Laura's Still Nuttin' Challenge

Not a great night but I did get a lift in. No increase in weights. I was still a little worn out and didn't properly fuel beforehand. So..there we have it.

Thrusters: 45x2x10

Step up: 30x2x10 (going by single dbell weight now..thanks for the input friends)

One point row: 30x2x10 (These are fun)

Static lunge, foot elevated: 30x2x10

Push up: 2x10

Plank: 60 seconds x2

Hey! I'm going to give you a Gold Star for doing 2 60 second planks when you didn't feel up to factory specs. Nothing more challenging than a plank on an empty stomach!

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can enjoy all the things the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Well, no increase, maybe. But it doesn't look like you went backwards either. That's not a bad thing.

Very true. Other times I've felt less than stellar I've had to decrease. This one I powered through.. there is that :)

nuttin' is better than nothin'. :)

what's a static lunge w/ foot elevated?

hahahahhahhahaha...touche, Mama T, touche!

You basically do a lunge with one foot on a step and then go up and down for all of your reps instead of standing up straight and bringing your feet back together.

(Static lunge, rear foot elevated.)

Thanks for the link answer :)

Hey! I'm going to give you a Gold Star for doing 2 60 second planks when you didn't feel up to factory specs. Nothing more challenging than a plank on an empty stomach!

Thanks, Seabright! Definitely the hardest plankin' I've done in a long time and I will gladly take that Gold Star :-D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Weekend Update

Saturday 11/5

Deadlift: 100x2x10

Bulgarian Split Squat: 25x2x10 **25 was rough last time but much easier this time-hooray! Using weight plates so I need to either go up to 45 (next option) or start using dumbbells

Underhand lat pulldown: 90x2x10 **used two little bar addition things on top of 85. Someone told me they are 2.5 each..not sure but that seems about right

Reverse lunge w/forward reach: 20x2x10

Cuban Prone Snatch: 10x2x10 **these suck

Side plank: 30 seconds each side x2 ** Thought of Damy while doing these. I might get all silly and start lifting one leg.

Sunday 11/6

I had intended to do Kishi's card game as part of the Strength Squad's self inflicted challenge but I did not. I could say I wasn't feeling well again (which is true) but part of my challenge is not to let life get in the way of challenge. I probably could have worked through it but I did not. So...fail on my part.

Sunday is always grocery shopping/batch cooking day for me. I bought the first item in my "try new foods" challenge: Kohlrabi. I'm not sure how I'm going to eat it yet. Research time!

Week 2 Update:

Okay, so the sickness got me this week. I was Zombie Laura (braaaaaains) for the first 3 days or so.

Successes:

• I got in 2 out of 3 of my usual lifts-not part of my goal BUT I'm just happy for that.
  • Deadlift goal--making real progress I think. According to the One Rep Max calculator mine is 133. Not far from 150.
  • Purchased first food in the "Try new foods" goal--1/3 for challenge!
  • No stress eating though stress continues to run high.
  • All workouts logged here.
Failures:

• No high intensity workout shenanigans
  • No Strength Squad weekly challenge completed
  • Only got in 1/3 mwods for the week and it wasn't even a new one (not that is has to be)
  • Inconsistent food intake. While sick I was ravenous so I ate as much as I wanted (ok). Post sick I continued that trend (not ok).
  • No further work with sewing machine.
  • Allowed life to get in the way.
Other:

• No work on the handstand yet but that's okay. Not trying to go upside down with a head full of ick.
  • Measurements due as it's the end of week 2. I'm waiting a day or two b/c I'm super poofy right now and I want accurate measurements. Aiming for tomorrow post work but pre workout.
  • Tonight's the last night of thrusters. I finally feel like I'm getting it. I don't think I'll be continuing them so that goal might need to be revisited.
  • Not making progress on the push up front. I wonder why. Thoughts?

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

I could probably get a few more in the first round but by the end of the second set it's pretty much all I've got. The way I figure it, I'm still at my level of ~13 push ups in one go. That's what I found out I could do last challenge.

[*]Not making progress on the push up front. I wonder why. Thoughts?

No ideas for why you're not having any progress, but I do have a suggestion for a thing you could try:

In stage 6 of NRoLfW, the workouts concentrated on upper body strength, and each workout dropped the number of reps so you could add weight. With the pushups, there wasn't a good way to add more weight when you dropped reps, so they suggested that you pause at the bottom for increasingly long periods of time. So the first workout I was doing 2 sets of 10 pushups and for the second to last workout I was doing 3 sets of 4, but I hung out at the bottom for a count of 10. The for the the last workout you did two sets of as many reps as you could each time. I hadn't tested my max reps before I started, but at the beginning of stage 6 I could not do a pull-up and by the end I could, so my upper body strength increased that in that way, so I assume I also got better at doing pushups.

