support. Woohoo!

• Like 1

Level 9 * Eladrin Scout

Clan: Mek'het   *   Covenant: Invictus

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."

––G. K. Chesterton

Hey friends . . . I've been gone for a while, dealing with random personal stuff (injuries took me away from running, dealing with sickly husband, realizing I really do need to stop drinking, etc.). But I'm back, and psyched to start a new Challenge and bask in the awesomeness of Scoutly support. Woohoo!

Welcome Back, Anathema!! So great to have you here with us again!

22nd level Wanderer

The Way

Anathema!

*slaughters fatted calf*

• Like 1

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Interview time with Strickland5!

I'm a runner. The two marathons and seven half marathons under my belt ... I'm definitely a runner. I occasionally bike - did a lot of biking when I injured my MCL - but it isn't my passion. Sadly, I can't tell you the last time I went for a swim.

I prefer endurance to speed. I find that volume helps build speed, but speed work won't build endurance. 

When I turned 30 I weighted some 300lbs. My doctor told me I needed to do something about my weight as my cholesterol was in a bad place due to it. This is how started it started. The wife and I would got for a few laps around our local park before dinner which lead to hiking on the weekends. 

A couple of rather good friends of ours "tricked" us into signing up for a trail 5K. They said "Oh its JUST like hiking". Long story short they lied, but the run bug got the wife and I and now I'm here. 

Had the Chicago marathon. The wife and I ran the race together from start to finish. It was as great a day with perfect temps and the occasion breeze as a runner could get. Over the course of the race our relationship ran the gambit of emotion - happy, upset, argumentative and back again.

We get to mile 26 and turn onto this bridge going over Roosevelt Rd and the bridge has a bit of a grade to it.. maybe 2%, but it felt like Everest at that point. The wife slows down to a walk and I turned to her and give her a look of "Wha?".  She says she's going to walk to which I reply that we're going to run over the finish line together and so it is time to push. The photographers actually got a couple of pictures of that moment. I was super proud of the wife for pushing through and myself for realizing she needed the slight push. 

Listen to your body - sometimes you need to rest and sometimes you need to push. Learn to know the difference between being tired and being busted. 

Never underestimate the value of cross training/strength work.
  • Like 5

Monk over here who will be running her first half in November (and has pretty much forsaken her monkly duties to build a challenge based on training). Just wanted to stop by, say hi, sub, and apologize in advance for all of the questions I'm sure I'm going to have in the coming weeks. :D 

So, hi and sorry in advance!

tumblr_nc5aurqgC21thvjezo1_500.gif

• Like 5

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

Monk over here who will be running her first half in November (and has pretty much forsaken her monkly duties to build a challenge based on training). Just wanted to stop by, say hi, sub, and apologize in advance for all of the questions I'm sure I'm going to have in the coming weeks. :D

So, hi and sorry in advance!

I got it ... monks + running == 

tumblr_llbixocRh21qcxexso1_500.gif

• Like 5

Half-Ork Scout Leader