• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

[archive / outdated] Challenge Questions Thread

CLOSING THIS THREAD AS IT IS OUTDATED, WE UPDATED THE CHALLENGE RULES 1/1/2016 AND THEY CAN BE FOUND HERE:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76052-challenge-rules-and-guidelines-updated-112016/

Questions about how the challenges work?

First, read this:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/76052-challenge-rules-and-guidelines-updated-112016/

If your question isn't answered there, ask it here!

• Like 1

You had hinted that there would be some changes coming, but the only thing I (don't) see is the omission of the Google Doc sign-up this time around. Is there any substantial change that return challengers should be aware of?

Otherwise, thanks for getting these up! Now I can stop checking the forums several times each day in anticipation...  :redface-new:

• Like 1

Quick Question: So the three fitness/diet/health related goals still stand, I don't see mention of a life quest.  I'm planning on adding that as a fourth goal anyways, but I'm curious as to why it was left out?  Perhaps some life quests added more of a workload?

Thank you and looking forward to getting my challenge set up! :nevreness:

Edited: I'm an idiot who skims instead of reading comprehensively.  IGNORE ME!

• Like 1

@redtomato501: I found the signup link on a post called L1 guidebook, on the Level 1 rebel forum of the adventurers guild... I don't know if that is required for this challenge though because the post that is pinned on the forum is from june 2014 (nor if there is a similar post on all guild's subforums)... signed up anyways because the post is in the current challenge's subforum...

@redtomato501: I found the signup link on a post called L1 guidebook, on the Level 1 rebel forum of the adventurers guild... I don't know if that is required for this challenge though because the post that is pinned on the forum is from june 2014 (nor if there is a similar post on all guild's subforums)... signed up anyways because the post is in the current challenge's subforum...

That signup sheet is out dated - I've edited her post to include the most recent rules and removing the sign up sheet.

redtomato501 - gradual small changes. :) We've started by simplifying the rules of the challenge and removing the sign up sheet.

• Like 4

Why are the lv1's now a subforum of Adventurers? I though Lv1s usually vastly outnumber any other guild. I would have expected to see lv1 subforums such as "STR/END", "Weightloss", and "Serenity/Druid/Overall life betterment"  to sort by main goals.

Complete newbie here so sorry if this is a stupid question, just trying to figure out how to navigate... Since there is no "signup sheet" I just need to figure out my list of goals and plan to reach them, and how to measure my progress throughout the 6 weeks. Correct? That seems simple enough but I'm not sure where to put them? Do I "start new topic" in Nerd Fitness Rebellion→ 6 Week Challenges→ Current Challenge - January 5th to February 15th→ Adventurers?

or Nerd Fitness Rebellion→ 6 Week Challenges→ Current Challenge - January 5th to February 15th→ Recruit? Or as a start of my own battle log?? Or somewhere else completely?? Thanks!  :rolleyes-new:

• Like 3

You will want to start your new topic (6 week challenge) in the recruit forum, the second option you listed. I believe the battle log is used as a day-to-day journal for your workouts. That way they are not being split up every 6 weeks. The battle log is more of an extra.

• Like 2

I didn't know that there was a Recruit sub-forum for the newbies now... so I posted my first challenge in Adventurers! That's how it used to be, and the directions (as far as I saw, anyway, when I posted) still say for the level 1's to post in Adventurers to begin. Does it need to/is it possible for it to be moved to the correct sub-forum?

I've been scanning the archives for my first challenge, but I can't find it! And the search feature only brings up other users' archived challenges. Have I been deleted??

Nevermind! I found it! Syntactical Error

Hi! I wanted to sign up for a challenge. Is there no longer a form that you fill out? Or if there is, what's the link. I can't seem to find it. 

Nope, there's no longer a form to fill out! That's part of a series of small, gradual changes, as per the convo snippets below:

You had hinted that there would be some changes coming, but the only thing I (don't) see is the omission of the Google Doc sign-up this time around. Is there any substantial change that return challengers should be aware of? [...]

[...] redtomato501 - gradual small changes. :) We've started by simplifying the rules of the challenge and removing the sign up sheet.

So if you haven't already, go ahead and post your 6-week challenge thread in the appropriate category, and get to roaring!

I am a skinny guy. I don't see many skinny guy success stories?

Steve Kamb is the skinny guy success story. ;)

Also, sometimes the fluffier people got very skinny before putting on their muscles.  Our own superhero Staci (spezzy) is an example of this.  She ran and starved herself from 170 lbs down to a weak-as-a-kitten 117 lbs.  But then she learned about strength training!  She's gone from barely being able to press 5 lb dumbbells to, with consistent effort over time, being able to deadlift 400 lbs!

Steve can't profile every single awesome transformation on his blog that has happened among NF Rebels.  But if you join in, read the forums, get involved, chat with people about where they were compared to where they are now - I think you'll find that many people of all shapes and sizes have found tremendous success during their time here. 

Just keep in mind, it does take time.  Transforming ourselves isn't an overnight thing.  We get better 1 Level at at time.  But make some lifestyle changes, put in the effort, be patient and consistent, and your transformation will happen too.  :encouragement:

• Like 1

Hi. What does all this mean in terms of reps?

Week one: 3/3/3 x 185, 15x115 @8

I'm thinking

3 sets of 3 reps three times. Would that not be 9 sets of 3 reps?

I think it's 8 sets of 15 reps@ 115?

Thanks

Hi. What does all this mean in terms of reps?

Week one: 3/3/3 x 185, 15x115 @8

I'm thinking

3 sets of 3 reps three times. Would that not be 9 sets of 3 reps?

I think it's 8 sets of 15 reps@ 115?

Thanks

The first is 3 sets of 3 reps-per-set using 185 weight. For a grand total of 9 reps at that weight. More commonly you'll see it written 185x3x3, meaning weight x reps x sets. For example 185x10x3 would be 185 lifted for 10 reps each set for 3 sets, a grand total of 30 reps.

The second thing is 1 set of 15 reps of 115 weight. The @8 is an uncommonly used subjective system called rate of perceived exertion, in which the person puts a number (usually 1 - 10 scale) for how hard the set felt.

Also, it would be courteous to list either as 185# or 185kg, instead of just the number 185, since we have members from all over the world.

-