All this is a long winded way of saying that you could try doing sets of fewer pushups and putting a pause in while you're in the down position before pushing up again, and see if that helps with the number of pushups you can do when you take the pause out.

I could probably get a few more in the first round but by the end of the second set it's pretty much all I've got. The way I figure it, I'm still at my level of ~13 push ups in one go. That's what I found out I could do last challenge.

Well, there is something you could try, then. Go for broke on one set. Then, when you figure out your limit, knock a couple off of there, and just practice a few sets at that rate.

So, to give this some numbers, say you fail at 13. That means you put a couple of reps in reserve and start practicing sets of 11. Do that for about a week or so, then next week you add one or two more on. You just keep practicing at that level for the week. The following week, you add on two more, and so on and so forth.

And if you go too far and fail, then just scale back a bit and try again. I found that that's worked for me.

Sounds like you're pushing through the stress and sickness -- both very hard, but very important! I have a feeling that if week three were a person, you'd be getting ready to punch it in the throat. Onward!

>> Jay

BLOG ~ TWITTER

It's never too late to be who you might have been. -- George Eliot

The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity. -- Rollo May

Sounds like you're pushing through the stress and sickness -- both very hard, but very important! I have a feeling that if week three were a person, you'd be getting ready to punch it in the throat. Onward!

Hahaha! I legit LOLed :) Heck yeah!

God. You're some kind of machine. Lunges are bad enough on their own, let alone with weight, and the back foot elevated. I've never tried that one with weight. Without weight I could get about 7 or 8 in, but holy hell were they ever tough and man did my legs get sore.

God I hate lunges. Have I complained about that recently :)

God. You're some kind of machine. Lunges are bad enough on their own, let alone with weight, and the back foot elevated. I've never tried that one with weight. Without weight I could get about 7 or 8 in, but holy hell were they ever tough and man did my legs get sore.

God I hate lunges. Have I complained about that recently :)

HAHAHA Thanks! You should hear the stream of obscenities going through my head during them. They are heinous!

You guys are so great! Motivating to the extreme!

11/7

The last of the thrusters! 45x2x10

** These didn't increase at all during the entire time I did this workout series. Disappointing. Form was a lot harder to get than I thought. I finally feel like I've got a solid base, though. So, there's that.

Step up: 30x2x10

**These are easy (relatively speaking) on the legs but hard on the grip. I wanted to increase but it just wasn't happening.

Dumbbell One Pt Row: 30x2x10

Static lunge: 30x2x10

Push up: 2x10

Plank 60 x2

Another day where I don't feel like I properly fueled. I need to make some good pre workout snacks to carry on my public transit commute home from work. It generally takes 1.5 hours and cuts out one of my usual eating times. I've tried eating right before leaving work and right as I get home but it's not enough. I need something more complete closer to my workout.

Really glad this workout set is over (well, almost. I have one more on Thurs). There have been minimal gains and I feel like my body is moving in the wrong direction (proven by the disappointing measurements I'm about to post).

Week 2 measurements:

Shoulders: 40 (same)

Biceps: L-12, R-11 3/4 (1/4 increase...not so much muscley)

Chest: 35 1/2 (1/4 decrease..really?)

Above navel: 32 3/4 (2 1/4 increase?! WTF?!)

Below navel: 38 1/2 (1 1/2 increase?! again WTF?!)

Hips: 41 (3/4 increase :()

Thighs: L-24, R-24 (Finally evened out and the only place I feel like my gain is muscle.)

UGH. This is exactly why I'm ditching this workout routine. Failsauce all over the place.

Are you doing NROL for Women? At least, the routine sounds familiar. A couple years ago I did two full cycles of NROLFW and while I enjoyed it as I was brand new to lifting, I think some of the lifts can get a little.... fussy. Also, there isn't enough explicit progression built in, imo. I've actually noticed mad gains in doing SL 5x5 the last two weeks more than any other protocol I've tried (including NROL for Men, Wendler 5/3/1, and When-I-make-stuff-up-that-usually-doesnt-work). I might keep around a few of the lifts as assistance work (like negative chins and one leg DB deadlift). Are you planning on switching up the routine after Thursday?

Are you doing NROL for Women? At least, the routine sounds familiar. A couple years ago I did two full cycles of NROLFW and while I enjoyed it as I was brand new to lifting, I think some of the lifts can get a little.... fussy. Also, there isn't enough explicit progression built in, imo. I've actually noticed mad gains in doing SL 5x5 the last two weeks more than any other protocol I've tried (including NROL for Men, Wendler 5/3/1, and When-I-make-stuff-up-that-usually-doesnt-work). I might keep around a few of the lifts as assistance work (like negative chins and one leg DB deadlift). Are you planning on switching up the routine after Thursday?

I am. And I don't like it. The first phase was okay. It was a lot more basic in the the lifts and I saw real progress and gains. Now not so much. I'm going to switch to Stronglifts after Thursday's workout for sure! I can't wait! I miss squats. :)

Hey, peace. You caught this early. That's good. Now's the time to get mad and use that energy to attack the problem from a new angle, and hit that sucker hard.

Not particularly Yoda-like advice, I know. Also, I second the concretecavewoman: if you love the barbell and you want some rapid gains, Stronglifts is a fantastic program.

I am. And I don't like it. The first phase was okay. It was a lot more basic in the the lifts and I saw real progress and gains. Now not so much. I'm going to switch to Stronglifts after Thursday's workout for sure! I can't wait! I miss squats. :)

You're on stage 2, yes? Give stage 3 a try -- I really liked the A workout. (The B workout was kind of boring though.) The A workout has an awesome bodyweight finisher -- 24 squats followed immediately by 12 lunges (each leg) followed immediately by 12 jump lunges followed immediately by 24 jump squats. And when I say "followed immediately" I mean that's the goal -- I never quite managed it, though I did get my pauses to be pretty short by the end. Stage 3 has a lot of exercises where you focus on one side of the body at a time (like the partial single leg squats) which are great for building strength.

It also helped that since I only had two non-consecutive days when I had the time for a workout that long, I picked other things to do so I had at least three lifting days. I experimented with throwing in sets of Turkish Get-Ups (awesome) and basic full-body routines that I could do in half an hour (squats, horizontal pull-ups, shoulder press, swissball crunches holding a weight overhead) and some upper/lower body split routines. So it took longer to complete the stages, but I had more variety.

But in the end, do what you like!

Hey, peace. You caught this early. That's good. Now's the time to get mad and use that energy to attack the problem from a new angle, and hit that sucker hard.

Exactly!

Not particularly Yoda-like advice, I know. Also, I second the concretecavewoman: if you love the barbell and you want some rapid gains, Stronglifts is a fantastic program.

Haha all advice from Yoda is intrinsically Yodan (yup, made that up). But yes, I do love the barbell and have been itchin' to try SL for some time now.

10/8

Played Kishi's Card Game! I got through all but 6 cards in 20 minutes... excuse me while I do my bad ass dance! Slightly modified game by making each suit a different exercise. I suspect doing fewer would be harder and I think I'll try it again that way.

Exercises used:

Hearts-Burpees

Diamonds-Squats

Clubs-Push up

Spades-Mountain climbers

I wanted to do some kind of pull ups or inverted rows but I can't actually do pull ups and I've yet to find a decent set up in my apartment for inverted rows. I'm going to work on that for next time. My wrists were killing me on this (whiny wrists+concrete floor=ouchtown).

I think I may get my Zumba on tonight. Now that I'm feeling better I want to move muh body.... that and I'm sure to be eating some cake today. My birthday is tomorrow and our office participates in the forever awkward but obligatory cake and singing celebration thing.

so many things to say!!

1.) awesome progression. you were doing a ton of crazy challenging things with NROL, but i'm super excited to hear you're moving to stronglifts. it sounds like that's where you belong and will hopefully continue to see gains. i also think you and i pretty even in terms of most weights with lifts, so it'll be fun to compare notes and weights. Also, i think i noticed that you upped your deadlift weight - CONGRATS! and i'm glad you're feeling better! you didn't let the sickness stop you from winning, so Totally Awesome NF Badge for you, madam!

2.) For the pushups, everyone offered great advice, and i'll add my two cents as well - you could give the hundredpushups.com thing a try. not that you want to do 100 pushups, but the progression schedule really does do wonders for moving up in numbers. just a thought!

3.) YOUR BIRTHDAY IS TOMORROW?! exciting, exciting. zumba if up, lady, cause you survived another year and only grew stronger as you did it. must find ridiculous internet pic to post on your thread...

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines